Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA - version 8.5.1.19, Now Available! (UPDATED)

Comments

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

Please file a support ticket, if you still don't have it.

Looks like the store had a hiccup with the cache that Install manager uses over the weekend.

Still don't have it. Oh well...

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DAZ have only been into the office for 45 minutes at the time of writing.

Please wait a little while.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

DAZ have only been into the office for 45 minutes at the time of writing.

Please wait a little while.

this has been going on for weeks - its not the first time

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited May 2015

Mythmaker said:
    Please file a support ticket, if you still don't have it.

Looks like the store had a hiccup with the cache that Install manager uses over the weekend.

Still don't have it. Oh well...

Have you had a chance to file a support ticket for this yet? Others have been caught by whatever glitch on the backend that didn't grant every Carrara person access to the Beta and Support has been fixing those that open a ticket.

Post edited by Milo on
  • MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited May 2015

Filed a report, within 2 days got response - the beta is in my product library now. Thanks.

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

I have Carrara 8.5 Pro appearing as an Update in my Install Manager. Has the product come out of beta or is this a hiccup? Should I ignore?

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Here the same...

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    I have Carrara 8.5 Pro appearing as an Update in my Install Manager. Has the product come out of beta or is this a hiccup? Should I ignore?
    Not a hiccup. It is an update.
    edited December 1969

Would be nice to know, whats new... ;-)

edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    The release post is supposed to be updated.

What you have already seen in the Beta plus the ability to adjust the font size is what is new. :)

edited December 1969

plus the ability to adjust the font size is what is new. :)

Great!
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:

What you have already seen in the Beta plus the ability to adjust the font size is what is new. :)

The font size alone will be worth it!

Anything that those of us that haven't used the beta should be aware of? Should we use the Valentina PostGRWhattsit data base converter thingy?

edited December 1969

EddyMI said:

The font size alone will be worth it!

Anything that those of us that haven't used the beta should be aware of? Should we use the Valentina PostGRWhattsit data base converter thingy?If you were using Valentina, it is highly recommended to switch to PostgreSQL. If the converter takes less than a couple seconds it didn't work. You can also reimport your Metadata using DS or Install Manager.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the quick reply, Spooky!

I just have started using C8.5 with the Valentina DB a few weeks ago. I don't actually have a lot on that computer, so I would actually be surprised if it took longer than a few seconds as the DB is really new and probably quite small. ;-)

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

So the Release and the new Beta release are the same at this time. If I am reading this correctly.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027
    edited December 1969

This thread is no longer stickied.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Sadly, I cannot say the same. :down:

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    ...because apparently version 8.5.1.19 (new update as of this writing) is no longer BETA, as it is now the Official Carrara 8.5 release version and the first post has been updated to include all of the new fixes and still includes info on the upgrade deal for owners of a previous version. Cool. Haven't had any time to play lately. Soon though!!!
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    So the Release and the new Beta release are the same at this time. If I am reading this correctly.

Yes.
    edited May 2015

I have been using DIM to install as much as possible. I used DIM to uninstall the Carrara release version and the beta. I also went through and uninstalled as much of my Carrara-dedicated content as possible, such as Howie Farkes forest scenes. I then reinstalled the Carrara release, and then my Carrara-dedicated content.

1) most things seem to be working so far - so thank you.
    2) unfortunately, I still get (can't find the texture map) for some products, such as some of Ringo's skin shaders.

"Some" is always a pain because it is so hard to figure out why. However, just using DP shader products as an example.

- I loaded the Genesis 2 female Aiko 6 character and dragged one of the DP Aiko 6 shaders to the multidomain globe. Loaded and rendered fine, so far so good.

- I loaded the Daz Dragon 3. I tried to apply one of the DP dragon 3 shaders. Carrara can't find the texture maps referenced by the shaders. See attached screenshot.

Now, this is not catastrophic because I can use DIM to locate the installed files for the dragon 3 in this case, but sometimes shader products only reference the name of the global shader, not the maps referenced within each domain. Then it becomes a big pain in the neck.

If I am using DIM to install all of the products, why can't the installed products find each other?

Using Windows 8. DIM is told to install Carrara and its content to D:\Stuff for Daz\Suff for Carrara. DIM is told to install Studio and its content to D:\Stuff for Daz\Stuff for Studio.

DIM_insall_locations_2.JPG
    614 x 495 - 59K
    cant_find_dragon_texture_map.JPG
    1845 x 898 - 198K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I have been using DIM to install as much as possible. I used DIM to uninstall the Carrara release version and the beta. I also went through and uninstalled as much of my Carrara-dedicated content as possible, such as Howie Farkes forest scenes. I then reinstalled the Carrara release, and then my Carrara-dedicated content.

1) most things seem to be working so far - so thank you.
    2) unfortunately, I still get (can't find the texture map) for some products, such as some of Ringo's skin shaders.

"Some" is always a pain because it is so hard to figure out why. However, just using DP shader products as an example.

- I loaded the Genesis 2 female Aiko 6 character and dragged one of the DP Aiko 6 shaders to the multidomain globe. Loaded and rendered fine, so far so good.

- I loaded the Daz Dragon 3. I tried to apply one of the DP dragon 3 shaders. Carrara can't find the texture maps referenced by the shaders. See attached screenshot.

Now, this is not catastrophic because I can use DIM to locate the installed files for the dragon 3 in this case, but sometimes shader products only reference the name of the global shader, not the maps referenced within each domain. Then it becomes a big pain in the neck.

If I am using DIM to install all of the products, why can't the installed products find each other?

Using Windows 8. DIM is told to install Carrara and its content to D:\Stuff for Daz\Suff for Carrara. DIM is told to install Studio and its content to D:\Stuff for Daz\Stuff for Studio.

Do you have all the content structures mapped in Carrara?
    edited December 1969

Hmm. I guess I don't know because I'm not sure I am understanding the question, but I assume so if you mean that Carrara's browser tray shows the content.

DIM installed the programs for Studio and Carrara and the content for both (to locations I selected, but otherwise default). DIM installed the DP shader products (in this example) to the Carrara browser, presumably to the location told to by the same DIM settings as were used when it installed the programs (see screenshot above).

So, for example, I can drag Howie Farkes' Beechdale Autumn Fog product from the Scene tab of the browser and all of the shaders load correctly. I can load a primitive, and apply a ceramic shader from the DP Shaders Vol II product (don't want to make this about DP products, it is more general).

But for some products, and I can't find the pattern, Carrara will prompt me to find a file (typically a texture map, but it has occurred with objs).

I hope it is something simple like I need to change a setting or add a content path, but the browser tray shows the scene, object, and shader paths for many Carrara-specific products, and many seem to be OK in general. In any case, how would I make sure that the content structures are mapped correctly in Carrara?

edited May 2015

diomede64 said:

Hmm. I guess I don't know because I'm not sure I am understanding the question, but I assume so if you mean that Carrara's browser tray shows the content.

DIM installed the programs for Studio and Carrara and the content for both (to locations I selected, but otherwise default). DIM installed the DP shader products (in this example) to the Carrara browser, presumably to the location told to by the same DIM settings as were used when it installed the programs (see screenshot above).

So, for example, I can drag Howie Farkes' Beechdale Autumn Fog product from the Scene tab of the browser and all of the shaders load correctly. I can load a primitive, and apply a ceramic shader from the DP Shaders Vol II product (don't want to make this about DP products, it is more general).

But for some products, and I can't find the pattern, Carrara will prompt me to find a file (typically a texture map, but it has occurred with objs).

I hope it is something simple like I need to change a setting or add a content path, but the browser tray shows the scene, object, and shader paths for many Carrara-specific products, and many seem to be OK in general. In any case, how would I make sure that the content structures are mapped correctly in Carrara?Opening Install Manager, how many directory paths do you have for Content (Non-Bryce Content)? Are each of those also in Carrara?

The products you are having problems with, are they all installed through Install Manager?

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited May 2015

My post above has a screenshot of the install locations for DIM. Carrara content goes to Stuff for Carrara. Studio content goes to Stuff for Studio.

To illustrate this example, I will start with the base Studio product. DIM installed the original product (Daz's Dragon 3) to the content folder "Stuff for Studio", which shows up as the default duf-type folder for my Genesis, Gensis 2, Dragon 3,... type content folder for Studio. See screenshot in my first post. That product included a set of texture maps in the "runtime" folder, which in this case is in "Stuff for Studio" because of my DIM settings. See attached screenshots. I can load the base product directly from the content tab and it will load fine, and Carrara loads the texture maps with no problem. Also in screenshots.

The Carrara product (DP Daz Dragon 3 Shaders) references texture maps that were part of the Studio product. However, the DIM list of installed files for theDP product shows the location of the carrara cbr file, but not the texture maps referenced by those cbr files. See attached screen shot.

So, in this case, I can solve it by using DIM to locate the texture map files associated with the base product which are in the Studio runtime. Then, when prompted by Carrara to find the missing files when applying the DP dragon shader, I can navigate to the correct location and then Carrara can load the files.

- Carrara can find the texture maps from their location when loading Dragon 3 base product.
    - Carrara can't find the same texture maps when referenced by the DP Dragon 3 Shaders for Carrara.

Everything was installed by DIM.

DP_dragon_3_install_location_3b.jpg
    1909 x 998 - 378K
    DP_dragon_3_install_location_2b.jpg
    1120 x 738 - 428K
    DP_dragon_shader_install_location_1b.jpg
    1119 x 529 - 151K
    DP_dragon_3_install_location_1a.jpg
    1114 x 795 - 386K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

did you get an answer to this one Diomede?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Diomede :)

I don't have the same issue,. with the dragon textures,...

In theory,. DIM should install the dragon texture maps to the Daz Content,. since it's a daz model.

The Carrara shaders,. are built to reference those textures in the daz content,. and they should know where that Daz content is located, without needing to be pointied at the location.  the location should be set in the shaders.

The same proinciple should apply to other carrara shaders, which reference the original product textures, or additional texture sets,. those textures should be installed into the Daz Studio Content, or Poser content,. and referenced by the carrara shaders.

the DIM list of installed files for theDP product shows the location of the carrara cbr file, but not the texture maps referenced by those cbr files

thats' right,. Since the shaders product doesn't include any textures,. or install any texture maps,. then it should not have any reference to any texture maps in the installed files list in DIM

the reference to where the texture map files are located,.. should be built into the carrara Shaders,.

- Carrara can find the texture maps from their location when loading Dragon 3 base product.
    - Carrara can't find the same texture maps when referenced by the DP Dragon 3 Shaders for Carrara.

Try opening one of the shaders,. (don't point it to any textures),. then look in the texture map slots to see where the location is pointing it to

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I saw "Carrara 8.5 BETA" and thought for a minute that they had actually released the version that supports Genesis 3 - I got all excited - and then got all disappointed again...

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Be still my beating heart.....sigh.... and Misty's been 'played'. Maybe they are close to it then? broken heart Silene

No, I did not get an answer. For simple things like shaders, it is no big deal.  Sometimes, as described in my posts, simply trying to load the figures and apply the shaders nomrally results in a missing file error and a dialogue asking to browse to the missing file.  This occurs even if I have made sure to load the missing file in another shader in the same scene so that I know Carrara is capable of finding the file.  Not a big deal in this case because I can attempt to load, get the error once, track down the missing texture map, and satisfy the error browse request.  I then save the fixed shader with the word Loaded in the title and am good to go forever more.

A bigger problem is that DIM sometimes installs new Carrara scene files to (seemingly) random locations.  This is not limited to 8.5 though so you may have already experienced it for one of the recent TangoAlpha or PhilW products.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I've checked my next set, and the install paths from DIM are good. Still waiting on a release date though. Meanwhile, cracking on with the set after that!