Geometry Switching Tab in Daz 4.7?

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm using an outfit from Share CG (Boba Fett armor http://www.sharecg.com/v/60337/)

It says it uses the "Geometry Switching Tab" to change some parts of the outfit.

Looking thru the file structure, I've found the .obj files it switches between, and can duplicate and edit the .cr2 files to let me use the alternate instead...
But I can't find the a tab/control in the program that would let me swtich...does it exist?

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2015

Expand the helmet down to the Head bone and you'll get a Switch_head selector in the parameters pane. For the chest piece it's in the Chest bone and says Switch_chest. If there are supposed to be more, you'll need to check the other bones for switch dropdowns.

I have to say that's pretty neat. I haven't seen anything with that before.. at least not that I've used/found.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

AH! I see it now...

Looks like ALSO that option gets erased if you autofit to G2F (which I had done). So, now I know!

edited December 1969

See if using the transfer utility retains those options. It tends to retain morphs and custom bones where autofit obliterates them. Sickle has a tutorial on Deviantart on preserving Gen4 custom bones and such using the transfer utility. http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Saving-Gen-4-Custom-Bones-on-Conversion-417250347

She mentions her SRMS templates, but you don't need them for it.

edited December 1969

Hmm.. Guess I'll finaly get around to trying to learn about Transfer utility.

I'm finding that on the plus side, Autofitting the armor let's it grow correctly for body type changes... BUT, it turns it into "cloth" rather than armor when posing....gonna post another thread on this for thoughts.

edited December 1969

Yea, most of those bits that are supposed to remain hard objects will melt with autofit. Transfer utility may help since it preserves custom bones.

edited December 1969

I'll look at Sickle's tutorial tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Yea, most of those bits that are supposed to remain hard objects will melt with autofit.

Yeah, you need to define rigidity groups, too, in order to keep the 'hard' parts hard.

Between the rigidity and the preserving the bones, it should stay pretty much 'armor'.

edited December 1969

Ok, did a test.

The Geometry switch vanishes when I do the first step in the tutorial. "In Scene Tab, go to edit—rigging—convert figure to weight mapping. Choose TriAx."

I'm not going to stress that. I made a .cr2 that loads the Rocketback loaded version which I find is better if I use it as a solid prop anyway, so it doesn't warp with morphs. It loads with the full chest suit, but changing the Opacity on the stuff takes care of that.

MJC: how do you "define rigidity groups"? The ones I made from the transfer did seem more rigid than the autofit one.

edited December 1969
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

This is great news. I have a shirt I wanted to give some different collar options, rather than doing morphs, this would really come in handy I think!

edited December 1969

RamWolf: good luck. I see how it works in the CR2 file, there's an ""alternateGeom" field. Don't know how that works in an actual DAZ thing..or if it works in Genesis 2 level stuff, since that field vanishes when weight mapping. But i have very little idea what I'm doing :)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*_

On the armor...I did the transfer tutorial on the different parts (not the boots, as my autofit version had a nice flexability with poses I want to make sure I keep).

BUT, the helmet didn't work. As you can see in the picture, it seperated, weirdly (since that's not part of the geometry). Not a big deal in this case.. I did a "convert to prop" and parented it. (Not sure what Convert to Prop really does for me here.. did the same for the parented rocket pack). I would like to know if there's a way to avoid that seperation for later knowledge.

(And the wearable preset of the whole outfit works..woo)

Screenshot_2015-05-12_01.02_.08_.png
    794 x 969 - 254K
    Screenshot_2015-05-12_00.44_.26_.png
    450 x 406 - 69K
  • NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

Ya Wolf, I don't think that's going to be an option. I had a similar need on some projects and asked around.
    At first I was told to do Geo-Grafting but that broke the conforming ability of the main clothing, I guess it has been long enough I could try it again?

Scavenger, from the looks of the converted mask it appears the mesh is not a solid mesh. Was smoothing applied in that first image?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Well that sucks ... OK.. no biggie, I can try just making separate collars and having them load in to the shirt and not the main figure... Stupid that DAZ didn't have this working right.

edited December 1969

Nadino said:

Scavenger, from the looks of the converted mask it appears the mesh is not a solid mesh. Was smoothing applied in that first image?

There's a something modifier applied by Transfer Utility (that's what sickle's tutorial said to do) but I haven't fiddled with that..
    I'll try it again and check if that's the issue.

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    Nadino said:

There's a something modifier applied by Transfer Utility (that's what sickle's tutorial said to do) but I haven't fiddled with that..
    I'll try it again and check if that's the issue.

K, I would skip that part of the tutorial (don't put a check in the box next to "Add Smoothing Modifier") and see if it still does that.

edited December 1969

I did the procedure as the tutorial said, BUT after it made the split helmet, I turned smoothing to off and it popped it back together like it should.

So, now what I need to figure out is, do I do this with the helmet, or do I stick with the Helmet as Object. What the real difference is there.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure of the best way to handle the helmet...but I would just 'weld' it in a modeler and be done with it.

edited December 1969

Yes, welding would be a good thing to do if you are going to be using the smoothing modifier on it.
    But I'm sure it will be just fine to keep it as a prop and parent it. :)

edited December 1969

Nadino said:
    Yes, welding would be a good thing to do if you are going to be using the smoothing modifier on it.

But it doesn't originally load as a prop...it loads from a CR2 as a conformer.

Although a parented prop would probably be the easiest thing to do with it.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Nadino said:

But it doesn't originally load as a prop...it loads from a CR2 as a conformer.

Although a parented prop would probably be the easiest thing to do with it.

Yes, I know that. Turning it into a prop would be best since it doesn't need to be morphing (other than scaling) with the figure. ;)

edited December 1969

WEll my big question I was just about to post is ...what's the difference between the two?

Pros cons of prop vs clothes?

edited December 1969

Well finished my pic ...posted it here:
    Thanks for the help all!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/820392/