How to migrate Daz3D user shortcuts, workspaces, scripts menu

mwasielewski1990mwasielewski1990 Posts: 315
edited October 2023 in Daz Studio Discussion

... I'm about to update from 4.20 to 4.21 through Install Manager. Is there a way to keep all user settings? (Workspaces, my custom shortcuts, /scripts menu, etc.).

I remember that after migrating from one of the previous versions to 4.20 I had to re-do everything I mentioned above...

Post edited by mwasielewski1990 on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,757
    edited May 2023

No, you don't need to do any 'user settings migration' after such an upgrade (from 4.20 - 4.21), they won't be changed.  Btw, all the user custom settings are in the folders: '%AppData%\DAZ 3D\Studio4\' and '%AppData%\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build\', you can back them up, just in case...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,028

mwasielewski1990 said:

... I'm about to update from 4.20 to 4.21 through Install Manager. Is there a way to keep all user settings? (Workspaces, my custom shortcuts, /scripts menu, etc.).

I remember that after migrating from one of the previous versions to 4.20 I had to re-do everything I mentioned above...

You usually don't need to do anything to keep those after updating. If there's something missing, usually reapplying your saved layout and using "Window>Workspace>Update and Merge Menus" is enough to fix it. 

Another thing is that if you install a beta it won't have the customizations you made in the general release and vice versa, as they have different settings.

• And how about custom keyboard shortcuts? I have a lot of them, is there any specific file where they are stored?

• They are in the %appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/ folder (for current settings) or the user layouts subfolder (for saved layouts) - customactions.dsx and actions.dsx

• Richard Haseltine said:

They are in the %appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/ folder (for current settings) or the user layouts subfolder (for saved layouts) - customactions.dsx and actions.dsx

Thanks Richard!

• Richard Haseltine said:

This is a helpful script for transferring the layout http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/general_ui/copy_ui_from_channel/start

Thanks but I have no clue how to use scripts in daz :)

• Download it, using the link above the code, and then drag it itno the Viewport (or use file>Merge, or if you place it in a content directory just double-click it in the content pane  - for the General release you can also just double-click the downloaded file in a regular file browser, but that won't run it in the Public Build (beta).