Alchemist Turns Lead into Gold with Medieval Village Construction Kit

hjakehjake Posts: 812

I am considering buying https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-village-construction-kit and I have https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-village-houses-construction-set and https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-village-mansions-construction-set

1. Are the pieces in the new set interchangeable with the previous sets?

2. Any likelihood there is a product coming out to provide a set of interior kits to compliment the MVCS, MVMC, and MVHC exteriors?

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,739
    edited May 2023

I think they are just the constructions with different styles, designs and layouts. If you wanna 'interchange the pieces', you may certainly do it. Just as the autor (The Alchemist) said: Your imagination is the only limitation ~ blush

As to point 2:  I found the products have already provided separate interior and exterior surfaces esp, in MVCK, you may check the prod description and promo pics..

Post edited by crosswind on
  • hjakehjake Posts: 812
    edited May 2023

crosswind said:

I think they are just the constructions with different styles, designs and layouts. If you wanna 'interchange the pieces', you may certainly do it. Just as the autor (The Alchemist) said: Your imagination is the only limitation ~ blush

As to point 2:  I found the products have already provided separate interior and exterior surfaces esp, in MVCK, you may check the prod description and promo pics..

I just loaded https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-village-houses-construction-set ; and you are correct there is a basic interior. So that is a start.

I will have unweld the doors from the base with geometry editor and add some door handles and hinges for entry and exit shots. Also, I will have to make a faux interior to cover interior geometry overlaps and provide a better basic interior to replicate a full details separate interior.  As an alternative I could make a full detail interior and use Affinity Photo to overlay the exterior for entry shots.

MVH-Townhouse-Preset-01-exterior.png
    800 x 800 - 828K
    MVH-Townhouse-Preset-01-interior.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by hjake on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,739

hjake said:

crosswind said:

I just loaded https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-village-houses-construction-set ; and you are correct there is a basic interior. So that is a start.

I will have unweld the doors from the base with geometry editor and add some door handles and hinges for entry and exit shots. Also, I will have to make a faux interior to cover interior geometry overlaps and provide a better basic interior to replicate a full details separate interior.  As an alternative I could make a full detail interior and use Affinity Photo to overlay the exterior for entry shots.

Neat ideas! yes

thanks crosswind

• 1. The new MVCK is built on the same scale and grid system as the others MV series, and designed to be interchangeable with each other. Some scaling can also be applied to achieve the layout you need.

2. No plans to do interiors for the earlier sets at present, but note that the new MVCK has functional door sections and all parts are fully textured on both sides to allow construction of interior and exterior layouts. There are a few functional doors and finished interiors in some of the pieces from the earlier sets, but those were primarily designed with large exterior shots in mind where excessive poly count is prohibitive. The interior floors in those closed sets were included mainly so as to have something visible through the windows. Most kitbash type sets on the market have no interiors at all. Will give some thought to additional interiors in future.

3. Love the title of this thread.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

I am really pleased at the clever design of the displacement to juggle the demands of a render.

Being able to easily boost the quality and detail for something close to the camera while not wasting resources on more distant buildings... great idea, and executed well.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

Having bought the two previous sets, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one. The detail  and texture of these buildings is very impressive.

The perfect backdrop for my favourite archmage. 

Top of next week's shopping list. 

Cheers,

Alex.

The Alchemist said:

1. The new MVCK is built on the same scale and grid system as the others MV series, and designed to be interchangeable with each other. Some scaling can also be applied to achieve the layout you need.

2. No plans to do interiors for the earlier sets at present, but note that the new MVCK has functional door sections and all parts are fully textured on both sides to allow construction of interior and exterior layouts. There are a few functional doors and finished interiors in some of the pieces from the earlier sets, but those were primarily designed with large exterior shots in mind where excessive poly count is prohibitive. The interior floors in those closed sets were included mainly so as to have something visible through the windows. Most kitbash type sets on the market have no interiors at all. Will give some thought to additional interiors in future.

1. Thank you for specifying that. This is on my wishlist for next splurge :-)

2. I understand about not including interiors since this is meant for exterior scenes and adding more mesh/textures is not desirable. I was thinking more along the lines on premade/scaled 6 plane boxes with cut-outs for windows and doors that have default wall/ceiling/floor shaders. I can make these myself but since you already went to the trouble of making the different box sizes to create exteriors it would nice to have the interior inserts that I could quickly custoimize and furnish for for scenes close enough to see into windows and doors. If you every do feel inclined to add that perk, you will be the bestest, most greatest, awesomest person ever in the whole wide world. I would try to flatter you but modesty prevents. :-)   Either way your products are great and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

3. Hey with all that gold you are making send some my way!!!  :-)

• hjake said:

1. Thank you for specifying that. This is on my wishlist for next splurge :-)

2. I understand about not including interiors since this is meant for exterior scenes and adding more mesh/textures is not desirable. I was thinking more along the lines on premade/scaled 6 plane boxes with cut-outs for windows and doors that have default wall/ceiling/floor shaders. I can make these myself but since you already went to the trouble of making the different box sizes to create exteriors it would nice to have the interior inserts that I could quickly custoimize and furnish for for scenes close enough to see into windows and doors. If you every do feel inclined to add that perk, you will be the bestest, most greatest, awesomest person ever in the whole wide world. I would try to flatter you but modesty prevents. :-)   Either way your products are great and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

3. Hey with all that gold you are making send some my way!!!  :-)

Noted. After all, who wouldn't want to be the bestest, most greatest, awesomest person ever in the whole wide world? Moved it up the "to do" list several spots. :)

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 631

The Alchemist said:

1. The new MVCK is built on the same scale and grid system as the others MV series, and designed to be interchangeable with each other. Some scaling can also be applied to achieve the layout you need.

I really love your kits and they're an insta-buy for me; I expecially love the modularity of last one an the freedom it gives me in building my own houses. Would really love also an interior props kit featuring all things furniture (fireplaces, too!) and props you can find in medieval-fantasy house. Maybe you could do different ones styled in peasant-merchant-noble-magician/adventurer looks, so people could buy the ones more fitted to their needs. 

• Ruthven said:

The Alchemist said:

I really love your kits and they're an insta-buy for me; I expecially love the modularity of last one an the freedom it gives me in building my own houses. Would really love also an interior props kit featuring all things furniture (fireplaces, too!) and props you can find in medieval-fantasy house. Maybe you could do different ones styled in peasant-merchant-noble-magician/adventurer looks, so people could buy the ones more fitted to their needs. 

Noted and also added to the list. Thanks!

Noted and also added to the list. Thanks!

That really would be great, thank you!

It also came to my mind that if you're creating multi-story houses interiors, stairs would be needed for going up and down from ground to upper ones.

Anothe thing that would be good for the exteriors would be shuttered windows that could be open for daytime renders and closed for night ones (or when there are monsters lurking around)

• Ruthven said:

It also came to my mind that if you're creating multi-story houses interiors, stairs would be needed for going up and down from ground to upper ones.

Anothe thing that would be good for the exteriors would be shuttered windows that could be open for daytime renders and closed for night ones (or when there are monsters lurking around)

I believe all of the shutters from all of the MV sets are fully rigged, with glass materials on all windows, and most have emissive planes or materials that can be turned on/off as well. But I may have missed one or two. Not all of the windows have shutters, however, so maybe add-on shutter sets would be useful.

I did provide some exterior stairs in the past few sets, but interior ones will certainly be needed for full interior builds, so will add that to the list as well.

The Alchemist said:

Ruthven said:

I believe all of the shutters from all of the MV sets are fully rigged, with glass materials on all windows, and most have emissive planes or materials that can be turned on/off as well. But I may have missed one or two. Not all of the windows have shutters, however, so maybe add-on shutter sets would be useful.

I did provide some exterior stairs in the past few sets, but interior ones will certainly be needed for full interior builds, so will add that to the list as well.

Yes, I only found shutters for the round windows, so far. And I really need internal stairs. My wallet's going to become lighter... sigh! And thank you wink

• WhiskeyjackWhiskeyjack Posts: 51
    edited May 2023

Hi The Alchemist, I just found your Medieval Village Construction Kit, and I absolutely adore it! No offence to other vendors here in the store, but I don't think I'll ever want - or need - to buy another medieval/fantasy set or structure again! There are some fantastic medieval/fantasy sets on the store, but I always prefer building my own sets from scratch wherever possible - both for the freedom to rearrange or expand the sets as I need, and also because it reminds me of my days playing The Sims! XD The modularity you provide in your sets is exactly what I need, and the way everything snaps together exactly right is just perfection. Amazing stuff, thanks a lot, man!

I know you primarily do medieval/fantasy sets, but can I ask if you’ve ever considered sets for modern/contemporary or futuristic/SciFi settings? I’ve seen some modular construction kits around, but none with anywhere near the level of detail, modularity and precision offered in your kits. (You would not believe the amount of time I’ve spent just trying to kitbash a door or window onto a frame, and then onto a wall in a room…).

Post edited by Whiskeyjack on
  • Whiskeyjack said:

Hi The Alchemist, I just found your Medieval Village Construction Kit, and I absolutely adore it! No offence to other vendors here in the store, but I don't think I'll ever want - or need - to buy another medieval/fantasy set or structure again! There are some fantastic medieval/fantasy sets on the store, but I always prefer building my own sets from scratch wherever possible - both for the freedom to rearrange or expand the sets as I need, and also because it reminds me of my days playing The Sims! XD The modularity you provide in your sets is exactly what I need, and the way everything snaps together exactly right is just perfection. Amazing stuff, thanks a lot, man!

I know you primarily do medieval/fantasy sets, but can I ask if you’ve ever considered sets for modern/contemporary or futuristic/SciFi settings? I’ve seen some modular construction kits around, but none with anywhere near the level of detail, modularity and precision offered in your kits. (You would not believe the amount of time I’ve spent just trying to kitbash a door or window onto a frame, and then onto a wall in a room…).

Hey Whiskeyjack, thanks so much for the kind comments! It's always nice to hear from people who are enjoying and benefiting from my work. It keeps me motivated to do ever better in the future.

As to your question, absolutely yes! I have plans to do a set of post-apocalyptic/dystopian kits next, and would love to do some real-world stuff as well. Those will be a while yet, though, as I am currently working on a "Medieval Village Destruction Kit" with modular ruins and stuff on fire for battle scenes!

There are so many things I want to do, but it takes a lot of time to get the level detail in that I like to have in my products. So I really appreciate your taking time to share your thoughts to let me know it's all been worth the extra effort. I'm glad that I could help facilitate your worldbuilding. I'm a long-time fan of Sims as well, which is something I definitely draw on for inspiration.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

The Alchemist said:

Whiskeyjack said:

Hey Whiskeyjack, thanks so much for the kind comments! It's always nice to hear from people who are enjoying and benefiting from my work. It keeps me motivated to do ever better in the future.

As to your question, absolutely yes! I have plans to do a set of post-apocalyptic/dystopian kits next, and would love to do some real-world stuff as well. Those will be a while yet, though, as I am currently working on a "Medieval Village Destruction Kit" with modular ruins and stuff on fire for battle scenes!

There are so many things I want to do, but it takes a lot of time to get the level detail in that I like to have in my products. So I really appreciate your taking time to share your thoughts to let me know it's all been worth the extra effort. I'm glad that I could help facilitate your worldbuilding. I'm a long-time fan of Sims as well, which is something I definitely draw on for inspiration.

Medieval Village Destruction Kit?  Count me in, guys.  This would make a great backdrop for Herschel Hoffmeyer's awsome Wyvern.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• alexhcowley said:

The Alchemist said:

Whiskeyjack said:

Medieval Village Destruction Kit?  Count me in, guys.  This would make a great backdrop for Herschel Hoffmeyer's awsome Wyvern.

Cheers,

Alex. 

Absolutely. Will be sure to put the HH Wyvern in the promo pics!

• WhiskeyjackWhiskeyjack Posts: 51

The Alchemist said:

Awesome, delighted to hear it! Completely understand that it'll take you a while to get around to those settings; it's clear to see that you put a ton of effort into the details, and go to great lengths to make them as modular and flexible as possible so they can be used in any setting. So take as much time as you need, I know they’ll be worth the wait in the end!

And looking forward to your "Medieval Village Destruction Kit" too!

Other suggestions for the "Medieval houses interns" add-on:

- internal walls and doors (and archs), "barrel-shaped" ceilings

- fences for internal stairs and balconies

- colums to support internal structures of large dimensions (i.e. I'm currently working on a 7,5 mt x 7,5 mt house, and I need support pillars to make it vaguely believable).

Thank you! :-D

• Ruthven said:

- colums to support internal structures of large dimensions (i.e. I'm currently working on a 7,5 mt x 7,5 mt house, and I need support pillars to make it vaguely believable).

Noted. All good ideas! Particularly banisters and railings to create lofts and galleries, with columns to support them. Added to the list!

The Alchemist said:

Ruthven said:

Noted. All good ideas! Particularly banisters and railings to create lofts and galleries, with columns to support them. Added to the list!

I start feeling like I'm writing my little letter to Santa Claus! XD

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763

I just bought this kit and DIM won't let me download it so it will install. It keeps stalling so the download buttons says "Retry." I've rebooted in case my internet was having hiccups, but it's still failing to download and install. The product page says it's for DAZ Studio 4.21 and that's what I have. Before I put in a ticket, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with this set and what did you do to get it to download and install?

• melanie said:

I just bought this kit and DIM won't let me download it so it will install. It keeps stalling so the download buttons says "Retry." I've rebooted in case my internet was having hiccups, but it's still failing to download and install. The product page says it's for DAZ Studio 4.21 and that's what I have. Before I put in a ticket, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with this set and what did you do to get it to download and install?

This is the first I've heard of that issue. Please open a ticket, and/or post a thread over in Technical Help. They'll get you sorted.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763

The Alchemist said:

melanie said:

This is the first I've heard of that issue. Please open a ticket, and/or post a thread over in Technical Help. They'll get you sorted.

It turned out to be something going on at DAZ. I found other items doing the same thing so I put in a ticket. It's fixed now, so it wasn't the Village that was the problem, but something causing a download issue from DAZ. All's well now. 

• melanie said:

It turned out to be something going on at DAZ. I found other items doing the same thing so I put in a ticket. It's fixed now, so it wasn't the Village that was the problem, but something causing a download issue from DAZ. All's well now. 

Good to know. Enjoy!