Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:
    All y'all are wrong. Due to the looming disaster known as Windows 8, DAZ will finally make a 64bit Linux version.

Naaa People will just stop buying windows and start buying Macs :)

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    ropeman said:
    All y'all are wrong. Due to the looming disaster known as Windows 8, DAZ will finally make a 64bit Linux version.

buying macs, no thx! = overpriced hardware. :coolsmirk: (hackintosh or linux for sure) :P

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    ropeman said:

Uh... NEVER! I'm not a MAC fan in the least! Don't argue, just accept that there are those that don't do animation nor like MACS! ;-)

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

RAMWolff said:
    Ivy said:
    ropeman said:

Uh... NEVER! I'm not a MAC fan in the least! Don't argue, just accept that there are those that don't do animation nor like MACS! ;-) Definitely NOT! I've been a computer technician (that's what we called ourselves before they coined the term IT professional) since the early 80's I've dealt with Macs since they first came out, and I HATE them. They are over priced and over rated. Believe it or not they use many of the same off-the-shelf parts as many other computers. (i.e. Drives, memory, etc.) but buying them through Apple to get the Apple Certified replacement, will cost you 3 times as much. I won't even get into their proprietary bios, OS, and software. I'm not a big Linux fan either, as major software vendors don't support it, so if I have to run a Windows emulator to get the software I need, I might as well suffer Windows itself.

Post edited by Art_Junkie on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

And to think I was worried only that this thread would turn into an App war -let's pull back from the platform war, please.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Ivy said:
    ropeman said:

Uh... NEVER! I'm not a MAC fan in the least! Don't argue, just accept that there are those that don't do animation nor like MACS! ;-)

Who is arguing with you?
    Not I I don't like mac either?
    I was referring to the alternative to windows.
    I don;t even like the ipad.. that is why i got a Cruz. Android
    You people are way to touchy around here.

edited August 2012

Ivy said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Ivy said:

Double post removed
    I dunno why I keep getting double post on my tablet.. interesting though

Post edited by Ivy on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Why would you have to move up to windows 8? I know people that still use XP.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Yes. I'm one of them.
    Upgrading to new operating systems should be taken with great care.
    If you're getting the performance you want with your current system (ie your software works, etc) you might be wise to hold off.

I don't get a new operating system until I get a new machine, and that's only because it comes with the machine.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142
    edited December 1969

And to think I was worried only that this thread would turn into an App war -let's pull back from the platform war, please.
    Yeah, really.
    edited December 1969

Btw Richard, can I get my posting user name changed?
    edited August 2012

ManStan said:

when i got my system last year they didn't offer windows xp which is what I was use to and would have loved to have,
    I told myself no way in H3ll was gonna get a vista.. so i ended up with a windows 7 which to me is nothing more than a glorified windows vista. windows 7 is way different than xp the file system is screwy, you can't clean the registry, it has a ever growing winsxs file that can't been clean or rerouted.
    The Pagefile fetch directory using 10% of your memory unless you. either disable it or move it to another drive.
    Same with the hibernate file. took me 2 months to finely get it so i liked it.. and forget using windows restore it will eat up your primary ssd drive if you use it.

only one word of advice i can give with window 7 if you get with a SSD drive for the operating system make sure its a big one, because the registry and winsxs folders grow in size with every windows update. and you can only clean it once after you updated to sp1. I thought for sure a 65 gig ssd drive would be big enough just for my operating system .. boy was I wrong . SSD drive are not cheap

I was going to uninstall win7 and buy a new copy of XP 64.
    But unfortunately Microsoft will eventually stop supporting XP in another year or so like they did win98 in 2003 so that is why i didn't bother.

I like Linux, I But not many software companies offer support for it because it is open source. Does daz even support Linex?
    you hardly even see it listed in the requirements in the software specs.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Ivy

I didn't know all that about Windows 7.
    Do you think Windows 8 will be better or do you just think it can't be worse than what you already have?

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Ivy

Do you think Windows 8 will be better or do you just think it can't be worse than what you already have?

Not that it is on topic, bit Windows 8 is worse than Vista on the desktop. If you have a tablet, it will be better.
    edited August 2012

tsarist said:
    Ivy

I finely got to like windows 7 now.after moving the file system around and installing a drive for my back up. I tried windows 8 beta on my old system.
    It has a Metro Interface which runs like a App on a cell phone or tablet .. Microsoft will be releasing windows 8 on a tablet the same time they release windows 8 for PC in Nov this year.
    I think some people that are use to using tablets and Androids will love windows 8 but if your like me and liked windows xp you will hate windows 8

But you know how people hate change myself included.

you can read some reviews if you like
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/250887/windows_8_consumer_preview_initial_impressions.html?tk=rel_news
    and
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/251221/windows_8_reviews_a_roundup.html
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/251051/microsoft_takes_a_leap_of_faith_with_windows_8.html

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

New isn't better, just new.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    New isn't better, just new.

I didn't buy my NEW system because i wanted to use it just for daz & poser. thought that was a consideration
    I had to have NEW system because of the work i do. I needed to upgrade my Adobe Creative Suite from cs3 to cs5.5 I am Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator certified, and work for High country online LLc.

CS5.5 would not run on a xp especially using Photoshop extended 3D with my old graphic card. so it was necessary for me to have a new system.
    so sometimes new is better & necessary.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

You don't always have a choice - sometimes you use apps that require certain OS to work. I'd love to stay with XP, but am in the process of switching to Win7 because of a program that isn't going to install on XP anymore :(

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:
    Btw Richard, can I get my posting user name changed?

Send me a PM with the name you want, and a couple of variants or alternatives in case the first choice is taken.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited August 2012

ManStan said:

I know people who still use telephones with a dial. :-o

I know people who still get their music from needles wiggling in plastic grooves! :-o

XP was a great system for a time. But the operative word here is "was". The world has moved on and is producing different shaped pegs that no longer fit in a round hole.

I admit that I loved XP and still have three XP machines (HomePremium or Pro). However, the XP machines are just too $#@!%##$ slow! Memory size, CPU cores, CPU speed, bus speed, and modern software requirements all conspire to relegate my XP machines to the "off" state most of the time.

Everybody here in these forums (well at least the old timers) know I bitch about everything. But has anybody ever heard me bitch about Windows7? I absolutely love Windows7 and have three Win7 machines, (primary Win7-Pro; secondary Win7-HomePremium; laptop Win7-HomePremium). All very very stable. Yeah, the interface changed but the new arrangement (after you get used to it) seems to make more sense. I haven't tried Windows8 yet but based on what I've read about it I will probably bitch a little, at first, about the changes in the interface yet again but I believe that basicly, under the hood, it's still Windows7.

That being said... I plan on buying at least one extra copy of Windows7-Pro OEM to keep on-hand for any future machine that I might buy just in case Win8 turns out to be a real dog.

I even sort of liked WinVista but we all now realize that Vista was simply a Beta test of Windows7 that we all forked out $$$ to Microsoft to let us debug their software for them for three years. :( Thank god DAZ doesn't do that anymore! (*Snicker*).

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

Yes, that seems to be the philosophy "if it's new it has to be better" which just isn't true. Many times it simply "new and improved" ink in the printing on the box. A new Emachine from walmart isn't going to be better then this old acer. I could buy an older comp with an i7 and 16gig, it wouldn't be new, but it would be better then this old acer.

As I said, new just means new, it doesn't mean better.

edited December 1969

I am sorry my tongue-in-cheek nature of my comment was missed.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:

It sometimes depends on which cheeks the tongue is between! :-o

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2012

Whoa... mental imagery overload... LOL

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

lol well I originally followed this topic Bye Bye Daz because of one of the mods chiming in, but, the topic of OS is ok.
    I mean on PC computers Win 3.1 was a pretty good system compared to DOS because I got to use my mouse and games
    were starting to use that tech alot more, but, then MS upgraded to windows 95 and it was way better because plug in play was developed.
    and Windows 98 was even better then that....... But.......After that is when things kinda went baddddd. I never touched Vista, Me or 2000,
    in my opinion they all sucked based on testing I've done on stand-by systems. (I never seem to run my needed programs on those testing systems) I liked XP but it was a hard sell after all those "mistakes" MS made. And, Finally, Windows 7..... Lets just say I am really happy with how it works. Now I may have missed the early flaws it had but thats due to my experience in waiting for it to become stable (I wait to buy a computer with a newer OS and I stay away from the flaws of a new OS ;) )

• Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
    edited December 1969

Since Daz has moved all hysterically to Genesis I'm afraid the site have nothing to offer for me. So I will not renew my membership like many others. I have been a member for many years and really love V3-V4 and poser stuff, the platinum club stuff has decreased dramatically and not releasing props like they used to do.And I'm not a DS person. This is so sad, cause I enjoy this store. Good luck!
    Victor

I think if you will stick with us over the next couple of months, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the direction we are going with Genesis. I can't give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven. Stay tuned to the DAZ 3D Channel.

Like the German clock maker said to the broken clock: "Vee have vays to make you toc!"

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Isikol said:
    What on earth did you just said my good Admin? :O !????!

I wish I was at liberty to say more, but you will have to read into my post above. Sorry many more details will be coming...

Could it be???

It has to be.

What else could it be?

The Millennium Cow at last!!!

YAY!

Millenium Cube version 5!
    ...I'll still be using the Mil4 Cube Iconic Body Shape with GenX for now as it allows me to use all the Elite Gen4 Cube morphs and characters currently in my runtime.

...I also heard rumour of a Weight Mapped Mil4 Cube for PP2012.:)

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

any updates on genesis in poser working yet?

(BTW I love my mac.)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:

It sometimes depends on which cheeks the tongue is between! :-o

Hahaha... you naughty thing you! :P

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

wow this thread has evolved into something different entirely! lol