Do you use the 3d connexion space mouse with Daz studio or what app is good for you?

ChakradudeChakradude Posts: 249
edited September 2020 in The Commons

Well, I bought the  3d connexion space mouse to use in Daz Studio primarily. After following the reccomendations of people on the forum I have it working passibly but it will take a while to get use to the hypersensitivity. It occurs to me that If I used it in an app that it is easier to use in, I might make more progress faster. and possibly learn more 3d editing/modeling  in the process. so I have around $100 and would like to know what app you like that has good interface with it. I have been using Studio since version 2 but my editing and modeling skills are still primiative and I would like to improve on them. I know some people are frustrated by the limited support by Daz but I just want to get more use out of it (the space mouse) as it has such a beautiful feel to it. I know there is at least some Blender support but when I tried to use it I got frustrated as I am a complete noob in blender.

Hence the question:

What free or inexpensive 3d app makes good use of the space mouse and are there resources on learning how to use it?

Also, if you use it with Daz Studio what do you use it for mostly? I originally thought I would use it for moving objects around a scene but its not as easy as I had hoped.

Thanks,

Chakradude

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• In DAZ I exclusively use my SpaceMouse Compact for 3D scene navigation. In the menu go to Edit -> Device Settings... There I activated Orbit Camera.

I never change this. Now when working on a scene I can select e.g. the Universal Tool, select an object with the mouse and move it around with the mouse while simultaneously changing the view with the SpaceMouse.

Changing the view is still possible when scripts are open with their own user interface. One example where I use this all the time is Ultimate Pose Master. I can change the view in the background while the user interface is open. The script has it's own camera controls but just using the SpaceMouse is much faster and easier.

I also use the SpaceMouse in Blender 2.8 and 2.9 and also exclusively for 3D scene navigation. Unfortunately in Blender it is not possible to control two input devices simultaneously.

At first I also had no clue at all about modelling in Blender and stopped trying to work with it. After 2.8 was released I gave it another try and with the help of an Udemy course I use it everytime I need to model something.

Maybe you could invest the momey on learning how to model in Blender: I used https://www.udemy.com/share/101WbcCUcSdVdRQHw=/

The regular price is almost 190€ but courses are often heavily discounted! It may be worth the wait. I paid 12€ for the 65 hours great video tutorials!

• thanks for the feedback I can see I will be trying several of your suggestions!

I love video tutorials and it looks like they have a new user discount for 80% off! Unfortunately I found that I had previously made an account with them but never ended up buying anything so when I logged in the discount went away. sad and they have a 5 hour timer angry

Anyhow I look forward to trying your methods out thanks!

• Well I contacted them and they gave me the deal! I always appreciate decent customer service!

• Just an update while I wait for the new store to resolve... I am having a great experience with my 3d mouse and DS! It seems like its adjusted or I have ajusted and I use it all the time for moving the camera intuitively.

• Just an update while I wait for the new store to resolve... I am having a great experience with my 3d mouse and DS! It seems like its adjusted or I have ajusted and I use it all the time for moving the camera intuitively.

Glad you like your SpaceMouse with DAZ now! yes

• cajhincajhin Posts: 154

Welcome to the club :)

I just noticed that not having a SpaceMouse would be afwul now. After three months under my left hand it's completely second nature, the camera magically moves on its own where I need it to be, while I use the trackball with my right hand to pose figures at the same time.

@Markus, I use the LookAtMe script all the time, but somehow it gets confused when the viewport changes. Have you figured out a way to combine SpaceMouse and LookAtMe reliably?

• HamEinarHamEinar Posts: 106

Just got the SpaceMouse Compact - and LOVE it - but... is there some way to bypass any adjustment becoming undoable? (even in perspective view, any movement made using the SpaceMouse registers as camera transform - which is daft when using it to adjust poses & expressions...)

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,859

HamEinar said:

Just got the SpaceMouse Compact - and LOVE it - but... is there some way to bypass any adjustment becoming undoable? (even in perspective view, any movement made using the SpaceMouse registers as camera transform - which is daft when using it to adjust poses & expressions...)

You can also use it to position a camera, and you want that to be undoable. So it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of scenario.
  • HamEinarHamEinar Posts: 106
    ou can also use it to position a camera, and you want that to be undoable. So it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of scenario.

I 100% agree - but would be nice if that didn't happen in perspective view; rotating and adjusting this view using the regular controls is not added to the undo list. 

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,859

HamEinar said:

ou can also use it to position a camera, and you want that to be undoable. So it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of scenario.

I 100% agree - but would be nice if that didn't happen in perspective view; rotating and adjusting this view using the regular controls is not added to the undo list. 

Yeah that would be good.
  • I just picked one of these up on the secondary market and love it.  I used to use an old Spaceball 4000 FLX and still have it (just found it after almost forgetting I owned it) and got to thinking about that level of control, so I scoured ebay for one and found a good used one since trying to get a 20+ year old version working in Windows 11 and new versions of DAZ was just too much fiddling (requiring creating is custom adapters, etc...).

It works in DAZ, Poser, and Blender (and most other 3D design softwares on the market) natively.  There's some tweaks (specifically in the sensitivity settings) that you need to make to keep it usable.

For me, I use it exclusively for camera manipulation with my left hand and use the standard mouse for character/prop manipulation with my right hand (I have always found that character/prop manipulation using drag/drop to be problematic, so I use the wheels or direct value entry for those).  That combination just takes DAZ to the next level.  I've not used one of these controllers since I put my Spaceball away back in '03 or '04, so did not know how much I was missing it.  I thought about it every so often, but I do not regret the investment...it's a welcome and fun addition to my control systems.

• jd641jd641 Posts: 419

I don't think I could ever use DS without my SpaceMouse, the only issue I have is with the super sensitivity but I've adapted to it but if anyone has any tweaks they can share I'd love to see them.

• jd641 said:

I don't think I could ever use DS without my SpaceMouse, the only issue I have is with the super sensitivity but I've adapted to it but if anyone has any tweaks they can share I'd love to see them.I';d love  

Me too!   I had to give up using my Space Mouse with DS because of the ultra sensitivity. Just a touch and my camera would go nuts!  

• Hemi426Hemi426 Posts: 210
    edited April 2023
    But when you go into the advanced settings of the driver you should be able to adjust sensitivity for each axis? Just make sure you do not minimize Studio so you adjust the settings for studio. There is also the possibility to make some adjustments by editing the xml profile file. For example setting a deadband.
    Post edited by Hemi426 on
  • Hemi426 said:

But when you go into the advanced settings of the driver you should be able to adjust sensitivity for each axis? Just make sure you do not minimize Studio so you adjust the settings for studio. There is also the possibility to make some adjustments by editing the xml profile file. For example setting a deadband.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try adjusting the driver settings but no luck.  Sadly, I'm not comfortable / knowledgeable enough to edit things like xtml profile files

Here's how my settings look. It's in German, but you should get an idea. The really important thing is that you have Daz Studio open next to it, so it says "DAZStudio" in the driver. Each application has it's own profile.

ConnexionSettings.png
    1659 x 1067 - 975K
  • Hemi426 said:

Here's how my settings look. It's in German, but you should get an idea. The really important thing is that you have Daz Studio open next to it, so it says "DAZStudio" in the driver. Each application has it's own profile.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. smiley

To answer the initial question: I use the Space Mouse/Navigator in Blender, Hexagon, Google Earth and Studio of course. The only negative issue is the soft touch finish of the knob. After a couple of years it well wear. This is just a cosmetic problem.