Problems with 3D Paint.

i can paint color but when i try to paint bump or something else carrara crashes. I'm working on Mac on Mojave I think it has worked in the past. I think something is wrong again. Does anyone have an idea

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Sorry.  Working in Windows.  I did a quick test of painting in the bump channel on a simple vertex spehere.  Results were as expected.

test 3d paint bump.jpg
    1872 x 922 - 272K
    test 3d paint render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 19K
  • RuudLRuudL Posts: 189
    edited March 2023

Sorry for your troubles. First thing I would do is to remove all the 3rd party plugins just to rule out any problem with one of them. Just move them outside the Extensions folder into backup folder. So you end up with a clean Carrara installation. Then try using 3D paint again.

Are you using an input device ( like a drawing pen / tablet ) or just a standard mouse?

Hope it helps. 

Post edited by RuudL on
  • KhoeKhoe Posts: 288

RuudL said:

Sorry for your troubles. First thing I would do is to remove all the 3rd party plugins just to rule out any problem with one of them. Just move them outside the Extensions folder into backup folder. So you end up with a clean Carrara installation. Then try using 3D paint again.

Are you using an input device ( like a drawing pen / tablet ) or just a standard mouse?

Hope it helps. 

thanks for the information I use a Wacom tablet But I have the suspicion that my problem is caused by Parallels. I also noticed that the mouse also reacted a little late. that was at some point. I'll try removing the plugins first.

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited March 2023

I use  Carrara on a Mac running Mojave and find 3D paint kind of a hit or miss. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When I have issues like you're describing, I usually reboot my computer and start again with a fresh scene. It works some of the time. 

Post edited by BrianP21361 on

BrianP21361 said:

I use  Carrara on a Mac running Mojave and find 3D paint kind of a hit or miss. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When I have issues like you're describing, I usually reboot my computer and start again with a fresh scene. It works some of the time. 

this seems to be the same problem. sometimes it doesn't work again. I noticed that if you insert image textures into the objects and then simply overwrite them, it usually works. All very mysterious, maybe you should switch to something external, only what is good and inexpensive

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791

I have an old copy of Substance Painter, but Carrara was kind of a leader in 3D paint for a while. It was one of the only products that could paint across seams. I think there are others now. I just don't want to spend the money for a Substance upgrade because I don't use the feature very often.

Let me know if you find something good and inexpensive. 

BrianP21361 said:

I have an old copy of Substance Painter, but Carrara was kind of a leader in 3D paint for a while. It was one of the only products that could paint across seams. I think there are others now. I just don't want to spend the money for a Substance upgrade because I don't use the feature very often.

Let me know if you find something good and inexpensive. 

I looked around once in other forum what is used in such a way. Amro Paint was recommended. https://armorpaint.org/download.html From what I've seen it seems good and best of all it's free. I downloaded it to my computer and will try it out. I'm just having some trouble with the tutorials as I'm not that good at English, it's all trial and error :)