pricey :(

2»

Comments

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,238

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Oso3D said:

Also, if you've ever had any OTHER hobby... hobbies can be pretty expensive!

Try collecting model trains, or knitting, or most crafts, or golfing...

... or horse ownership ... Daz horse doesn't eat, need shoes or require vet services...

We had a horse when I was 8. Daz Horse won't kick you in the belly, bite you, or step on your toes.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,446

Oso3D said:

Well, for G9 you get the figure free, masculine and feminine shapes plus a bunch of proportions and tweaks, plus 8 skins (4 generally feminine, 4 generally masculine). Free clothing from prior generations can fit pretty well. Free hair (I assume there's free hair, that's less common than free clothing) can be tweaked to fit decently.

Plus, of course, all the non-figure-related free stuff. There's GOBS of free content out there, though you trade money for legwork trying to find what you want and trying to sift through workable content from drek.

For about $50-100 you can greatly expand the ability to tweak figures (the head and body shape packs), plus maybe add a few specific items.

So... you can be INCREDIBLY cheap with Daz and still produce interesting things. I think there are periodic contests of renders made with exclusively free content, that shows what people can accomplish.

I bought the G9 bundle essential shapes with body/head morphs, etc for less than $16 when on sale one day . So with that and the free figures, etc, I can create a lot of characters. 

edited March 2023

i also do 3d printing, both FDM and resin... that is a pretty expensive hobby as well. Hobbys used to be an inexpensive way, in general, to produce some cool stuff, collect, whatever, but it seems pretty mcuh everything is about making bucks from one end of it or the other. 
    But is the price worth it? If you enjoy the hobby, perhaps the cost isn't all that relevant. Spend what feels, and is, comfortable to you. Rising prices change things however. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,575

daveso said:

i also do 3d printing, both FDM and resin... that is a pretty expensive hobby as well. Hobbys used to be an inexpensive way, in general, to produce some cool stuff, collect, whatever, but it seems pretty mcuh everything is about making bucks from one end of it or the other. 
    But is the price worth it? If you enjoy the hobby, perhaps the cost isn't all that relevant. Spend what feels, and is, comfortable to you. Rising prices change things however. 

I wish I had inexpensive hobbies, LOL. I play golf and that is around $150 each time. I also shoot, so weapons, ammo, range fees, all adds up. I am also working towards a pilots locense, or was 10 years ago. I just fly now with several friends that have their license and split the cost and that is expensive as well. Then there is gaming, so the cost of a nigh end PC, the games and all the VR equipment I have bought really adds up. 3D rendering is probably the cheapest hobby I have at this point, LOL

• AgitatedRiot said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Oso3D said:

... or horse ownership ... Daz horse doesn't eat, need shoes or require vet services...

We had a horse when I was 8. Daz Horse won't kick you in the belly, bite you, or step on your toes.

Jeez what pepperpot horse soured your mind? 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,497
    edited March 2023

Tallulah Lioness said:

Ok, I've been wondering. Everybody seems to refer to Daz 3D as a 'hobby'. Why? Does nobody just download it and do it because it looks creative and they want to toy around with it? 

When one builds ones computer for Daz Studio and spends 3-6 thousand for it, I think it qualifies as a hobby.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Hobbies are generally time-consuming activites people do for fun or for personal fulfillment, which is set apart from professions, which you do with an expectation of being paid.

That said, one of the cool things about hobbyist CGI is that there's a lot of bleed between the two groups because of the burgeoning power of computers and rendering; a lot of decent sized CGI studios will use hobbyist/mid-range stuff as at least part of their process.

There are absolutely professional types who use Daz Studio. Before I became a vendor I took art commissions, so for me I was using Daz Studio in a professional capacity. I mean, veeeery small-time and independent, but professional.

Now that I'm a vendor, I feel a bit more comfortable considering myself a professional user, even if I sometimes look at WETA and other stuff and go... well, dang.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,783

Come join us in our monthly freebie contest, where all entries are created with (mostly) free assets!

See what other users can do with (mostly) free assets, and everything is sourced, so you can go and download the assets yourself. Make sure to check out our previous contests!

Also, you can win store credit.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,817
    edited March 2023

We have had to prune back the thread some as the conversation seemed to have devolved into TOS territory. Please remember when discussing things to keep the discussion to the topic rather than addressing each other and if you see a post that you feel may violates TOS, please report it rather than quoting or responding to it. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,028
    edited March 2023

It's rather amazing, isn't it? You can buy real shoes for $20, or buy digital, fake ones for the same price. The digital price seems unjustified given that the same (unwearable) pair is sold to thousands of people .... no duplication of natural resourced needed to make them, no extra machine or human labor to make additional pairs, not even and extra intellectual property, design or construction costs for extra pairs. Just a one-time, one off 3d creation that keeps giving and giving. The same can be said for other clothes and accessories sold. There is something not right about this.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,028
    edited March 2023

Masterstroke said:

Oso3D said:

Exactly yes 

Exactly .... not. I don't agree ... those other objects are tangible ... this one is not (it is digital, see my comments above).

Plus, when you exit the hobby, you can sell what you collected (stamps, collector cards, whatever), not with DAZ purchases. It's illegal. Apples and oranges comparison IMHO.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,041

mcorr said:

Masterstroke said:

Oso3D said:

Exactly yes 

Exactly .... not. I don't agree ... those other objects are tangible ... this one is not (it is digital, see my comments above).

Plus, when you exit the hobby, you can sell what you collected (stamps, collector cards, whatever), not with DAZ purchases. It's illegal. Apples and oranges comparison IMHO.

You can sell what you create using your Daz content though, and use the same content to make multiple items to sell while a physical item could only be resold once..

• Tallulah Lioness said:

Doesn''t really matter with those creatures. I've had many over the years and have been involved in breeding, showing training and even a little racing ( my uncle had a harness racing farm in Holland). Getting kicked, bitten, stepped on, slobbered on and pooped on comes with the territory!  wink

semperequstri said:

Tallulah Lioness said:

Doesn''t really matter with those creatures. I've had many over the years and have been involved in breeding, showing training and even a little racing ( my uncle had a harness racing farm in Holland). Getting kicked, bitten, stepped on, slobbered on and pooped on comes with the territory!  wink

that's what's missing with the DAZ horses ..horse poop.  Any free aanywhere? 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,783

daveso said:

Please make it HD (the "H" stands for "Horse") and dForce (aka dFHorse)

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 806
    edited March 2023
    daveso said:

semperequstri said:

Tallulah Lioness said:

Yes, there is actually. I have road apples props from ShareCG. I'll see if I can find the link... EDIT: pardon, it is at deviantART. I don't recall what shaders I used instead of the supplied materials. I think I used a mud/dirt shader:. https://www.deviantart.com/skiriki/art/Prop-CC-BY-3-0-for-DS4-5-Road-Apples-340994072
    Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • mcorr said:

It's rather amazing, isn't it? You can buy real shoes for $20, or buy digital, fake ones for the same price. The digital price seems unjustified given that the same (unwearable) pair is sold to thousands of people .... no duplication of natural resourced needed to make them, no extra machine or human labor to make additional pairs, not even and extra intellectual property, design or construction costs for extra pairs. Just a one-time, one off 3d creation that keeps giving and giving. The same can be said for other clothes and accessories sold. There is something not right about this.

The Daz shoes, at least, have a better chance of properly fitting the feet and will probably still be usable 5-10 years from now, which is more than I can say for the last pair of cheap real-world shoes I bought!

Regarding costs, I suppose that being able to make money selling something even after one's initial costs have been paid for is how a lot of the world works, so I doubt that will change any time soon. As it stands, I'd rather reward a PA for a well-made fake pair of shoes than pay double or triple that price to ShoeCo for a pair of poorly-made "pure profit" sneakers that were spit out of a sprawling factory for ten cents. Reward the Little Guy, etc, etc.

Besides, if I surround myself with enough fake shoes, I can get so lost in rendering that I never leave the house, which means that I no longer need real shoes!

ZippyGuitar said:

daveso said:

semperequstri said:

Tallulah Lioness said:

Yes, there is actually. I have road apples props from ShareCG. I'll see if I can find the link... EDIT: pardon, it is at deviantART. I don't recall what shaders I used instead of the supplied materials. I think I used a mud/dirt shader:. https://www.deviantart.com/skiriki/art/Prop-CC-BY-3-0-for-DS4-5-Road-Apples-340994072

Thanks .."eat whille they're still hot" laugh 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,735
    edited March 2023

mcorr said:

It's rather amazing, isn't it? You can buy real shoes for $20, or buy digital, fake ones for the same price. The digital price seems unjustified given that the same (unwearable) pair is sold to thousands of people ....

It's been said that just 100 copies of a product being sold here is considered a success, but not sure if that's still true.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,041

Taoz said:

mcorr said:

It's rather amazing, isn't it? You can buy real shoes for $20, or buy digital, fake ones for the same price. The digital price seems unjustified given that the same (unwearable) pair is sold to thousands of people ....

It's been said that just 100 copies of a product being sold here is considered a success, but not sure it that's still true.

Indeed, the market for Daz content is quite small and products definitely don't sell thousands of copies.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588

I really think all new artists would benefit from a foundation in a traditional art class and one in photograpy because both apply. Go to your local community college and take a couple of courses you will be amazed at how much better your art work comes out with a little art theory to back up your ideas.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited March 2023

Generally art or photography courses around here are a couple thousand dollars each... I took a computer course a couple of years ago that was "cheap" and that was $800... literally nothing I learned was anything I couldn't find in a book or video... additionally many community colleges will break such courses into semesters or tiers... like beginner, intermediate and advanced... often intermediate or advanced are the only ones that really have any "meat", with beginner and some intermediate classes being fairly lame... of course that depends on the school and teachers.

Unless one is getting such a course at a much lower price or they need the credits, or are still in school, it's kinda expensive for something that is for a lot of folks a fun hobby.

Books and videos are a better substitute unless you intend to work for someone where those classes or credits are a necessity or will apply somehow.

Also books are better because when you are not reading them you can throw them at people who annoy you... granted, you could take a desk home from college and lug that around with you, but academic institutions kinda frown on the repurposing of their furniture.

EDITED TO ADD: The previous statement was possibly relevant to something that may or may not have existed at some point in the recent history of earth... so in the event that it seems to not make sense when you are reading it, or is out of context, consider this... In the 17th century, people in Europe used to grind up Egyptian mummies for use in elixirs and lots of other wacky concoctions... So if what I wrote now seems out of context, at least it didn't devolve into one of my long posts involving stuff like mummy snacks and probably talking penguins... but it is true that books are easier to throw than desks, which is why they say a judge is going to "throw the book at you" and not "the desk" or "podium", especially since a lot of judges are a little bit on the older side of life and throwing furniture would probably be a bit harder for them... well, not Judge Dread, but he's fictional... I think... or is he the guy with the reality show?

Post edited by McGyver on