Buy Something Now. DAZ needs your help. Show your support here.

ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,502
edited March 2023 in The Commons

Yes. We should all buy something now. Here's why.

I think it is important to support DAZ at this point. Here's why. Often bank money is controlled by fed banks, but sometimes start ups and tech companies opt to use state banks like Silicone Valley Bank, who in 2015 asked that the strict guidelines be loosened. They got their request. Loose guidelines are never a great idea for consumers or companies. Strict guidelines protect us. When Silicone Valley Bank decided to garage sale its $21 Billion of bonds for $1.8 Billion less than they were valued, all sh*t broke loose. Instead of reassuring investors that all was well, it wreaked havok. Clients withdrew their portfolios simutaneously. It was a huge mistake. They could have instantly made changes but they didn't. They chose to sell a stock that had a sale delay of 24 hours. Thus gave clients, spectators, doubters (those raising eyebrows) a chance to bail. And many did. Had they not lobbied in 2015 for looser constraints they would still be thriving today. The problem is those who used the bank may find it near imnpossible to gain access to their money. So I suspect Daz needs our support. This is not something DAZ did wrong.  I for one was planning to wait out the day, but . . . I have decided to buy some shit today using this method.  https://www.daz3d.com/thank-you-community Every dollar counts just buy something for 3.99 whatever. And show your support here by using paypal as requested here.

Post edited by ArtAngel on

Comments

• Nah. From the sound of things they're solvent enough and I've spent more on Daz content than I'd care to admit over the years. They'll be fine.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,502
    edited March 2023

Panzer Emerald said:

Nah. From the sound of things they're solvent enough and I've spent more on Daz content than I'd care to admit over the years. They'll be fine.

I'm sure they will but what would happen if someone froze your bank account and you had bills to pay and were too old to ask for your parents to bail you out? The point is Paypal payments is what will help them right now. But I respect appreciate and respect your no.

So I'll start a vote tally here. There is no right or wrong answer. No's matter as much as yes's. Everyone has opinions and reasonings. All opinions are appreciated and welcomed.

Panzer Emerald Says No.

zombietaggerung Says No.

SnowSultan Says Yes.

outrider42 Says Hell No.

paulawp (marahzen) Says Yes

Torquinox Says No and agrees with outrider42. (trying to link to his post but need help with how)

Serene Night Says Yes

• Since you're calling people out for saying no i may as well as get shunned further. It's also a no from me, bro. 

zombietaggerung said:

Since you're calling people out for saying no i may as well as get shunned further. It's also a no from me, bro. 

There is no shunning. No right or wrong answer. Just feelers out for awareness and how the community feels.
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505

This thread is going to be a trainwreck, but it might still be useful for building a block list of annoying users.   ;)   I vote yes, I bought more than I usually do in that G9 sale the other day and I'll try to buy something else soon.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Paypal is not exactly a good alternative, either. Paypal has caused all kinds of problems with its censorship policies, and keep in mind just how very careful Daz already is about what is released in their store. Paypal has a history, they can decide on a whim that they don't like your past releases and demand you to take them down or they are just done doing business with you. So not really much different from bank assets being frozen. PAs already have to deal with some ridiculous levels of censorship to get their products accepted to the Daz store. If Daz relies on Paypal, that could get FAR worse than it already is.

So hell no I am not using Paypal to support Daz-Tafi, because I don't want to support Paypal.

This is actually the one single decent argument for crypto, and I hate crypto for being the plague that it is. But at least crypto is not at the censorship whims of a mega corporation like Paypal.

You don't have to use Paypal, it just makes it a little easier for DAZ to get the payment until things calm down. You only need to use Paypal if you want the 10% back in store credit. 

• MKDAWUSSMKDAWUSS Posts: 91

PayPal? I'd have to move some money around and it would take a few days (IIRC) for it to clear for spending.

SnowSultan said:

This thread is going to be a trainwreck, but it might still be useful for building a block list of annoying users.   ;)   I vote yes, I bought more than I usually do in that G9 sale the other day and I'll try to buy something else soon.

All my threads are train wrecks lol.
  • I'll be a good sport and make a bigger Paypal buy than I usually would.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,303

ArtAngel said:

Panzer Emerald said:

Nah. From the sound of things they're solvent enough and I've spent more on Daz content than I'd care to admit over the years. They'll be fine.

I'm sure they will but what would happen if someone froze your bank account and you had bills to pay and were too old to ask for your parents to bail you out? The point is Paypal payments is what will help them right now. But I respect appreciate and respect your no.

So I'll start a vote tally here. There is no right or wrong answer. No's matter as much as yes's. Everyone has opinions and reasonings. All opinions are appreciated and welcomed.

Panzer Emerald Says No.

zombietaggerung Says No.

SnowSultan Says Yes.

According to what they said in their message, it was not stated that DAZ uses SVB for their bank account, that would be much more serious. They imply the bank is involved in the Credit Card payments, so their issues are likely about cash flow that being unable to access what they need to pay their bills. 

ArtAngel said:

SnowSultan said:

All my threads are train wrecks lol.

LOL, not at all your fault. Pretty much any thread here that asks for opinions regarding a product or DAZ as a business turns into a train wreck eventually.  ;)

• RangerRickRangerRick Posts: 256

Geeze, everytime I pop my head out of the ground there's some disaster in the making.  I should just pull the covers over and go back to sleep.

Won't be buying anything with Paypal for a while. I don't have a problem with Paypal. I buy my store Gift Cards using them.  Trying to hand out credit card numbers as little as possible.  Still have plenty of Store Credit left because none of the big promotions this month have any appeal to me.  I've bought all the non-new DOs I want so all the deep discount sales categories come up empty for me. Also, with the time saved not buying stuff I've been trying to install a lot of the stuff I've bought over the year.  The amount of items that make me go "what was I thinking" is staggering.

I did just buy the Scavenger Vehicle using Store Credit and that worked, so that's good.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,512
    edited March 2023

Daz will be fine. I'll make purchase decisions same as usual. Agree with Outrider about Paypal. Paypal is not a normal bank, either. So the bit about crypto doesn't make sense. Also, some crypto is crashing as we speak. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/11/usd-coin-depeg-silicon-valley-bank-collapse

I guess all that makes me a no. Shun away. I'm used to being a pariah for holding a non-conformist viewpoint.

Post edited by Torquinox on
    edited March 2023

RangerRick said:

Geeze, everytime I pop my head out of the ground there's some disaster in the making.  I should just pull the covers over and go back to sleep.

Won't be buying anything with Paypal for a while. I don't have a problem with Paypal. I buy my store Gift Cards using them.  Trying to hand out credit card numbers as little as possible.  Still have plenty of Store Credit left because none of the big promotions this month have any appeal to me.  I've bought all the non-new DOs I want so all the deep discount sales categories come up empty for me. Also, with the time saved not buying stuff I've been trying to install a lot of the stuff I've bought over the year.  The amount of items that make me go "what was I thinking" is staggering.

I did just buy the Scavenger Vehicle using Store Credit and that worked, so that's good.

I know! At times it is like 'what was I thinking'. And then I have moments where I look at something I love and think that was highway robbery and feel like I stole it. I don't own that Scavenger Vehicle. But now I will thanks to you!

Just an FYI. Some companies are terrified. Some big players have no clue how they will meet payroll. Here are some affected companies. Not all had all their eggs in one basket but the dollars held at SVG for many companies, was not just chump change.

Roku held $487 million at the institute. All uninsured.

Circle had $3.3 billion with same institute.

Roblox had $150 million.

Rocket Lab (areospace) $38 million

Lending Club $21 million.

iRhythm Technologies $54.5 million.

Pharmaceuticals: Sangamo Therapeutics $34 million, Ginko Bioworks $74 million and many more. So it isn't just chump change.

• outrider42 said:

Paypal is not exactly a good alternative, either. Paypal has caused all kinds of problems with its censorship policies, and keep in mind just how very careful Daz already is about what is released in their store. Paypal has a history, they can decide on a whim that they don't like your past releases and demand you to take them down or they are just done doing business with you. So not really much different from bank assets being frozen. PAs already have to deal with some ridiculous levels of censorship to get their products accepted to the Daz store. If Daz relies on Paypal, that could get FAR worse than it already is.

So hell no I am not using Paypal to support Daz-Tafi, because I don't want to support Paypal.

This is actually the one single decent argument for crypto, and I hate crypto for being the plague that it is. But at least crypto is not at the censorship whims of a mega corporation like Paypal.

• Orphanslayer69Orphanslayer69 Posts: 96
    edited March 2023

Yup. Paypal is dead to me after deciding to fine or censor people for wrongthink.  Better cash in all that NFT money, DAZ           https://fortune.com/2022/10/10/paypal-users-fine-misinformation-aup-error-confusion/

Post edited by Orphanslayer69 on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

I will certainly support daz store. I have beer buying a fair amount lately, but I'm sure there are a few things in my wishlist i ahem need.

edited March 2023

Orphanslayer69 said:

Yup. Paypal is dead to me after deciding to fine or censor people for wrongthink.  Better cash in all that NFT money, DAZ           https://fortune.com/2022/10/10/paypal-users-fine-misinformation-aup-error-confusion/

But are you not aware it was rescinded/revoked on October 10th 2022? My understanding is it only exists for violent hate speech, and racial discrimination

edited March 2023

Serene Night said:

I will certainly support daz store. I have beer buying a fair amount lately, but I'm sure there are a few things in my wishlist i ahem need.

Hi-cup I prefer wine to beer (grinning).

Am in Southern Cal. It's 7.30 and if I don't feed my hubby I may just be the star of a future forensics documentary ;). If he likes dinner I'll be back tomorrow. :)

From the promo:

The short answer is the Daz business is great, and it's more or less “business as usual.” That said, we do need to change our credit card processing partner in the days or weeks ahead. It’s a fair amount of work for our team to implement, but that won’t negatively affect the store in any way.

So the promo is a promo. People can use it or not, same as any promo.

Torquinox said:

So the promo is a promo. People can use it or not, same as any promo.

But there was more: And I quote: We’ve also had people ask if there’s anything they can do to help in the meantime, which we also appreciate.

That got us thinking, and there actually is something our community can do — while we make this transition, we will still accept all payment methods, including credit cards. But it will be easier for Daz to access payments made in the store using PayPal — so, if it’s convenient for you, please select PayPal for your next couple of purchases in the Daz store! End Quote

If it were me, I sure as heck would not want my money going to a bank where I could not access funds.

Well I am out of here. Have fun. Stay cool and smile. Life is short. laugh

• Given that we don't have much information we fear that this thread will rapidly become mired in speculation. We also don'ty want to have people feel pressured to take a public stance.

Daz will of course appreciate any support people give via the new promo, and the thought behind this thread.

This discussion has been closed.