Replaced my 2gb GPU with 8gb GPU and nothing renders

Okay, now I'm frustrated. I replaced my 2gb GeForce GT710 2gb graphics card today with an 8gb GeForce RTX 3050 and now nothing renders. The process fails immediately.

The error log says in part: "rend error: Cannot render: found no usable devices."

I mention the old card only because in researching this problem I saw a lot of other threads saying that the answer is that the GPU didn't have enough memory. But if my 2gb card could do it, albeit slowly, then I know that's not the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,577

Have you updated your driver?

And if you go to render settings > advanced is your card then listed there and ticket?

• Zeke42Zeke42 Posts: 57

felis said:

And if you go to render settings > advanced is your card then listed there and ticket?

Yes I updated it to Studio driver 528.49

Yes it shows there. What do you mean by "ticket"?

driver.JPG
    377 x 247 - 23K
  • Zeke42 said:

felis said:

I think felis just meant "ticked" as in checked, which according to your picture you have. And not trying to be funny, but have you tried turning your computer off and back on since changing these settings in DAZ?

I also clicked the Daz option "about your video card" and got this. Strange that it says it can't find a useable device but then totally reports a useable device.

hardware.JPG
    438 x 529 - 29K

Gogger said:

Zeke42 said:

felis said:

I think felis just meant "ticked" as in checked, which according to your picture you have. And not trying to be funny, but have you tried turning your computer off and back on since changing these settings in DAZ?

Oh okay, "ticked" makes sense.

And yes I did reboot after all the changes.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,577

And if you try to render a simple scene, i.e. with a primitive, what does your log then say (Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File)?

Here's the complete log file from my attempt to just render a primitive sphere:

2023-03-10 16:25:16.460 Rendering image
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.514 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating geometry.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.514 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Importing scene graph.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.514 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Auto instancing compression ratio 0.99 (Full instancing compression ratio 0.99)
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.514 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Importing geometry for motion time 0
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.515 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Geometry import (1 object with 530 triangles, 1 instance yielding 530 triangles) took 0.000s
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.515 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating materials.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.515 Iray [INFO] - MATCNV:RENDER ::   1.0   MATCNV rend info : found 0 textures, 0 lambdas (0 unique)
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.516 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Emitter geometry import (1 light source with 2 triangles, 1 instance) took 0.000s
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.516 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating environment.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.518 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating backplate.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.520 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating lens.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.520 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating lights.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.520 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating object flags.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.520 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating caustic portals.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.520 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating decals.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.520 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.523 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Allocating 1-layer frame buffer
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.525 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Using batch scheduling, caustic sampler disabled
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.526 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: Cannot render: found no usable devices.
    2023-03-10 16:25:16.526 Iray Render error: Invalid parameters (NULL pointer).

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

What version of Daz Studio are you using? If you have an older version of DS, it might not support the 3000 series. 

Install the Daz beta and see if it works. The beta is separate from the main version, so you can keep your old DS while testing this out.

So new strategy - I'm trying to update Daz to see if that fixes the problem. I purchased the latest 4.x version but when I check out I'm given the choice of either downloading and install something called "Daz Central" or "Install Manager". As I don't need more fluff on my machine how do I just download and install Daz Studio without all it's "helpful" tools?

outrider42 said:

What version of Daz Studio are you using? If you have an older version of DS, it might not support the 3000 series. 

Install the Daz beta and see if it works. The beta is separate from the main version, so you can keep your old DS while testing this out.

You read my mind (see post above). :)

I'm currently on ver 4.12

edited March 2023

4.12...yep that's the problem.

Unfortunately you must install DS through one of those other software. I only use DIM, Daz Install Manager myself. I tried the Daz Central and didn't care for it, but that's just me. I have a feeling you would prefer DIM.

Also, before you get too far, I would back up your 4.21 somewhere, or like I said, do the beta. The reason for this is that Iray is quite a bit different now.

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    edited March 2023

outrider42 said:

4.12...yep that's the problem.

Unfortunately you must install DS through one of those other software. I only use DIM, Daz Install Manager myself. I tried the Daz Central and didn't care for it, but that's just me. I have a feeling you would prefer DIM.

Also, before you get too far, I would back up your 4.21 somewhere, or like I said, do the beta. The reason for this is that Iray is quite a bit different now.

You can install DS4 manually, load the files from your product Library... the beta version however is not available there. DS4beta needs to be downloaded with DIM (but you don't have to install it with that program; I don't use DIM, Daz Central or any other content mangler system, and have got several versions of DS4beta installed an working nicely next to my 'official install' of DS4.12. And as outrider42 mentioned, it is advised to make a copy of your DS4.12 folder!)

Post edited by glaseye on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139

Sometimes just installing a new driver over the old one, boogers things up in complicated ways.  There is a specially designed app named "DDU", to completely remove graphics drivers.  It's free so be careful to get it from a trustworthy site.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/uninstall-nvidia-amd-intel-gpu-drivers

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,174
    edited March 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

Sometimes just installing a new driver over the old one, boogers things up in complicated ways.  There is a specially designed app named "DDU", to completely remove graphics drivers.  It's free so be careful to get it from a trustworthy site.

Why not do a clean install when installing new or rolling back drivers? I know Nvidia will clean out their old drivers or replace more recent drivers with old drivers.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

Finally got back to this and got it sorted out. Replaced the studio drivers with the game drivers and updated Daz to the latest version. Not sure if one of both of these ultimately fixed this issue. Thanks to everyone who helped me troublershoot this.

Studio or game drivers honestly shouldn't matter. I have used both over the years. Also, there is no performance advantage from one over the other. The Studio Drivers only promise to be more tested for creation software. There may be a small possibility that a game driver does something to nerf performance or whatever, but I am not sure if that is something that has happened to Iray. 

The biggest difference is that game drivers update far more frequently. They are often tied to big game releases. The Studio Drivers only update perhaps quarterly. So in this regard the Game Drivers might be more up to date, but that isn't a big deal for Iray. Use whichever driver you wish.

On a side note, the latest Game Driver adds a new feature to browsing, you can now upscale some streaming videos up to 4k with the 3000 and 4000 series. It depends on the website and the browser. Though I have heard it is not great and could use some work (I haven't bothered to try it yet myself). I still find it interesting and since you own a 3050 this is something that is available to you.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited March 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Why not do a clean install when installing new or rolling back drivers? I know Nvidia will clean out their old drivers or replace more recent drivers with old drivers.

Rumors are that, supposedly, a "clean install" of the graphics driver, doesn't always shoo all the bugs.frown  Especially if the system has had a mix of various graphic card manufacturers over the years.  I can't positively verify that.  But, that's what the rumors say.  I always do a clean install of the graphics card driver when installing new graphics cards, but I had problems once.  Banged my head for hours, then used the DDU app, and my problem went away.yes   I guess a clean install of the OS would work too.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on