Website - why so slow?

KeikuKeiku Posts: 121

Is there anything that can be done on the user side to make the Daz website faster? I'm running a 500Mbps connection on a $5K computer and moving page to page or adding/removing items from my cart is annoyingly slow. It's been this way actually for months, so it's not just because of higher load on the servers. It takes approximately 8-12 seconds to remove an item from my cart for instance. In the grand scheme not slow, but in internet terms an absolute crawl.

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited March 2023

I've tried animal sacrifices to the dark forces of the netherworlds, but they are usually just squirrels that got run over down the block...

Either that doesn't work or they don't want flat squirrels.... The inhabitants of the netherworlds are apparently kinda picky.

From my perspective it's generally a DAZ thing with the slowness or timeouts, it hardly ever seems to matter what you are using when it slows down.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • KeikuKeiku Posts: 121

McGyver said:

I've tried animal sacrifices to the dark forces of the netherworlds, but they are usually just squirrels that got run over down the block...

Either that doesn't work or they don't want flat squirrels.... The inhabitants netherworlds are apparently kinda picky.

After a while we'll try anything.

edited March 2023

Keiku said:

After a while we'll try anything.

I still have a couple of those squirrels left lying around (they make handy coasters and trivets)... they'll easily fit in an envelope, if you want them... they smell a little "strong" and the most recent one is still a bit "leaky", but if you want to give it a shot and already drew a pentagram in blood, why let it go to waste... you are welcome to them... free flat squirrels.

• McGyver said:

Either that doesn't work or they don't want flat squirrels.... The inhabitants of the netherworlds are apparently kinda picky.

From my perspective it's generally a DAZ thing with the slowness or timeouts, it hardly ever seems to matter what you are using when it slows down.

Well, if it's a sacrifice for a site that deals with 3d models, sacrificing 2d squirrels can only be frowned upon. What will be really desired as a sacrifice to solve the problem is 4d squirrels.

Regards,

Richard

edited March 2023

richardandtracy said:

Well, if it's a sacrifice for a site that deals with 3d models, sacrificing 2d squirrels can only be frowned upon. What will be really desired as a sacrifice to solve the problem is 4d squirrels.

Regards,

Richard

True... they are really pretty flat... I'm fairly sure that except for the leaky one, I could probably stuff a couple of them in a tesseract and give that a shot... I hadn't thought of that before, thanks for the suggestion!

edited March 2023

richardandtracy said:

McGyver said:

Regards,

Richard

I don't know about that. My quantum physics is a bit rusty. Maybe I can just feed some squirrels energy drinks and they'll go into another dimension themselves.

Post edited by Keiku on
  • See if you can plug all holes and inflate them a bit, make them into slightly  less two-dimensional characters before sacrifice.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited March 2023

Um, what was the original question?  Oh, yeah, "why are the servers so slow"?  Um, just because?  Or, needs more non-flat squirrels in the generator?  Or, DAZ doesn't have all the right stuff to make them faster?  Money's pretty necessary too.surprise  Perhaps they should charge more for their product to slow down the demand.enlightened  That's what Disney seems to be trying at their theme parks.indecision  ​

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

Um, what was the original question?  Oh, yeah, "why are the servers so slow"?  Um, just because?  Or, needs more non-flat squirrels in the generator?  Or, DAZ doesn't have all the right stuff to make them faster?  Money's pretty necessary too.surprise  Perhaps they should charge more for their product to slow down the demand.enlightened  That's what Disney seems to be trying at their theme parks.indecision  ​

Yeah, why the slow servers. Definately don't need to charge more. Prices are high enough on everything in the world as is. But being a bit of a web guy myself, the answer as to why something works or doesn't work is often very elusive.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

I didn't notice it until last month, and it was mostly confined to cart interactions. I was waiting for someone else to mention it. Thanks.

• CerragCerrag Posts: 237

Oh yes it is SLOOOOOW and a *lot lately!  I compared it to Rendo's site before Rendo got their stuff together thankfully.  I used to enjoy spending time browsing the site but not any more, especially on an iphone.  In fact I've found myself saying things even I'm surprised at, things that make myself blush lol.  But all joking aside, it has sucked lately.  A Lot.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Cerrag said:

Oh yes it is SLOOOOOW and a *lot lately!  I compared it to Rendo's site before Rendo got their stuff together thankfully.  I used to enjoy spending time browsing the site but not any more, especially on an iphone.  In fact I've found myself saying things even I'm surprised at, things that make myself blush lol.  But all joking aside, it has sucked lately.  A Lot.

Meanwhile, Renderosity has become lightning fast since their upgrade. 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,173
    edited March 2023

McGyver said:

Either that doesn't work or they don't want flat squirrels.... 

Where I come from, they are called sail squirrels. You pick them up and throw them like a frisbee.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

I have been chalking up the slownest to the graphics/pictures of products. And yes they have had them before but I think I have memorized the bottom of the page it stays in place for so long before opening up to show me what I want.

@McGyver, think of the baby squirrels left alone after you have sacrificed their mommies and daddies!

Consider a coffee bean instead. One with Olive Oil on it. Save that from Starbucks.