Do duf files contain any identifying information?

Hello

I hired a daz contractor to do some work for me, I send him my duf files to complete and render. He did a poor job and we are in a feud for more than a year, he said he is a hacker and will ruin me. I only gave him a  junk email address and I paid him with bitcoin, but he claims he has some personal info from my duf files. Do duf files store any history informaion (like Daz serial numbers?) or info about  my computer , or ip address information?

Thanks 

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

polydon81 said:

Hello

I hired a daz contractor to do some work for me, I send him my duf files to complete and render. He did a poor job and we are in a feud for more than a year, he said he is a hacker and will ruin me. I only gave him a  junk email address and I paid him with bitcoin, but he claims he has some personal info from my duf files. Do duf files store any history informaion (like Daz serial numbers?) or info about  my computer , or ip address information?

Thanks 

Nope, and, if you didn't encrypt it, you can even go through it with a text editor.  

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

maybe pay people that do work for you

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

they can if you entered the details into DAZ Studio yourself and are not compressed

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

WendyLuvsCatz said:

they can if you entered the details into DAZ Studio yourself and are not compressed

The duf file only has the author's name (or alias), whatever one has identified oneself as. I have never told my computers or the programs, who I am - Why should I?

PerttiA said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

The duf file only has the author's name (or alias), whatever one has identified oneself as. I have never told my computers or the programs, who I am - Why should I?

and often email, I have seen it in files from others

mine just says Author 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

WendyLuvsCatz said:

PerttiA said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

and often email, I have seen it in files from others

mine just says Author 

My experience is that is done in the final packaging of a product; otherwise, it probably says "product".  It is easy enough to check.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838

When you first run DS4 you have to setup your authorship data, for most that is just a name, but you can have your email and website in there as well.

This info is added to every DUF/DSF file you create in DS4, to see what info is being added to your files go "Edit > Preferences", the attached image shows the Preferences window you will get, the red "box" shows the area this info will appear.

Prefs.jpg
    505 x 492 - 68K
  • SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,594

polydon81 said:

Hello

Thanks 

Maybe I am old but it sounds like you didn't give money to a "daz contractor" but a child. Obviously, we only have your side of the story, but claiming to be a "hacker" and threatening to ruin someone or expose personal details are not the words of a professional.

Bejaymac said:

When you first run DS4 you have to setup your authorship data, for most that is just a name, but you can have your email and website in there as well.

This info is added to every DUF/DSF file you create in DS4, to see what info is being added to your files go "Edit > Preferences", the attached image shows the Preferences window you will get, the red "box" shows the area this info will appear.

yes, one person on the forum presumably  accidentally added a clipboard full of kanji then wondered why all their duf files were full of Chinese cheeky 

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388
    edited March 2023

polydon81 said:

Hello

Thanks 

You can check the contents of the duf files you sent them as they are not encrypted (it might be compressed though). You can open the file in a text editor. If it's garbled then unzip the file using 7zip.

The header of the document is as follows, the only potential personal data are author, email and website. There's no system information or ip etc:

"file_version" : "0.6.1.0",

"asset_info" : {

"id" : "/People/Genesis%208/Characters/random.duf",

"type" : "character",

"contributor" : {

"author" : "",

"email" : "",

"website" : ""

},

"revision" : "1.0",

"modified" : "2011-11-11T11:11:11Z"

Post edited by Frinkky on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,220

What is a Daz Contractor? Is there such a thing?

lilweep said:

maybe pay people that do work for you

they did

in bitcoin indecision 

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,594

Bitcoin does seem to be the currency of choice for "hackers" and scams

• AgitatedRiot said:

What is a Daz Contractor? Is there such a thing?

Presumably a contractor using Daz [Studio]. Daz doesn't have contractors that it hires out to others.

And yes, the only personal information will be the stuff in the Preferences - unless some of the assets used (e.g. textures) were in a non-mapped location (not in an active content directory) in whichc ase the absolute path would have been given, which might include your account name.