Need homes/rooms with pet flaps (doggy doors) built in

Looking for a home, room, whatever but basically a door with an installed pet flap for DAZStudio only. Can't seem to find a good one, or any for that matter minus those for Poser and one I found that was only for Mac.

Comments

• Content should be platform agnostic - what makes you think the product was Mac-only?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995

Richard Haseltine said:

Content should be platform agnostic - what makes you think the product was Mac-only?

I know I used to come across that a lot years ago with older content... you see something like "Platform: Windows"... I think on ShareCG you still see people do that... it used to confuse the hell out of me. 
    I still test out any freebies I make for Poser or DAZ on both Windows and Mac... more out of habit than a necessity.

Also wasn't there a thing with zip files or rar files not working well on one platform a long time ago?

• Blando CalrissianBlando Calrissian Posts: 450
    edited March 2023

johnnyroig said:

Looking for a home, room, whatever but basically a door with an installed pet flap for DAZStudio only. Can't seem to find a good one, or any for that matter minus those for Poser and one I found that was only for Mac.

Would the flap need to operate (i.e., flip open and closed as the doggos passed through it), or would it be a static prop? I've been meaning to model the latter in Blender for a project I'm working on, and would be happy to share. That sort of prop would be easy enough to parent to any existing surface, including a door.

For an operable doggie door, I suppose you could parent the same doggie door prop to an existing door and then use the Geometry Editor to reshade a part of the underlying door to clear (or perhaps delete those polygons entirely). That way, you would not see the underlying door when the doggie door flap was open. I

f the set allows for it, you could also export the door into Blender and cut an appropriate hole into it before importing it back into Daz.

Post edited by Blando Calrissian on
  • McGyver said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Content should be platform agnostic - what makes you think the product was Mac-only?

I know I used to come across that a lot years ago with older content... you see something like "Platform: Windows"... I think on ShareCG you still see people do that... it used to confuse the hell out of me. 
    I still test out any freebies I make for Poser or DAZ on both Windows and Mac... more out of habit than a necessity.

Also wasn't there a thing with zip files or rar files not working well on one platform a long time ago?

Way back in the mists of antiquity (the first decade of this century) the .rsr files that came with Windows files, for thumbnails and - in really old content - geometry were at least fiddly to use on a Mac (even though they were just the Mac resource fork split out). One OBJs were used for geometry, and PNGs for thumbnails in Poser 5+ (and all versions of DS) I don't think there were any platform-specific content issues.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

We have one file UltraScenery XT that can't be used on Mac OS M1 computers. Just installing it crashed D|S. Until Howie can get his hands on one. So the type of OS can be pertinent for scripts.

As far as the doggie door goes, a friend with Huskies, has one that has two flaps, for each side of the door, that are heavy, flexible nylon or plastic (?) that move back and forth as the dogs race through the door. The bottom of each flap has a metal trim. The depth is about a quarter inch or so. (I have never got down and measured it.) His old house had an inset piece that was cut into the old front door, with a hard plastic flap. Both had a plastic hard piece that could be slid down grooves on each long side, for security.

• I had some time tonight to play around with Blender (gave me an excuse to download the latest version, too). Put together a very basic flap and frame that animates very nicely. Of course sending it over to Daz is a whole other ball of wax and a project for the near future, but I'm pretty pleased so far.

BlenderDoorTest.PNG
    1166 x 1014 - 179K
    edited March 2023

To be honest, I have no idea how to import a cloth modifier into Daz from Blender. That would be sweet, of course, because the door flap looks good in Blender as designed. Alas...

For simplicity's sake, my Daz version of the door works more like a roll-up garage door and is divided into "slices," each of which can rotate along one axis. I think I mostly like it for what it is.

The latest version includes a separate outer, inner, and middle frame so that it can be narrowed or widened to fit various door thicknesses. All of the parts are also grouped so that they can be scaled up or down as appropriate.

PetDoor1.PNG
    710 x 1019 - 554K
    PetDoor2.PNG
    939 x 1122 - 759K
    PetDoor3.PNG
    1070 x 1101 - 1M
    PetDoor4.PNG
    1103 x 1130 - 2M
  • Knightmare560Knightmare560 Posts: 7
    edited April 2023

Blando Calrissian said:

To be honest, I have no idea how to import a cloth modifier into Daz from Blender. That would be sweet, of course, because the door flap looks good in Blender as designed. Alas...

For simplicity's sake, my Daz version of the door works more like a roll-up garage door and is divided into "slices," each of which can rotate along one axis. I think I mostly like it for what it is.

The latest version includes a separate outer, inner, and middle frame so that it can be narrowed or widened to fit various door thicknesses. All of the parts are also grouped so that they can be scaled up or down as appropriate.

Nice! Do you have a link to it or willing to share it here? :) The DAZ version. Don't need the flappy part. The sliding door is also nice. I'd greatly appreciate it especially if it comes already installed in a door I can use.

Post edited by Knightmare560 on
    edited April 2023

Here's draft door number two. :-)  The flap is set up for dforce, and works similar to a 'long hair' product- you'll want to extend it out horizontally, stick your pet head beneath it, and let the simuation drop it back into place (not from 'saved pose').

The door cover slides up and down. 

Also, the inner, outer, and middle portions of the door are separate items- you can adjust the thickness of the middle section and then place the inner and outer segments flush with whatever door or wall you are using.

The only downside is that Daz doesn't really seem to have a way to easily cut holes in existing materials. For this draft, I sent a random door over Blender and used a Boolean modifier to cut a hole where the doggie door goes, then brought i back into Daz and parented the doggie door to it. You'll probably have to do the same for any other wall or door, or leave the flap closed to hide the solid mass behind it.

Attached: DUF file for doggie door (I hope- never uploaded a DUF file before). 138 KB, according to my computer. Shaders are from the stock Daz collection.

Doggie Door Image.PNG
    1170 x 1232 - 527K
    duf
    duf
    Doggie Door as DAZ File (DUF).duf
  • Knightmare560Knightmare560 Posts: 7
    edited April 2023

Blando Calrissian said:

Here's draft door number two. :-)  The flap is set up for dforce, and works similar to a 'long hair' product- you'll want to extend it out horizontally, stick your pet head beneath it, and let the simuation drop it back into place (not from 'saved pose').

The door cover slides up and down. 

Also, the inner, outer, and middle portions of the door are separate items- you can adjust the thickness of the middle section and then place the inner and outer segments flush with whatever door or wall you are using.

The only downside is that Daz doesn't really seem to have a way to easily cut holes in existing materials. For this draft, I sent a random door over Blender and used a Boolean modifier to cut a hole where the doggie door goes, then brought i back into Daz and parented the doggie door to it. You'll probably have to do the same for any other wall or door, or leave the flap closed to hide the solid mass behind it.

Attached: DUF file for doggie door (I hope- never uploaded a DUF file before). 138 KB, according to my computer. Shaders are from the stock Daz collection.

HA...the animal in the scene is small, so a cat flap is more appropriate term. So no need for a large one. Just gotta see what parts to adjust to make it much smaller....like the kind only a 10 year old could fit through.

Post edited by Knightmare560 on
  • ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

I'd be interested to see how folks use this!

The cat doors I have, the flap part is rigid/clear pelixglass that pivots from the top and is held in place by weak magnets.

I guess you could take any door you wanted, and then create a new material zone in the door to where you want the pet flap to go, and then put this in place?

Cheers!

• felisfelis Posts: 3,576

Chumly said:

I'd be interested to see how folks use this!

The cat doors I have, the flap part is rigid/clear pelixglass that pivots from the top and is held in place by weak magnets.

I guess you could take any door you wanted, and then create a new material zone in the door to where you want the pet flap to go, and then put this in place?

Cheers!

You might need to do it with an oppacity map, if your geometry isn't matching properly.

And I have a similar cat door.

edited April 2023

For adjustments, you can generally do okay by adjusting the main Scale Slider for "Doggie Door Assembly"

Tweaking it to be, say, more squairish on shape would also require some tweaks to the Y scale for the Doggie Door Assembly, the Cover Frame, and the Door Cover.

For the "kind only a 10 year old could fit through," I loaded a Toon Generations 10-Year-Old into the scene and adjusted the scaling as follows:

Doggie Door Assembly Scale: 198.75%
    Doggie Door Assembly Y-Scale: 90.7%
    Cover Frame Y-Scale: 109.9%
    Door Cover Y-Scale: 85.0%

DD Image 3.PNG
    1245 x 1166 - 1M