RTX 3080 TI Temperature on Rendering

JamesJames Posts: 856
edited February 2023 in Daz Studio Discussion

I get myself a RTX 3080 TI  Zotac amp holoback second hand.

I'm worried with the temperature while rendering iray. Since my 3060 never get very hot.

I want to ask you who has the experience. What is considered safe for the vram temp? I get to 96 degree, at 98% load.

I also smell somehting when it gets hot, just like the smell of cloth iron. Is it normal?

And I see a small amout of oil leaking, making my pcb board oily and shiny... some say it comes from the thermal pad. Is it?

Post edited by James on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

None of that sounds normal.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,647

No that doesn't sound healthy.

Is it overclocked? And does it have good airflow inside the box

• Can you tell if it has the original heat-sink or if it has had a cstom arrangement added?

• JamesJames Posts: 856
    edited February 2023

It's not oc. I also reduce the clock of vram. from around 9000ish to 8000 ish.

It's still the original heat sink.

And for the temp, it's the vram not the gpu. hopefully we all clear on that.

Post edited by James on

I don't have a 3080 Ti. Mine is a normal air cooled 10 GB 3080.This is what it looks like after 10 minutes of rendering an UltraScenery scene. These are GPU-Z Max sensor readings. There is no smell.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 113615 GPU-Z 3080.jpg
    495 x 386 - 71K
    edited February 2023

Mine look like this.

Ok, well thank you for the benchmark.

I think for the temp, probably still normal ish...
    your fans run only 59%, mine 70%.

Though I've  reduced my vram clock. Yours still cooler.

Hemm, have you changed the thermal pad?

Is the season winter now at your place?
    Maybe the ambience temperature has influence too to keep it cool.

Maybe the brand has also influence.
    I dunno.

Screenshot_16.png
    444 x 710 - 32K
    Post edited by James on
  • I would check out youtube. Some people have had to replace thermal pads on vram and add some extra if the manufacturer of the card did not make the pads thick enough, or did not place the pads in a way to conduct heat to heat spreader. Also install MSI Afterburner and keep an eye on your temps. Until you get the cooling under control I would not use this card for rendering.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

Did you clean the card when you got it?

edited February 2023

Well, I blew some dust with a small blower.

I didn't open it.

Post edited by James on
  • My comments are about 3090 and 3090 Ti. I do not have expeience with 3080 Ti.

3090 has bad design. It has memory modules on both sides of the card but only one side has active cooling. The memory modules overheat significantly. Fan can be added on the problematic side to help with cooling.

3090 has memory modules only on one side of the card and there is no problem with memory overheating. Check if you card has memory modules only on one side or on both sides.

m_pohanka_6db953ed73 said:

My comments are about 3090 and 3090 Ti. I do not have expeience with 3080 Ti.

3090 has bad design. It has memory modules on both sides of the card but only one side has active cooling. The memory modules overheat significantly. Fan can be added on the problematic side to help with cooling.

3090 has memory modules only on one side of the card and there is no problem with memory overheating. Check if you card has memory modules only on one side or on both sides.

I think you have a typo there. You described 3090 as having memory on  both sides and on one side. Was one of those supposed to be the Ti version?

edited February 2023

This how Zotac 3080 TI 12gb amp holo back PCB looks like from the internet.

It has 4 sides of vram modules.

I have no experience on opening a gpu card. So cant be sure, if all the thermal pads are there or still in good condition.

I underclocked the vram to be safer.

front[1].jpg
    1475 x 720 - 447K
    Post edited by James on
  • AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 634
    edited February 2023

I can answer the original temparature question from personal experience, not sure about the later stuff! I have a liquid cooled 3090. While rendering, the temparature of the GPU (in task manager) was generally into the 90s. One day, I spotted some oily fluid on top of the graphics card cooler which had dripped from a connector on the PCB cooler.

Long story short, I was advised by the shop that the cooling system was not specced for leaving it on all day under high load, it was specced for gaming for a few hours.

• I had one radiator (360mm IIRC) with 3 fans. That wasn't enough.
    • Because of this, the fluid had become hot and the PTFE tubes had deformed and leaked.

I returned it and went a little OTT with the cooling. I now have Three 360mm radiators, 9 fans on the radiators and another fan to extract air from the case. I also have flexible tubing which I'm told will handle much higher temparatures. There is a lot of debate about the best configurations for cooling, and I must admit I'm not an expert, but I will say that now, it's mostly between 50 and 60 degrees when rendering.

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • mwasielewski1990mwasielewski1990 Posts: 315
    edited March 2023

Vram on all 3080/3090 cards heat up to 105c. 98c is extremely good. Nothing is wrong with your card, HOWEVER...

Safe temps for Micron VRAM which is mounted on these cards, by spec should have temps lover than 90c, but in reality almost NONE of the cards (including Founders Edition) keep the temp under 90c.

My 3090 Zotac has the Vram temp hovering near the 105c spot (while the chip itself shows ~73c).

barbult said:

I don't have a 3080 Ti. Mine is a normal air cooled 10 GB 3080.This is what it looks like after 10 minutes of rendering an UltraScenery scene. These are GPU-Z Max sensor readings. There is no smell.

Also, 10 min might not be enough. Check the vram temp after an hour or so. I'm just curious if there is a major difference between 3080 and 3090.

EDIT: okay, sorry, I missed the part about the smell... You should try to return the card if you can, and there should definitely be no oil leaking from it. However, the VRAM temp is still within reason.

Post edited by mwasielewski1990 on
    edited March 2023

ekajuan_9f765a669b said:

Mine look like this.

Ok, well thank you for the benchmark.

I think for the temp, probably still normal ish...
    your fans run only 59%, mine 70%.

Though I've  reduced my vram clock. Yours still cooler.

Hemm, have you changed the thermal pad?

Is the season winter now at your place?
    Maybe the ambience temperature has influence too to keep it cool.

Maybe the brand has also influence.
    I dunno.

Yes it is "winter" here, but I live in Florida. My house inside temperature is 77 degrees F. I have not changed anything on the graphics card. I just bought it and installed it. Someone else suggested that maybe I did not run it long enough to let the temperature build up enough when I captured that screenshot. I have been rendering most of the day off and on, not constantly. Right now it has been rendering for a while and the the Memory temperature is 88 degrees C and the fans are running at 72%. The GPU is constantly between 92 and 97.. So it is hotter now than when I did that earlier test.
    I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. I wasn't notified of your message in this thread.

Post edited by barbult on

Well, my 3080TI temp reach that high in an instant.