File and Scene Structure for Graphic Novels?

What's a good way to structure scenes, shots, etc. for creating graphic novel content? For example, for several shots (panels) in a scene, should I use separate files or frames of animation or...? Should I use different files for different scenes?

Comments

• I don't think there will be THE way to create a graphic novel. After a lot of experimentation, you will find the way that works best for you. I myself create the scenes I need and adjust the poses, the locations of the characters and everything else. Every time I make a change, I save the whole scene as a new file. This way you can easily make changes later if you don't like a scene anymore. For close-ups of my characters' faces I use Canary's Cameras (https://www.daz3d.com/canarys-cameras) and also save these settings as separate files. You can find a few examples of my graphic novels here: https://www.deviantart.com/digitalgalerie/gallery

• This is one of the reasons why I enjoy working with the smart contents pane: just (re)-categorize an item. This allows you to create sections and collections without having to worry about anything else.
  • Thanks all. Peter, just to be clear, if you have multiple shots in a location such as a bar such as character walks in, character greets another character, characters have drinks, these are done as incremental saves of one file?

• tfistfis Posts: 129

I'd use the timeline and mcjlistrender and mcjswitcher for batch rendering.

• devin066 said:

Thanks all. Peter, just to be clear, if you have multiple shots in a location such as a bar such as character walks in, character greets another character, characters have drinks, these are done as incremental saves of one file?

I save each change as a separate file.For example, 2 people walk side by side: Save as file 01. One of the persons raises his hands while talking: Save as file 02.
    Camera changes to the face of the other person: Save as file 03 etc.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,416

devin066 said:

Thanks all. Peter, just to be clear, if you have multiple shots in a location such as a bar such as character walks in, character greets another character, characters have drinks, these are done as incremental saves of one file?

Way back when I was still playing with Poser, I used to tell my stories on the timeline (storyboard style) and it worked pretty well, letting me change the character or whatever in the scene at once for the whole story if the need arose.

Lost interest for a few years (ran out of ideas on what to do with NVIATWAS) and when I got back, I started playing with DS. At first I used the same principles, but quickly learned that the DS timeline was not really suited for storyboarding, 1. one had to pin everything on the characters to make them not change after one made posing changes etc on later frames and 2. pinning everything increased the size of savefiles to astronomical figures. The largest savefile was over 3GB's and it took well over an hour to open the file and and about the same time to save it.

Lost one file when closing the scene, I let DS save it while closing and my drive had run out of space.

From then on, I have saved each 'frame' as one scene.

• PerttiA said:

devin066 said:

Way back when I was still playing with Poser, I used to tell my stories on the timeline (storyboard style) and it worked pretty well, letting me change the character or whatever in the scene at once for the whole story if the need arose.

Lost interest for a few years (ran out of ideas on what to do with NVIATWAS) and when I got back, I started playing with DS. At first I used the same principles, but quickly learned that the DS timeline was not really suited for storyboarding, 1. one had to pin everything on the characters to make them not change after one made posing changes etc on later frames and 2. pinning everything increased the size of savefiles to astronomical figures. The largest savefile was over 3GB's and it took well over an hour to open the file and and about the same time to save it.

Lost one file when closing the scene, I let DS save it while closing and my drive had run out of space.

From then on, I have saved each 'frame' as one scene.

properties that had keys would nto chnage, but those that didn't but did have keys in a later frame probably would due to interpolation.