5G update for Desert Planet?

That is 1/20 or 5% of my total monthly allotment of 100g
I've downloaded a lot of updates over the years, perhaps we have reached a place in time with large sets and textures to find a way to make update patches?
I play several large online games with 70g original downloads and they manage to come up with patches to a program that change and update it without requiring an entirely new download.
And that's patches to a program not a change in some data. 
---
Is this the update that removes the monsters so you can have scenes without them? And again ... do I need to download it all again or are there just a few textures that are changed? If so just give me them and let me or the installer just overwrite the changed images. 

Comments

• If you install through Daz Studio (using Daz Connect) then only the files that have been updated will be downloaded, not the whole zip.

• Richard Haseltine said:

If you install through Daz Studio (using Daz Connect) then only the files that have been updated will be downloaded, not the whole zip.

That it can do that (thru Connect)  means the coding exists to do that even throught DIM if the package can tell daz where to install the needed pieces it can tell Dim the same. 
    But that does raise the question if I use connect for just the upgrade, can I then take one of the packaging programs and create backup installers that have the corrected data in them? 
    And can connect read Dims data to figure out which drive and which folder where has the original installs if connect didn't place it in the first place. 
    ---
    Suddently the question springs to mind ... when updates are downloaded they do overwrite the broken ones in the Install folder? 

4 and a half gs.jpg
    1970 x 513 - 283K
  • DIM handles zips when downloading, it does not download file-by-file. Unfortunately you would still have to do a fuull, separate Connect isntall to start with - but at least for new items it would be a way to reduce the bandwidth used going forwards.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,240

alan bard newcomer said:

That is 1/20 or 5% of my total monthly allotment of 100g
    I've downloaded a lot of updates over the years, perhaps we have reached a place in time with large sets and textures to find a way to make update patches?
    I play several large online games with 70g original downloads and they manage to come up with patches to a program that change and update it without requiring an entirely new download.
    And that's patches to a program not a change in some data. 
    ---
    Is this the update that removes the monsters so you can have scenes without them? And again ... do I need to download it all again or are there just a few textures that are changed? If so just give me them and let me or the installer just overwrite the changed images. 

There was an update a long time ago to add the "clean" versions of the backgrounds, and some bonus ones. This update addresses some path errors, according to the ReadMe, which are real, but not insurmountable on one's own. There might be more to it, but it is impossible to tell without downloading the full set, which I am in no hurry to do, either.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,105
    edited February 2023

obviously a don't use all my bandwidth for daz...  but until a year ago my montly cost was $100 a month... that cut severly into my daz budget and while I have it down to $600 a year instead of $1200 it's still money that isn't used. Back in the day of $30 a month unlimited I bought a lot more Daz. 
    ---
    And yes, I do understand that for some of us you could just package the loose files an a zip and let us stick them in and write over the old ones, I realize that the majority of users aren't that computer nerdy and you have to KISS. 

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on