Shout out to Jack Tomalin and all those sets

I got curious earlier today about how old some of those West Park and other sets that Jack released are. Some are over 10 years old at this point.

I still use so many of your sets as go-to's when I need rooms and other settings. You really built all those sets very well and they're extremely light weight and have features like opening doors and what not that sets today no longer have. And also making them boned so that you can easily hide walls and ceilings for setting camers and moving things about in them.

And also a big thanks for updating those sets to Iray materials the past few years to help squeeze out even more life out of then.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that still uses them to this day. Thank you for making so many fine sets!

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,933

Definitely not the only one. I still use some of his old Red House Studios sets I bought in 2004 ;)

• mdingmding Posts: 1,133

great products, indeed! And the iray addons all affordable daz+ products yes

Unfortunately he has told more than once at the daz+ forum, that he lacks the time to create more sets atm. But who knows, if enough people here show him some love...

• I'd liked some of his product series to be continued. I just can't get enough of his West Park Sanatorium sets.

• I really like the Parkside railway (railroad) stuff. I do really like the US EMD GP35/SD35 outline locos, wagons & carriages etc. There were so many, in such a diversity of liveries that it'd be lovely to see a greater range of texture options too. 

One thing I'm not sure of is whether any royalties would be in order if real liveries were used. For a very long time model train logos and liveries have copied the originals with a precision that goes well beyond the normal 'Cosplay' limitations found on DS content. In fact, the main selling point IS the accuracy of duplication.

Regards,

Richard

• Masterstroke said:

I'd liked some of his product series to be continued. I just can't get enough of his West Park Sanatorium sets.

Agreed, I would also love some sort of mult-set spanning presets or scripts to actually build the full sanitarium design.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

...one of my favourites..

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

His sets are the first to be loaded, or reloaded when I buy a new computer or have to reinstall content. Simply the best for so many uses.

Thank you Jack.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

If they fit the theme, Jack's environments are a good first choice.   They're always well-made, and he put so much effort into updating 3DL environments, adding scene presets, etc.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,310

Love his sets also, they're well made, beautiful and versatile, really can't beat them a lot of times. It would be great if he added some more, but we do have a good variety already as it is I think.

@Sven Dullah: Have you rendered that in 3Delight?

mding said:

Yup! 

• Thanks all for the the kind words :)

Between becoming a Dad and my role at Daz changing, my time for content dev over the last few years has waned.  It was incredibly hard even when I was just running the PC+, but then moving into the PA Director role and wrangling a small human it was obvious something had to give and that was it sadly.

I always have that itch, so I hope at some point in the future I can get back to it.  I have a ton of half-finished projects to finish up (or hand over to someone else to finish up) - just need to find someone crazy enough.

It's only times like these that I take a look at the back-catalogue and remember the literal years of hard work it represents.  It's cool to have a little digital legacy, and even nicer to read posts like this where it's appreciated long after it's release.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

Thanks all for the the kind words :)

Between becoming a Dad and my role at Daz changing, my time for content dev over the last few years has waned.  It was incredibly hard even when I was just running the PC+, but then moving into the PA Director role and wrangling a small human it was obvious something had to give and that was it sadly.

I always have that itch, so I hope at some point in the future I can get back to it.  I have a ton of half-finished projects to finish up (or hand over to someone else to finish up) - just need to find someone crazy enough.

It's only times like these that I take a look at the back-catalogue and remember the literal years of hard work it represents.  It's cool to have a little digital legacy, and even nicer to read posts like this where it's appreciated long after it's release.

I hope you do get back to it, we started at Daz around the same time and I always enjoyed seeing your new releases

Sven Dullah said:

mding said:

Yup! 

Wow!! I would have believed it is IRAY if you told me so, that really is a render to demonstrate the capabilities of 3Delight and (i guess) some postwork! Amazing!

mding said:

Sven Dullah said:

mding said:

Yup! 

Wow!! I would have believed it is IRAY if you told me so, that really is a render to demonstrate the capabilities of 3Delight and (i guess) some postwork! Amazing!

Thank you:) Actually it's a raw render;) 

• Daz Jack Tomalin said:

Thanks all for the the kind words :)

Time and life marches on for all of us, but you are correct, you definitely have a digital legacy of timeless sets smiley Same for Stonemason as well.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183

I was hooked by the GIS series, and the West Park/Parkside series, and...

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,012

Agreed, lots of great sets.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited February 2023

I still have some sets to collect but they are mostly sort of religious slanted which I have a lot of already too, taken in aggregate. So it's like well I don't need them...but they are nice. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Rendered in 3Delight (without postwork) by @Sven Dullah - very impressive:

• it just goes on forever ...

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,259

I love Jack Tomalin's environments, and I would love to see him end his creative hiatus and create some new models. Preferably for Daz+, of course. ;-)

• Thanks all for the the kind words :)

Thanks to one of my favourite content creators. I really hope that we will see something new in future. I have a lot of your content and transferred it to Cinema 4D and Blender as well.
  • Singular3DSingular3D Posts: 493
    edited February 2023
    The same is valid for Stonemason of course. Another fantasic creator!
    Post edited by Singular3D on
  • Store search for Jack Tomalin shows 158 products and I have them all

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183
    edited February 2023

Robert Freise said:

Store search for Jack Tomalin shows 158 products and I have them all

The Vendor page for Jack Tomalin shows 281 (but 277 on the actual page). Can't see why those other 100 are missing from the search.

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I remember seeing a post somewhere where someone had asked him how all the west side pieces fit together, and basically he said there was no set floor plan, he just made the pieces as they came to him. (Paraphrasing off memory)

Anyway, After aquiring the appropriate licenses, I've begun porting my android game over to UE5 for windows and here's a couple screenies of West Park! (I used every West park piece, 2 floors. Morgue, Treatment roon, Abulations, and Therapy room in the basement. Ward, Day Room, Outpatient, Lobby, Administration on ground level)

West Park 1.PNG
    1200 x 552 - 2M
    West Park 2.PNG
    1200 x 553 - 2M

kaotkbliss said:

I remember seeing a post somewhere where someone had asked him how all the west side pieces fit together, and basically he said there was no set floor plan, he just made the pieces as they came to him. (Paraphrasing off memory)

Anyway, After aquiring the appropriate licenses, I've begun porting my android game over to UE5 for windows and here's a couple screenies of West Park! (I used every West park piece, 2 floors. Morgue, Treatment roon, Abulations, and Therapy room in the basement. Ward, Day Room, Outpatient, Lobby, Administration on ground level)

Awesome!