Virtual Futuristic Curved Monitor

I'm looking for something like the image, but curved in a sort of semi-spherical shape so a user could just sit in any chair and have a large screen surface available/usable. If nothing exists I'd consider trying to make it myself by creating a large sphere primitive and deleting polys in geometry editor to turn it into an appropriate-shaped semi-sphere. But at the very least I'd love to find at least a flat virtual monitor to see how to handle texturing to get that glowing, translucent look. So if not a curved surface I'd settle for a flat one as long as the texturing is convincing.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646

Isn't it a cylinder you are describing, so you could sit all the way around it?

Or do you also want it to curve in the vertical direction?

• felis said:

Isn't it a cylinder you are describing, so you could sit all the way around it?

Or do you also want it to curve in the vertical direction?

No, I'd definitely want it to curve spherically (both horizontal and vertical). Kind of like this mock-up, maybe a bit larger than a quarter-sphere, in both vertical and horizontal directions.

Futuristic Monitor.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited January 2023

Just realized that my original example image in my OP doesn't seem to be showing. Strange, because when I try to edit and re-add it, it appears in the post. Anyway, here it is.

gettyimages-168646423-612x612.jpg
    612 x 458 - 38K
    Post edited by mikethe3dguy on

Ah ok.

I misunderstood - I thought you wanted to see the screen from the outside.

• If you want it to have thickness you could use the Geometry Editor to trim a sphere promiotive (Create>New Primitive) and then run Thickener on it https://www.daz3d.com/thickener-plug-in - or just use a modelling application.

• Richard Haseltine said:

If you want it to have thickness you could use the Geometry Editor to trim a sphere promiotive (Create>New Primitive) and then run Thickener on it https://www.daz3d.com/thickener-plug-in - or just use a modelling application.

Thanks but no - this is a virtual screen. No actual physical component on the "screen" itself - just light (characters, symbols, graphics) hanging in the air. I don't think I'd want it to have any appearance of thickness. All my challenges are with the texturing, so mostly looking for a good example of something like this (at least in a flat rectangular virtual screen) to study and compare.

• Found something pretty similar in texturing at least.

https://www.daz3d.com/scifi-screen

If you set refraction weight to 1 and refraction index to 1, then the object will act as air.

And then put your texture in the emission and set emission color to something different than black, and then play with luminance to your liking.

• felis said:

If you set refraction weight to 1 and refraction index to 1, then the object will act as air.

And then put your texture in the emission and set emission color to something different than black, and then play with luminance to your liking.

Thanks for the tip!