3050-3060 for Iray

Would the 3050 or 3060 be any good for Iray rendering? I need something better then my 1650 super but won't be afford the latest and greatest cards. what sort of limitations might the 3050/3060 have?

Comments

• I can't be of much use, but a few days ago I purchased a low-end gaming PC with a 3060 (12GB VRAM.)  I have first generation (M1) Apple Silicon based iMac and MacBook Air systems that render fine but slow with Iray.  The PC with 3060 renders much faster.  Don't know how fast the 3060 is compared to the 1650 Super, but there's a benchmark thread on the forums here with all kinds of comparisons.  Comparing how/what I render, my standing figure portraits take between 1.5 to 3.5 minutes on the Macs, but between 8 to 18 seconds on the 3060.  Maybe about 12 to 15 times faster than the Mac.  So take this for what it's worth. :). I do hope it helps a little.

Lee

• If it's between those two, 3060.

More cores, more vram.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

3060 12GB is better. The 3050 has just 8GB's of VRAM, which nowadays is about the minimum and sometimes not enough.

• It depends on what you want to render and what work you do in DAZ. Provide more information, and I will be able to advise you better, considering that I own an RTX 3060 12GB.

• FabeFabe Posts: 212

@radwgo01

Well as long as I can render more then one character plus enviroment without it taking hours it should be good enough.

Fabe said:

@radwgo01

Well as long as I can render more then one character plus enviroment without it taking hours it should be good enough.

Still depends on the character, clothing, hair and whatever is loaded on the scene.

12GB card gives twice as much VRAM for Iray rendering than an 8GB card does, and that is a huge difference.

Think I'll go with the 12GB 3060 unless I can get something better.

• Fabe said:

@radwgo01

Well... You didn't give much information anyway, but I'll give you my opinion.

"Character + Environment": I suppose you could be a game developer, for example for a visual novel. I might disappoint you, but don't expect too much from it. Of course, it depends on how demanding you are and what you expect from it, but at least I am not able to render more than 3 characters in my work, and even that is sometimes over the limit of my GPU. Most of the time, two characters and some environment take up from 10 GB to 11.7 GB, and I have to admit that these are often not even demanding scenes.

I would see the RTX 3060 as a suitable solution for a beginner who wants to try and discover things. The RTX 3090 is the most suitable solution, even if it might be a bit over your budget. Possibly something like the RTX A6000, but that is already beyond the budget of an ordinary person, so I wrote it purely as an example. At the beginning, the 12 GB might be enough for you, but there will come a moment when it won't, and you should count on it so that you are not surprised later.

PS: The image I put here took 11.3 GB of VRAM. In fact, there are only two characters and a simple environment in that scene.

s52.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

It is mostly about choosing what one uses in the scene, one can make a pint size object alone eat more VRAM than a 24GB GPU has or one can manage some even with less than 8GB's of VRAM.

This took 4GB's of VRAM on RTX 3060 12GB and rendered in 3 minutes 20 seconds

NVIATWAS.png
    1914 x 1153 - 4M
  • I can only say i have a 1080TI with 12mb ram, I was thinking of upgrading myself at one point, thne I ask the question do I need to, since then I discoverd the question what am i actulay rendering ? and what for ?, and I also discoverd and played around with the render settings and learnt what is used for in the render settings, and with the event of software such as Topaz Gigapixel and the advances in Photoshops upscaling AI software, I no longer have to render large files, and can use more of the render settings although thisdoes slow down the render times, but found no need to get another graphics lateset and greates card as i now render in a smaller size and upscale and and post proccess in Photoshop, so I guse it still demneds on what your render for to see if you need to upgare at such a cost ?.

edited January 2023

radego01 said:

Fabe said:

@radwgo01

Well... You didn't give much information anyway, but I'll give you my opinion.

"Character + Environment": I suppose you could be a game developer, for example for a visual novel. I might disappoint you, but don't expect too much from it. Of course, it depends on how demanding you are and what you expect from it, but at least I am not able to render more than 3 characters in my work, and even that is sometimes over the limit of my GPU. Most of the time, two characters and some environment take up from 10 GB to 11.7 GB, and I have to admit that these are often not even demanding scenes.

I would see the RTX 3060 as a suitable solution for a beginner who wants to try and discover things. The RTX 3090 is the most suitable solution, even if it might be a bit over your budget. Possibly something like the RTX A6000, but that is already beyond the budget of an ordinary person, so I wrote it purely as an example. At the beginning, the 12 GB might be enough for you, but there will come a moment when it won't, and you should count on it so that you are not surprised later.

PS: The image I put here took 11.3 GB of VRAM. In fact, there are only two characters and a simple environment in that scene.

Yeah sorry I don't really know what sort of stuff I'll be rendering I just sort of wait for a idea to pop into my head and then try to get to work. This is the last Iray render with a 1650 super  I did which I think took maybe 30 minutes total. 

mybike2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 731K
    Post edited by Fabe on