3rd party dll's

edited December 1969 in Daz SDK Developer Discussion

before I really get involved with my current project I've got to ask is it ok to use a 3rd party dll, I'm currently testing integrating a commercial renderer

If its not ok; I still have two options either run a client/server setup which is what we did with Blender or just do a script similar to mcjTeleBlender2 which I think is likely to come first

The client server approach works reasonably well but there is a bit of lag, I've used it for batch rendering and playing with Android apps

I thought I better ask, before I get in to deep :) right now I'm just trying stuff to see if the integration will work

Comments

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,179
    edited December 1969

Whether something is technically feasible is not quite the same as whether it is legally permissible. You will need to refer to the license for the library in question, or confer directly with the developer/owner of the library, to obtain an answer to that question.

-Rob

• edited December 1969

The library itself isn't an issue and already have their blessing, I'm an internal beta tester for the company, the main question between me and them is were does the dll go, with the plugin or with the main application
    Right now I'm just looking at an exporter script with no dll, we're not convinced a photoreal renderer is really needed, personally I prefer 3Delight with Daz characters, but if I can get camera, lights and render ready hair and eyes materials it'll pave the way for bigger things if there's a "need" to :)

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

If you bind to the library dynamically (e.g. LoadLibrary, GetProcAddress), you can put it anywhere you like. If you bind to it statically (e.g. link against it while building your DLL), it will need to be on the executable search path. I don't think the plugin folder is added to the DLL search path explicitly, so it would need to be colocated with the DAZ Studio executable.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,179
    edited December 1969

Correct; on all counts. Where you place the library depends on how you link against or load it.

-Rob

• edited December 1969

For now I'll just do a exporter script and get to know Daz's SDK
    Both SDK's work well together, and I'm more than satisfied it can be done..

Untitled.png
    1095 x 941 - 462K
  • LpProjectLpProject Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

if not secret, for what commercial render you intergateing

• edited December 1969

Thea Render, but the first release will be a Daz to Thea exporter for geometry, lights camera and fix materials (clipping for hair/eyelashes)

• LpProjectLpProject Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Thea Render, for Daz, good idea, am looking forward.