Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA - version 8.5.1.19, Now Available! (UPDATED)

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:
    First post was updated. :) Yes we finally managed to stop the crashes when you remove Valentina, and run PostgreSQL by itself. :)

What about the crash that occurs if you choose to continue to run Valentina, and not install PostgreSQL at all?

Valentina is problematic in our experience with implementation, especially on the Mac. We did not choose to change to PostgreSQL lightly.

It is highly recommended that you switch to the PostgreSQL CMS.

Well, you really didn't answer my question.
    I choose to continue to use Valentina because it is compatible with the current released version of Carrara. PostgreSQL is not.
    I prefer not to break my current Carrara installation by installing PostgreSQL.
    I usually look forward to beta testing the new Carrara releases, but they normally can run side by side without breaking the official version.
    If the crashing that occurs if you are only running Valentina has been resolved, then I'll try it (basically to look for newly broken features).

Has the crash that occurs if you are only running Valentina been resolved? If there was a crash on the release version of Carrara when you are running Valentina, I am unaware of it, as no such bug had been filed. If there was a crash only running Valentina with the Beta, I am unaware of it, as no such bug had been filed. The Beta crash occurred if you weren't running Valentina.

If you are experiencing such a crash, please file a bug report with steps to reproduce and we will do what we can to resolve it.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:
    First post was updated. :) Yes we finally managed to stop the crashes when you remove Valentina, and run PostgreSQL by itself. :)

What about the crash that occurs if you choose to continue to run Valentina, and not install PostgreSQL at all?

Valentina is problematic in our experience with implementation, especially on the Mac. We did not choose to change to PostgreSQL lightly.

I choose to continue to use Valentina because it is compatible with the current released version of Carrara. PostgreSQL is not.
    I usually look forward to beta testing the new Carrara releases, but they normally can run side by side without breaking the official version.
    If the crashing that occurs if you are only running Valentina has been resolved, then I'll try it (basically to look for newly broken features).

Has the crash that occurs if you are only running Valentina been resolved? If there was a crash on the release version of Carrara when you are running Valentina, I am unaware of it, as no such bug had been filed. If there was a crash only running Valentina with the Beta, I am unaware of it, as no such bug had been filed. The Beta crash occurred if you weren't running Valentina.

If you are experiencing such a crash, please file a bug report with steps to reproduce and we will do what we can to resolve it.

I never said that there was a crash with the release version.
    The crash occurs with the Beta.

I did file a bug report. Request #181009, November 26, 2014.
    Cristina Galloway responded.
    After forwarding to her the requested log file, she replied "Thank you. I have sent this to QA."

Obviously, my efforts were in vain. :-(

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

All the Genesis morphs (actor - parameters tab) have gone missing in the Beta.

If one loads one of the predefined characters, they will load but only with that special morph.

• BratpiperBratpiper Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Same as Varsel except even worse... in addition, on the character level (one up from actor) there is no parameter tab at all!
    This happens in Beta build 14. If I uninstall Build 14 (using install manager) and re-install build 12, it all works fine again.

Staying with build 12 now as 14 is totally unusable!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Don't they QA test these Beta's ?

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, I can't get the latest beta 14 to open. It stays on the splash page forever. The same happened with the previous version (12). It worked for a few months, then I couldn't open it anymore, It stayed on the splash screen.

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:
    de3an said:

After forwarding to her the requested log file, she replied "Thank you. I have sent this to QA."

I missed it when I looked as it was marked resolved. My Memory was not as good as I thought it was. :)

I just retested the fix on the Mac.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:
    de3an said:

Has the crash that occurs if you are only running Valentina been resolved?

If there was a crash on the release version of Carrara when you are running Valentina, I am unaware of it, as no such bug had been filed. If there was a crash only running Valentina with the Beta, I am unaware of it, as no such bug had been filed. The Beta crash occurred if you weren't running Valentina.

I missed it when I looked as it was marked resolved. My Memory was not as good as I thought it was. :)

I just retested the fix on the Mac.

Cristina Galloway just replied to my bug report (undoubtedly due to this conversation).
    She says, "This has been fixed in BETA version 8.5.1.14."

I have now installed version 8.5.1.14 and can report that it now launches without crashing, using the Valentina CMS.

I did notice, however, that the developers are still not getting the version number correct. I posted about this earlier in this thread.
    Although the splash screen says it is 8.5.1.14, the Carrara App is reporting to the Mac OS that it is version 8.5.0.14.

Carrara_version_info2.png
    474 x 493 - 53K
    Carrara_version_info1.png
    650 x 501 - 661K
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

About this up-date,
    I think,,carrara 8.5 beta run without valentina. (windows PC).

it is good news, if this beta can work without problem.thanks much for daz effort.
    But unfortunately,I can not test it.

because this beta can not show any morphs for my gen2 actor ^^;

(yes yes I know,, some users have already mentioned,,but I can confirm it.
    it is really terrible)

on the other hand,, carrara 8.5 porduct ver can work with valentina only.
    but it can show me morphs for my character.

If I uninstall valentina, I can not use carrara 8.5 product too.
    so that I do not check it. not uninstall valentina,, just uninstall this beta.

(unfortunaately I did not keep recent beta which at least work with valentina and postgre sql ,
    and it can show morphs for genesis actors,,)

• crashworshipcrashworship Posts: 208
    edited December 1969

How does one get the beta? The Cararra Pro 8.5 that i bought hasn't been working well for me. Crashes and issues with loading figure textures and props aren't working at all. Trying to add any material shader to Gen2 turns the figure black, dragging and dropping poses onto a loaded figure crashes Cararra and trying to save a scene originally created in Studio 4.7 will crash Cararra for me as well. Since I'm not having much luck or feeling much love from using the Cararra release I purchased, I might as well try the beta. It couldn't get much worse.

Where do I go to download and install the beta?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

How does one get the beta? The Cararra Pro 8.5 that i bought hasn't been working well for me. Crashes and issues with loading figure textures and props aren't working at all. Trying to add any material shader to Gen2 turns the figure black, dragging and dropping poses onto a loaded figure crashes Cararra and trying to save a scene originally created in Studio 4.7 will crash Cararra for me as well. Since I'm not having much luck or feeling much love from using the Cararra release I purchased, I might as well try the beta. It couldn't get much worse.

I think you need to fill out a support ticket with customer service. There may be a post about who or how further back in the thread.

I wish I could help with the Genesis stuff. It's kind of slow today I noticed, but hopefully someone will be bale to answer your question about the shading issues.

• crashworshipcrashworship Posts: 208
    edited December 1969

I think you need to fill out a support ticket with customer service. There may be a post about who or how further back in the thread.

I wish I could help with the Genesis stuff. It's kind of slow today I noticed, but hopefully someone will be bale to answer your question about the shading issues.

Thanx. I really need to get this stuff solved. I need this app to work.

• BratpiperBratpiper Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

@ kitakoredaz
    I now know what causes the loss of Genesis morphs in the Beta build 14.
    If you are running only the Beta you are using only the postgre sql. BUT... Daz tell me that the Beta still installs a new Valentina even if you have deleted one previously or have none to start with (for compatability with earlier versions).
    In this case, make certain that you do not have "PostgreSQL CMS From Valentina CMS Conversion..." of any type in you Daz Install Manager listing - if so "uninstall" and/or remove it. Then update to build 14 and it should all work fine.
    If you are on Carrara Beta build 14 - unistall it using DIM, then install build 12 again (which does not have this bug), then update to 14 as above.
    DAZ are aware of this so it should get sorted next time around.

NOTE that if you are using Valintina ignore this - it applies only if NOT using Valentina.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

@ Bratpiper,
    This (above post) is an awesome troubleshoot solution! Thanks for the post!

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

It probably was answered already. Can both the beta and regular version be run at the same time?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

akulla3D said:
    It probably was answered already. Can both the beta and regular version be run at the same time?

Yes, I have them both on the same PC
    edited December 1969

Two major things in this update.
    1. The parameters pane glitch is fixed. (Where the Pose Controls were hidden).

2. If you have your Genesis/Genesis 2 Male/Genesis 2 Female morphs for a figure in multiple mapped directories, they will all work now. (For example if you followed our recommended practices and had all your DAZ 3D purchased morphs, installed by Install Manager, in one directory, and had morphs you purchased from another store or created using Generation X in another directory, they will, now, all work.) Mil 4, for example Victoria 4, EXP morphs (which, to my knowledge, are only sold at DAZ 3D) are still all required to be in the same mapped Runtime, like in DS and Poser.

Thanks

edited December 1969

The morphs in the parameter tab is still missing for Genesis and G2
    That is if I only start Carrara. And then there are no Smart Content.

If I start DS first, and then Carrara, the morphs show up. And there are Smart Content.

When installing, I have let DIM do all the work.
    I have not un-istalled anything....

edited December 1969

Varsel said:

If I start DS first, and then Carrara, the morphs show up. And there are Smart Content.

There are two parameters tabs.
    The one with the shapes on it is the one on the "Actor" line, which is the line in the instance tab that represents the mesh.
    The one that shows up with the pose controls, jcm, etc. is the line above the "Actor" line which is the line that represents the rig.
    Unlike DAZ Studio there is not one that includes both because in Carrara native content, which is what, as far as Carrara is concerned, all DSON files are, it doesn't fit the way Carrara is designed to work.

As far as Smart Content goes. I haven't seen that with just Valentina installed, with Valentina and PostgreSQL installed and with just PostgreSQL installed. This presumes your content directories are mapped in Carrara and your database is populated in the correct content management service.

I will need more information to track down specific issues, if you would like more specific help, please file a support ticket and we can get down to details.

RigParameters.jpg
    640 x 1388 - 128K
    MeshParameters.jpg
    635 x 1364 - 120K
    edited December 1969

ticket # 190401

I have to admit that I really don't know witch Database I am running.
    I trusted DIM, to install what it should.
    But I am assuming that I am running PostgreSQL, since it shows up with 7 (seven) instances in the Task Manager, after I start up DS.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    ticket # 190401

But I am assuming that I am running PostgreSQL, since it shows up with 7 (seven) instances in the Task Manager, after I start up DS.

Thanks
  • AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

For some reason, the stable build now crashes, for both my sister and I.

I suspect this has to do with either the Valentina database update, or the old license server not working, since we're getting DNS errors for both of us.

I also don't have the time today to tell the beta where all my plugins are at/reinstall them!

edited December 1969

Public BETA 3 (8.5.1.17) improvements are:
    1) Fixed an issue with morphs not displaying when using PostgreSQL
    Oh cool! Whew! :ahhh:
    I was wondering what in blazes was going on! :-/
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Hmmm... so it's a Postgre thing?
    I'll have to try this once I install the new .17
    I wasn't getting any morphs in the parameters tab. If I would open a character preset it would load the morph(s) for that preset, but nothing else. But that was version .14
    I didn't check to see if Smart Content was working. If I get the same issue in this version, I'll try running DS in the background.

On my tiny laptop, which runs Win 8.1, I get two new shortcuts: "Start CMS" and "Stop CMS". I'll also look and see if such a thing resides in the cms install on my Win 7, which is my main Carrara workstation.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    ticket # 190401

ThanksHmmm...
    Carrara tries to run Postgre first, right?
    How about this:
    I've run the Valentina to Postgre auto-convert thingy from DIM. Just one of them, as instructed.
    What if Postgre, for some reason, just isn't running... and fails to fire up when Carrara is launched?
    ===================================================================
    Well... come to think of it, all of my morphs do show up in the older Official release version of Carrara 8.5 so....
    Hmmm....
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    ticket # 190401

Thanks
    Hmmm...
    Carrara tries to run Postgre first, right?
    How about this:
    I've run the Valentina to Postgre auto-convert thingy from DIM. Just one of them, as instructed.
    What if Postgre, for some reason, just isn't running... and fails to fire up when Carrara is launched?
    ===================================================================
    Well... come to think of it, all of my morphs do show up in the older Official release version of Carrara 8.5 so....
    Hmmm....

As it looked for me : Carrara didn't start Postgre. I have to start DS first, and then start Carrara.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I had this issue with the smart content, then this post was in the thread a few pages back

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/P195/#772096

I did the start thing and it worked from then on.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Two major things in this update.
    1. The parameters pane glitch is fixed. (Where the Pose Controls were hidden).

2. If you have your Genesis/Genesis 2 Male/Genesis 2 Female morphs for a figure in multiple mapped directories, they will all work now. (For example if you followed our recommended practices and had all your DAZ 3D purchased morphs, installed by Install Manager, in one directory, and had morphs you purchased from another store or created using Generation X in another directory, they will, now, all work.) Mil 4, for example Victoria 4, EXP morphs (which, to my knowledge, are only sold at DAZ 3D) are still all required to be in the same mapped Runtime, like in DS and Poser.

Thanks

Since I am behind the times, do you have a link to this setup or the recommended practices for this.
    Thanks!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited April 2015

-_Milo_- said:

Since I am behind the times, do you have a link to this setup or the recommended practices for this.
    Thanks!

Well, the official guide is here:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/carrara/8_5/userguide/getting_started/start
    However it does not include the beta instructions for migrating from Valentina to Postgres database or how to install from scratch to avoid the old Valentina completely.

EDIT
    This part needs a better instruction for noobs doing a clean or a dirty installation:

To help get you up and running with the new PostgreSQL service, we’ve added a separate package in Install Manager that will automatically migrate any existing data from your Valentina database; you simply install it after the PostgreSQL server is installed. The amount of time required to migrate the data will vary depending on the amount of data you have and your system specs.

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I got this when loading a .duf written from Studio. No errors from Studio from this file.

Kendall

carrara_error.png
    1600 x 900 - 131K