Jeepers, Creepers... I gave G8 G9's peepers.

When I saw on one of the posts that the eyes were conformers instead of geografts I got to thinking "Hmmm..." cool

So with about 15 minutes of futzing around, I was able to turn G9's eyes into a conforming G8M prop.

It actually works really well, and once you set it up and save it out, you can drop it in any g8 figure, just make sure to hide the g8 left and right eye joint.

I wouldn't really call this an advanced operation either, maybe intermediate at best.

Attached is a picture of Scar 8 with the default g8 eyes and materials. Then a version of his with the refitted G9 eyes and its default mats. Next is a mix of Brutus and Scar with G9 eyes showing how it moves seamlessly with g8's eye controls.

I would not have thought about making the eyes conforming it, but I do see its benefits. But as you can see, this is a pretty easy way to "upgrade" your g8 for free using the g9 model wink

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

Very cool ,now to learn if I can do it

• MeneerWolfman said:

When I saw on one of the posts that the eyes were conformers instead of geografts I got to thinking "Hmmm..." cool

So with about 15 minutes of futzing around, I was able to turn G9's eyes into a conforming G8M prop.

It actually works really well, and once you set it up and save it out, you can drop it in any g8 figure, just make sure to hide the g8 left and right eye joint.

I wouldn't really call this an advanced operation either, maybe intermediate at best.

Attached is a picture of Scar 8 with the default g8 eyes and materials. Then a version of his with the refitted G9 eyes and its default mats. Next is a mix of Brutus and Scar with G9 eyes showing how it moves seamlessly with g8's eye controls.

I would not have thought about making the eyes conforming it, but I do see its benefits. But as you can see, this is a pretty easy way to "upgrade" your g8 for free using the g9 model wink

Could you please give instructions how to do it?

• very good Upgrade for G8 :)

Where'd your pictures go?

• MeneerWolfmanMeneerWolfman Posts: 421
    edited October 2022

Two other examples with everyone's fan favorite, Maxx.

The simplified instructions are as follows. Please note, you may have to individually scale the eyeballs manually for certain figures. This is just my first go at it, so I can't say these scales are 100% spot on, but works well enough to share.

1. Load G9 and a G8M
    2. On G8M, turn off visibility on the left and right eye joint so they are hidden.
    3. Delete mouth, eyelashes, and tears
    4. Make sure hidden properties is checked and visible.
    5. Dial in the g8m clone under Hidden->Clones
    6. Make the g9 figure invisible and then select the g9 eyes and set resolution to base
    7. Select the left eye joint and scale the left eye joint to 125%, set y translate to -2.65 and X translate to .13
    8. repeat with right eye joint but make the X translate -.13
    9. At this point, I would eyeball how good the g9 eyes look on the g8 figure as they should be roughly the same height and size. These numbers are just my first couple of tests and what I found to be close.
    10. Export the g9 eyes with all setting at default and scale at 100%
    11. import the eyes with default and scale at 100%
    12. Asset transfer g8m to g9 eyes obj, leave all on default settings.
    13. Then hide the g8 body and select the new g9 eyes and go to geometry editor
    14. User the lasso tool and circle the left eye ball to high light all left eye geometry then assign to the lEye face group. Repeat the same for the right side assigning it the rEye face group.
    15. Under surfaces, remove the "_" in all the surface names and replace with " "
    16. Under the g9 eyeball, expand the joints and then select the left eye, now change the to the node weight map brush. Select general weight and paint the entire left eye red. 
    17. Now select the right eyeball joint and repeat.
    18. With the new "g9 eyeball" prop selected, go to edit -> object -> geometry -> Convert to Subd
    19. You will need to do one last thing. On the original genesis 9 eye props. Select either the left or right eye surface and then in a folder in your content tree where you want this to live, do a "save shader preset" and save the eye surface (just one) as a g9 shader. 
    20. Finally, in the same content tree folder, do a "save material preset" and then save the eyemoisture surfaces. Do not save the eye left or right one.
    21. At this point you can save this out as a prop.
    Maxx with g9 eyes 01.png
    1400 x 1700 - 3M
    Maxx with g9 eyes 02.png
    1400 x 1700 - 2M
    Post edited by MeneerWolfman on
  • Very useful. Thanks for the walkthrough. yes

• zombietaggerung said:

Very useful. Thanks for the walkthrough. yes

You're welcome. They're actually very cool eyes and the conforming eyes are a nice idea. I'm just not ready to sacrifice g8 to get them cheeky

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

MeneerWolfman said:

Very nice. The only criticism I have is that the irises are too large. Can you dial them smaller a bit? 

• AllenArt said:

MeneerWolfman said:

Very nice. The only criticism I have is that the irises are too large. Can you dial them smaller a bit? 

Yes, it will take any and all existing eye morphs you have on your g8 figure. They are a bit big because well g8m is a bit weirdly proportioned by default frown

This is the same image from before with the Daz "Eyes Iris Size" reduced to -75%

Maxx with g9 eyes 03.png
    1400 x 1700 - 2M
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

MeneerWolfman said:

AllenArt said:

MeneerWolfman said:

Yes, it will take any and all existing eye morphs you have on your g8 figure. They are a bit big because well g8m is a bit weirdly proportioned by default frown

This is the same image from before with the Daz "Eyes Iris Size" reduced to -75%

yes 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

If the process described above is just applying the G8 rigging to a separate eyeball, couldnt we just separate out the G8 eyeball instead of using the G9 eyeball, and then rig that G8 eyeball instead of the G9 eyeball?  That way the G8 eyeball would already be scaled and in correct position so wouldnt need to rescale the g9 eyeball etc before rigging.

Or is there something particular that we want from the G9 eyeball that the G8 eyeball doesnt have?

• lilweep said:

If the process described above is just applying the G8 rigging to a separate eyeball, couldnt we just separate out the G8 eyeball instead of using the G9 eyeball, and then rig that G8 eyeball instead of the G9 eyeball?  That way the G8 eyeball would already be scaled and in correct position so wouldnt need to rescale the g9 eyeball etc before rigging.

Or is there something particular that we want from the G9 eyeball that the G8 eyeball doesnt have?

The G9 eyes are more poly dense and have a different UV. It would allow you to use the new g9 eye textures too.

Thank you very much

• carrie58 said:

Thank you very much

You're welcome :)

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Why not just use the 8.1 UV map on the 8.0 eyes, so you can use the 8.1 textures? G9 eye UVs are very similar to 8.1, so you can just swap the G9 eye textures onto your favorite 8.0 characters this way. This way you still keep all the eye morphs you have on 8.0 to make any adjustments to the iris, ect.

You can save your G9/G8.1 eye as a shader preset, which lets you apply it to any surface. You can apply this new shader to your 8.0 character and manually swap the UV to 8.1 in the surface settings. Boom, 8.1/9 eyes on a 8.0 character.

To get the UV, export a dev G8.1 as OBJ. Load your dev 8.0. Go to the surfaces tab, click the box that opens the drop down menu, find EDIT, LOAD UV SET. Then use the OBJ file you just made. Now you have 8.1 UVs for 8.0.

This doesn't allow you to use the 8.1 head UV on the 8.0, if anybody is wondering. It works fantastic for the eyes, though. But it is part of the process that can make a 8.1 UV work natively on G8.0.

• MeneerWolfmanMeneerWolfman Posts: 421
    edited October 2022

outrider42 said:

Why not just use the 8.1 UV map on the 8.0 eyes, so you can use the 8.1 textures? G9 eye UVs are very similar to 8.1, so you can just swap the G9 eye textures onto your favorite 8.0 characters this way. This way you still keep all the eye morphs you have on 8.0 to make any adjustments to the iris, ect.

You can save your G9/G8.1 eye as a shader preset, which lets you apply it to any surface. You can apply this new shader to your 8.0 character and manually swap the UV to 8.1 in the surface settings. Boom, 8.1/9 eyes on a 8.0 character.

To get the UV, export a dev G8.1 as OBJ. Load your dev 8.0. Go to the surfaces tab, click the box that opens the drop down menu, find EDIT, LOAD UV SET. Then use the OBJ file you just made. Now you have 8.1 UVs for 8.0.

This doesn't allow you to use the 8.1 head UV on the 8.0, if anybody is wondering. It works fantastic for the eyes, though. But it is part of the process that can make a 8.1 UV work natively on G8.0.

A few reasons:

• They're slightly more than 3x more poly dense at base rez. 344 polys per eye for g8, 1054 for g9.
    • Their surfaces are set up differently, and I can't imagine we're going to get more eye resources for g8/g8.1 moving forward. So better to use the g9 UV and surfaces
    • They just look better. Own more than a couple of eye kits for g8/g8.1 and g9 just looks better overall
    Post edited by MeneerWolfman on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Are you rendering the people at base res? Just stepping up once quadruples that number. Rendering at HD2 quadruples it again. By that point the poly count of the eyes becomes irrelevant, and honestly I have never seen an image of G8 where I thought the eyes specifically were lacking in this area. I've certainly thought other things needed more subdivision at times, like eyelashes or eyebrows, but not the eyes.

Most of the improvement you see is from a texture design rather the model design itself. The mesh is a little bit different, but not in a way that makes the mesh objectively better.

And I have found a drawback to the Genesis 9 eyes. They have a pupil bag now, which is cool, I guess, but that doesn't serve a real purpose. Additionally, a large portion of the polygons that you quoted as making the G9 eye superior come from the fact that they spent a number of those polygons on making the inner eye, when it doesn't serve a purpose for us. 

Here is a test. This is Zelara 8. She has one default G9 eye positioned in place and one G8 eyeball wearing the default G9 mats. Which is better?

As for the surfaces, G9 also combined the 'eye moisture' and 'cornea' surfaces. Easy fix, just use the same eye moisture shader on the cornea, and make sure both are set to the 8.1 UV like the rest of the eye surfaces. Problem solved.

Other than that, the most visible difference is that the sclera takes up a different amount of space from 8.1 and 9. This is the only thing I see here, and the only way to tell which eye is which. Other than that, you would never know which eye is which. If you didn't tell you about the sclera and used both G8 or G9 eyes, you wouldn't notice.

I found a new problem that I didn't expect. Because the G9 eye now has this pupil bag inner eye shape, the eye socket from my Zelara poked through this. In some shots it is not a problem, but in certain lights this created a reflection inside the pupil. Maybe not a big deal if done right, but there might be certain shapes that allow this to happen, and in such cases you have to make changes to the lacrimal to get rid of it. I am not sure why the pupil needed this huge bag. This wasn't a problem with past models because the pupil was shallow. On a fair number of G8s you will find the eye socket is smaller than the actual eye itself. So when this happens and you are using the G9 eyes, you may run into this issue.

• outrider42 said:

Are you rendering the people at base res? Just stepping up once quadruples that number. Rendering at HD2 quadruples it again. By that point the poly count of the eyes becomes irrelevant, and honestly I have never seen an image of G8 where I thought the eyes specifically were lacking in this area. I've certainly thought other things needed more subdivision at times, like eyelashes or eyebrows, but not the eyes.

Most of the improvement you see is from a texture design rather the model design itself. The mesh is a little bit different, but not in a way that makes the mesh objectively better.

And I have found a drawback to the Genesis 9 eyes. They have a pupil bag now, which is cool, I guess, but that doesn't serve a real purpose. Additionally, a large portion of the polygons that you quoted as making the G9 eye superior come from the fact that they spent a number of those polygons on making the inner eye, when it doesn't serve a purpose for us. 

Here is a test. This is Zelara 8. She has one default G9 eye positioned in place and one G8 eyeball wearing the default G9 mats. Which is better?

As for the surfaces, G9 also combined the 'eye moisture' and 'cornea' surfaces. Easy fix, just use the same eye moisture shader on the cornea, and make sure both are set to the 8.1 UV like the rest of the eye surfaces. Problem solved.

Other than that, the most visible difference is that the sclera takes up a different amount of space from 8.1 and 9. This is the only thing I see here, and the only way to tell which eye is which. Other than that, you would never know which eye is which. If you didn't tell you about the sclera and used both G8 or G9 eyes, you wouldn't notice.

I found a new problem that I didn't expect. Because the G9 eye now has this pupil bag inner eye shape, the eye socket from my Zelara poked through this. In some shots it is not a problem, but in certain lights this created a reflection inside the pupil. Maybe not a big deal if done right, but there might be certain shapes that allow this to happen, and in such cases you have to make changes to the lacrimal to get rid of it. I am not sure why the pupil needed this huge bag. This wasn't a problem with past models because the pupil was shallow. On a fair number of G8s you will find the eye socket is smaller than the actual eye itself. So when this happens and you are using the G9 eyes, you may run into this issue.

If it works for you, more power to you. The G9 eye looks better and works better for me, but if you're happy with a new UV slapped on the G8 that method is equally valid for you. It's a hobby afterall yes

• great, with enough experimentation we can completely turn a g8 into a g9 lol

• SolitarySandpiperSolitarySandpiper Posts: 468
    edited November 2022

MeneerWolfman said:

Two other examples with everyone's fan favorite, Maxx.

The simplified instructions are as follows. Please note, you may have to individually scale the eyeballs manually for certain figures. This is just my first go at it, so I can't say these scales are 100% spot on, but works well enough to share.

1. Load G9 and a G8M
    2. On G8M, turn off visibility on the left and right eye joint so they are hidden.
    3. Delete mouth, eyelashes, and tears
    4. Make sure hidden properties is checked and visible.
    5. Dial in the g8m clone under Hidden->Clones
    6. Make the g9 figure invisible and then select the g9 eyes and set resolution to base
    7. Select the left eye joint and scale the left eye joint to 125%, set y translate to -2.65 and X translate to .13
    8. repeat with right eye joint but make the X translate -.13
    9. At this point, I would eyeball how good the g9 eyes look on the g8 figure as they should be roughly the same height and size. These numbers are just my first couple of tests and what I found to be close.
    10. Export the g9 eyes with all setting at default and scale at 100%
    11. import the eyes with default and scale at 100%
    12. Asset transfer g8m to g9 eyes obj, leave all on default settings.
    13. Then hide the g8 body and select the new g9 eyes and go to geometry editor
    14. User the lasso tool and circle the left eye ball to high light all left eye geometry then assign to the lEye face group. Repeat the same for the right side assigning it the rEye face group.
    15. Under surfaces, remove the "_" in all the surface names and replace with " "
    16. Under the g9 eyeball, expand the joints and then select the left eye, now change the to the node weight map brush. Select general weight and paint the entire left eye red. 
    17. Now select the right eyeball joint and repeat.
    18. With the new "g9 eyeball" prop selected, go to edit -> object -> geometry -> Convert to Subd
    19. You will need to do one last thing. On the original genesis 9 eye props. Select either the left or right eye surface and then in a folder in your content tree where you want this to live, do a "save shader preset" and save the eye surface (just one) as a g9 shader. 
    20. Finally, in the same content tree folder, do a "save material preset" and then save the eyemoisture surfaces. Do not save the eye left or right one.
    21. At this point you can save this out as a prop.

This is probably beyond my skill level (judging the results of my first attempt) but i am keen to get it right... the promising thing is i was able to follow the tutorial to the end but i must have made some mistakes... when i loaded my saved materials onto my new prop it only effected the right eye, the left eye turned transparent, also when i tried to load another material from the gen 9 starter essentials nothing happened.

Things i wasn't sure about...

15. Under surfaces, remove the "_" in all the surface names and replace with " "  (does this mean replace the _ with a space or just remove it?)

16. now change to the node weight map brush. Select general weight and paint the entire left eye red. (when i selected general weight the eye turned red anyway and when i painted it, it was with a slightly transparent yellow... i've never been in that tool before so that must be the default setting, does that sound right?)

21. At this point you can save this out as a prop. ( is that...  save as > support asset > Figure/prop assets?)

Thank you for the tutorial and i hope you (or anyone who knows better than me) can guide me to a successful outcome yes

Post edited by SolitarySandpiper on
    edited November 2022

Ok, i'm making progress but it still isn't right... 

i've got it working on both eyes now and i think i'm right in saying i will have to save a shader preset and material preset for each eye colour i want to use and i can't just click on a colour i like in the G9 essentials, correct?

i don't know for sure but i think it's step 16 where i'm struggling...it starts with "under the G9 eyeballs" (are we talking the new G9 eyeballs?) also i've never used this tool and am finding it difficult to follow the instructions to a point where i'm confident i've completed the step.

Help from anyone would be appreciated,

Thank you.

eyes.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
  • My bad, was overseas for the holidays and didn't see this.

For step 16, you need to expand the new gen9 eye prop and go down to the individual "left eye" and then "right eye" joint and then choose the weight map brush and then the general weight map. You'll have to do it for each joint "left eye" and "right eye". Those two joints you need to make sure that each eyeball (respectively) is painted red. E.g., "Left eye" joint, the left eyeball is completely red and the right eyeball should have no weightmap.

• MeneerWolfman said:

My bad, was overseas for the holidays and didn't see this.

For step 16, you need to expand the new gen9 eye prop and go down to the individual "left eye" and then "right eye" joint and then choose the weight map brush and then the general weight map. You'll have to do it for each joint "left eye" and "right eye". Those two joints you need to make sure that each eyeball (respectively) is painted red. E.g., "Left eye" joint, the left eyeball is completely red and the right eyeball should have no weightmap.

Hi there... i've tried step 16 (the best i can) on both the new and old gen9 eye prop but the result is the same as if i didn't carry the step out at all.

there is something wrong and i can't pinpoint it!

• i could do with clarification on the following steps...

10, export as what?

12, via transfer utility?

15, does this mean remove the _ but leave a space?

Thank you.

• SolitarySandpiper said:

i could do with clarification on the following steps...

10, export as what?

12, via transfer utility?

15, does this mean remove the _ but leave a space?

Thank you.

10.) You would export as an obj with the default settings.

12.) Correct, via asset transfer utility

15.) Correct, this is so the surface has the same name as the default g9 eye surfaces so you can apply materials to it.

edited December 2022

This is what happens when i open the node weight map brush tool... when selected they are already red, it's difficult to know if the eyeball was successfuly painted red when it is already red to begin with, is it the same for you?

g9eye.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 644K
    g9eye2.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 654K
    edited December 2022

Maybe you are color blind, there is clearly still some blue there in your screenshots...

Look at the Head bone, there will still be some red weight assigned to that. So you need to paint it so eyes are all red (which will mean no other bones have any red weighting)

Also pro tip dont follow these two steps of the tutorial.Those values stated in the tutorial will put the eye in the wrong position and it will become more obvious with eye poses and face morphs
    Scale and position one of the eyes in Blender in Xray or Wireframe mode using a native G8 set of eyes as a guide.  Use Morph loader and use symmetry options to apply the eye morph to both eyes

MeneerWolfman said:​

1. Select the left eye joint and scale the left eye joint to 125%, set y translate to -2.65 and X translate to .13
    2. repeat with right eye joint but make the X translate -.1
    Post edited by lilweep on
    edited December 2022

lilweep said:

Maybe you are color blind, there is clearly blue there in your screenshots...

Look at the Head bone, there will still be some red weight assigned to that. So you need to paint it so eyes are all red (which will mean no other bones have any red weighting)

Also pro tip dont follow these two steps of the tutorial. Scale and position each eye individually (probably best to do it in Blender in Xray or Wireframe mode using a native G8 set of eyes as a guide), otherwise the G9 eyes will end up in the wrong position and it will become more obvious with eye poses and face morphs

1. Select the left eye joint and scale the left eye joint to 125%, set y translate to -2.65 and X translate to .13

Yes i can see that but none of these eyeballs have been painted yet... how can you possible tell when the eye has been completely painted red with the brush when 95% was red to begin with?

Edit: or am i misunderstanding and the eyes already come mostly weighted and i just need to fill in the bits missing?

edited December 2022

SolitarySandpiper said:

lilweep said:

Maybe you are color blind, there is clearly blue there in your screenshots...

Also pro tip dont follow these two steps of the tutorial. Scale and position each eye individually (probably best to do it in Blender in Xray or Wireframe mode using a native G8 set of eyes as a guide), otherwise the G9 eyes will end up in the wrong position and it will become more obvious with eye poses and face morphs

Yes i can see that but none of these eyeballs have been painted yet... how can you possible tell when the eye has been completely painted red with the brush when 95% was red to begin with?

Edit: or am i misunderstanding and the eyes already come mostly weighted and i just need to fill in the bits missing?

you did Transfer Utility in a previous step, which will transfer most of the weights to your G9 eyes, but it wont be perfect (some of the weights will be assigned to the Head bone instead of the Eye bones)

to make it perfect, you need to manually paint any parts of the mesh that arent already red for the Eye bone to red (95% of it will already be red from Transfer Utility). 

edited December 2022

lilweep said:

Also while im here and for posterity:

there are several layers of geometry to g9 eye, so you need to ensure you paint weights for all layerrs, not just the top layer.

Otherwise you will end up with some blue weighting on the internal eyeball. 

Instead of painting weights, just select the eyeball geometry, and then change tool to Weight Node Brush and right-click->Edit Weights-> 'fill selected' as 100%

Capture.JPG
    1452 x 1019 - 102K