Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Agree 100%, great work diomede!

• DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Ok. I'll bite on...

Here is one that I started on in the previous Carrara challenge.

This is edge and pointmodeling.
    I put the DAZ (or old Zygote Cow) in the assembly room. Then I gave her a colour that stands out from the background.
    A new vertex model, with just a single plane.
    I then placed this plane (from the front view) so the cows head would be just behind it.
    Then with modeling in the assembly room I started tracing out the outline of the head. Adding lines and points as I progressed.
    I was also all the time aware of the edgeflow so I could extrude and shape afterwards.
    I then created the rim with a cylinder with an empty center. And then welded and connected the head and rim together.

The text was created with the text tool, I then converted to a vertex object. What I did discover is that the fidelity value can be critical when doing this.
    A lower value ( I used 50 %) gives fewer polygons, and will be easier to fix afterwards. The conversion from text object to vertex object isn't perfect, and it will need adjustment afterwards.

A copy of the part of the rim that should have the text was put in the back (shown as red) and then it was edge and point modeling again, so I could copy/paste the text into the Cow medal and adjust size and placement and weld together.

The laurel wrath was also a edge and point modeling exercise, but here I used a picture on the backplane in the vertex modeler.

Really nice job on this - love it.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Trying to make heads to go with the comic bodies earlier in this thread. Here is a WIP on a comic female head after using smooth/convert. I am still working from the lower poly frame, though. Still haven't gotten around to the ears.

head_2.JPG
    547 x 514 - 29K
    head_try_post_1.JPG
    804 x 670 - 88K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Fine job modeling, diomede!
    Very nice looking mesh.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Fine job modeling, diomede!
    Very nice looking mesh.
    yes great thread this
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I need to build a stone fox for one of my currently shelved projects, & seeing Diomede's dog early on has given me a clue how to go about it.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Really nice face, diomede - far better than any attempt I've made :)

Just a suggestion - if you intend morphing expressions, the mesh should be constructed using concentric circles - see the pic taken from the Hexagon content.

Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xls25e08sSg

Ryan Kittleson has a great method. This is done in Maya, but I'm sure you can follow along in any application.

face.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 385K
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I need to build a stone fox for one of my currently shelved projects, & seeing Diomede's dog early on has given me a clue how to go about it.

pleasure I forgot about it till some other kind soul linked to it :)

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Really nice face, diomede - far better than any attempt I've made :)

Just a suggestion - if you intend morphing expressions, the mesh should be constructed using concentric circles - see the pic taken from the Hexagon content.

Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xls25e08sSg

Ryan Kittleson has a great method. This is done in Maya, but I'm sure you can follow along in any application.

really impressed by your organic modelling skills Roy :) till I read the post more fully, still impressed though by your modelling skills!

edited December 1969

Thanks, Andy - organic is definitely not my forte! Which is probably why I keep plugging at it.:)

Here's an excellent article on face modelling - http://www.thundercloud-studio.com/index.php?page=tutorial/ModelingTutorial/headModeling#modeling

The main problem is getting good reference pics, without bothering family to pose for me.

Speaking of which, has anyone found a method to do a render of full-face and profile in orthogonal view - i.e.,no perspective? That would be a good method of getting reference pics :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Thanks, Andy - organic is definitely not my forte! Which is probably why I keep plugging at it.:)

Here's an excellent article on face modelling - http://www.thundercloud-studio.com/index.php?page=tutorial/ModelingTutorial/headModeling#modeling

The main problem is getting good reference pics, without bothering family to pose for me.

Speaking of which, has anyone found a method to do a render of full-face and profile in orthogonal view - i.e.,no perspective? That would be a good method of getting reference pics :)

Change your camera type to Isometric in the Camera's General tab by using the pulldown menu.

The other thing to do would be to move the camera away from the figure- w-a-a-y-y-y away and max out the zoom. Probably just easier to change the camera type.

Picture_4.png
    248 x 749 - 41K
    edited December 1969

Thanks, EP - I'd forgotten about that one - works fine with some finniky maneuvering.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the links, Roy. Some great resources. Now that the 8.5 Beta has fixed the normals in duplicate with symmetry, I have been itching to get back to character creation, but I keep letting other stuff get in the way. I have learned so much from you and others since last summer that I am likely to start over, but am confident that I would make much faster progress now.

In addition to flat photo references, I like to use 3D models while modeling in the assembly room. One suggestion for the placement of edges (whether it is the face or elsewhere) is to follow the underlying musculature. Finding a medical model of the human form, or applying a muscle texture map to a Daz dolly, or whatever, can be another great resource to assist organic modeling. I wouldn't use that instead of photo references of humans; rather, it can be a good supplement regarding where edges could be.

Because this is the Daz forum I will link to a Daz product, but I'd encourage searches for additional (and less expensive?) resources.

http://www.daz3d.com/muscularity-morphs-for-genesis-2-bundle

edited December 1969

domede, your modeling skills have really blossomed!

Thanks for inspiring me to have another go at making a head - this I've always found to be the most difficult. Not so much the face, but finishing off the top and back of the head. Not to mention ears - that must be the most difficult thing to model in the whole universe.

Took all afternoon and about six discards, but finally got something I can use as a generic "rubber face". Admittedly in Hex - I did start a couple in Carrara, but the lack of fast edge splitting tools and not being able to see the ref pics in anything but orthographic views frustrated me too much :)

Vicky would roll over in Hex's grave if she knew I'd used her as a reference:)

rubberface.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 421K
  • otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    edited March 2015

The other day, I was trying to UV map a model made in SketchUp, I am using both programs quite often, and I have found this combination very useful to me. The case is that when I tried to do the mapping some mess did occur, so I went to origins in vertex room trying to fix the problem with no success at all.

So I decided to model the sheet (it was a perforated sheet) in the vertex room in DAZ Carrara from zero, and I become to be addicted to this kind of modelling, in the following images you'll find the process in doing this thing.

I did some tests, first perforating the sheet, then extruding the octagons to obtain rounded caps, and the result was just the thing I was looking for.

Mickey_Dotted_Sheet.png
    698 x 761 - 291K
    Mickey_perforated_Sheet.png
    637 x 632 - 282K
    Mickey_Mesh_VERTEX_room.png
    558 x 832 - 122K
    handle_grip_in_progress-2.png
    891 x 851 - 53K
    Hnadle_Grip_in_progress-1.png
    640 x 858 - 37K
    Post edited by otodomus on
    edited December 1969

otodomus said:
    The other day, I was trying to UV map a model made in SketchUp, I am using both programs quite often, and I have found this combination very useful to me. The case is that when I tried to do the mapping some mess did occur, so I went to origins in vertex room trying to fix the problem with no success at all.

So I decided to model the sheet (it was a perforated sheet) in the vertex room in DAZ Carrara from zero, and I become to be addicted to this kind of modelling, in the following images you'll find the process in doing this thing.

I did some tests, first perforating the sheet, then extruding the octagons to obtain rounded caps, and the result was just the thing I was looking for.

Pretty cool. I'm glad you're enjoying Carrara! It needs the love!

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited March 2015

otodomus said:

Nice to see Sketchup users having fun here!

As much as I'm psychologically attached to ZBrush the sculptor (and modeler too since 4R7), I continue to marvel at Carrara's modeling and mapping capabilities. What little I have discovered in the UV unwrap area, make up for some fundamental UV features ZBrush still lacks. Very happy with that...

Sketchup is a really nice hard surface modeling tool but unless you have the pro version you will be sent through the UV hoops and madness.

Carrara's hard surface modeling/ extrusion feel very intuitive and efficient, more robust than Sketchup in some areas (even if the UI needs more love from Carrara dev) ;)

In hindsight I wish I discovered Carrara earlier so I save time learning tedious Sketchup face flipping and UV workarounds. Would have been more fun than trying to perform hard surface architecture stunts in ZBrush 4R6... Why oh why they hide Carrara from us huh huh huh lol

Post edited by Mythmaker on
    edited December 1969

If you are interested in making buildings and such, there is a Carrara plugin called Architools (I think). I don't have it myself, but I have seen some of the things it does, and have been impressed.

edited December 1969

otodomus said:

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    otodomus said:

Nice to see Sketchup users having fun here!

As much as I'm psychologically attached to ZBrush the sculptor (and modeler too since 4R7), I continue to marvel at Carrara's modeling and mapping capabilities. What little I have discovered in the UV unwrap area, make up for some fundamental UV features ZBrush still lacks. Very happy with that...

Sketchup is a really nice hard surface modeling tool but unless you have the pro version you will be sent through the UV hoops and madness.

Carrara's hard surface modeling/ extrusion feel very intuitive and efficient, more robust than Sketchup in some areas (even if the UI needs more love from Carrara dev) ;)

In hindsight I wish I discovered Carrara earlier so I save time learning tedious Sketchup face flipping and UV workarounds. Would have been more fun than trying to perform hard surface architecture stunts in ZBrush 4R6... Why oh why they hide Carrara from us huh huh huh lol

I have my own philosophy, and that indicates that the best 3D modelling program is such that gives you what you want to express, to me SketchUp is a rapid tool to model what I need, but Carrara is such wonderful program to make my renders. Now I am in the process to model much more things that in the past, even when I have the pro version of SketchUp this still having its limitations, the vertex room in Carrara provides a powerful tool to model every single part you can imagine.

Thanks for your words.

Otto

edited March 2015

Another video of modeling the human head and face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqopkUTO0Q

With another for the ear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhpk6Bl7Q9g

Post edited by Diomede on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Another video of modeling the human head and face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqopkUTO0Q

With another for the ear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhpk6Bl7Q9g

Damn that's cool! Going from a primitive sphere to a full-fledged human head and neck. And what struck me is that they didn't need to have millions of polys, it actually still looked kind of low poly before they put the skin on, but with the skin it looked excellent.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

An amazing outcome!

What astonished me is that I casually thought the creator's icon / avatar was a photograph of a real person then at the end it turned out to be the head that was modelled.

edited December 1969

Here's the most comprehensive discussion of the topology involved in making a human I've come across in one place Although it is done in Blender, there is no modeling involved to confuse you with different tools - it's only about the topology

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/learning-mesh-topology-collection/

edited July 2015

Here are some low-poly spaceships I am making for a monthly challenge. The render style will either be toon or NPR.

z_polygon_modeling_3.JPG
    1858 x 770 - 133K
    z_polygon_modeling_2.JPG
    1854 x 854 - 144K
    z_polygon_modeling_1.jpg
    1240 x 480 - 90K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Great thread,.

cowirey.jpg
    1156 x 703 - 246K
    Cowrarra_1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K

I modeled a low poly character (Brash Lonergan: Interstellar Marshall) for the June 2015 Carrara challenge.  Everything for Brash was constructed with a toon render in mind.  I intend to convert the figure from pure toon usage to more general CG art usage.  It makes a big difference for the choice of objects for hair, uvmapping approach, shaders, etc.  Here I have replaced the prop hair, eyebrows, and mustache with dynamic hair and rendered it with 3 point lighting instead of the toon filter.  The current skin shader is just the skin shader that comes with Carrara 8.5 content that has been augmented with a mixer and a lttle reflection and SSS.

Even though the challenge will be over, I intend to post occasional updates, such as progress on the eyelashes, replacing the eyeballs, shaders for the skin and lips, edits to make the ears more realistic, morphs for phenomes and expressions, and maybe a couple of dfferent hairstyles - and more.  My photo reference for the head came from http://www.3d.sk/.  That will also be the basis of constructing the ultimate skin shader.  I have attached the face UVs. Other online material came from various places, but especially from a site called artist-reference.  And, of course, my hardcopy of Burne Hogarth's "Drawing the Human Head" is getting a little dog-eared.  I viewed quite a few modeling tutorials, but the following from earlier in this thread was the most helpful to me.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqopkUTO0Q 

Constructive criticism is most welcome. 

WIP head uv.JPG
    391 x 509 - 67K
    WIP Brash with Hair.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 66K

Very nicely done, my friend! Yeah, I really like that video ;) The outcome is just superb!

Wow. 3DSK! It would be fun to get into making some really great human figures in Carrara for Carrara which come with morphs, textures and some clothes. A subscription to that place would take a lot of the texturing PITA out of the equation, eh? 

But, yeah... Brash L. rocks, man! He totally rocks! I'm really looking forwad to seeing more of him!

A good friend of mine (I just spoke of in another thread) loves the Carrara rigging system for its simplicity, while having an accurate, powerful output.

She said that Modo has a very robust and detailed (and currently high-end) rigging system, but it's not even close to being as user-friendly to create as Carrara. 

I have only done some basic rigging in Carrara so far, but I do agree that it's simple to do and the weight mapping works really well - if not a bit finicky for super highly detailed meshes, I'd imagine. She (my friend) doesn't seem to do much (if any) modeling in Carrara, preferring Modo or LW, etc., for that. I have a feeling that if I'd invested in Modo and/or LW, etc., that I'd likely jump into that for model creation as well. But luckily for me, I ended up buying Carrara first, when looking for a modeler. I was looking for a modeler that seemlessly imported (and could use) Poser figures. Such a thing just didn't exist until I've found Carrara - so Carrara, I bought! :)   I've been told that C4D also works with Poser content since then, but I really love working in Carrara, so I simply have found no need to explore other 3d apps so far - which, at this point, I doubt that I ever will since Carrara just gives me everything I need.

All of that said, diomeded, I've really been envying you and all of the 3d figures you've been making in Carrara. If I recall, you've even rigged some up and made them work, haven't you? Anyways, I really like your artistry and want you to know that. You have a great eye for detail and are pulling it all off in my favorite software ever... Carrara! Thanks for that!

I hope I see a lot more of your work as time progresses. Perhaps one day I'll join you in this cause!

3Dage, cool Cow dude! Is he rigged too? 

edited July 2015

Thanks, Dart.  You remain an inspiration for many of us who find Carrara intuitive, flexible, and fun.  Stay motivated!.

I've never looked at Modo, LW, Maya, or Silo.  I've put some time and effort into Hexagon, and lately I've been going through some Blender tutorials, and I've done a couple of Sculptris tests.  However, I still find the flexibility of Carrara works better for me.  I'm referring to having specialty modelers for vertex, spline, formula, metaball, and heightmap/terrain in the same program that uvmaps, textures, 3D paints, grows hair, etc.  For me, that is why I prefer Carrara to Hexagon.  Blender's interface remains a problem for me, although it wasn't as bad as some folks led me to believe it would be.  Not trying to sell anyone else on that approach, but that is my personal  experience so far. 

This thread is dedicated to vertex modeling.  To that end, it might seem like a small thing, but when a recent C8.5 update fixed the normals for duplicate with symmetry, it really got me back modeling in Carrara again.