DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited March 2015

...And I do have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB - whatever graphics card that is. 16 gigs ram.
    Thanks

Hi,

I've read through 80+ pages in this thread to see if anyone has responded to @MichaelLRogers regarding his question; I've also searched through the forums and the other Iray threads to see if I could find an answer elsewhere but haven't found anything. So...I have a similar MacBook Pro as @MichaelLRogers with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M except I have 2048 MB of VRAM--the laptop also has 16 GBs of RAM. The issue I'm having is the only option I'm given in the render settings is CPU rendering. Any Mac users out there who are using a late 2014 MacBook Pro with a NVIDIA graphics card for rendering with Iray? Thanks in advance for any help.

Trish

Post edited by Stormlyght on
  • ScotsprincessScotsprincess Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

...And I do have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB - whatever graphics card that is. 16 gigs ram.
    Thanks

Hi,

I've read through 80+ pages in this thread to see if anyone has responded to @MichaelLRogers regarding his question; I've also searched through the forums and the other Iray threads to see if I could find an answer elsewhere but haven't found anything. So...I have a similar MacBook Pro as @MichaelLRogers with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M except I have 2048 MB of VRAM--the laptop also has 16 GBs of RAM. The issue I'm having is the only option I'm given in the render settings is CPU rendering. Any Mac users out there who are using a late 2014 MacBook Pro with a NVIDIA graphics card for rendering with Iray? Thanks in advance for any help.

Trish

Did you check the advanced tab under render settings? Make sure it is set on Nvidea Iray and then check the advanced settings. I would assume that you have a 64-bit system. This doesn't run on a 32. I don't have Mac but maybe this will help.

edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:

Thanks

Hi,

Trish

Did you check the advanced tab under render settings? Make sure it is set on Nvidea Iray and then check the advanced settings. I would assume that you have a 64-bit system. This doesn't run on a 32. I don't have Mac but maybe this will help.

Hi @ccbn213,

Thank you for your response. Yes. I'm running 64-bit. I've attached a screenshot of my advanced settings under render settings.

Trish

Screen_Shot_2015-03-21_at_5.43_.57_PM_.png
    668 x 1068 - 62K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Does Apple have an updated driver for the card?

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

I guess this is where I'd post an issue with Iray?
    My first few times rendering I was using CPU only as my graphics card was a GTX460.

I just picked up a GTX970 so I tried to render with GPU using the 460 and the 970 but both times I tried to render, the render didn't stop at 92% or after 2 hours. It doesn't seem to be doing anything else, but it just won't finish up.

The first time I started the render then went to bed. I got back to it more than 9 hrs later and it was still at 92% and still running. Cancelling only froze Daz at this point.
    The 2nd time it was 2 1/2 hours and at 92% so I cancelled it. Daz did not freeze this time.

All my settings are at default so it should stop at 92% or 2 hours whichever come first.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:

Thanks

Hi,

Trish

Hi @ccbn213,

Thank you for your response. Yes. I'm running 64-bit. I've attached a screenshot of my advanced settings under render settings.

Trish

You need to install the CUDA library (from Nvidia's site I believe) to get the card to appear.

edited March 2015

ccbn213 said:

Thanks

Hi,

Trish

Hi @ccbn213,

Trish

You need to install the CUDA library (from Nvidia's site I believe) to get the card to appear.

Hi @Male-M3dia

Thank you for the suggestion. I installed the CUDA driver as suggested and it still didn't show my graphics card as an option; prior to that I had also disabled the auto-switching in "energy saver" based on some suggestions from Apple forum discussions, which didn't work either. Frustrated I finally decided to disable the auto-switching again with the CUDA driver installed and now it displays the card as an option. Woo Hoo!!! So anyone else who is having a similar issue with your Mac laptop make sure you have the CUDA driver installed, which can be found at http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html and disable your auto-switching in system preferences>energy saver. Hope this helps someone else.

Trish

Screen_Shot_2015-03-21_at_8.32_.43_PM_.png
    1296 x 244 - 48K
    Screen_Shot_2015-03-21_at_8.31_.44_PM_.png
    714 x 1346 - 100K
    Post edited by Stormlyght on
    edited December 1969

Does Apple have an updated driver for the card?

Hi @fixmypcmike,

I had to download a special CUDA driver and change some system settings to force my laptop to use the NVIDIA card. Thank you though for your suggestion.

Trish

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2015

rbtwhiz said:
    New thread, new version - 4.8.0.9

-Rob

In case you missed this, there is a new thread for version 4.8.0.9: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54058/

We're up to page 20! :)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, but since the thread is huge and I don't know of a "search this thread" function...

Google is probably the closest thing you have to a friend there - try Googling:

Thank you!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:
    A quick note for our customers, so you can't say we didn't let you know before most of you went out and bought a new video card, DAZ is working with some distributors to provide you the stellar deals, and unique value to DAZ customers, on NVIDIA cards directly. I can't go into any details, and if you see a great deal on a different website, by all means, go for it, but if you want to wait to see what we think will be a better value that we can bring you in the near future to help you on the hardware end, its in the pipeline that we're pushing hard finalize.

Hopefully you'll arrange something in the UK as well. :D

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

nicstt said:
    DAZ_Jon said:
    A quick note for our customers, so you can't say we didn't let you know before most of you went out and bought a new video card, DAZ is working with some distributors to provide you the stellar deals, and unique value to DAZ customers, on NVIDIA cards directly. I can't go into any details, and if you see a great deal on a different website, by all means, go for it, but if you want to wait to see what we think will be a better value that we can bring you in the near future to help you on the hardware end, its in the pipeline that we're pushing hard finalize.

Hopefully you'll arrange something in the UK as well. :Dlol.
    And here I'm still waiting for a Region 1 version DVD of "Rise Of The Continents", (and many others) lol. The Region 2 disks play in my computer, tho not in my DVD player, and watching DVD's while working in Daz Studio, dose put a bit of a strain on lower end GPU's lol. Even this new GT730 has difficulty doing both, with high object-count scenes.

I've yet to try the other dreadful scene in 4.8, tho in 4.7, the new card made no difference to the interface responsiveness.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/797895/

edited December 1969

nicstt said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

Hopefully you'll arrange something in the UK as well. :D

lol.
    And here I'm still waiting for a Region 1 version DVD of "Rise Of The Continents", (and many others) lol. The Region 2 disks play in my computer, tho not in my DVD player, and watching DVD's while working in Daz Studio, dose put a bit of a strain on lower end GPU's lol. Even this new GT730 has difficulty doing both, with high object-count scenes.

I've yet to try the other dreadful scene in 4.8, tho in 4.7, the new card made no difference to the interface responsiveness.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/797895/

Out of my hands I'm afraid. TBH they should abolish regions; stupid Hollywood for wanting it.

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

nicstt said:

Out of my hands I'm afraid. TBH they should abolish regions; stupid Hollywood for wanting it.

Not so much stupid as greedy IMO as 'regions' were specifically designed to allow for different markets to get releases at different times and at higher prices than would happen if there was just one simple worldwide standard.

edited December 1969

nicstt said:

Not so much stupid as greedy IMO as 'regions' were specifically designed to allow for different markets to get releases at different times and at higher prices than would happen if there was just one simple worldwide standard.

True enough.

• henrikmkhenrikmk Posts: 15
    edited April 2015

Testing out DAZ4.8 here with a GTX970 eGPU on my Macbook Pro and Iray runs quite well, by simply loading a basic Victoria 6 into an empty scene.

Then, I apply the 'Iray Optimized Genesis 2 shader' that came with the beta version. It renders OK, but then I go to the 'Surfaces' tab, pick the 'Skin' part for V6 and set 'Metallicity' to 0.5.

Now CPU rendering kicks in and GPU rendering stops working for the rest of the session, even if I revert the change or if I create or load a new scene. DAZ needs to be restarted for GPU rendering to work again.

In the log it says at the point of failure:

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Scene processed in 0.916s
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Allocated 804 MB of work space (1024k active samples)
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.3 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): an illegal instruction was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer)
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.3 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Failed to launch renderer
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): an illegal instruction was encountered (while de-allocating memory)
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): an illegal instruction was encountered (while de-allocating memory)
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Device failed while rendering
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend warn : Re-rendering iteration because of device failure
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend error: All workers failed: aborting render
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : Falling back to CPU rendering.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Retry rendering with other devices.
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): an illegal instruction was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

Also, if I hold the mouse over the rotate widget in the viewport and click and drag to rotate, the viewport rotates OK. But if I then do not move the cursor outside the rotate widget and then try to rotate again, the previous camera angle is re-used. I don't think this is intentional?

Edited to change code tags to quote in order to reserve page layout.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,823
    edited April 2015

If the GPU drops out, for lack of memory or for another reason, then it won't be used again until DS is restarted, as far as I know. I don't know if the issue you are seeing is memory related or indicates an actual bug, however. I also don't understand what you mean about the viewport operation post-render. Do, please, note that there is a newer beta - 4.8.0.9 - with its own thread.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • henrikmkhenrikmk Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Apologies for using the wrong thread. May I cross post to the other thread, as this problem is actually occurring in 4.8.0.9?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,823
    edited December 1969

Please do, in that case.

• SuperBoomTurboSuperBoomTurbo Posts: 17
    edited April 2015

Does anyone know if instancing is supported with the Iray renderer? I see the usual studio options and the optimization in the render settings for Iray, but just tried a fairly mild scene with an Instanced car and set the Iray shaders per usual. Hit render, and the scene loads to my card (evga gtx970 and win 8.1 64 bit for ref) and it seems to stall out. First time this has happened to me thus far, but also my first instance use with Iray... meh??

Add: Also when canceling the render for said stall/hang, daz stalls along with it and needs to be closed via task manager or the 'program not responding' window.

Post edited by SuperBoomTurbo on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if instancing is supported with the Iray renderer? I see the usual studio options and the optimization in the render settings for Iray, but just tried a fairly mild scene with an Instanced car and set the Iray shaders per usual. Hit render, and the scene loads to my card (evga gtx970 and win 8.1 64 bit for ref) and it seems to stall out. First time this has happened to me thus far, but also my first instance use with Iray... meh??

Add: Also when canceling the render for said stall/hang, daz stalls along with it and needs to be closed via task manager or the 'program not responding' window.

I had a similar problem. In the render optimisation options there is an instancing parameter. When I changed it from memory to speed it fixed the problem.

I'm doing a render at the moment so I can't post a screen shot but if you're still having problems let me know and I'll post one.

Cheers,

Alex.

edited December 1969

Thanks Alex. Was just about to try that but I pulled the instance out first to make sure it wasn't something else. Worked fine, so back to the T&E =D

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited April 2015

...been working with The Old Railway in which the track sections are instanced. Renders fine in Memory mode.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...been working with The Old Railway in which the track sections are instanced. Renders fine in Memory mode.

How does instancing work?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited April 2015

...you can create instances of any item (even a character) by going to the Create menu and using wither Create Node Instance (for one) or Create Node Instances (which can be one to as many as your computer can handle).

It comes in handy when you need a number repetitive items in a scene. For example, in one scene I created over 200 instances of a single bubble. Keep in mind though each instance is an exact copy of the primary item. So, if you change an attribute on the main prop, like a texture or pose, all the instances will get the exact same treatment.

There is a plugin called Send In the Clones Pro DS4 which is more flexible in that you can texture, pose, or modify each clone (including characters) separately.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...you can create instances of any item (even a character) by going to the Create menu and using wither Create Node Instance (for one) or Create Node Instances (which can be one to as many as your computer can handle).

It comes in handy when you need a number repetitive items in a scene. For example, in one scene I created over 200 instances of a single bubble. Keep in mind though each instance is an exact copy of the primary item. So, if you change an attribute on the main prop, like a texture or pose, all the instances will get the exact same treatment.

There is a plugin called Send In the Clones Pro DS4 which is more flexible in that you can texture, pose, or modify each clone (including characters) separately.

Yep, what he said :) If you want the technical shortcut, essentially it's a geometry shell of the original object/asset with the same textures. You can do figures, props, etc. Really great for populating spaces, like stores with repetitive products, care lots, crowds of people (multiple copies of multiple people) or dare I say, zombies. It takes up some memory but very little compared to a full G1 or G2 figure.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

I did a scene with a "real" Guildhall and an instanced copy and it rendered fine with memory optimisation. When I tried a scene with a "real" Cambridge Bridge of Sighs and two instanced copies that seemed to cross a line. When I tried to render it, Iray sat and twiddled its thumbs for half an hour and did nothing. It never reported a single iteration. When I rendered the same scene with speed optimisation, it rendered fine.

Whether or not you have problems with rendering instances using memory optimsation seems to depend on the complexity of the scene. Rendering on a four core I5 with 16gb may also have been a factor

Cheers,

Alex.

• StephjaStephja Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hi Jennyver,
    I hope this helps you and is related to your issue.
    I found that when using a skybox that the only way to keep the scene lit with the skybox showing was to apply the skybox image file to both "Emission Color" & "Cutout Opacity" fields. (make sure the the cutout opacity is 1.00).
    Regards,
    Steph

Jennyver said:
    Strange, i have another Error with the rendering.

Lighs: Skydome (emission Temp. 4800K)
    Rendersettings: Quality 1, Caustic Sampler active,Instancing Opt. Speed

The same sometimes with the Architectual Sampler

Without cause jumps the Convergence to the Limit and the Render is finished. The result is suddenly dark...

Here the Part of the Log File
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Using built-in ray tracing.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Geometry import (1 object with 1368K triangles, 1 instance yielding 1368K triangles) took 1.914397
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating materials.
    Iray INFO - module:category(MATCNV:RENDER): 1.0 MATCNV rend info : found 569 textures, 0 lambdas
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating environment.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating lights.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating object flags.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating caustic portals.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating decals.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Using batch scheduling, architectural sampler enabled, caustic sampler disabled
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Initializing local rendering.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Rendering with 2 device(s):
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970)
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : CPU (7 threads)
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Rendering...
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : CPU (7 threads): Scene processed in 19.901s
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.8 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Scene processed in 19.917s
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.8 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Allocated 117 MB for frame buffer
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : CPU (7 threads): Allocated 117 MB for frame buffer
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.8 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Device optimized for interactive usage; performance could be sacrificed
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00001 iterations after 21.347s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00704 iterations after 1068.795s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Execute device timeout
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.69 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00730 iterations after 1071.387s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00731 iterations after 1071.505s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00796 iterations after 1071.728s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00917 iterations after 1071.840s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 01102 iterations after 1074.836s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 01103 iterations after 1076.313s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 08230 iterations after 1076.384s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Convergence threshold reached.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Maximum number of samples reached.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Device statistics:
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): 8028 iterations, 19.954s init, 1057.875s render
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : CPU (7 threads): 202 iterations, 19.960s init, 1054.966s render
    Saved image: C:\Users\Twilight\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build\temp\render\r.png
    Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 18 minutes 3.83 seconds

skybox.JPG
    493 x 499 - 50K
  • edited December 1969

Guys, I simply cannot get 4.8 to show up in my Install Manager; can someone please help?

I've checked "display hidden" and Public build.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Guys, I simply cannot get 4.8 to show up in my Install Manager; can someone please help?

I've checked "display hidden" and Public build.

Do you also have 'Software' checked, it wont show without that too.