Why are Genesis 9 characters so small?

I know that previous Genesis females were too tall, looking at you, Victoria 8. But all of the Genesis 9 characters are small. Even the males like the new Casey.  Why?

Comments

• MadaMada Posts: 1,855

To expand a bit more on that link - the proportion dials are specifically designed to make the figure taller or shorter - but keeping the proportions in line - heads don't shrink or enlarge like it does with a scale dial.

So using Casey with one of those dials means you can turn him into a tall character, or a short one - and the proportions will be valid.... and without all the problems in previous generations that then occured with the clothing.

Screenshot 2022-11-25 090120.jpg
    443 x 187 - 20K
  • Richard Haseltine said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7814746/#Comment_7814746

But the props before Genesis 9 were scaled for the taller older generations: buildings, vehicles, and so on.

Another issue is when you combine generations - a lot of scaling going on.

• Ideally props should be made to scale not sized to fit a figure - most modellers allow modelling in real world units.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,855
    edited November 2022

Vongoid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

But the props before Genesis 9 were scaled for the taller older generations: buildings, vehicles, and so on.

You can dial the proportion dial on Genesis 9 to be the same height as Genesis 8 - you only have to do it once per figure.

If you find you have to do it for every G9 character I would recommend scaling your character and then saving a morph preset that dials it to that size in one click :)

Post edited by Mada on
  • I think it's because so many people render them at whatever size they load into DAZ Studio at; the attached image has a couple of G8 Females and a Genesis 9 figure. I'll leave it up to you to decide which is which.

Nitta 2.0 G9 G8F size comparison.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

hmmm,that's odd.

My G9's aren't loading as children.

Are you sure you don't have a child morph dialed in?

The measuring rods in my screencap are 1.524 meters(5 feet US) tall.

If that is supposed to be an adult character then I would agree, something is wrong.

Screencap005.jpg
    3834 x 2092 - 604K
  • Vongoid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Prop scales in the Daz store all all over the charts. I've returned plenty of purchased sets due to the scales being out of whack. Not a new thing for G9.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,442

Mada said:

To expand a bit more on that link - the proportion dials are specifically designed to make the figure taller or shorter - but keeping the proportions in line - heads don't shrink or enlarge like it does with a scale dial.

So using Casey with one of those dials means you can turn him into a tall character, or a short one - and the proportions will be valid.... and without all the problems in previous generations that then occured with the clothing.

If I understand correctly the solution would be simple then. That is, "unmorph" Casey to G9 base then apply the clothing then "morph back" to Casey. I mean this way you can have figures with any height you don't need to make them all the same height. And this procedure can be automated in the fit tool so daz studio can do it for the user.

• My impression was, that they are finally not that tall. Till now every default DAZ female has been taller than 1,80 meters. This time G9 is about an actuall average female size with average proportions.

• RangerRickRangerRick Posts: 256
    edited November 2022

And I'm hoping we see more grown-up figures between 5'3" and 5'7" in the store.  Bonus points if they're not all skinny with fair skin.

ETA:  Hmm.  I was thinking of female characters.  The guys tend to be very athletic so I guess for them more average build, not so defined, characters.

Post edited by RangerRick on
  • Genesis 9 is not really smaller per se, just real world average.  G9 is at the average female height of about 5'7".  G8F was 5' 10 & 1/2 inches and G8M is 5; 11 & 1/4".  Victoria 8 was 6' 1"  I have noticed tha twith the body morph sioze sliders you can make dwarves and faries to Giants with ease.  To get a 6 foot tall G9 male, try 107 to 109% on the scale slider.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

Masterstroke said:

My impression was, that they are finally not that tall. Till now every default DAZ female has been taller than 1,80 meters. This time G9 is about an actuall average female size with average proportions.

They're still tall, just not abnormally tall.  In the US average height for a woman is 5'4", and most countries it's less.  5'7' is tall.  6' tall women are rare.

It's a very welcome change in the right direction.  I wish they took the 5'4" average (as a worldwide average would be a little less).  Once you scale your women in your scenes to an average, the poses where there is any interactivity (like sitting on a chair) would require significant adjustment.

• PerttiA said:

Handy tool for checking the height;

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/425355/#Comment_425355

Thank you, thank you, thank you.