DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK had my first "crash".

I say that loosely for what actually happened was the application went into "non responding" mode for over 30 min after I attempted to cancel a render I let run overnight. Had to kill the process in Windows Task Manager.

Oh and again, Is there any way to save the render settings pane to a size that is useful? I still have to resize it every time I open the application as it is just this tiny little square.

Dock it and save the layout?

Here's mine:

...tried to do that but it put it at the top of the pane on the right side squishing everything down instead of as a tab alongside like the Surfaces and Camera tabs are positioned. Never had much luck docking panes as I couldn't get them to go where I wanted.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Vaskania said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK had my first "crash".

I say that loosely for what actually happened was the application went into "non responding" mode for over 30 min after I attempted to cancel a render I let run overnight. Had to kill the process in Windows Task Manager.

Oh and again, Is there any way to save the render settings pane to a size that is useful? I still have to resize it every time I open the application as it is just this tiny little square.

Dock it and save the layout?

Here's mine:

...tried to do that but it put it at the top of the pane on the right side squishing everything down instead of as a tab alongside like the Surfaces and Camera tabs are positioned. Never had much luck docking panes as I couldn't get them to go where I wanted.

It took me a while to figure it out, too. Drag the tab into the midst of the other tabs where you want to dock the pane. Once docked, you can drag the tab up and down to place it where it makes the most sense for you.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

At some point in the last hour and a half while I was away from the computer, the DS 4.8 Public Beta (and associated plugins) has re-reappeared as a product update in the Ready to Download part of DIM. But it appears to be the same (same package date) as the one I've already downloaded and installed some days ago, as listed in the Installed pane of DIM.

Is this some error? Or has there been a new version just released that is labelled wrong for the package date?

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

An updated version (4.8.0.9) is in the process of being posted...

-Rob

edited December 1969

OK, thanks.

Should I wait until it is showing a different package date in DIM?

As a side note, it would be nice if the DIM info popup showed version numbers, where applicable.

• NW316NW316 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

I've downloaded and installed the 4.8 Studio Beta, however when rendering in IRAY I only get a blank screen. The documentations so far show only menu items but no training on how to use the renderer. Is there a tutorial or doc to view on controlling the IRAY renderer?

edited December 1969

Ah - I've just noticed that the package date shown by the one I've already downloaded and installed is the 12th but I installed it on the 10th. So it's the package date on the old version that's wrong, and the update is probably right, then.

Appears to be a bug in DIM or something, showing the new package date on the old package.

Again, showing the version number would be handy.

• DrPingyDrPingy Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

new316 said:
    I've downloaded and installed the 4.8 Studio Beta, however when rendering in IRAY I only get a blank screen. The documentations so far show only menu items but no training on how to use the renderer. Is there a tutorial or doc to view on controlling the IRAY renderer?

In this very long thread somewhere is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FZ5gS9v50&feature=youtu.be

Very good!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,735
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Cypherfox said:
    A lot of 'interiors' in the store are actually only partially closed.

Not mine. I always build my interior products with 4 walls, ceiling and floor, all separate, all double-sided, and all can be switched on/off.

I discovered the benefits of this early on with Iray when I tried rendering an old promo shot. In the original 3Delight promo, I had one wall switched off to allow the camera to see in. In the Iray render, I got HUGE light leakage from the missing wall. Because of course, the light bounces in Iray. Once I switched the wall on and adjusted the camera, it was fine.

mac

You could also use Create>New Iray Section Pane Node to create cutter that will hide part of the model from the direct camera view, so you can see into the room, without letting light in.

• gbmorphsgbmorphs Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Someone has probably already asked this, but I don’t seem to be able to find it so I will ask again. First I am VERY excited by Daz3d 4.8! Love the fact they have gotten a new rendering engine to join with 3Delight. However, in preperatino for the 4.8 release I am thinking about upgrading my video card. I have an old 470. I am thinking about getting either a 980 GTX or 2 970 GTX in SLI. Can anyone advise on how IRay treats SLI configured systems vs Single card installations. Also, does Iray recognize the memory from both cards (7.5 to 8 GB depending on who you talk to) as one memory space in SLI format. Similarly I assume the SLI configuration allows the cards to share both CUDA core resources as one.

I can do 2 970 GTx for $700 with double the memory and 50+ % more Cuda cores.versus the 980 gtx.

Lastly, can any one answer if Daz is going to have a rendering queuing system in place. I would love to queue up 5-10 renders, go to sleep or to work and come back to 10 renders completed.

Thank in advance for any answers anyone provides.

• ScotsprincessScotsprincess Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I've been doing some comparison renders between the new 3delight and Iray. Some people were wondering about the UE lights working. I did the following two renders with no Iray shaders and only a spotlight, distant light and UE light. As you can see, the light works but the Historical Masonary shaders do not (in photoreal).

Tavern_Visit_3_photo.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 784K
    Tavern_Visit2.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 869K
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited March 2015

gbmorphs said:
    Someone has probably already asked this, but I don’t seem to be able to find it so I will ask again. First I am VERY excited by Daz3d 4.8! Love the fact they have gotten a new rendering engine to join with 3Delight. However, in preperatino for the 4.8 release I am thinking about upgrading my video card. I have an old 470. I am thinking about getting either a 980 GTX or 2 970 GTX in SLI. Can anyone advise on how IRay treats SLI configured systems vs Single card installations. Also, does Iray recognize the memory from both cards (7.5 to 8 GB depending on who you talk to) as one memory space in SLI format. Similarly I assume the SLI configuration allows the cards to share both CUDA core resources as one.

I can do 2 970 GTx for $700 with double the memory and 50+ % more Cuda cores.versus the 980 gtx.

Lastly, can any one answer if Daz is going to have a rendering queuing system in place. I would love to queue up 5-10 renders, go to sleep or to work and come back to 10 renders completed.

Note the amount of RAM is per card. So having 2x970 cards will allow a scene up to 4GB to be rendered on the each card. A Single 980 card will do the same. At that point what you are comparing is number of cores and speed.

Note the Titan-X was just officially released at NVIDIA's Annual Global Technology Conference.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited March 2015

ACross said:
    Any idea how long 'til DAZ releases the public build?

dimeolas said:
    when is this out?

darn, only showing 7, must not be available for me :(

They just recently released the beta, it could be months.

But why wait? You can install the beta and it goes into a new directory. You can play in the beta, and still use 4.7 for production work.

I don't use DIM and I don't like betas. I like what I've seen so far, but I can wait for a stable public release.

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Hi, just ran DIM for a purchase, and there is a new version of 4.8 there, I have installed it, what are the differences between 4.8.0.4 and 4.8.0.9? cheers :)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    edited December 1969

gbmorphs said:

NVidia recommends against using SLI for IRay. Each card is treated separately. - so two cards at 4 GB each, independently working on the scene.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited March 2015

DavidGB said:
    Ah - I've just noticed that the package date shown by the one I've already downloaded and installed is the 12th but I installed it on the 10th. So it's the package date on the old version that's wrong, and the update is probably right, then.

Appears to be a bug in DIM or something, showing the new package date on the old package.

Again, showing the version number would be handy.

Good eyeballs. Installing now.

+1 for version #s in DIM.

/edit
    Holy quick launch. I swear this version of the beta just opened A LOT faster than the previous.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • DimeolasDimeolas Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

Thanks, will go have a look :)

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Another remake from an old favorite.

I have a Photometric Point light exactly on top the scene pointing down to Victoria with an IES profile. Curiously the shadows are very hard. To get a soft shadow effect I changed the Point light geometry to a 100 X 100 rectangle. You can see the difference below. A geometry for a Point light does not make sense, but as I am unable to attach an IES to a Spot, so that change made the trick.

Some questions arrived when testing Iray:

1) Shadow controls in Photometric Lights seems have no effect at all. If is it the case, they must be hide?
    2) When using a Photometric Spotlight with Cylinder geometry, the Cylinder just draw in wrong position transversal to the light and blocking the light.
    3) When plug-in an IES profile to a Photometric Point Light you need rotate it by -90 degree to get it pointing down. It does make more sense attach an IES profile to the Photometric Spotlight? This will allow to direct the light using the light camera preview.
    4) I read somewhere that 3Delight applies a 3 level SubD when rendering HD geometry. I really don't know if this statement is correct. Anyway, when rendering with Iray should I set the Render SubD level to any number?

AnneRetroSwimsuitIray-01r02.png
    692 x 900 - 871K
    AnneRetroSwimsuitIray-01r01.png
    692 x 900 - 794K
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    As you can see, the light works but the Historical Masonary shaders do not (in photoreal).

This is something we're all going to have to watch out for. Those Historical Masonry shaders might look great (just installed the first set myself) but — they're custom 3Delight shaders. They won't ever work in Iray, and nothing short of a total rebuild to take advantage of native Iray features will make them work.

Come to think of it, an awful lot of things made for D|S these days don't use the default shader at all. UberSurface, HSS, AoA SSS... how well do these common shaders convert automatically?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

I've had good luck with SSS in general. The Gummy/plastic shaders seem to do ok, at least.

• MelMaverickMelMaverick Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Greetings Daz Community!

First off, a million thanks to all the talented guys and gals who take the time to share their knowledge and make video tutorials to help out those of us who are "computer-challenged". I've been able to solve a lot of problems just by perusing these forums. Unfortunately, I've run across something that has me pulling out my hair.

After installing the 4.8 beta, the content and new render options for 3Delight are showing up, but i-ray is not appearing in the drop-down menu for render engines. Is it possible that my ancient computer is so outdated that Install Manager can't load it? I have a seven year-old HP-Pavilion model a6200t with Windows Vista, and my graphics card/driver is GE Force 8400 GS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• gbmorphsgbmorphs Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

gbmorphs said:

Note the amount of RAM is per card. So having 2x970 cards will allow a scene up to 4GB to be rendered on the each card. A Single 980 card will do the same. At that point what you are comparing is number of cores and speed.

Note the Titan-X was just officially released at NVIDIA's Annual Global Technology Conference.

OK.. so two cards with 4 GB of DDR5 RAM means that the scene is still just limited to 4 GB and not 8. Ahh good to know. I still like the idea of having that many CUDA cores for two 970 for just over a 100 bucks more than a single 980. I also found out that the SLI means nothing to Iray, which is fine. I would use it more for for rendering than high frame rate game play.

I saw the new Titan-X... but that is going to be a grand, but then again it has 12 GB of DDR5 RAM. Arrggghhhh! Decisions!

I did find a couple good articles for people who are interested in seeing how Iray and cards work out for rending. Check out these two links.

http://www.migenius.com/products/nvidia-iray/iray-benchmarks-2014-5

http://blog.boxxtech.com/2014/11/17/geforce-gtx-rendering-benchmarks-and-comparisons/

Both of them game a lots of good information AND something to think about.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

edited March 2015

Greetings Daz Community!

First off, a million thanks to all the talented guys and gals who take the time to share their knowledge and make video tutorials to help out those of us who are "computer-challenged". I've been able to solve a lot of problems just by perusing these forums. Unfortunately, I've run across something that has me pulling out my hair.

After installing the 4.8 beta, the content and new render options for 3Delight are showing up, but i-ray is not appearing in the drop-down menu for render engines. Is it possible that my ancient computer is so outdated that Install Manager can't load it? I have a seven year-old HP-Pavilion model a6200t with Windows Vista, and my graphics card/driver is GE Force 8400 GS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iray requires a 64-bit operating system.

If your computer has that, if may be you didn't download and install all three files. Or they were installed in the wrong order. If all three files are installed, try uninstalling all three and then reinstalling starting with the main DAZ Studio 4.8 Public Build Beta file. Once that is installed, go ahead and install the other two.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited December 1969

I'm seeing additional files for the Beta in my DIM: One is for Figure Metrics, the other the Photoshop 3D bridge. Should I be installing those as well? Or leave well enough alone?

edited December 1969

ACross said:
    I'm seeing additional files for the Beta in my DIM: One is for Figure Metrics, the other the Photoshop 3D bridge. Should I be installing those as well? Or leave well enough alone?

New versions of DS generally need matching new versions of plugins (or at least DAZ supply them whether they are really needed or not). So expect to see those plugins (and others like Dynamic Clothing Control if you have that) appear alongside each new version of DS (whether production DS or a Beta). Just always install the plugins that appear alongside a new DS version when you install the new version - but install the main DS first, then the plugins.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

UberSurface, HSS, AoA SSS… how well do these common shaders convert automatically?

All of those load properly for the most part as does LIE. Some of them will need surface tweaking though.

• MelMaverickMelMaverick Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

If your computer has that, if may be you didn't download and install all three files. Or they were installed in the wrong order. If all three files are installed, try uninstalling all three and then reinstalling starting with the main DAZ Studio 4.8 Public Build Beta file. Once that is installed, go ahead and install the other two.

ACross,

Thanks for the quick reply. My system is only 32-bit. I had a feeling the answer was going to be something simple. I'm planning to buy a new computer in June. Is it possible to get a rig that will handle Daz smoothly for around $5,000 or less? The computer I have now has been a good machine, but it's been a nightmare running Bryce and Daz on it.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    ACross said:

New versions of DS generally need matching new versions of plugins (or at least DAZ supply them whether they are really needed or not). So expect to see those plugins (and others like Dynamic Clothing Control if you have that) appear alongside each new version of DS (whether production DS or a Beta). Just always install the plugins that appear alongside a new DS version when you install the new version - but install the main DS first, then the plugins.
    Thank you. :)

edited December 1969

ACross,

Thanks for the quick reply. My system is only 32-bit. I had a feeling the answer was going to be something simple. I'm planning to buy a new computer in June. Is it possible to get a rig that will handle Daz smoothly for around $5,000 or less? The computer I have now has been a good machine, but it's been a nightmare running Bryce and Daz on it.

I'm probably not the best person to answer this question, but I'll forge ahead anyway. :)

I'm running both DS 4.7 and DS 4.8 Beta on an off-the-shelf HP Envy with integrated graphics. Only 16GB of RAM, too. That said, renders can be slow. Especially with Iray. But the computer can handle it. Here are the specs:

HP Envy 700-327c
    Intel i7-4770 3.40GHz
    16GB RAM (Maximum for this motherboard)
    Win7Pro x64 OS
    Integrated Intel HD Graphics (Set to "Quality" for 3D)
    Power Supply: Internal 300W (100V-240V)
    (One PCI Express x16 slot (Gen 3.0) for upgrading video card)

DAZ is talking to Nvidia about getting DAZ customers a break on Nvidia cards. Details haven't been disclosed, and it may not happen. But you have plenty of time to wait them out.

And if you have $5K to invest, you will end up with a very nice, and fast, system. Just be sure and get advice from the great guys and gals here on what exactly you need. I know I will when the time comes to upgrade my computer.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

New thread, new version - 4.8.0.9

-Rob