DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:
    A lot of 'interiors' in the store are actually only partially closed. For example, I was trying to light an attic, and I discovered that one of the walls was missing, so the environment dome was lighting from the skylight above AND the HUGE GAPING HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE ATTIC. X_x I shoved another instance of the attic up against itself, blocking off that wall, and my lighting was a thousand times more predictable. :)

I had a problem like that (with an attic too) with 3delight (Lights outside to shine through the window) and a missing front ...
    I fixed it by plonking down a flat cube primitive as a wall - (in Iray you probably would have to paint the surface something similar to your other walls or the bouncing lights look different).
    One other tip. Make sure the walls/floor/ceiling go into the cube. It prevents light leakage/bright corners. The same is true of a 2 sided glass and liquid in it.

edited March 2015

Vaskania said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Thanks, that settles that then. I'll be looking for a card with DDR5 for sure then. Glad that you saw my post! :-)

Gedd said:
    RAMWolff said:

Did the search for "nvidia gt 4gb" but the ddr is 3 not 5 on most of the cards I looked at. Kinda want the newest and fastest bang for my buck. Not sure what the ddr5 is about as ddr3 is pretty new compared to ddr2....

Don't mix up GDDR (graphics DDR) with standard DDR used in main memory. They are totally different beasts. Unlike desktop DDR where there is little difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for most people, there is a very noticeable difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5. Tom's Hardware has some good benchmark charts of different cards where you can compare. If you do a google search on GDDR3 vs GDDR5 you should get some pretty definitive information/comparisons.

You could sell some organs on the black market and go with this..
    http://www.amazon.com/Quadro-K6000-Processing-900-52081-0050-000-699-52081-0500-200/dp/B00FZZHNZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426581032&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+k6000

lol :DI have one of those in my primary test machine. It is a beast. There are 8 of those in a VCA.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:
    A lot of 'interiors' in the store are actually only partially closed. For example, I was trying to light an attic, and I discovered that one of the walls was missing, so the environment dome was lighting from the skylight above AND the HUGE GAPING HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE ATTIC. X_x I shoved another instance of the attic up against itself, blocking off that wall, and my lighting was a thousand times more predictable. :)

I had a problem like that (with an attic too) with 3delight (Lights outside to shine through the window) and a missing front ...
    I fixed it by plonking down a flat cube primitive as a wall - (in Iray you probably would have to paint the surface something similar to your other walls or the bouncing lights look different).

One other tip. Make sure the walls/floor/ceiling go into the cube. It prevents light leakage/bright corners. The same is true of a 2 sided glass and liquid in it.

Sounds nice - but how would I get the light from "outside" to shine through the Window in the roof of the attic?
    You said something about there being no portals, at the moment anyway?

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Sounds nice - but how would I get the light from "outside" to shine through the Window in the roof of the attic?

If the window is set to glass or another transparent material, the light will get through into the attic. No problem. The portals would just make it more efficient by telling the render engine where the light gets in and therefore it does not have to bounce millions of light rays of the outside walls...
    TD

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:

You said something about there being no portals, at the moment anyway?Make sure the windows do use Iray Glass for the shader. Likely thin walled glass.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Thanks, that settles that then. I'll be looking for a card with DDR5 for sure then. Glad that you saw my post! :-)

Gedd said:
    RAMWolff said:

Did the search for "nvidia gt 4gb" but the ddr is 3 not 5 on most of the cards I looked at. Kinda want the newest and fastest bang for my buck. Not sure what the ddr5 is about as ddr3 is pretty new compared to ddr2....

Don't mix up GDDR (graphics DDR) with standard DDR used in main memory. They are totally different beasts. Unlike desktop DDR where there is little difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for most people, there is a very noticeable difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5. Tom's Hardware has some good benchmark charts of different cards where you can compare. If you do a google search on GDDR3 vs GDDR5 you should get some pretty definitive information/comparisons.

http://www.amazon.com/Quadro-K6000-Processing-900-52081-0050-000-699-52081-0500-200/dp/B00FZZHNZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426581032&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+k6000

lol :DI have one of those in my primary test machine. It is a beast. There are 8 of those in a VCA.
    :gulp:

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:

You said something about there being no portals, at the moment anyway?Make sure the windows do use Iray Glass for the shader. Likely thin walled glass.

But ... if I have a cube all around my attic to get no stray lights - how do I get the light to shine through that?
    I am blonde ... sorry, I really don't understand.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:

But ... if I have a cube all around my attic to get no stray lights - how do I get the light to shine through that?

The cube doesn't engulf the whole attic, it is only used as a wall to close off the open end of the model...
    TD

edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:

Make sure the windows do use Iray Glass for the shader. Likely thin walled glass.

The cube doesn't engulf the whole attic, it is only used as a wall to close off the open end of the model...
    TDCorrect. Just make sure you actually have the cube placed so the ends of the walls ceiling and floor go into the cube, not very far, but into the cube. For Global illumination you don't want just against, as that causes light to leak through.

edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:

Make sure the windows do use Iray Glass for the shader. Likely thin walled glass.

TDCorrect. Just make sure you actually have the cube placed so the ends of the walls ceiling and floor go into the cube, not very far, but into the cube. For Global illumination you don't want just against, as that causes light to leak through.

Noooow! Thank you!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

I really don't think anyone would want my organs hon! lol

Vaskania said:
    RAMWolff said:

Gedd said:
    RAMWolff said:

lol :D

edited March 2015

I posted this in another thread where I found out about this feature, but figured I'd post it here too since this is the actual beta thread.

When saving a materials preset selecting values only and ignoring the maps (I uncheck > all and then check only > values), the image_library references are still saved (unintended?). They don't get applied when actually using the preset, however (intended).

See my screenshot- this is a 'no maps' version of the G2F Iray preset I saved out. It works perfect, but the references are still there.

Easy enough to remove if you know where the section starts and stops (in my case it's easier just to toggle single line comment and erase the whole shebang).

materials_nomaps_references.png
    1074 x 1050 - 98K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Was worth a shot. For science? :P lol

RAMWolff said:
    I really don't think anyone would want my organs hon! lol

Vaskania said:
    RAMWolff said:

Gedd said:
    RAMWolff said:

lol :D

• ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

What about compatibility with Reality and Lux Render?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Choronzon said:

Iray won't cause any conflict and unless something in Studio gets changed there should be no problem there
    I had no problem myself
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    A lot of 'interiors' in the store are actually only partially closed.

Not mine. I always build my interior products with 4 walls, ceiling and floor, all separate, all double-sided, and all can be switched on/off.

I discovered the benefits of this early on with Iray when I tried rendering an old promo shot. In the original 3Delight promo, I had one wall switched off to allow the camera to see in. In the Iray render, I got HUGE light leakage from the missing wall. Because of course, the light bounces in Iray. Once I switched the wall on and adjusted the camera, it was fine.

mac

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Choronzon said:
    This is not incompatible, but it is not compatible. It is orthogonal.

So, for example, emitters aren't compatible among Luxus, Reality and Iray, but each can have emitters in the scene.

Material settings aren't compatible; so Iray won't pick up Luxus material settings, and nothing's compatible with Reality, which keeps its material settings in a completely different place.

But there appears to be nothing in Iray which makes DAZ Studio incompatible with Luxus or Reality, or any other external renderer.

-- Morgan

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    RAMWolff said:

Gedd said:
    RAMWolff said:

...however as I understand, for rendering VRAM does not stack so a scene would still have to fit in 12GB (the other 84 GB would not come into play). Seems like it would have made more sense to use Tesla compute units to get the extra CUDA cores and number crunching needed for speed and accuracy.

edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    NeilV 1 said:
    Finally finish the HDR render (52 min to render on CPU)

...did you use a spotlight or the Iray Sun as the shadow looks very sharp?

it was done using a UE light and a distance light I have just redone turning "Ground Shadow Intensity" down to 0.60 (under Environments on the render settings and now it looks a lot better
    ...so you are not using any of the Iray lights then? I thought the normal Daz and UE lights didn't work in Iray as they don't involve "real world" physics..

edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:

TD
    ...couldn't you just use a plane as the "wall" instead of a cube?

edited March 2015

...OK had my first "crash".

I say that loosely for what actually happened was the application went into "non responding" mode for over 30 min after I attempted to cancel a render I let run overnight. Had to kill the process in Windows Task Manager.

Oh and again, Is there any way to save the render settings pane to a size that is useful? I still have to resize it every time I open the application as it is just this tiny little square.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK had my first "crash".

I say that loosely for what actually happened was the application went into "non responding" mode for over 30 min after I attempted to cancel a render I let run overnight. Had to kill the process in Windows Task Manager.

Oh and again, Is there any way to save the render settings pane to a size that is useful? I still have to resize it every time I open the application as it is just this tiny little square.

Dock it and save the layout?

Here's mine:

docked_render_settings.png
    528 x 1050 - 96K
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

That's what I do, and your layout inspired me to place my tabs there. I do keep minimising the pane by mistake when I try and click a tab though.

CHEERS!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

I'm continually amazed by how good some materials look with NO effort or conversion. Wow.

I'm rendering a scene using some 'welcome to the Asylum' architecture, and... the floor looks exactly like linoleum without any conversion.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Any idea how long 'til DAZ releases the public build?

• DimeolasDimeolas Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

when is this out?

edited March 2015

dimeolas said:
    when is this out?

The beta is out now. You can download it through DIM. Only the 64bit version has the iRay renderer.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • IsazformsIsazforms Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

I really like this render. Only I have a problem. At first Iray was using 100 % of the processor ( amd fx 6). Now only uses 30 %. Now reinstall Daz and not repaired. Any idea why this happens ?

• DimeolasDimeolas Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    dimeolas said:
    when is this out?

The beta is out now. You can download it through DIM. Only the 64bit version has the iRay renderer.

darn, only showing 7, must not be available for me :(

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2015

Any idea how long 'til DAZ releases the public build?

dimeolas said:
    when is this out?

darn, only showing 7, must not be available for me :(

They just recently released the beta, it could be months.

But why wait? You can install the beta and it goes into a new directory. You can play in the beta, and still use 4.7 for production work.

If you've never installed a beta before, go here, http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta, and "purchase" it. Then go back to the product page and follow the instructions on how to install.

There are three files, and you need to install the main file first. Once the DAZ Studio 4.7 Public Build Beta is installed, go back and install the other two.

If you have any of Age of Armor's advanced lighting products, you will need to reinstall them. That is true for other products as well, I'm just not sure which ones. Basically, if something works in 4.7 but not in 4.8, use the DIM to uninstall and then reinstall. It should make it accessible.

4.8 includes both an improved version of 3Delight and Iray. And as you may have read, you don't need to have an Nvidia card to use Iray. The CPU may be slower, a lot slower, but the end result is the same.

:)

EDIT: As mentioned above, Iray only works on 64-bit systems. But 3Delight is improved, which could make it worth trying if you're on a 32-bit operating system.

Post edited by L'Adair on