DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited March 2015

Greetings,
    Oh wow. Hey, DAZ, any chance of exposing the output of separate render buffers? E.g. evidently Iray supports separate buffer output of diffuse, specular, glossy, emission, alpha, and depth(!), as well as a few more features that seem kind of awesome. (Object id / material id? Whoa...what can I do with that...? Create a scene that you can click on individual pixels and it can tell what object you're selecting? Point-and-click adventure games?!? Hidden-object games? I'm sure that's just the simplest things...)

Also, decals? Would this work as a LIE enhancement?

Also:

Efficient, internally optimized tone mapping, which can be adjusted interactively without re-starting the render.
    Also, apparently motion blur is supported in Iray as a simulation(?!)... I'd love this...

Also, a way to mark windows in our scene as light portals?

That can of worms y'all opened renders MIGHTY prettily... ;)

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited March 2015

NeilV 1 said:
    I am trying to use HDR ProSets Yosemite Pack Two which comes with its own sky dome and ground plane, I add the HDR image (which is in .tff format) to the environment area of the render settings I even ramped my ISO up to 1200 and still so luck
    All you want is the map. The HDR are blurred, the TIFF will do the same job without being blurred though not with the same light fidelity.

You do not want the dome it casts shadows.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Oh wow. Hey, DAZ, any chance of exposing the output of separate render buffers? E.g. evidently Iray supports separate buffer output of diffuse, specular, glossy, emission, alpha, and depth(!), as well as a few more features that seem kind of awesome. (Object id / material id? Whoa...what can I do with that...? Create a scene that you can click on individual pixels and it can tell what object you're selecting? Point-and-click adventure games?!? Hidden-object games? I'm sure that's just the simplest things...)

Also, decals? Would this work as a LIE enhancement?

Also:

Efficient, internally optimized tone mapping, which can be adjusted interactively without re-starting the render.
    Also, apparently motion blur is supported in Iray as a simulation(?!)... I'd love this...

Also, a way to mark windows in our scene as light portals?

That can of worms y'all opened renders MIGHTY prettily... ;)

-- Morgan

Light Path Expressions is implemented in this build.
    Decals work now. They are a new node.
    Material ID is so you can pick a selection set of materials. (In this build)

Portals are unlikely to make this release, (Though we have and are looking at it. )
    Tone Mapping on the fly, as well as resumption of renders, and filters on the fly are also being looked at. (No promises as to when, or even if that can be implemented.)

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

"as well as resumption of renders"

Yes, please!!

mac

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Vaskania said:
    maclean said:
    For anyone thinking of upgrading their graphics card.....

I got an Asus GTX970 4Gb today to replace my Asus GTX660Ti 2Gb

A render that previously took over 21 mins now takes 6mins 6 secs.

Not too bad!

mac

You should run them side by side if your motherboard and case can handle them both at once (not in sli). 2GB and 1344 more cores from the 660 should lower that time even more.

I've considered putting one of my previous GTX 460 Superclocked cards (I had 2 running in sli at one point) back in as a 2nd card, but it only has 1GB ram and less than 400 cores so it's not even worth it. Although it "may" pick up a bit of the slack seeing as my render card is also driving my monitors.

I'd like to, but my board (Asus P8Z77-V LX2) won't handle 2 cards. At least, I don't think it does.

Uh, wait - just checked the specs - "There are 2 PCIe x16 slots on this motherboard" Are those the card slots? Because it also says "Nvidia SLI is not supported". I know SLI is different, but I'm not techie enough to have ever bothered finding out what the difference is.

I need to google this and find out more.

mac

Edit - According to Kitguru "While the motherboard supports CrossFire configurations, the lower PCI-E x16 expansion slot is limited to x4 bandwidth. This is a perfectly acceptable design choice for an entry-level motherboard that is unlikely to see dual-card action."

Hmmm....

If this is your board http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/specifications/
    It will support two vid cards according this it supports crossfire which does you no good with Nvidia cards as thats AMDs equivalent but works similarly

edited December 1969

If this is your board http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/specifications/
    It will support two vid cards according this it supports crossfire which does you no good with Nvidia cards as thats AMDs equivalent but works similarly

I have the P8Z77-V LX2, which is a slightly later version (better heatsinks, etc.), but it's very similar.

I've been checking and it does support 2 cards, but the 2nd slot is PCIe x4, rather than PCIe x16. So it would be slower for a 2nd card, but probably still give a boost.

I'm not sure about going ahead. My other worry is heat, although where I live (6,000ft up in the Alps), heat isn't exactly a major concern. LOL.

When I rendered in Iray today, the max core temp was 67C, which doesn't seem too hot. I have a total of 7 fans in my box (Coolermaster), and it generally runs about 28C max.

mac

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...in CPU mode I'm running at around 63° with my test scene.

Rendering the same scene with 3DL was hitting 69°C

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,712
    edited December 1969

maclean said:

I have the P8Z77-V LX2, which is a slightly later version (better heatsinks, etc.), but it's very similar.

I've been checking and it does support 2 cards, but the 2nd slot is PCIe x4, rather than PCIe x16. So it would be slower for a 2nd card, but probably still give a boost.

I'm not sure about going ahead. My other worry is heat, although where I live (6,000ft up in the Alps), heat isn't exactly a major concern. LOL.

When I rendered in Iray today, the max core temp was 67C, which doesn't seem too hot. I have a total of 7 fans in my box (Coolermaster), and it generally runs about 28C max.

mac

From what has been said, you may be better off putting the old card in the main slot and using it purely for the display, then put the better card in the slower slot and use if just for rendering - the speed may well not matter that much, since most of the number crunching is internal; it just has to send the scenea cross to the card and get the renders back out.

• Bobeagle77Bobeagle77 Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

When will DAZ Studio Pro Iradium be out of the beta stages? I can't wait to test out the New Daz Studios. Renders are looking amazing.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

When will DAZ Studio Pro Iradium be out of the beta stages? I can't wait to test out the New Daz Studios. Renders are looking amazing.

Then don't wait - dive in! The beta is open to all.
    edited December 1969

From what has been said, you may be better off putting the old card in the main slot and using it purely for the display, then put the better card in the slower slot and use if just for rendering - the speed may well not matter that much, since most of the number crunching is internal; it just has to send the scenea cross to the card and get the renders back out.

Yes, that's an idea.

To be honest, I was thinking that for the few renders I do, the extra speed of a 2nd card might not be used that much. But the extra heat would be there all the time. I'll think it over, maybe try it out and see what the results are.

Thanks to all for the advice.

mac

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

I broke it!

I just submitted a bug report. Last night, working on my G2F figure's eyes, I managed to somehow mess up something with G2F so bad Materials will not show under the Surfaces tab Presets when any G2F figure is selected. Males work fine, as do Genesis and Victoria 4.2. (I was working with Project EYEris while testing my own settings for the eyes. I used Ctrl+Z to back out of my changes.)

Being a geek, the first thing I did was close the program and reopen it, then reload my scene. Still there. I poked around in the menus and found an option to set the default category, so I set it to Genesis 2, Female. Nope. That didn't fix it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the beta, and the problem is still there.

I closed the beta and opened 4.7... yep, the issue is now in my release version as well.

When I break something, I break it good!

Guess I'll just go work on my taxes while I wait for tech support to get back to me. Lucky me.

Or I could work with G2M for a while... See if I can break him, too! LOL

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,712
    edited December 1969

maclean said:

Yes, that's an idea.

To be honest, I was thinking that for the few renders I do, the extra speed of a 2nd card might not be used that much. But the extra heat would be there all the time. I'll think it over, maybe try it out and see what the results are.

Thanks to all for the advice.

mac

Of course if you use the lesser card for display you won't be able to preview in Iray, or it will be very slow.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Finally finish the HDR render (52 min to render on CPU)

HDRI.jpg
    800 x 600 - 436K
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited March 2015

Spooky, no more ideas as to why my renders are finishing so prematurely? It seems to be doing it for everything I render now. I raised the quality from 1 to 10 for the render below, and although it took eight times longer to render, there was no actual difference in quality. I will try the last scene (the interior) at quality 5 or so to see if it's any better later.

I also can't seem to get good results with skin specularity. Even adding a small amount (glossy layered weight 1.00, glossy reflectivity 0.041, glossy roughness 0.50) causes very bright back and edge highlights. No backscattering or SSS here, I still have no clue how to get them to work well.

legs274.png
    1269 x 1238 - 926K
    Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Did the search for "nvidia gt 4gb" but the ddr is 3 not 5 on most of the cards I looked at. Kinda want the newest and fastest bang for my buck. Not sure what the ddr5 is about as ddr3 is pretty new compared to ddr2....

Don't mix up GDDR (graphics DDR) with standard DDR used in main memory. They are totally different beasts. Unlike desktop DDR where there is little difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for most people, there is a very noticeable difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5. Tom's Hardware has some good benchmark charts of different cards where you can compare. If you do a google search on GDDR3 vs GDDR5 you should get some pretty definitive information/comparisons.

edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:

...did you use a spotlight or the Iray Sun as the shadow looks very sharp?
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Thanks, that settles that then. I'll be looking for a card with DDR5 for sure then. Glad that you saw my post! :-)

Gedd said:
    RAMWolff said:

Did the search for "nvidia gt 4gb" but the ddr is 3 not 5 on most of the cards I looked at. Kinda want the newest and fastest bang for my buck. Not sure what the ddr5 is about as ddr3 is pretty new compared to ddr2....

Don't mix up GDDR (graphics DDR) with standard DDR used in main memory. They are totally different beasts. Unlike desktop DDR where there is little difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for most people, there is a very noticeable difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5. Tom's Hardware has some good benchmark charts of different cards where you can compare. If you do a google search on GDDR3 vs GDDR5 you should get some pretty definitive information/comparisons.

edited March 2015

Totte said:
    Right, Mantle and Vulcan are realtime gaming APIs, which could be used for the OpenGL viewport, but it's not for "Photrealistic renderering". If you see something extremely cool in a game, you should keep in mind that it is most certainly prerendered and precalculated, even things like reflections and things like that are, as they are too time consuming to do fully in real time.

While this used to be true, it has changed recently. Take a look at the latest Unreal Engine and Unity engine.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited March 2015

Anyone having any luck on the skin set ups?

This is the best i can get ---

While that might not be what you are looking for in this instance, that is a very nice skin result. There is some discoloration/blotchiness, but under some lighting it would look like that. Try different lighting with the same skin and see what you get. And more specifically, what exactly are you trying to achieve that is different then the results you are getting?

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I can not for the life of me get a shader mixer set of blocks to work and generate Iray output.

Can someone show me a collection of bricks that generates something simple, say noise or even a checkerboard pattern onto a cube?

It's driving me batty... I want to write a custom MDL, but first I want to get a trivial set of bricks to render, so I know that anything after that is my fault, not a problem with how I've set up my bricks.

File | Input from Scene in Shader mixer doesn't seem to do anything when the renderer is set to Iray, for instance...so I can't even see a functioning sample... :(

-- Morgan

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    I can not for the life of me get a shader mixer set of blocks to work and generate Iray output.

Can someone show me a collection of bricks that generates something simple, say noise or even a checkerboard pattern onto a cube?

It's driving me batty... I want to write a custom MDL, but first I want to get a trivial set of bricks to render, so I know that anything after that is my fault, not a problem with how I've set up my bricks.

File | Input from Scene in Shader mixer doesn't seem to do anything when the renderer is set to Iray, for instance...so I can't even see a functioning sample... :(

-- Morgan

Create any primitive, select the Surface and Apply it, render.

brick.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 207K
  • didigitaldidigital Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

hello!
    I can't find Iray Shaders....

edited March 2015

...did you install them? They are a separate installer.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

didigital said:
    hello!
    I can't find Iray Shaders....

Assuming you installed all three files needed for the Beta, look for Shaders under the Surfaces tab, Presets. Click on the arrow to expand the list and you should see Iray, in bold, about half-way down.

If you don't see that, double-check DIM to make sure you installed 1) DAZ Studio 4.8 Public Build Beta, 2) Public Beta Iray Support Content and 3) Scene Builder for DAZ Studio Beta. If all three files are installed, it may be they were installed in the wrong order. The first file listed here needs to be installed first, then the other two. You may need to uninstall then reinstall in that order.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    A lot of 'interiors' in the store are actually only partially closed. For example, I was trying to light an attic, and I discovered that one of the walls was missing, so the environment dome was lighting from the skylight above AND the HUGE GAPING HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE ATTIC. X_x I shoved another instance of the attic up against itself, blocking off that wall, and my lighting was a thousand times more predictable. :)

I had a problem like that (with an attic too) with 3delight (Lights outside to shine through the window) and a missing front ...
    I fixed it by plonking down a flat cube primitive as a wall - (in Iray you probably would have to paint the surface something similar to your other walls or the bouncing lights look different).

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    "as well as resumption of renders"

Yes, please!!

mac

Please, me too!

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Thanks, that settles that then. I'll be looking for a card with DDR5 for sure then. Glad that you saw my post! :-)

Gedd said:
    RAMWolff said:

You could sell some organs on the black market and go with this..
    http://www.amazon.com/Quadro-K6000-Processing-900-52081-0050-000-699-52081-0500-200/dp/B00FZZHNZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426581032&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+k6000

lol :D

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    NeilV 1 said:

...did you use a spotlight or the Iray Sun as the shadow looks very sharp?

it was done using a UE light and a distance light I have just redone turning "Ground Shadow Intensity" down to 0.60 (under Environments on the render settings and now it looks a lot better

bike.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Spooky, no more ideas as to why my renders are finishing so prematurely? It seems to be doing it for everything I render now. I raised the quality from 1 to 10 for the render below, and although it took eight times longer to render, there was no actual difference in quality. I will try the last scene (the interior) at quality 5 or so to see if it's any better later.

I also can't seem to get good results with skin specularity. Even adding a small amount (glossy layered weight 1.00, glossy reflectivity 0.041, glossy roughness 0.50) causes very bright back and edge highlights. No backscattering or SSS here, I still have no clue how to get them to work well.

Unfortunately I don't have enough information. Can you please file a support ticket. If tech support can't help you, my team gets it. :) Please include an excerpt of your log that includes your hardware through the end of one of the renders that exits early and a screen shot of the progressive section of the render settings pane.