DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    ssllav said:
    This is a huge step forward. I'm about adding IRAY. BUT the nearest test showed that the small details are based on surface (bump map), such as veins and arteries will not work. Correct me if I'm wrong, or tell me how will it work?
    LuxRender have same problem.

IRay also can use displacements, you just have to make sure you turn on the subD levels for the displacement, or they will not show up.

Note that Normal maps should be absolute, so should cross between render engines better.

edited December 1969

Not sure where to file a bug report, didn't see anything stand out in the main post, and it's 5 am.

Setting up a render to render an Image Series and then decrementing and (trying to) re-increment the End range sets the value at max-0.0003. I.e I have 6 frames, the range becomes 0; 5.99979, essentially dropping the last frame.

I'm asking the same.... about reporting a bug.... But I can't find any thread for it so I just post a new one

Bug Tracker link is in first post of the first page, but posting here, too.

Thanks! But the link is leading me to a normal bug report which dont even have 4.8 beta for the application selection *face palm*
    Which application should I choose then4.7 is fine. It will get to the correct place. :)

• oomuoomu Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

Damsel said:
    The problem was, I couldn't STOP THE RENDER WITHOUT CANCELING IT. Now, Lux saves the render as you go, so that's not usually a problem, except of course, Daz doesn't save automatically, so I lost my pretty render. I wasn't too broken up over it, since it was only a guy against a background, more a test than anything else.

The question I have is this: what is the suggested quality for a GOOD render? I know you can jack the number of samples, but then it has a thing for the length of time in seconds. Fark if I know how long 50,000 seconds is. I could work it out mathematically, but me hates mathes.

Point is, if I say I want a render with 6,000 samples, and I have the max render time of 6,000 seconds, and it hits 6,000 seconds before it hits the render quality I've set, will it stop? What's a good time limit? What's the best number of samples? It's 2,000 for a Lux render, but this is obviously not the same, as a grainy render is 4,000. I know the Barefoot Dancer has a set of settings, but Smart Content says it can't find it. Betaness, I guess.

Also, I have a fairly good compy-- 34 gigs of RAM, 7 cores, GeForce GTX 660 TI graphics card. And it was wheezing. Literally. Wheezing. It's got seven fans, and every one of them was running like mad. I had it built a couple of years ago so I could do graphics. Anyhow, my kid says the motherboard is probably getting ready to die. I may do an upgrade. Probably not more ram--I have enough of that--but maybe another graphics card or two, if I can get them into the box and COOL the damned things. Anyway, explain the graphics card thing. How are some of you guys running three graphics cards without cooking your computer like an egg?

first, there is no "good quality" settings. It will depend of your scene and goal. I would suggest to put huge number for max sample and a lot of second (for example 20 hours or more).

It will stop when one of these numbers is attained FIRST.

you can cancel AND save the render, you need to cancel the HISTORY rendering window, NOT the preview window. It's the tiny dialog box attached to the main DAZ Studio window. just cancel there. You will still have your preview rendering window open, you can save from it.

-
    about your computer: you need _good_ ventilation and heat dissipation (and of course proper alimentation for all of that). it's very important, both to let your GPU and CPUs go to their max capabilities and also to maximise their life time.

"How are some of you guys running three graphics cards without cooking your computer like an egg"
    very good ventilation/or liquid cooling, in a well done case. NOT a laptop. Also it's very important to check for dust in fans and openings. It needs to be clean.

I use a 2009 Mac Pro (with a custom pc nvidia card), its case is extensively well done to dissipate heat and work for months without stopping.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited December 1969

Jimbow said:
    Will iray exr output be enabled? If not, and regardless of liking iray a lot, Luxrender is my choice for any work I might do using DazStudio. Actually, it's not even a choice ;)

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but Iray supports loading exr HDR maps.

• oomuoomu Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

Jimbow said:
    Will iray exr output be enabled? If not, and regardless of liking iray a lot, Luxrender is my choice for any work I might do using DazStudio. Actually, it's not even a choice ;)

LuxRender can export its rendering in many output formats, with high dynamic for example. .EXR is one of these formats, allowing you to do some post-treatment with minimal loss and then to export in a final user format as png or jpeg.

edited December 1969

lainsd said:
    Jimbow said:

LuxRender can export its rendering in many output formats, with high dynamic for example. .EXR is one of these formats, allowing you to do some post-treatment with minimal loss and then to export in a final user format as png or jpeg.Iray does support EXR export.

We have looked at it, and are looking at it. There are some definite obstacles. No promises either way, much less on when.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    Okay. I give up on the eyes. I have tried for more than two hours to be rid of the 'milky eye' and have decided that the best way to go is to not use the iray shader on the eye area. I can't really test it in photrealism but the standard iray renderer keeps producing a light milky appearance. I, even, tried the thin glass to no avail. And what is "abbe"? It's a dial in surfaces (at least for the eyes).
    There is, in the Beta content, a Human Shader, for Genesis 2 Male and Female. Also if you use the base Genesis 2 female or male base it should automatically convert the water surfaces correctly.

However here are the physically correct settings. Apply thin water to eye reflection (simulates a thin coating of water on the eye), tear and cornea. Change the refraction of the Cornea to about 1.37.

You can use the same settings for other figures. Note since Genesis 1 does not have an Eye Reflective surface, you are likely to have only a small reflective area on the eyes.

If you are using a Genesis 1 figure, you could try using my Eye Surface for Genesis product and applying a water material to it.
    http://www.daz3d.com/eye-surface-for-genesis

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    ccbn213 said:
    Okay. I give up on the eyes. I have tried for more than two hours to be rid of the 'milky eye' and have decided that the best way to go is to not use the iray shader on the eye area. I can't really test it in photrealism but the standard iray renderer keeps producing a light milky appearance. I, even, tried the thin glass to no avail. And what is "abbe"? It's a dial in surfaces (at least for the eyes).
    There is, in the Beta content, a Human Shader, for Genesis 2 Male and Female. Also if you use the base Genesis 2 female or male base it should automatically convert the water surfaces correctly.

However here are the physically correct settings. Apply thin water to eye reflection (simulates a thin coating of water on the eye), tear and cornea. Change the refraction of the Cornea to about 1.37.

You can use the same settings for other figures. Note since Genesis 1 does not have an Eye Reflective surface, you are likely to have only a small reflective area on the eyes.

If you are using a Genesis 1 figure, you could try using my Eye Surface for Genesis product and applying a water material to it.
    http://www.daz3d.com/eye-surface-for-genesisSorry,I forgot about that.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

you are likely to have only a small reflective area on the eyes.

Most of the highlights on the eye are on the cornea anyway. Try increasing the cornea bulge (morph) and be sure to listen to DAZ_Spooky about the refraction or the highlights won't look correct. And don't forget that to get strong highlights there needs something to be reflected. Changing the light to a rectangle will give you more the type of highlights your seeing from tv shows and so forth.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

For anyone thinking of upgrading their graphics card.....

I got an Asus GTX970 4Gb today to replace my Asus GTX660Ti 2Gb

A render that previously took over 21 mins now takes 6mins 6 secs.

Not too bad!

mac

• LuthbelLuthbel Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

maclean said:

Not too bad!

mac

Hmm interesting... I also have a GTX660Ti 2Gb........

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969

Question on environment maps
    Is there a specific or best size ?
    Is there a way to scale them , in Poser I can do this in the materials room
    I ask because some that I have loaded are great for Land of the Giants type pics where others I get great big square and or rectangular blotches

edited March 2015

Khory said:
    you are likely to have only a small reflective area on the eyes.

Most of the highlights on the eye are on the cornea anyway. Try increasing the cornea bulge (morph) and be sure to listen to DAZ_Spooky about the refraction or the highlights won't look correct. And don't forget that to get strong highlights there needs something to be reflected. Changing the light to a rectangle will give you more the type of highlights your seeing from tv shows and so forth.

I was playing with a "Paramount" light rig with one image, and I am not sure if this is broad or short lighting in the other (I was incorrect placing lighting for Rembrandt Lighting. LOL). Eye highlights in portraits in real photographs, is almost entirely light placement.

There are two schools of thought on proper placement. There should be either one or two highlights in each eye. :) If you go with two, they should be on the same side of the eye, one high and one low. :)

Note in both images the light used was Photometric Spot Lights. (Lyoness' Presley, AprilYSH's Portia Hair, Inane Glory's Studio background, and Charlie's Clubbing Cowl Dress, in one Lyones' Christina, AprilYSH's Harlow Hair and Inane Glory's Studio background in the other one.)

LYChristina-Portrait.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    LYPresley_Lighttest.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited March 2015

maclean said:

Not too bad!

mac

You should run them side by side if your motherboard and case can handle them both at once (not in sli). 2GB and 1344 more cores from the 660 should lower that time even more.

I've considered putting one of my previous GTX 460 Superclocked cards (I had 2 running in sli at one point) back in as a 2nd card, but it only has 1GB ram and less than 400 cores so it's not even worth it. Although it "may" pick up a bit of the slack seeing as my render card is also driving my monitors.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I just posted this in another thread but I'll post it here so I can use it as an example. If you look at her eye there is a big primary highlight due to the large rectangular light that is the primary light for the scene. The light strength on that one was 1300 lumen. The very small highlight that is more on the center of the eye is from a much smaller fill light on the left that was 200 lumen (about a 20 watt bulb) and I might have been able to do all together. I wouldn't say that this set up is particularly natural mind you. That big rectangular highlight is what we often expect because we watch way to much TV/movies that use extra light enhancement like that.

hair_test_should_have_run_longer.jpg
    742 x 1200 - 582K
  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Iray does support EXR export.

We have looked at it, and are looking at it. There are some definite obstacles. No promises either way, much less on when.

Thanks very much for the reply. "Deep" EXR (not that you mentioned it) really isn't a must for me, and just the extra bit depth and exposure latitude is what I'd be very happy with, especially for handing on to a compositor. Anyway, nice implementation so far. Cheers.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

Access to iray shading language will be available in the final Studio build (i.e. an MDL equivalent of RSL editor?)

edited March 2015

latego said:
    Access to iray shading language will be available in the final Studio build (i.e. an MDL equivalent of RSL editor?)
    Part of it is already implemented in Shader Mixer.

Note that does not guarantee a date on completion.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

I'm having an issue that I can't figure out; sometimes Iray will render a scene with a very small number of iterations and call the render completed when there are obviously still fuzzy areas and lack of detail. I just rendered an interior scene (fairly dark though) and it stopped after 123 iterations.

My render settings are unchanged, so those are not the culprits. Any ideas?

edited December 1969

I'm having an issue that I can't figure out; sometimes Iray will render a scene with a very small number of iterations and call the render completed when there are obviously still fuzzy areas and lack of detail. I just rendered an interior scene (fairly dark though) and it stopped after 123 iterations.

My render settings are unchanged, so those are not the culprits. Any ideas?

Fuzzy? Depth of Field?
    edited December 1969

No depth of field, 'fuzzy' as in 'very grainy'. Converting the textures with the Iray Uber shader made no difference either (I thought it might).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

No depth of field, 'fuzzy' as in 'very grainy'. Converting the textures with the Iray Uber shader made no difference either (I thought it might).

How long did it take? Unless you've changed the settings it wills top after two hours, however few iterations it has done and however far it is from convergence.

edited March 2015

It took about 3 and a half minutes. There's an HDR at a very low setting (.05) and a bunch of point lights.The final render actually isn't bad, it just looks like it should be about 30% done instead of 100%.

edit: this has happened more than once in different scenes as well.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

I cant get HDR to work at all, I am just getting black images, Just when I thought I was getting the hang of Iray

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    I cant get HDR to work at all, I am just getting black images, Just when I thought I was getting the hang of Iray

Do you have a skydome in the scene?

Can you let us know what you are trying to render?

Kat

edited December 1969

I am trying to use HDR ProSets Yosemite Pack Two which comes with its own sky dome and ground plane, I add the HDR image (which is in .tff format) to the environment area of the render settings I even ramped my ISO up to 1200 and still so luck

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    I am trying to use HDR ProSets Yosemite Pack Two which comes with its own sky dome and ground plane, I add the HDR image (which is in .tff format) to the environment area of the render settings I even ramped my ISO up to 1200 and still so luck

Skydome = giant umbrella.

Ditch the dome.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    This is one of the confusing things about Iray. If you use a dome, you have to make it emissive, and put cRaycRay numbers as the lumens. Instead you should put the HDR image in the Environment so it uses it itself, and get rid of the additional dome.

But here's the thing.

(1) If you use a pre-made dome, you MUST set the lighting to something that includes 'Scene', or it won't produce light.
    (2) If you use the built-in [in]finite dome, you MUST set the lighting to something that includes 'Dome', or it won't produce light.
    (3) If you want both to function, i.e. have a sky/sun AND have emissive/point/spot lights in your scene, your environment MUST be set to 'Dome + Scene'.

I feel like half the problems folks are having, are that they are set to 'Dome only' and trying to add scene lights, or are set to 'Scene only' and are trying to use the built-in sun/sky dome.

Personally, I render everything with Dome+Scene unless I'm very certain it's an interior-only shot (and I don't even want a shaft of sunlight coming in or something) in which case I set it to Scene Only.

Fun other facts...

A lot of 'interiors' in the store are actually only partially closed. For example, I was trying to light an attic, and I discovered that one of the walls was missing, so the environment dome was lighting from the skylight above AND the HUGE GAPING HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE ATTIC. X_x I shoved another instance of the attic up against itself, blocking off that wall, and my lighting was a thousand times more predictable. :)

But seriously, I think half the frustrated posts are probably Dome/Scene lighting mismatches. :(

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Thanks I think I have it working better now
    I was only leaving the other dome in as it had the image texture on it I keep forgetting It shows up on the Iray one if I add the texture there, this is going to make it interesting to make HDRI lights.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2015

Vaskania said:
    maclean said:

Not too bad!

mac

You should run them side by side if your motherboard and case can handle them both at once (not in sli). 2GB and 1344 more cores from the 660 should lower that time even more.

I've considered putting one of my previous GTX 460 Superclocked cards (I had 2 running in sli at one point) back in as a 2nd card, but it only has 1GB ram and less than 400 cores so it's not even worth it. Although it "may" pick up a bit of the slack seeing as my render card is also driving my monitors.

I'd like to, but my board (Asus P8Z77-V LX2) won't handle 2 cards. At least, I don't think it does.

Uh, wait - just checked the specs - "There are 2 PCIe x16 slots on this motherboard" Are those the card slots? Because it also says "Nvidia SLI is not supported". I know SLI is different, but I'm not techie enough to have ever bothered finding out what the difference is.

I need to google this and find out more.

mac

Edit - According to Kitguru "While the motherboard supports CrossFire configurations, the lower PCI-E x16 expansion slot is limited to x4 bandwidth. This is a perfectly acceptable design choice for an entry-level motherboard that is unlikely to see dual-card action."

Hmmm....

Post edited by maclean on