What are templates ?

AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi, noticed alot of products come with templates. What are templates and how are they used. Thanx.

Comments

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited December 1969

Hi,

you can use the templates if you want to create own textures for the objects / props.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,343
    edited December 1969

Templates are the maps used for texturing. It shows the seam lines of an object or figure. Here is an example of one. You jsut take the texture you want on the object and paint on it. You can also do the texturing in Photoshop or GIMP.

Template.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 261K
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. I have a ton of templates, had no idea what they were :)

• JuanRiveroJuanRivero Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Is there a tutorial on how to use Templates?

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Something I've been wondering, can Daz create a template out of an item in the scene?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Is there a tutorial on how to use Templates?

You may find this some help in explaining the steps. I used the MFD and the template I am using is one of SnowSultan's Seam guide ones for that dress (which are the official temples with some extra guides added), but it shows the basic steps.

http://chohole.ovbi.org/texture_tutorial.htm

edited December 1969

Something I've been wondering, can Daz create a template out of an item in the scene?

Templates are mostly available from your Product Library (in your account dashboard)

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Templates are mostly available from your Product Library (in your account dashboard)

But not always, and not for items from places like ShareCG. I'm sure Hex can do it, just need to learn how was just curious if Daz could.

edited December 1969

AFAIK you need something like UV mapper to extract a UV map, and then it is only possible if the object has been created with UV coordinates.

I, of course, don't use DS so am not certain how you make a UV map from something that does not have an OBJ. In poser they all have an obj and I can then make a UV map (template) from the OBJ.

edited March 2015

OK I asked and was told to tell you this

You can make a UV template much as you do in Poser. The only real difference is that you need to export the OBJ for items that are supplied in DAZ Studio format. Hide all the other items, if any, in your sceen so that they don't get included then go to File>Export. In the file dialogue set the type to Wavefront OBJ, then set the folder and file name as desired. In the option dialogue just pick the DAZ Studio preset and click Accept. Now follow the instructions for making a UV template from the OBJ

To explain I would then take the Poser OBJ into either UVMapper available here http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html UV mapper classic is free, or else I often use UV viewer from here http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=other&product=uv_viewer which is also free.

On the UV mapper site they do have some tutorials on using UVmapper.

But as I said earlier this only works with models that have been created with UV coordinates. If they aren't then the apps I have linked will tell you they don't have UV coordinates, and then we have a whole new ball game.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Ahh, thank you. I will have to experiment with this soon.

edited December 1969

You need to thank Richard (Haseltine) as well as he was the one talked me through it, so I could help you.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Could you please tell me where??? I'm looking at my products and don't see templates anywhere.... There used to be a link under the pictures on the product page.. but there isn't anymore.
    In the product library...I checked a product that I KNOW there is a template for because I got it before the new site update... and there's no link for the template ... i.e. Onyx for Genesis Female. I have the template.. but it's not showing in the product library so I know there is one.

edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    chohole said:

Could you please tell me where??? I'm looking at my products and don't see templates anywhere.... There used to be a link under the pictures on the product page.. but there isn't anymore.
    In the product library...I checked a product that I KNOW there is a template for because I got it before the new site update... and there's no link for the template ... i.e. Onyx for Genesis Female. I have the template.. but it's not showing in the product library so I know there is one.

I did say most, and you seem to have found one of the ones that is missing.

They should be here

templates_here2.jpg
    868 x 300 - 96K
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

You can see the template in Daz Studio. Select an object, go to the viewport dropdown menu and select 'UV View'. You can set it by material or by node.

Note that you can't save this view or export it. (The only thing you could do is take a screen shot of it). But it's really handy for checking to see what it looks like.

mac

edited March 2015

chohole said:
    llolalane said:
    chohole said:

I did say most, and you seem to have found one of the ones that is missing.

They should be here

Thanks for the screen shot Cho.. that helps... But I'm not sure how "MOST" there are... Seems like the dresses I want a template for are not there... Maybe I can load the OBJ files into Hexagon for templates... but not sure how to do that... :(

Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    You can see the template in Daz Studio. Select an object, go to the viewport dropdown menu and select 'UV View'. You can set it by material or by node.

Note that you can't save this view or export it. (The only thing you could do is take a screen shot of it). But it's really handy for checking to see what it looks like.

mac

Thank you for the tip Maclean... I didn't know about that feature (learned something new)... Unfortunately the dresses I want the template for are Blank... I tried the material AND node view... just a blank white page :( Maybe they don't have UV maps??? Is that possible?

edited March 2015

llolalane said:
    maclean said:

mac

Thank you for the tip Maclean... I didn't know about that feature (learned something new)... Unfortunately the dresses I want the template for are Blank... I tried the material AND node view... just a blank white page :( Maybe they don't have UV maps??? Is that possible?

edit... WAIT... I think I've figured it out... Ya gotta highlight the PIECE of the item in the SURFACES TAB... I'm gonna give it some further experimenting.. I guess I can always do a screen capture????

edit... o.k.. that doesn't work... my screen capture is small and I don't know how big to make the texture... Hum... I guess I can always use a current texture and use it as a template??? Hummm.....

Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited December 1969

FYI... Cho is correct.. I've found a few more templates... Using DIM to download purchased items kept me from looking at the download page... (sighs) I guess I'll have to make a habit of looking at that page... now that I know what to look for. They are manual downloads (sighs.... Still learning)

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Don't worry about learning. I've been at this for 15 years and I'm still learning. LOL.

Yes, opening an existing texture is a good way to get the template. You can blank out the textured areas and fill in material names, then resave it as a template.

One thing you should be aware of is that many content created use 'stacked' templates. In Daz Studio, if you look at a the UV View for a figure or dress and choose Select by node, you may find that it's just a jumble of black lines. That's all the materials all stacked on top of one another. So it's usually best to select by material and click on each material separately. But sometimes By Node can be helpful too.

mac

edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Don't worry about learning. I've been at this for 15 years and I'm still learning. LOL.

Yes, opening an existing texture is a good way to get the template. You can blank out the textured areas and fill in material names, then resave it as a template.

One thing you should be aware of is that many content created use 'stacked' templates. In Daz Studio, if you look at a the UV View for a figure or dress and choose Select by node, you may find that it's just a jumble of black lines. That's all the materials all stacked on top of one another. So it's usually best to select by material and click on each material separately. But sometimes By Node can be helpful too.

mac

GREAT... i'll remember that.. Thanks for the tip :)