DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I even filtered for "public build"

I assumed this meant you had your download filters set to show Public Build.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,978
    edited March 2015

ghosty12 said:

You might also have public beta turned off in the settings as I think if that if it is not turned on then Public Betas do not show up..

THAT'S what it was! And my firstborn shall be named Ghosty...

Aww shucks, : ) Glad to help knew it had to be there.. Had the same thing happening to me when 4.7 came out in beta was that I did not have the public betas option checked.. :D

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:
    namffuak said:
    well shoot, why can't I?

Two possibilities. First, in DIM, click on the gear icon, top right, then the downloads tab and scroll to the bottom. Make sure that 'public build' has a check mark. Second, if you've never done a public beta through DIM before, you'll need to 'purchase' it. I think there's a link in the first post on this thread.

If it's not one of those two, I'm stumped.

With what pictures I am seeing so far this version of Daz Studio is going to give Octane a run for it's money..

Heh you missed it. Yours was the solution and it's dloading now. So, this is the feature Im most excited about. If we can render like that without having to dump everything to another program, I can't wait. Now, do we have to go surfaces crazy to make it render right?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,978
    edited March 2015

ghosty12 said:
    namffuak said:
    well shoot, why can't I?

Two possibilities. First, in DIM, click on the gear icon, top right, then the downloads tab and scroll to the bottom. Make sure that 'public build' has a check mark. Second, if you've never done a public beta through DIM before, you'll need to 'purchase' it. I think there's a link in the first post on this thread.

With what pictures I am seeing so far this version of Daz Studio is going to give Octane a run for it's money..

Heh you missed it. Yours was the solution and it's dloading now. So, this is the feature Im most excited about. If we can render like that without having to dump everything to another program, I can't wait. Now, do we have to go surfaces crazy to make it render right?

No idea will let you know still downloading it.. But more of the extreme cost of Octane is what I am looking at more than anything.. Also may wake up the Luxrender crew to get a wiggle on..

But certainly glad you got it downloading now. :)

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
    edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:
    ghosty12 said:
    namffuak said:
    well shoot, why can't I?

No idea will let you know still downloading it.. But more of the extreme cost of Octane is what I am looking at more than anything.. Also may wake up the Luxrender crew to get a wiggle on..

doing a test render now, will let you know! I liked Lux but all the work re-surfacing was finally too much. Hopefully this will be our one-stop-shop for rendering. Funny, I posted a suggestion a few weeks ago to a "what do you want in the next DS" thread and asked for this very thing. It's like christmas!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    well shoot, why can't I?

Or you might have done what I did and DIDNT check "display hidden" - cos for some reason I had hidden the public betas in the past.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072
    edited December 1969

Here is my first test render. Just used the Sun Dial Set for the light and an .exr file for the environment map.

Trystan_IRay_Studio_4.8_Render_.jpg
    623 x 826 - 240K
    edited March 2015

Here is my first test render. Just used the Sun Dial Set for the light and an .exr file for the environment map.

So we don't need any specialty lighting like we need for LUX? It'll use whatever light sets we use? (I have tons)

EDIT and that looks wonderful, btw ;p

Post edited by Ademnus on
  • DA KrossDA Kross Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Dumb question. Does IRay have a CPU mode? I don't have an Nvidia video card and cannot buy one right now. But I welcome a new unbiased engine, especially one built right into DAZ.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

Yes in the render settings

edited December 1969

So we don't need any specialty lighting like we need for LUX? It'll use whatever light sets we use? (I have tons)

EDIT and that looks wonderful, btw ;p

Thank you! He is my Trystan character set for M4 I am in the process of finishing to put into my store.

The Sun Dial came with the Iray download/install, but I haven't tried any other lighting. It is reality based, so I would suggest you work as if you were in Lux/Reality for that rather than using the tricks of the trade as it were prior to this.

edited March 2015

Dumb question. Does IRay have a CPU mode? I don't have an Nvidia video card and cannot buy one right now. But I welcome a new unbiased engine, especially one built right into DAZ.

I did forget to mention- he is rendered in CPU mode. It took five minutes.

I did notice that the displacement maps are not working- I went and set them to 80% strength with a positive dial of .4 and still nothing. They are grayscale black background with white/gray so I don't need a negative value. Never had that happen before in Studio, but it's been a while since I used it on a regular. Hm.

Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
    edited December 1969

I did notice that the displacement maps are not working- I went and set them to 80% strength with a positive dial of .4 and still nothing. They are grayscale black background with white/gray so I don't need a negative value. Never had that happen before in Studio, but it's been a while since I used it on a regular. Hm.

I have a mighty Nvidia card. Do I have to set anything special in the settings?

edited December 1969

I don't. Wish I did. lol

Yanno, I have no idea. Before that render, I've only had this installed for about 20 minutes (that was how long it took to get the skin shaders where they are before testing out the render engine). XD Still, I hope to figure out what the heck went wrong on the displacements.

edited December 1969

I don't. Wish I did. lol

Yanno, I have no idea. Before that render, I've only had this installed for about 20 minutes (that was how long it took to get the skin shaders where they are before testing out the render engine). XD Still, I hope to figure out what the heck went wrong on the displacements.

I'll give displacements a try. A lot to learn now, but it's all so nice. I really love this update.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Ok, I've been through this thread and can't seem to see what benefit all this is going to be for anyone that doesn't have an Nvidia card. I have an AMD, so what's in it for me!? So far all I seem to have seen is how good it is for Nvidia users, but, what about others that aren't!?

I love DS, but, I don't want to feel penalised because I don't have 'the right graphics card'

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

test render here. Hair is totally borked, probably due to displ issues that you mentioned. Glass is speckly, much like in LUX, and will probably just take material tweaking. Skin and stone look very nice tho. In time, this will be incredible.

Studio4.jpg
    804 x 616 - 475K
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Ok, I've been through this thread and can't seem to see what benefit all this is going to be for anyone that doesn't have an Nvidia card. I have an AMD, so what's in it for me!? So far all I seem to have seen is how good it is for Nvidia users, but, what about others that aren't!?

I love DS, but, I don't want to feel penalised because I don't have 'the right graphics card'

CHEERS!

Well, I *don't* have Nvidia cards in my system, and it works fine with CPU rendering. Five minutes for a basic test run is great, considering my light rigs can take hours to render in either program.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    AAAAAAARGH!

I just spent my 'video card' money on a DAZ Gift Certificate! Whatever shall I do?!?!?

;)

I'm 19 minutes into a render, and it's around iteration 50. (It says 45, but it looks like it's going by 4's at this point.) The last convergence value it gave was 0.36%. The same render in 3Delight was taking 2-3 minutes. I'm fairly confident I know what the problem is, though. I'm using DAZ Studio standard lights. I literally pulled up a test image I was comparing AoA and UE lighting (including DAZ stock lights) and disabled UE2 and AoA, and hit 'Render'.

More seriously, I now am Very Sad that my primary render box is my 2011 iMac. I can't upgrade my video 'card', and it's an AMD. My only option for this is to do renders on my PC, which currently has a very crappy GeForce 8800GT (Okay, it was AWESOME when I bought it... ;) ). So I need to spend some serious money and upgrade my PC's video card. And I just spent that money on DAZ. ;)

All kidding aside, I'm really happy to see this. I think it's awesome, and I'm sure it'll be a kick in the butt for all kinds of things. Hopefully more vendors support it, with light sets, more physically accurate textures/shaders, and anything else necessary to make the products we buy everyday work with it.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

test render here. Hair is totally borked, probably due to displ issues that you mentioned. Glass is speckly, much like in LUX, and will probably just take material tweaking. Skin and stone look very nice tho. In time, this will be incredible.

Yeah, gonna have to check the displacements on Trystan. As for the glass, there are several different presets in the library you can use to start with-Trystan's eye surface and tear materials have the thin glass preset on them.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited March 2015

I don't. Wish I did. lol

I don't know about not working but something is wrong look at the difference when you put a displacement map on!

P.S. I used the same hex bump in the displacement.

5Min-Displacement.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 387K
    5min-Bump.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 383K
    Post edited by Midnight_stories on
    edited December 1969

I don't. Wish I did. lol

I don't know about not working but something is wrong look at the diference when you put a displacement map on!

lol- which is why I'll have to check my displacements. S'gotta be something there that isn't right...could be the gamma, maybe? I dunno, iI just got off of work two hours ago and it's 3 AM here, so it's about the end of the day for me. Brain isn't up to snuff. ;)

edited December 1969

And last test render. As you can see, no displacements for the veins here. I'll have to check those at another time. This one took about 7 minutes to render out using CPU settings.

Trystan_IRay_Studio_4.8_Render2_.jpg
    711 x 826 - 295K
  • Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited December 1969

And yet again AMD snubbed in favour of NVidia. Yes, I'm aware from earlier in this thread that CPU mode will work but the whole point of this is to leverage GPU power. I like Luxrender but their GPU mode is very limited it would be great to have the choice of other render engines as well as one size doesn't always fit all. Hell, I have 4GB of VRAM on my GPU!

I really do wish developers would invest more time in exploring options across the board, rather than put all their eggs in one basket. Rant over!

edited December 1969

ug, it just crashed and upon restarting has re-docked all of my tabs that I'd just moved to my second monitor. I guess I should have hit save somewhere lol. Also, I had tried rendering a sky dome (scene only setting, using Predatron's skies) with Urban Sprawl and it just came out black and then crashed lol

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

tigerste said:
    And yet again AMD snubbed in favour of NVidia. Yes, I'm aware from earlier in this thread that CPU mode will work but the whole point of this is to leverage GPU power. I like Luxrender but their GPU mode is very limited it would be great to have the choice of other render engines as well as one size doesn't always fit all. Hell, I have 4GB of VRAM on my GPU!

I really do wish developers would invest more time in exploring options across the board, rather than put all their eggs in one basket. Rant over!

Well... I think Iray was produced by nVidia, originally, and...'opened up', I guess? So it makes some sense that it's semi-tied to it.

And with pure CPU mode, I changed to a sun node instead of the old-style lights I was using, and 6 minutes in and it's almost 3% converged, so it's doing a LOT better than the previous mode. And the image already looks awesome...

-- Morgan

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Surely it's not just me who's excited that we now have a default "ground plane"???

edited December 1969

tigerste said:

I'd respond if only I could tear my eyes away from your beautiful, hypnotic avatar...

Ive tried both AMD and Nvidia over the years and I have to say I just won't buy AMD anymore. The last one I tried had a curious interaction with something or other in my system, supposedly a rare conflict but, you know, my luck -and it made my mouse pointer bigger than my face. I spent hours in forums trying to pin it down and the final word was "we fixed that -except for your specific case. And we don't expect to deal with that any time soon." LOL I took it back, got an Nvidia, and have been problem free ever since. Anytime I buy AMD, this or that program has this or that problem and you're right, it's probably nothing more than developers supporting Nvidia more and not dealing with the proper things required to make it problem free on AMD. Thus, I just buy nvidia. I have to say, the one I have now is just superb and handles everything like a dream. I know that's little help to you now but have you ever considered swapping?

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Surely it's not just me who's excited that we now have a default "ground plane"???

Me too! And the more I look thru render settings, the more exited I become. So many goodies!

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    2. How can I get IRAY preview to stop blanking out when I try to rotate an environment map? When using other PBR renderers (such as when using Substance Painter or when I had the Marmoset Toolbag trial), I'm used to real time rotation so I don't have to guess at where my light's coming from.

It depends on your setup. If e.g. you load just an HDR map, then depending on your hardware it should not blank out. Yes, if you have a full scene then I would imagine that it would blank out than if you had e.g. just a single prop.

3. What types of files can the IRAY environment map use? HDRI, EXR, etc? Please say it can read EXR, I have some I like that came with my Allegorithmic software lol.

Yes, EXR is one of them.