DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I am not sure what NK is.

NK files are measured data files that describe the photometric characteristics of things like metals. Luxrender and many other unbiased renderers use them.

Got a partial answer from an Iray pdf...it does use measured data, but it doesn't say, in that pdf, what format it must be in.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I'll admit I have no idea what I'm doing with this, so I've got a few questions.

1. How do I set up materials for skin/hair/clothes now? Can I leave them as-is (daz default, uber, aoa sss, etc) and tweak as normal or do I have to change 'em all to this new !ray Uber Base (ctrl-clicking as to not lose any maps) and go from there (aka bang head against wall)?

2. How can I get IRAY preview to stop blanking out when I try to rotate an environment map? When using other PBR renderers (such as when using Substance Painter or when I had the Marmoset Toolbag trial), I'm used to real time rotation so I don't have to guess at where my light's coming from.

3. What types of files can the IRAY environment map use? HDRI, EXR, etc? Please say it can read EXR, I have some I like that came with my Allegorithmic software lol.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    How well do the AoA Advanced Lights work with the Nvidia Iray rendering?

You won't use the AoA lights with Iray. All the wonderful features he has added are fantastic for 3delight, but un-needed. They are shader lights so will not work with Iray. It has it's own lighting environment using HDRI, Sun-Sky and/or photometric Spot and Point lights. It also will allow you to turn surfaces into light emitting surfaces. (i.e. lightbulbs, area lights etc....) The pointlight can use an IES profile, as can a mesh surface used as an emittor.

Remember, this is a photoreal renderer so you won't be using all the lighting trickes and fudges you had to learn for 3Delight. They won't work here. :)

...based on that I take it the effects cameras will not work either. so to do vignette and other atmospheric effects, you are back to dealing with them in post.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the answers Kat! Much appreciated! :-)

RAMWolff said:
    So Kat, your saying basically we have a built in Luxus rendering engine now. So if we choose to use 3Delight we can keep using Reality, Luxus and those specialty shader lights (which always confound me so I rarely do anyways) or we can use this new render engine (what's it's name again?) and have all that built in??

barbult said:

You won't use the AoA lights with Iray. All the wonderful features he has added are fantastic for 3delight, but un-needed. They are shader lights so will not work with Iray. It has it's own lighting environment using HDRI, Sun-Sky and/or photometric Spot and Point lights. It also will allow you to turn surfaces into light emitting surfaces. (i.e. lightbulbs, area lights etc....) The pointlight can use an IES profile, as can a mesh surface used as an emittor.

Remember, this is a photoreal renderer so you won't be using all the lighting trickes and fudges you had to learn for 3Delight. They won't work here. :)

Ram - You will have the option to use either Iray and its feature set, or 3Delight and the lights, shaders etc you have invested in there. You may find things better in one over another. For example, toon rendering is not real world, so best left to 3Delight. So we are not removing choices. We're giving you more. :) You can still use all your 3Delight, Lux Render, Octane etc ...plugins as you need them. :)

Kat

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

So in order to avoid all that extra set up stuff you mentioned in your post below just stick with the CPU render side of things with this new render engine? My card is about the same as barbult's and surely don't have money to spend on a high end card or a bridged set of cards. Tis what it tis.

barbult said:
    Thank you all for the responses on the AoA Advanced Lights. I've never used an unbiased render engine before, so it is all new to me! Thanks for the tips on adding the appropriate lights for Iray. I only have a 2GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 760, so I wonder if I will benefit much from the GPU render.
    When I first started testing this it was on a 2GB GTX 770 (on one machine.)

If you remember the following, The scene must fit on the 2GB available to the card in order to use it. Texture atlas is your friend. Close your web browser, turn off aero, turn off second monitors, and your scene must be fairly simple, then your card will help. If you want to do something a bit more complex, then you will be rendering CPU only. You will still get the same great results, it just won't be as fast as it could be with better hardware.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    barbult said:

...based on that I take it the effects cameras will not work either. so to do vignette and other atmospheric effects, you are back to dealing with them in post.

For now, maybe. I used to have a set of filters for my 35 mm camera that did much the same; I can't see why a 'doctored' plane couldn't be placed between the camera and the scene to accomplish the same result. (Cokin filters, for those interested). The key would be to create a variable density planar object.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...but the fog cameras are different than simply placing a plane in front of the camera as they also work with depth .

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...but the fog cameras are different than simply placing a plane in front of the camera as they also work with depth .

True. I had one of the Cokin fog filters and to really get the proper effect usually required using a neutral density filter to cut overall light AND creative use of F-stop and focal length. The other effects were much more straight-forward.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Kat, so it's all new lights with Iray - can people create light sets for it as well ? (for sale in store or giveaways etc)

edited March 2015

edit: ignore me, I realized what the problem was. User error. LOL

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

Render time is pretty slow for me in the new engine. I would say it is not comparible to 3d delight speed-wise at all. at least on my machine. as the same image rendered in 5 minutes is now chunking away with the render at about over half an hour now, and I'm hitting the hay, leaving it running.

I'm not saying I won't use it, but it certainly isn't going to be used that often. It takes too long, and my render play period is fairly short.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

The glass looks very nice, I'm thinking of shader for my next product, but will have to go through and look at what they did.
    We need some skin shaders to.

Iray-test.jpg
    544 x 1258 - 273K
    edited December 1969

Basically, there are no 'shaders' (at least in the sense that is commonly used here). The materials are defined by real world measured data. It's just a matter of telling the renderer which materials to use where. That is going to be one of the biggest changes for most folks. That's also why there is no direct moving between 3Delight and any unbiased renderer. 3Delight's materials are based on 'what looks close enough to skate by with' as opposed to 'this is what the data says'. The differences between the two types of renderers are akin to the differences between oils and canvas and a camera and film.

It may help to think of it less as rendering and more as creating a virtual photograph.

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited December 1969

Quick question:
    Is there anyway to both do the beta testing AND using the old version of DAZ?
    I want to beta test it so bad but I'm working on a project...
    Any suggestions?

edited December 1969

Yes, the beta will be a separate install, in a different location and only share the content after setting it up to see the current directories. So it will be installed along side of the current release.

edited December 1969

Please tell me there will be a comprehensive manual/documentation to show those of us who this is totally new for, how to use it and understand it.

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Please tell me there will be a comprehensive manual/documentation to show those of us who this is totally new for, how to use it and understand it.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one...

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    jakiblue said:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one...

I heard that

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited December 1969

There's a handful of people posting great renders from it already and the pump is primed to extract their brainz... :snake:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/777902/

and dedicated thread for iray renders: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53690/
    (hopefully with captions to say what the heck they did with the makeart button to get it)

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:
    There's a handful of people posting great renders from it already and the pump is primed to extract their brainz... :snake:

and dedicated thread for iray renders: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53690/
    (hopefully with captions to say what the heck they did with the makeart button to get it)

I'd love to as well but it isnt available yet. I wonder how they got it?

edited March 2015

AprilYSH said:

You mean the IRAY engine? Install the Daz Studio 4.8 Beta and you'll have it too. You can only get Public Builds (betas) through DIM. You'll also want the Public Build IRAY Content as well.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    AprilYSH said:

You mean the IRAY engine? Install the Daz Studio 4.8 Beta and you'll have it too. You can only get Public Builds (betas) through DIM. You'll also want the Public Build IRAY Content as well.

No, I mean 4.8 -dim isn't showing it yet, and I even filtered for "public build"

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    AprilYSH said:

No, I mean 4.8 -dim isn't showing it yet, and I even filtered for "public build"
    Really? DIM is the only way you can install it. o_O
    I did mine a few hours ago.

edited December 1969

well shoot, why can't I?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,976
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Vaskania said:
    AprilYSH said:

Same I am downloading and installing Daz Studio 4.8 as I write this..

edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:
    Vaskania said:
    Vaskania said:
    AprilYSH said:

I don't get it. It shows up nowhere. Not even if I filter for "daz studio" "4.8" or even just "public"

edited March 2015

ghosty12 said:
    Vaskania said:
    Vaskania said:
    AprilYSH said:

I don't get it. It shows up nowhere. Not even if I filter for "daz studio" "4.8" or even just "public"

Have you put in Iray into the filter box there is a file there called Public Beta Iray Support Content.. If that is there then Daz Studio 4.8 would be as well and there is also an update to Genesis 2 as well.. You might also have public beta turned off in the settings as I think if that if it is not turned on then Public Betas do not show up..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
    edited December 1969

well shoot, why can't I?

Two possibilities. First, in DIM, click on the gear icon, top right, then the downloads tab and scroll to the bottom. Make sure that 'public build' has a check mark. Second, if you've never done a public beta through DIM before, you'll need to 'purchase' it. I think there's a link in the first post on this thread.

If it's not one of those two, I'm stumped.

edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:

You might also have public beta turned off in the settings as I think if that if it is not turned on then Public Betas do not show up..

THAT'S what it was! And my firstborn shall be named Ghosty...

edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    well shoot, why can't I?

Two possibilities. First, in DIM, click on the gear icon, top right, then the downloads tab and scroll to the bottom. Make sure that 'public build' has a check mark. Second, if you've never done a public beta through DIM before, you'll need to 'purchase' it. I think there's a link in the first post on this thread.

If it's not one of those two, I'm stumped.

With what pictures I am seeing so far this version of Daz Studio is going to give Octane a run for it's money..