DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Jennyver said:
    heinz0r said:
    But where are the new iray specific shaders? Need to download something for the content library or should the already be available with the install of 4.8 beta?
    Or are they not yet included? I simply cannot find anything about that yet.

You need to install "Public Beta Iray Support Content"

Thanks, it wasnt obvious to find due to being in the lower category :)

• MallenLaneMallenLane Posts: 159
    edited March 2015

One slight snafu. On a mac, even if it has an Nvidia GPU, you'll have to manually download and install the CUDA driver from Nvidia to enable GPU rendering. Otherwise with CPU off it simply renders black.

Once that driver is installed your GPU will show up in the box and it will render using it.

Just did this process on my Macbook Pro. You only need the driver not the toolkit or samples.

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

edit: and again this is ONLY for macs with an Nvidia GPU

Post edited by MallenLane on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

One slight snafu. On a mac, even if it has an Nvidia GPU, you'll have to manually download and install the CUDA driver from Nvidia to enable GPU rendering. Otherwise with CPU off it simply renders black.

Once that driver is installed your GPU will show up in the box and it will render using it.

Just did this process on my Macbook Pro. You only need the driver not the toolkit or samples.

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

edit: and again this is ONLY for macs with an Nvidia GPU

Thank you. Note this is for Yosemite. For Mavericks and below it should be included with the OS. (If it isn't, then please download it as suggested. My fault for not bringing it up sooner.
  • MallenLaneMallenLane Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

You might find the info here marginally helpful as well since iRay is a PBR.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136390

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Spooky does this version work with Carrara 8.5 ?
    And will the duf files be the same as the old versions ?

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Spooky does this version work with Carrara 8.5 ?
    And will the duf files be the same as the old versions ?
    DUF files have not changed as a basis, though they have a few new things in the extra section which Carrara should ignore. There should be no change in DS-Carrara interoperability.
  • HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Spooky,

... I think we need a switch for the green channel.

edited December 1969

Hole said:
    Spooky,

You could always make the primary SSS channel be green if you were rendering Vulcans, or Orions, or possibly Delvians.
  • HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Hole said:
    Spooky,

You could always make the primary SSS channel be green if you were rendering Vulcans, or Orions, or possibly Delvians.

..no

for normal maps.

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Something to keep in mind for content creators in the future : TEXTURE GAMMA MATTERS! Please make sure to create textures with correct gamma values, especially for specularity and opacity. Otherwise people without the knowledge on how to properly set this will be wondering why their hair renders look like crap, or their specularity values are either burned out or way too low.

• ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Just did my first render. It looks beautiful and fast.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    edited December 1969

How well do the AoA Advanced Lights work with the Nvidia Iray rendering?

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

You won't use the AoA lights with Iray. All the wonderful features he has added are fantastic for 3delight, but un-needed. They are shader lights so will not work with Iray. It has it's own lighting environment using HDRI, Sun-Sky and/or photometric Spot and Point lights. It also will allow you to turn surfaces into light emitting surfaces. (i.e. lightbulbs, area lights etc....) The pointlight can use an IES profile, as can a mesh surface used as an emittor.

Remember, this is a photoreal renderer so you won't be using all the lighting trickes and fudges you had to learn for 3Delight. They won't work here. :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

So Kat, your saying basically we have a built in Luxus rendering engine now. So if we choose to use 3Delight we can keep using Reality, Luxus and those specialty shader lights (which always confound me so I rarely do anyways) or we can use this new render engine (what's it's name again?) and have all that built in??

barbult said:

You won't use the AoA lights with Iray. All the wonderful features he has added are fantastic for 3delight, but un-needed. They are shader lights so will not work with Iray. It has it's own lighting environment using HDRI, Sun-Sky and/or photometric Spot and Point lights. It also will allow you to turn surfaces into light emitting surfaces. (i.e. lightbulbs, area lights etc....) The pointlight can use an IES profile, as can a mesh surface used as an emittor.

Remember, this is a photoreal renderer so you won't be using all the lighting trickes and fudges you had to learn for 3Delight. They won't work here. :)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

no they wont. the end use will need to think in terms of real world lighting.

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Under 'Create', there are Photometric Spot Lights and Photometric Point Lights for use with Iray. In the Content Library, under Shader Presets is a group of Iray Uber shaders. One is an emissive shader. That can be applied to any mesh and you have an instant light. There is the sun/sky and also you can drop a HDR onto the environment map. Lots of light features here. It seems that pretty much none of the 3DL lights are doing much of anything, so forget what you learned over there. :) There is nothing like a new puzzle! People go to town and find stores with good puzzles. They then 'buy' them.

I find it totally ironic that today is "Get over it" day. ROTFL! Personally, I'm over 3DL now. :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

In other words, if you are familiar with Luxrender lighting then there will be no problems with setting up lights.

Here's a set of 'artist friendly' IES profiles to attach to those point lights...

http://www.derekjenson.com/3d-blog/ies-light-profiles

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I am pretty thrilled. Even on my 7 year old never state of the art computer the render times are only minimally longer than they would have been with the scene I loaded to test with. Right at 17 minutes vs 15. I obviously still need to sort out some of the lighting issues but it does not look like the learning curve will be too bad.

Iray_test_2.jpg
    526 x 526 - 127K
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    barbult said:

In other words, if you are familiar with Luxrender lighting then there will be no problems with setting up lights.

Here's a set of 'artist friendly' IES profiles to attach to those point lights...

http://www.derekjenson.com/3d-blog/ies-light-profiles

IES profiles are available from almost every light manufacturer's website. (It is what Architects use to design homes and every light manufacturer wants them to use their lights....)

http://renderman.pixar.com/view/DP25764 is a link for Pixar's set of IES light profiles as well.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    So Kat, your saying basically we have a built in Luxus rendering engine now. So if we choose to use 3Delight we can keep using Reality, Luxus and those specialty shader lights (which always confound me so I rarely do anyways) or we can use this new render engine (what's it's name again?) and have all that built in??

barbult said:

Ram - You will have the option to use either Iray and its feature set, or 3Delight and the lights, shaders etc you have invested in there. You may find things better in one over another. For example, toon rendering is not real world, so best left to 3Delight. So we are not removing choices. We're giving you more. :) You can still use all your 3Delight, Lux Render, Octane etc ...plugins as you need them. :)

Kat

edited December 1969

Thank you all for the responses on the AoA Advanced Lights. I've never used an unbiased render engine before, so it is all new to me! Thanks for the tips on adding the appropriate lights for Iray. I only have a 2GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 760, so I wonder if I will benefit much from the GPU render.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Thank you all for the responses on the AoA Advanced Lights. I've never used an unbiased render engine before, so it is all new to me! Thanks for the tips on adding the appropriate lights for Iray. I only have a 2GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 760, so I wonder if I will benefit much from the GPU render.
    When I first started testing this it was on a 2GB GTX 770 (on one machine.)

If you remember the following, The scene must fit on the 2GB available to the card in order to use it. Texture atlas is your friend. Close your web browser, turn off aero, turn off second monitors, and your scene must be fairly simple, then your card will help. If you want to do something a bit more complex, then you will be rendering CPU only. You will still get the same great results, it just won't be as fast as it could be with better hardware.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2015

IES profiles are available from almost every light manufacturer's website. (It is what Architects use to design homes and every light manufacturer wants them to use their lights....)

http://renderman.pixar.com/view/DP25764 is a link for Pixar's set of IES light profiles as well.

Spooky, the reason I posted those is that they are set up for easy use with nice little preview and easy to remember names. I use them quite a bit in Lux.

The Pixar set looks easy, too.

Lighting manufacturers...not so easy. Your average one has thousands of them and they are alpha-numeric coded, generally you need a stand alone previewer to decipher the mess.

It looks like I'm going to have to wait until it hits general release...I cannot get DIM to work on my set up, so no install. :-/

One question...does or will it use nk files for metals?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited March 2015

barbult said:

I just have a 770 2GB card myself. I am having good luck with it. But I am not loading a scene with 10 people and a dog. :) If I think it will be too big, I revert to CPU and wait a little extra time. No more really than I am used to waiting in 3Delight, with much better results with much less work. One thing about lights and Iray to keep in mind....With Iray you will see your render & know almost immediately if you need to make tweaks instead of hrs it may take 3Delight to finish to a point where you see a foot through a floor, or a light glare on a face. :) And if you add "re-rendering times" to the mix, Iray has cut my rendering times to a fraction - even the CPU renders.

Kat

Post edited by Katherine on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Spooky, the reason I posted those is that they are set up for easy use with nice little preview and easy to remember names. I use them quite a bit in Lux.

The Pixar set looks easy, too.

Lighting manufacturers...not so easy. Your average one has thousands of them and they are alpha-numeric coded, generally you need a stand alone previewer to decipher the mess.

It looks like I'm going to have to wait until it hits general release...I cannot get DIM to work on my set up, so no install. :-/

One question...does or will it use nk files for metals?
    http://www.photometricviewer.com/ One stand alone previewer. LOL Or just preview them in the Iray viewport.

Uses the Iray standard MDL (The equivalent of the Renderman RSL). I am not sure what NK is.

edited December 1969

Thanks again for the additional tips and experience with 2GB GPUs. If I check both GPU and CPU in the render settings, and the scene doesn't fit in the 2GB GPU memory, does it still use the GPU to help speed things up, or am I better off just selecting CPU only?

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Thanks again for the additional tips and experience with 2GB GPUs. If I check both GPU and CPU in the render settings, and the scene doesn't fit in the 2GB GPU memory, does it still use the GPU to help speed things up, or am I better off just selecting CPU only?

If you know it isn't going to fit, just go with CPU. :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...agh! got the numbers on the GPUs wrong, apologies.

However when it comes to Pure GPU rendering doesn't having more CUDA threads give better performance? The 780 only has 384 while the 970 has 1,664.

780 GTX has 2304 CUDA cores under the kepler architecture. The 970 GTX has 1664 under the Maxwell architecture. So you cannot really apples to apples with this. I can tell you that the 780 GTX dominated the 970 GTX in Octane, but I imagine that is not a straight comparison for Iray.
    ...screwed up on the GPU model and revised my post, meant to say 740s.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    As far as lighting, there is so much you have to do with 3Delight and other biased render engines to fake the way light works in the real world to get best results. With physically based rendering you have things you will want to unlearn. but things are much simpler to light. Look at a room. You have a sunny day outside, so you use the sun sky system. YCou have a lamp with a 100 watt/1700 lumen bulb turned on, so you give the bulb that number, etc. the render engine does the rest.

As a really simple example. I just took the mesh in the scene, chose the lights and turned them on, (using the emission shader and adjusting it for light values.

Walkingandtalking.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Appears that you will need an NVIDIA card
    Compatible cards listed here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

Look at the Advanced tab of Render Settings (with Iray set as the engine) - you can turn your GPU(s) and CPU on and off. It's not that impressed with my 1GB card - it managed a naked G2F, but failed with a slightly more complex scene, but I cans till run in CPU-only mode (which is of course slower).

...thank you. Guess no point in installing as I cannot afford a beefier Nvidia GPU than what I already have.

You will get the exact same final results with CPU - just not the same speed. :) I used it at work for awhile with just a Nvidia 260 and used the CPU. Still love it. :) At home I have a 770, but only 2GB. So, I will eventually want to upgrade, but again, trying it out here now - I am enjoying the results very much. :)

Kat

...how much slower? If it's Luxrender or even UE slow, than I'll stick to Reality/Lux as at least I don't have to keep the scene or even the Daz application open once the scene is sent to Lux.
    Depending on your lighting and scene, on average, abouot the same speed as 3Delight. (Note when I say that, I do mean you have to actually light your 3Delight scene, not just use the headlamp.)

Correct - comparing to a correctly lit 3delight scene, my stuff rendered about the same or a bit faster. But the result was better. So if you are looking for super fast, it will cost hardware. If you are looking for quality, well, that's why many of us have tried other renderers isn't it? Even the slow ones made us happy because we liked the results. :)

Kat
    ...however you still need to keep the scene and Daz application open until the rendering is complete whereas as I mentioned with Lux you can close everything once the render job is handed off.

You still have the ability to use Lux. :)
    ...yes, but what changes in Daz 4.8 may possibly cause conflicts with Reality4? Already seen that 4.7 created issues with AoA's Advanced light flagging, Atmospheric and Graphic Art cameras.