DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Testing some of my stuff... Using the lights I built in to Spa Sauna for use with Luxrender, Iray is doing a great job! And in minutes instead of hours.

SpaSauna.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited March 2015

Another completely new surface and material language to learn, greaaaaaat. I might not mind so much if every DAZ product came with proper MATs that never needed adjusting and now these new Iray MATs, but...pffft...haha....yeah.

edit: That is amazing Dumor. :)

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

I love the new Render Engine :)
    Even with my old GTX 570 and the i7 Quad (both active) its very fast.

Luxrender is a lot slower so far.

Sigh ok, a new Graphic Card next Month ;)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Restarted the pc, tried installing it in a different path etc. etc.
    Still it won't show me all the tabs.
    Going to catch some sleep now and try again tomorrow!
    This is so frustrating ><</p>

EDIT
    I always install Studio manually because I ran into problems when I let DIM do it.
    Is there no option for me to install 4.8 manually as well?

Not until 4.8 goes live. What have you defined to DIM as the 32-bit and 64-bit install directories? Note that, if you do install both flavors, these two paths MUST be different. DIM installs Studio to '\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build'.

As an example, I install to 'D:\bits-32' and 'D:\bits-64'.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    What about existing shader products... do they work with this new render engine? For example amazing skins.

Shaders are render engine specific. With those shaders that could be translated. we did our best, but most can not.

Note you can still use 3Delight, and in fact this beta does include a new build of 3Delight as well. :)

Hmmm, I'm actually in the middle of creating a bunch of shaders but using just the default surface tree for about 95% of them. So will shaders developed using a more basic shader tree work under the new rendering engine or will I need to start over or remake all of these? I'm up to about 300 shaders (release date unknown for now, esp now.... lol )

Looks like you guys took the next leap. From the renders I've seen so far.... color me impressed!

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,860
    edited December 1969

That spa looks great! So, as I´ve noticed, regular DS lights do not render and nor do the uber lights as expected.

So lighting scene in Iray will be via the sunk/sky feature and using mesh light with the emission shader.

Has anyone found out if there´s a way to light the scene with an HDR?

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited March 2015

namffuak said:
    Estroyer said:

EDIT
    I always install Studio manually because I ran into problems when I let DIM do it.

Not until 4.8 goes live. What have you defined to DIM as the 32-bit and 64-bit install directories? Note that, if you do install both flavors, these two paths MUST be different. DIM installs Studio to '\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build'.

Yup, that's all in order as well :)
    I am guessing it's a beta bug thingy?
    I so wanted to try the new render engine! *sobs*

EDIT
    Def. some bugs going on here.
    When I try different layouts some tabs aren't responding when I select them.

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    namffuak said:
    Estroyer said:

EDIT

It shouldn't affect the Content Library pane directly, but make sure that your copy of the beta has been properly serialised (that it knows it's DS 4 Pro, not standard or advanced). I guess it's possible if not that the layout may get confused.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

One thing to note, the progress bar doesn't go linearly - the percentage is the percentage of 95 (or whatever) percent converged, but as far as I can tell it gets faster on converging after a while so it may look as if it is going to take longer than it will if you follow the numbers in the early stages (I have Provence rendering now, it took ages to get over 1% converged and then fairly quickly romped up to 15% converged - though I'm still probably going to have to stop it since it's after midnight here).

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    namffuak said:
    Estroyer said:

EDIT

It shouldn't affect the Content Library pane directly, but make sure that your copy of the beta has been properly serialised (that it knows it's DS 4 Pro, not standard or advanced). I guess it's possible if not that the layout may get confused.

I re-entered the serial to be sure but the register tab already told me I was using Pro :)
    Should I make a ticket?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    namffuak said:
    Estroyer said:

EDIT

EDIT
    Def. some bugs going on here.
    When I try different layouts some tabs aren't responding when I select them.

OK - not sure where to go on this; I've got both the public beta and the current release installed with no issues. One key thing to keep in mind - they both share your CMS (Valentina or Postgres, whichever you are running) but all the other customization is separate between the two - you need to define your content directories to the public beta to find the content. And it does look like they've changed the default layouts on this one; I had to go back in and re-select my workspace and layout (got a render running, and my short-term memory is going south, so I don't remember the exact terminology). :-)

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    edited December 1969

This was done with an earlier version but I've been saving it for quite a while. One of my coworkers rendered this just to test the lighting but I think it looks fantastic so I wanted to share it.

It was originally rendered at 3840x2160 (4k) and is only lit by the point lights where the candle flames should be (ish).

I couldn't upload the original here, but if you want to see it I uploaded it to imgur over here Original Image, expand it to see it in it's full rez glory.

Dinner_table_small.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 317K
    edited December 1969

here a little test render (CPU / GPU)

CPU: Intel i7-4790K
    RAM: 16 GB
    GPU: GTX 570 2GB VRAM

Render Time: 20 min (ok, needs a little more but not to bad for this time)

4.8_test_1_CPU_GPU_20_min_.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Nice renders everyone! I´m trying to render a simple portrait, i only have one mesh light on the left but Im getting this crazy strong light so the scene is washed out, where is that light coming from?

stronglight.png
    650 x 841 - 559K
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Will we be able to do distributed rendering with Iray?

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    Nice renders everyone! I´m trying to render a simple portrait, i only have one mesh light on the left but Im getting this crazy strong light so the scene is washed out, where is that light coming from?

Did you turn off the head lamp?

edited December 1969

Which one? (Probably not): D

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited March 2015

Toyen said:

Load an HDR map in the Environment Map channel, make sure Environment Mode is set to either of the 2 Dome options.

Im getting this crazy strong light so the scene is washed out, where is that light coming from?

If you selet the Camera, you'll see Headlamp on the Parameters pane. Select that and change it to off, or reduce the Intensity.

Environment.jpg
    522 x 435 - 83K
    Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    edited December 1969

Oh got it thanks! : ) Now, how do I get rid of that little camera square that suddenly appeared and is visible in the render?

camerathing.png
    650 x 841 - 693K
  • KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    Gazukull said:
    I got my tab just fine... but why is there no content... lol

Are your content locations mapped?

Kat

I got it!!! It just got disappeared under here:

But I managed to get it back.... sorry for the n00bness.

Awesome! Glad you found it. :)

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    I am very curious as to how it will perform in comparison to my CPU rendering.
    My rig has a NVidia 780 GPU and a i7 4770k CPU.
    I'm definitely looking into SLI now!

We have the same setup :O

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

From a review on this new rendering engine from NVidia

All the tweaking like motion blur, SSS and special shaders is not supported by iray.

Were you guys able to overcome these concerns and issues to some degree or will using this engine cause SSS, Motion Blue and Specialty Shaders be an issue for the time being.... and if so then what is the work around for those that use all or some of those render enhancements?

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Alright folks. No excuses for bad quality renders anymore :)

How does the material system work for DS and iray now? Are there some presets that you can choose for iray specific materials or is this just a material conversion thing which takes the values from the regular DS shaders?

Also, please include a customizable timestamp like you can do it with v-ray, so you get some information for the renders as long as you dont do final renders. This would be extremely helpful in setting things up and optimizing render times etc.

edited March 2015

hm found a pdf file for Iray 3.
    (Getting Started with iray in 3ds Max 2014)

With SSS (with absorption....)

Post edited by Twilight76 on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    That spa looks great! So, as I´ve noticed, regular DS lights do not render and nor do the uber lights as expected.

So lighting scene in Iray will be via the sunk/sky feature and using mesh light with the emission shader.

HDR, go in the environment section on the render tab. Regular lights will work, somewhat, but since they are not realistic, they don't work as well. Under "Create" is a couple of new lights. Photomatric Spotlight and Potometric Point light, which are specifically for Iray. (ON the city limits lite default they show up on the bar). You can also illuminate a surface, planes, spheres, etc.
    Darius, HDRI only. (Speed test, it took 61 seconds to render)
    Presley, 4 photometric spotlights,
    Vanguard, Light up the lights with a shader and used an HDRI.
    Christina 3 Planes with an emmissive shader applied.
    LYChristina-Portrait.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    LYPresley_Lighttest.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Darius-Iray-61secs.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Vanguard2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

But where are the new iray specific shaders? Need to download something for the content library or should the already be available with the install of 4.8 beta?
    Or are they not yet included? I simply cannot find anything about that yet.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    From a review on this new rendering engine from NVidia

All the tweaking like motion blur, SSS and special shaders is not supported by iray.

Were you guys able to overcome these concerns and issues to some degree or will using this engine cause SSS, Motion Blue and Specialty Shaders be an issue for the time being.... and if so then what is the work around for those that use all or some of those render enhancements? What review?

SSS worked in Iray 2014 but they weren't happy with it. Note this is not Iray 2014. Shaders are render engine specific, what special shaders are you referring to?

Motion blur as it is referred to in CG is not a physically based effect. It, like having objects not cast shadows, is a Biased render engine trick. Do it like in the real world, Render several frames and composite in Photoshop, or similar. :)

edited December 1969

heinz0r said:
    But where are the new iray specific shaders? Need to download something for the content library or should the already be available with the install of 4.8 beta?

You need to install "Public Beta Iray Support Content"

edited December 1969

heinz0r said:
    Alright folks. No excuses for bad quality renders anymore :)

How does the material system work for DS and iray now? Are there some presets that you can choose for iray specific materials or is this just a material conversion thing which takes the values from the regular DS shaders?

Both
  • DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited March 2015

heinz0r said:

The shader and its presets can be found in DIM. They are in a package named "Public Beta Iray Support Content"

Post edited by DAZ_cjones on