DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

That's odd, I cannot get any tabs beside the ones that are shown in my pictures.
    I reinstalled it already, why is Studio hiding my tabs >>

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    Multiple GPU's and network rendering I hope. My Octane setup is 8 x 780's and 4 x Tesla M2090's. I would love to use Studios built in engine on existing hardware. Not alot of info on this new tech seems available.
    Quadro and tesla cards get along just fine. Geforce only get along with other Geforce cards. (Driver conflicts.)

No network rendering at this time.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,860
    edited December 1969

I see, shame I can´t see how much time´s left since the render view is blocking that slider. But at least I can tell by how noisy the image looks whether it´s ready or not : )

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Estroyer said:
    I am unable to find the content library tab in 4.8
    Has it been replaced?
    The list of tabs has been shortened a lot :O

In the default layout (or at least, the layout that loads for me) it is docked in the same group as Smart Content. Try reloading your layout if you can't see it (remember that beta and production will have separate layouts).

This is my view, I really feel lost lol
    Can you point out as to where I should be looking?
    I usually just right click and add it so other methods are unknown by me ><</div>You didn't happen to have DAZ Studio open when you installed the Beta did you?

edited March 2015

Estroyer said:
    Estroyer said:
    I am unable to find the content library tab in 4.8
    Has it been replaced?
    The list of tabs has been shortened a lot :O

In the default layout (or at least, the layout that loads for me) it is docked in the same group as Smart Content. Try reloading your layout if you can't see it (remember that beta and production will have separate layouts).

This is my view, I really feel lost lol
    Can you point out as to where I should be looking?
    I usually just right click and add it so other methods are unknown by me ><</div>You didn't happen to have DAZ Studio open when you installed the Beta did you?

Oh erm, I did as I am working on something...let me retry...

EDIT
    Closed everything down, uninstalled and reinstalled: no difference.

NOPE.png
    1894 x 1037 - 171K
    Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    So I´m rendering my first Iray picture right now. Is it like luxrender that it will keep rendering forever?
    No there are three conditions under which it will stop. Total number of iterations, Total amount of time (in seconds). Total convergence. Whichever happens first. All of those can be adjusted.

Also on hte render progress window you can hit cancel if you think it is done, and then save the image.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2015

I moved my Iray image over to the to the Unbiased Render thread...

Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    I got my tab just fine... but why is there no content... lol
    Ah, I am guessing you have your content in non-default locations. Note the Beta and the release version do not share preferences, so you can have them both installed atthe same time. You will have to map your content directories.
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

What about existing shader products... do they work with this new render engine? For example amazing skins.

• GazukullGazukull Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    I got my tab just fine... but why is there no content... lol

Are your content locations mapped?

Kat

I got it!!! It just got disappeared under here:

But I managed to get it back.... sorry for the n00bness.

whyno.jpg
    919 x 675 - 85K
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    So I´m rendering my first Iray picture right now. Is it like luxrender that it will keep rendering forever?

It will stop at about 95% convergence. While it "can" continue to render, we put dome default stopping points in there. :) They can be adjusted to your personal liking for an image.

Kat

If you look at the render tab with Iray selected You'll find a 'max samples' and a 'Max Time' - it looks like the default is to run to 95%, as Kat said, or for 5000 samples (iterations?) or for 2 hours (7200 seconds); presumably the first reached will terminate the render.

I just got this downloaded and installed - need to see what I can do tonight with a GT 740 (4 GB, but only 384 cores :-( ).

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

Whoop whoop whoop! *Does the unbiased render dance* Let's try it with a Constrictor promo.

I turned off the CPU and let my two GTX 740s and two GTX 980's work on this without it. It took about 7 minutes at this 1000x1300 size. This is four 4 gb cards, although the 980's are so far out ahead that turning off the 740's doesn't slow things down that much. One of them pretty much is just running my display according to the way GPU-Z behaves.

I tried it with the CPU on too, but it actually slowed way down.

Iray_Snake_Test.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Is there any info on how Studio is converting shaders to IRay? Does IRay itself grok Renderman so it can mostly just pass the same stuff it generated for 3Delight to IRay? Or does it have its own entirely unique shader language, and so Studio is having to convert stuff and how much control do we have over that conversion? E.g., look at any of the other exporters (Reality, Octane, etc) -- they provide default conversions based on edumikated interpretations of the Studio shader settings, but still require tweaking to get the best results out of the native rendering engine. Especially converting to native materials like metal and glass.

If Studio is doing conversions, then what is supported? E.g., DAZ is providing default translators for DzDefaultMaterial, UE2, AoA (I'm assuming, since a lot of recent characters have switched to this even though it is a ShaderMixer network)? Anything else? What about any old arbitrary custom ShaderMixer network (e.g., Parris' Bot stuff)?

Does IRay do hybrid GPU mode (so you don't need massive amounts of VRAM to load all the textures)?

Course, this is unlikely to get me to change my workflow (Studio -> Reality -> LuxRender) since I don't have an nVidia GPU and don't plan to switch anytime soon.

edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    Multiple GPU's and network rendering I hope. My Octane setup is 8 x 780's and 4 x Tesla M2090's. I would love to use Studios built in engine on existing hardware. Not alot of info on this new tech seems available.
    Quadro and tesla cards get along just fine. Geforce only get along with other Geforce cards. (Driver conflicts.)

Yeah, the workstation I am sitting on at this moment is my 4 x Tesla. I selected only the Tesla's in the advanced settings, but while rendering my CPU is pegged @ 100%. Any ideas?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...and how much GPU horsepower will it need?
    None.(Yes that is right, none.)

If you can run 64 bit DAZ Studio, you can use the Iray render engine. If you want the most performance out of it then NVIDIA cards (we recommend a minimum of 4GB of Video RAM on the card) will increase your performance significantly. And it scales, the more hardware you throw at it, the better it performs, but even if you get no hardware you get the same great renders.

...well that's 340$ which I don't have (GTX970). According to Richard, he could barely render a single naked Vicky with 1GB of VRAM.

I tend to do some very involved scenes.GTS 740 with 4GB of RAM is around $100. (Didn't we have that conversation a few months ago?)
    ...just went to Newegg: 339$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487088

edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    What about existing shader products... do they work with this new render engine? For example amazing skins.

Shaders are render engine specific. With those shaders that could be translated. we did our best, but most can not.

Note you can still use 3Delight, and in fact this beta does include a new build of 3Delight as well. :)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Appears that you will need an NVIDIA card
    Compatible cards listed here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

Look at the Advanced tab of Render Settings (with Iray set as the engine) - you can turn your GPU(s) and CPU on and off. It's not that impressed with my 1GB card - it managed a naked G2F, but failed with a slightly more complex scene, but I cans till run in CPU-only mode (which is of course slower).

...thank you. Guess no point in installing as I cannot afford a beefier Nvidia GPU than what I already have.

You will get the exact same final results with CPU - just not the same speed. :) I used it at work for awhile with just a Nvidia 260 and used the CPU. Still love it. :) At home I have a 770, but only 2GB. So, I will eventually want to upgrade, but again, trying it out here now - I am enjoying the results very much. :)

Kat

...how much slower? If it's Luxrender or even UE slow, than I'll stick to Reality/Lux as at least I don't have to keep the scene or even the Daz application open once the scene is sent to Lux. Depending on your lighting and scene, on average, abouot the same speed as 3Delight. (Note when I say that, I do mean you have to actually light your 3Delight scene, not just use the headlamp.)

Correct - comparing to a correctly lit 3delight scene, my stuff rendered about the same or a bit faster. But the result was better. So if you are looking for super fast, it will cost hardware. If you are looking for quality, well, that's why many of us have tried other renderers isn't it? Even the slow ones made us happy because we liked the results. :)

Kat
    ...however you still need to keep the scene and Daz application open until the rendering is complete whereas as I mentioned with Lux you can close everything once the render job is handed off.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...and how much GPU horsepower will it need?
    None.(Yes that is right, none.)

If you can run 64 bit DAZ Studio, you can use the Iray render engine. If you want the most performance out of it then NVIDIA cards (we recommend a minimum of 4GB of Video RAM on the card) will increase your performance significantly. And it scales, the more hardware you throw at it, the better it performs, but even if you get no hardware you get the same great renders.

...well that's 340$ which I don't have (GTX970). According to Richard, he could barely render a single naked Vicky with 1GB of VRAM.

I tend to do some very involved scenes.

GTS 740 with 4GB of RAM is around $100. (Didn't we have that conversation a few months ago?)
    ...just went to Newegg: 339$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487088

You really don't want to go at this with one 740 if you can get one or more 980's instead. I can tell you that right now just from unchecking different stuff on my own system. But if you've got $100 to spend ($120 actually), don't get that 740, get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487047

edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    Gazukull said:

Yeah, the workstation I am sitting on at this moment is my 4 x Tesla. I selected only the Tesla's in the advanced settings, but while rendering my CPU is pegged @ 100%. Any ideas?Not sure, and without more information I can guess, but I would probably be wrong. Could you please open a support ticket, and include the DS log, a scene file that does this and a list of what is in the scene.

Thanks.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,860
    edited December 1969

My first render with Iray. Sky set to 4 PM + one mesh light with the emission Iray shader.

All the lights have default settings, I only applied the Iray skin preset to Lilith.

Took about 30 minutes. Still a bit noisy, should have turned the quality up : )

Sickle, your constrictor looks AMAZING!

lilith.png
    1000 x 563 - 679K
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    My first render with Iray. Sky set to 4 PM + one mesh light with the emission Iray shader.

All the lights have default settings, I only applied the Iray skin preset to Lilith.

Thanks!!

Good start. If you have a good graphics card (or more than one) uncheck your CPU, in my testing that actually goes faster.

edited March 2015

...agh! got the numbers on the GPUs wrong, apologies.

However when it comes to Pure GPU rendering doesn't having more CUDA threads give better performance? The 740 only has 384 while the 970 has 1,664.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    Gazukull said:

Yeah, the workstation I am sitting on at this moment is my 4 x Tesla. I selected only the Tesla's in the advanced settings, but while rendering my CPU is pegged @ 100%. Any ideas?Not sure, and without more information I can guess, but I would probably be wrong. Could you please open a support ticket, and include the DS log, a scene file that does this and a list of what is in the scene.

Thanks.

Well... actually it looks like it is only using the CPU for Iray and not the Tesla's. Let me start a ticket, I can include the DS log and a GPU-Z screen capture. I was using all 4 cards in Octane just before this thread started, so the hardware works. Just maybe not with Iray just yet. In my mind, probably a driver issue...

edited March 2015

Kyoto Kid said:

However when it comes to Pure GPU rendering doesn't having more CUDA threads give better performance? The 780 only has 384 while the 970 has 1,664.

Derp! I thought you linked another model of 700 and something. Yes, a 970 is definitely a better choice than a 740 if you can afford it, and yes, more CUDA threads is better as I understand it so far.

I'm out about $1k for my two GTX 980's and about $250 for the two 740's. The 740's do not even come close to the performance of the other two, unfortunately.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

However when it comes to Pure GPU rendering doesn't having more CUDA threads give better performance? The 780 only has 384 while the 970 has 1,664.

780 GTX has 2304 CUDA cores under the kepler architecture. The 970 GTX has 1664 under the Maxwell architecture. So you cannot really apples to apples with this. I can tell you that the 780 GTX dominated the 970 GTX in Octane, but I imagine that is not a straight comparison for Iray.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    iRay image posted to the Unbiased Render thread...

Very nice! :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

As Spooky was saying in another recent thread, you can have more than one video card (non-SLI/Crossfire) and let one, lower end, do the display while another, higher end, does rendering (I guess Iray is why he was mentioning that).

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Appears that you will need an NVIDIA card
    Compatible cards listed here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

Look at the Advanced tab of Render Settings (with Iray set as the engine) - you can turn your GPU(s) and CPU on and off. It's not that impressed with my 1GB card - it managed a naked G2F, but failed with a slightly more complex scene, but I cans till run in CPU-only mode (which is of course slower).

...thank you. Guess no point in installing as I cannot afford a beefier Nvidia GPU than what I already have.

You will get the exact same final results with CPU - just not the same speed. :) I used it at work for awhile with just a Nvidia 260 and used the CPU. Still love it. :) At home I have a 770, but only 2GB. So, I will eventually want to upgrade, but again, trying it out here now - I am enjoying the results very much. :)

Kat

...how much slower? If it's Luxrender or even UE slow, than I'll stick to Reality/Lux as at least I don't have to keep the scene or even the Daz application open once the scene is sent to Lux. Depending on your lighting and scene, on average, abouot the same speed as 3Delight. (Note when I say that, I do mean you have to actually light your 3Delight scene, not just use the headlamp.)

Correct - comparing to a correctly lit 3delight scene, my stuff rendered about the same or a bit faster. But the result was better. So if you are looking for super fast, it will cost hardware. If you are looking for quality, well, that's why many of us have tried other renderers isn't it? Even the slow ones made us happy because we liked the results. :)

Kat
    ...however you still need to keep the scene and Daz application open until the rendering is complete whereas as I mentioned with Lux you can close everything once the render job is handed off.

You still have the ability to use Lux. :)

edited December 1969

Toyen said:

That looks great :)

edited March 2015

Restarted the pc, tried installing it in a different path etc. etc.
    Still it won't show me all the tabs.
    Going to catch some sleep now and try again tomorrow!
    This is so frustrating ><</p>

EDIT
    I always install Studio manually because I ran into problems when I let DIM do it.
    Is there no option for me to install 4.8 manually as well?

Post edited by Sylvan on