DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited December 1969

I am unable to find the content library tab in 4.8
    Has it been replaced?
    The list of tabs has been shortened a lot :O

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    By render I mean display, it builds up the scene and calculates light in viewport. You still have to hit render. I don't know if you can assign particulars (eg selective cards) just for viewport. I think it uses all selected at this stage.

As far as I understand it, the Iray preview is not required to do an Iray render (fortunately since trying to use the preview brings my system to its knees). Obviously, if you can use the preview it will help with composition but it isn't essential to the process.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...and how much GPU horsepower will it need?
    None.(Yes that is right, none.)

If you can run 64 bit DAZ Studio, you can use the Iray render engine. If you want the most performance out of it then NVIDIA cards (we recommend a minimum of 4GB of Video RAM on the card) will increase your performance significantly. And it scales, the more hardware you throw at it, the better it performs, but even if you get no hardware you get the same great renders.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Specs etc are coming. And just remember, if you do not meet requirements for the card, it will render on the CPU But, you will get the features and quality of Iray - the render will be exactly the same - on just CPU.....and it is about the same speed as 3Delight if it were utilizing UberEnvironment, raytracing, etc....

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

I have a pair of 2GB GTX660s with monitors attached and a pair of 4GB GTX980s. At the moment, I'm rendering a fairly large scene using CPU and the 2 980s and it's kicking butt. I'm all but positive the 2gb would be too little for this scene. It looks like OpenGL is running off the 660s, so I guess Windows runs OpenGL based on which card has a monitor attached? Moving around the scene is easy. In photoreal nvidia mode, it is a bit slow... but gee. I never even dreamed of being about to rotate a render like this in nearly realtime and photoreal. Awesome job Nvidia and DAZ!

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Has it been replaced?

In the default layout (or at least, the layout that loads for me) it is docked in the same group as Smart Content. Try reloading your layout if you can't see it (remember that beta and production will have separate layouts).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Appears that you will need an NVIDIA card
    Compatible cards listed here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

Look at the Advanced tab of Render Settings (with Iray set as the engine) - you can turn your GPU(s) and CPU on and off. It's not that impressed with my 1GB card - it managed a naked G2F, but failed with a slightly more complex scene, but I cans till run in CPU-only mode (which is of course slower).
    ...thank you. Guess no point in installing as I cannot afford a beefier Nvidia GPU than what I already have.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Looking forward to seeing the first renders from people using it :D

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Has it been replaced?

If you are missing or want any additional tabs, just look under Window->Panes. After you click on one, you can drag it over to dock it as a tab.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Trying to set up a scene right now! : ) With Lilith

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    anyone know of minimum specs to be able to use this nvidia iray? (i'm a complete noob when it comes to tech stuff like this and don't quite understand a lot of it LOL...just wondering if we'll have to upgrade or anything to utilize it)

If your computer runs 64 bit DS it will run Iray. We do recommend a minimum of 4GB of Video ram on an NVIDIA card (or more than one card) to take best advantage of its capabilities, but you get the same renders with or without graphics cards.

In fact one member of my team has run the entire test period with an Intel HD graphics chip on his i7 processor to test this render engine.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Look at the Advanced tab of Render Settings (with Iray set as the engine) - you can turn your GPU(s) and CPU on and off. It's not that impressed with my 1GB card - it managed a naked G2F, but failed with a slightly more complex scene, but I cans till run in CPU-only mode (which is of course slower).

...thank you. Guess no point in installing as I cannot afford a beefier Nvidia GPU than what I already have.

You will get the exact same final results with CPU - just not the same speed. :) I used it at work for awhile with just a Nvidia 260 and used the CPU. Still love it. :) At home I have a 770, but only 2GB. So, I will eventually want to upgrade, but again, trying it out here now - I am enjoying the results very much. :)

Kat

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:

There are a few here Jaki http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50021/P330/#777440

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Has it been replaced?

In the default layout (or at least, the layout that loads for me) it is docked in the same group as Smart Content. Try reloading your layout if you can't see it (remember that beta and production will have separate layouts).

This is my view, I really feel lost lol
    Can you point out as to where I should be looking?
    I usually just right click and add it so other methods are unknown by me ><</p>

NV.png
    872 x 1086 - 201K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    jakiblue said:

There are a few here Jaki http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50021/P330/#777440

Thanks Chohole! :D

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

If you can run 64 bit DAZ Studio, you can use the Iray render engine. If you want the most performance out of it then NVIDIA cards (we recommend a minimum of 4GB of Video RAM on the card) will increase your performance significantly. And it scales, the more hardware you throw at it, the better it performs, but even if you get no hardware you get the same great renders.
    ...well that's 340$ which I don't have (GTX970). According to Richard, he could barely render a single naked Vicky with 1GB of VRAM.

I tend to do some very involved scenes.

edited December 1969

Dumor3D said:
    Estroyer said:
    Has it been replaced?

If you are missing or want any additional tabs, just look under Window->Panes. After you click on one, you can drag it over to dock it as a tab.

I looked but no content tab :(

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Estroyer said:
    Has it been replaced?

I usually just right click and add it so other methods are unknown by me ><</div>

It looks as if you have rearranged the interface - by default, wity that layout, you'd have Smart Content there and the Content Library reduced to a tab on the right side of the viewport. You may want to reload the layout - Window>Workspace>Select Layout....

edited March 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...well that's 340$ which I don't have (GTX970). According to Richard, he could barely render a single naked Vicky with 1GB of VRAM.

I tend to do some very involved scenes.

My GPU could barely render a single naked G2f - turning the GPU off and just using CPU I was able to do a quick render of a scene with a dressed G2F in the Ruins of Ankor Wat.

IrayDevices.JPG
    517 x 398 - 30K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Estroyer said:
    Has it been replaced?

I usually just right click and add it so other methods are unknown by me ><</div>

It looks as if you have rearranged the interface - by default, wity that layout, you'd have Smart Content there and the Content Library reduced to a tab on the right side of the viewport. You may want to reload the layout - Window>Workspace>Select Layout....

Thanks Richard but I already tried that ><<br /> Also, I have not touched anything whatsoever.
    This is how the interface looks for me by default...

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

You will get the exact same final results with CPU - just not the same speed. :) I used it at work for awhile with just a Nvidia 260 and used the CPU. Still love it. :) At home I have a 770, but only 2GB. So, I will eventually want to upgrade, but again, trying it out here now - I am enjoying the results very much. :)

Kat
    ...how much slower? If it's Luxrender or even UE slow, than I'll stick to Reality/Lux as at least I don't have to keep the scene or even the Daz application open once the scene is sent to Lux.

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Some have already been posted to the Unbiased Render thread.

But just a couple. for you.
    The one with the droids is using some of the included car paint shaders, lit with an HDRI..
    The one with Little Devil, a little dark, but lit with the candles.

LilDevilIray.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Droids.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Kat
    ...how much slower? If it's Luxrender or even UE slow, than I'll stick to Reality/Lux as at least I don't have to keep the scene or even the Daz application open once the scene is sent to Lux.

It wasn't that slow, it was a bit slower than the 3Delight rendered version for my Ankor Wat scene (but faster than using some more advanced light settings which were closer to what Iray was doing). I don't think you'd be looking at day-long renders for most things, unless they took that order of time in 3Delight.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Kat
    ...how much slower? If it's Luxrender or even UE slow, than I'll stick to Reality/Lux as at least I don't have to keep the scene or even the Daz application open once the scene is sent to Lux. Depending on your lighting and scene, on average, abouot the same speed as 3Delight. (Note when I say that, I do mean you have to actually light your 3Delight scene, not just use the headlamp.)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I tend to do some very involved scenes.GTS 740 with 4GB of RAM is around $100. (Didn't we have that conversation a few months ago?)

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

So I´m rendering my first Iray picture right now. Is it like luxrender that it will keep rendering forever?

• GazukullGazukull Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

I got my tab just fine... but why is there no content... lol

whynocontent.jpg
    1920 x 1105 - 298K
    whynocontent2.jpg
    1920 x 1110 - 310K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Kat
    ...how much slower? If it's Luxrender or even UE slow, than I'll stick to Reality/Lux as at least I don't have to keep the scene or even the Daz application open once the scene is sent to Lux. Depending on your lighting and scene, on average, abouot the same speed as 3Delight. (Note when I say that, I do mean you have to actually light your 3Delight scene, not just use the headlamp.)

Correct - comparing to a correctly lit 3delight scene, my stuff rendered about the same or a bit faster. But the result was better. So if you are looking for super fast, it will cost hardware. If you are looking for quality, well, that's why many of us have tried other renderers isn't it? Even the slow ones made us happy because we liked the results. :)

Kat

edited March 2015

Toyen said:
    So I´m rendering my first Iray picture right now. Is it like luxrender that it will keep rendering forever?

It will stop at about 95% convergence. While it "can" continue to render, we put dome default stopping points in there. :) They can be adjusted to your personal liking for an image.

Kat

Post edited by Katherine on
    edited December 1969

Gazukull said:
    I got my tab just fine... but why is there no content... lol

Are your content locations mapped?

Kat