ZDG random Daz Studio discoveries and questions.

Comments

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335
    edited December 1969

Thank you zarcon, i found this to be extremely helpful.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

Thanks magnumdaz. Off the top of my head, that lineup is missing "The Girl 6", and I don't know whom else yet. I'm kind of doing a rushed inventory from (EDIT, three not two) days ago, And it was not a small order to put it lightly, lol.

That one "NA" spot in the second render I had decided to reserve for "Gianni 6", he seamed like a good match for Olympia.
    (EDIT2) :red:
    I guess March madness got to me as well, as I sing that song. I'm a dumb... , been work-en at it my whole life.
    So I inadvertently purchased FW Neomi twice, in the same order at that. lol. The bigger question is, is it worth the hassle to try to explain this to Daz3d, or just keep it in the "I'm an idiot" collection, lol.
    (EDIT3. Gia6 was on sale, and FW Neomi was on sale. Combined, it is still a good price, It's just funny.)
    (EDIT4, 06Mar2015 21:24utc)
    And I also must ponder, how many products have been updated to work on G2F, and the pages not updated as well. I know I used the Jogger in that lineup on the former page, so this is probably a typo or a forgotten detail.

20150306_OutfitForWhom_001.png
    942 x 966 - 623K
    20150306_OrderMistake_001.png
    1385 x 908 - 436K
    20150306_InvintoryAndStuff_001.png
    1455 x 927 - 218K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited March 2015

Gia6 and Stephanie6, The tragedy of the promos.
    If it was not entirely apparent from my moment of idiocy in my former post. The only reason I got Gia6, was for FW Neomi, and possibly a few other figures still somewhere in my wish list. The Pro bundle dose have some tempting outfits, and hair styles as well. Tho it is important to go back almost a year at this point to fully understand what the 'Tragedy' is.

My initial interest was in mid-toned figures, like FWSA Wachiwi. I had sifted threw the store looking at promos, and purchased many figures, and time and time again, they ended up being much paler then the promos showed them as. Victoria6, Olympia6, etc, etc, etc.

After that string of figures not being like the promos, I had completely given up, and reevaluated my wish-list completely. In fact, if it was not for FW Neomi, Gia6 would have been removed from my wish list entirely. Her promos did not show her to be any different from the flood of other figures I had gotten. And that is the tragedy, that she is in fact much more tanned then the promos next to V6 and the others make her appear to be.

Stephanie6 was simply a toss in the shopping cart when I got Lee6, as there was a few figures I wanted that required her. I never bothered to do a render with her before that lineup, mostly because of the flood of stuff I had to sift threw, and I did not expect anything different from Victoria6 and Olympia6.

I would have paid full non-PC+ price for both Pro packs, months ago, instead of the Fast Grab sale a few days ago (and during the Lee6 release).
    (EDIT)
    Some of these are quite close to the promos, others not so much, and this is just a sampling. Yes lights can make that much of a difference, looking back at some of my former renders of them. I think I had set the lights way to bright for one figure, and assumed it should be at that brightness for the rest, before making that color cube and starting to work with Amazing Skins. That kind of required calibrated lights to put it lightly, something I did not have starting out.
    (EDIT 07mar2015 20:16utc)
    This post did end on a far more negative tone then I intended it to be, Sorry.

F_GF_mid1800_001.jpg
    1800 x 930 - 1M
    F_G2F_top1800_001.jpg
    1800 x 930 - 1M
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I found this very interesting, ZDG. Amazing what a difference the promo lighting makes. Also makeup and even hairstyle. For instance, Brijitte is transformed without that heavy makeup.

Nidale has a lovely skintone but definitely appears lighter in the promo from the way she has been lit (she's one of my favourite G2F characters though).

I didn't get Eve when she released (or many other G2F characters for that matter) but she has always captivated me in your renders. I know you use her a lot and she always renders beautifully in your work. I kind of associate her with you now, but will have to get her myself one of these days.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    I found this very interesting, ZDG. Amazing what a difference the promo lighting makes. Also makeup and even hairstyle. For instance, Brijitte is transformed without that heavy makeup.

Nidale has a lovely skintone but definitely appears lighter in the promo from the way she has been lit (she's one of my favourite G2F characters though).

I didn't get Eve when she released (or many other G2F characters for that matter) but she has always captivated me in your renders. I know you use her a lot and she always renders beautifully in your work. I kind of associate her with you now, but will have to get her myself one of these days.

I'm really enjoying your lineups. Great idea!

edited March 2015

AtticAnne said:
    Jindi said:

Nidale has a lovely skin-tone but definitely appears lighter in the promo from the way she has been lit (she's one of my favorite G2F characters though).

I'm really enjoying your lineups. Great idea!thanks Jindi and AtticAnne. I was thinking something kind of funny after looking at that lineup, Brijitte snuck in when they were doing Yasmin's promos, lol. Nidale and Eve are in some kind of scheme do the others promos behind the PA's back, lol.

So that was my starting Line-up before O6;
    Wachiwi and V6 (minimum). Jaylia, Maggie, Eve (just her). Phoebe and her hair, Yasmin. etc. And that was before knowing IF CG was anything I wanted to do full time, lol.

Now in defense of Fred, countess, and Silver. Eve is a night fairy, and the promos were done in moon/star light, where as Nidale was done in the old tv recording studios mimicking a tropical day under a sun at the height of a solar cycle. (Two extremes of lighting), most the others are colored a tad by gelled lights, tho rather close, As long as you don't try to put them under Nidale's lights, oops. "O" and I didn't know what UE2 was back then, I just put lots of super dim spots everywhere, lol.

I'm still in a bit of shell-shock over Stephanie, as she is another Nidale of sorts, much darker then the promos make her out to be, compared to the promos for the other figures.

S6_vs_O6_vs_G6_001.jpg
    1920 x 1170 - 1M
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2015

I'm still in a bit of shell-shock over Stephanie, as she is another Nidale of sorts, much darker then the promos make her out to be, compared to the promos for the other figures.

Yeah, she is surprisingly dark, which is great as far as versatility is concerned. See examples below (S6 shape with some extra face morphs dialed, default texture but some changes of skin settings in the Surfaces pane)
    s6-sickle1a.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 461K
    s6-asian1a.jpg
    900 x 900 - 332K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Scott, I love the braids, and that shirt. That is something I guess I don't need to make now, that patron based off of a ZDG Cloth weave, I still have others in mind.

And on that note of not knowing lights back then, allot of generation 5 figures still have me baffled. FW Yasmin, Brijitte, Aoiri, Evelyn, etc.

They do not have a Smart tab (load everything from scratch) duf, and there is Genesis vs Basic-Female. I'm sure I messed up with Yasmin, as that was from the "Basic Female", not unisex Genesis.

Aoiri has four different body shapes, and four different head shapes, and I have no clue what one is what, lol.

Aoiri_Options_001.png
    1423 x 1002 - 75K
    edited December 1969

Thank you. The hair is Wild Dreads. Poser mats only, so it takes some work to get it looking good in DS (I think the bump maps and/or displacement maps need to be added manually, as I recall). I forget which shirt I used (I think it came from SickleYield's Wizard outfit, actually) but the shader comes from Totally Bazaar.

edited December 1969

And on that note of not knowing lights back then, allot of generation 5 figures still have me baffled. FW Yasmin, Brijitte, Aoiri, Evelyn, etc.

They do not have a Smart tab (load everything from scratch) duf, and there is Genesis vs Basic-Female. I'm sure I messed up with Yasmin, as that was from the "Basic Female", not unisex Genesis.

Aoiri has four different body shapes, and four different head shapes, and I have no clue what one is what, lol.

Yeah, that can be a little confusing. I don't think I have any of the ones you mentioned or I'd check them for you. Characters that are "V4 and Genesis" characters likely need the V4 shape, rather than Basic Female (though that would likely work in a pinch, if you don't own the V4 shape).
    edited March 2015

Yeah, that can be a little confusing. I don't think I have any of the ones you mentioned or I'd check them for you. Characters that are "V4 and Genesis" characters likely need the V4 shape, rather than Basic Female (though that would likely work in a pinch, if you don't own the V4 shape).I completely forgot about that dimension, lol. I don't have GenX, I do have the rest from my former failed attempts of getting Natasha's mats from V4 over to G2F. (It finally worked using DragonStorm's script)

ah, the dreaded CR2 and PZ2 importing into Studio. I've decided that if it involves proximity to the neck and is only for generation 4, the geometry will fold up irrevocably on G2F. It's easier and with better results, to throw it out and start from scratch in Hex. lol. (Yes I'm trying to keep names out of this).

Shaders, so I'm still safe working on a few south American patrons of sorts. I had made quite a few patrons over in my paints and brushes thread, and then that 'Fun with yarn' came out, that had me pause with concerns of duplicated efforts. That Totally Bazaar Bundle, dose look like a nice set. I'm curious how much of that is from the 'Commercialized' patrons, vs the more Family Name based patrons.

edited March 2015

A little something as I sift threw many things. This started out just trying to get the front braids behind the shoulders. So much for that, how about twisting in a dance pose.

http://www.daz3d.com/gogo-for-mei-lin-6
    http://www.daz3d.com/medea-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s-and-victoria-4
    http://www.daz3d.com/j-girl-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/ghawazee-coat-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/ballerina-outfit-for-genesis-2-female-s

There is an add-on for the hair I have yet to install and try... well over ninety items, I've yet to install and try out. This may take a wile.
    http://www.daz3d.com/medea-hair-add-on-for-genesis-2-female-s-and-victoria-4

20150307_Gogo_NewHair_Test001007_hairSettings.png
    1924 x 1176 - 669K
    20150307_Gogo_NewHair_Test001007c09.jpg
    1050 x 1400 - 452K
    20150307_Gogo_NewHair_Test001003c09.jpg
    1050 x 1400 - 486K
    edited March 2015

Some notes as things progress.
    That add-on bundle only appears to be a few 'cosmetic' ad-on props for the Medeal hair. I'm not seeing any new dials, let alone any to get the hair completely behind the shoulders.

As for Vidal hair. It stays on the front, tho you can have it loop behind the ears on it's way down the front. oddly the swing forward/back dial, is limited at -0.5 and any further then that and things become a mess. So both dials are useless for getting all the hair behind the shoulders.

Also with the Vidal hair, the "wrapLeftEar" and "wrapRightEar" appears to do nothing at all. odd.

"O" I've done it again to Eve, she is yet again with something that is broken, lol.

I thought I had a third style floating around, I've yet to locate it, or possibly it was something I had seen in the store that I never got (possibly not even for G2F at all)

Vildal_WrapRightEar_AndLeft_DoseNothing_001.png
    1563 x 695 - 309K
    Vildal_NotCompletely_001.png
    1563 x 695 - 313K
    edited March 2015

It is finally above zero! well, it is above freezing, and guess whom wants to come out to soak up some sun-rays, not your normal figures.
    :coolsmile: http://www.daz3d.com/the-constrictor

This is how they load into a scene, except my moving them to the side so there not all on world-center. I am quite impressed with how easy this was, I didn't even need to open up the Content Library at all. There is a separate "Load everything from scratch" preset in the smart tab for them. There was two others, tho these appeared to have 'Names'.

And the Pose Presets, I think we have a winner! The preset while articulating the snakes, does not send them off to the other side of the scene. Well probably a bad thing, If you enjoy the game called "Where did that Pose Preset send my figure this time", lol.
    (edit)
    I will add, they are far more photogenic then the squares around here, lol.

20150308_DazLineup_Snakes001002.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 1M
    TheConstrictor_posePresets_001.png
    1903 x 773 - 487K
    20150308_DazLineup_Snakes001001.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 1M
    edited March 2015

A few funny notes as I try to find stuff, lol.

Well the "Furnishings" preset obviously dose not load the entire "Sci Fi Outpost" set. I still don't even know if it came with a sky-dome or not... And now somewhere in there, is a lemonade stand, lol.
    http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-outpost
    http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-outpost-props

"O" in separate news, that Steampunk Hideaway is fantastic looking. I have ideas already for that.
    http://www.daz3d.com/steam-punk-hide-away

20150308_SteamPunkHideAway_pr001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 769K
    NewSet_Blupers_001b.png
    1924 x 1176 - 882K
    NewSet_Blupers_001a.png
    1871 x 695 - 548K
    edited March 2015

Note to self, when shrinking huge things to tiny size. Make sure the displacement min/max is adjusted accordingly, lol.
    (Posted, then yanked from the gallery, as it dose not accurately show how the houses look at full size)
    The story is still unchanged...

Aiyana; They look so real, what kind of projection-chip are they using?

Alisra; My doughtier Kari, has been playing with a surgeons-laser-scalpel and chunks of space-rock. There not hollow-projections.

Wachiwi; My grandfather use to have two-dee images on something called a 'computer'. They were of a place on Earth that had structures just like these. He said People use to live on Earth in dwellings like that, over thirty thousand years ago.

Kari; I told you Earth was not a fantasy mom.

(Edit by my brother)
    *Announcer voice* "Many years into the future.....we still have solo cups."
    (EDIT)
    Final version posted here in my daz gallery
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/59983

20150308_JindiHouses_001023c14_Render_2.jpg
    1600 x 1400 - 2M
    20150308_JindiHouses_001018c14_Render_1.jpg
    1600 x 1400 - 2M
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

This is what's so great about seeing something in the hands of other people... this is such a clever concept ZDG. I love what you've done here, the girls and story too. Especially like the work in progress model Kari is holding, nice touch!

edited March 2015

Thanks for the kind words Jindi (and FirstBastion). I was revisiting V4-on-G2F mayhem, lol.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/777929/
    That over with as far as I'm concerned and attempting to get back to some lineups (yes I found a G2F hair style that works far better).

And the Fun continues, tho not so much fun as a sobbing "Why cant this just work for once", lol. Your correct Jindi about that funny skit about FW Eve and that nasty karma of always getting broken stuff, lol. (It May Be Something Else. random bad SSS surfaces)

So in any case, as I finish the pending lineup, this is Desideria Hair on LY Darby. It is not what was used in the promos, tho it is made for G2F, and works out of the box in studio. The amount of movement, wind, style, and shaping adjustments are phenomenal.
    http://www.daz3d.com/desideria-hair
    The lengths of the back, front-left, and front-right can be adjusted independently. The front left and right can be swept back over the shoulders, independently. etc.

Desideria_Hair_on_LyDarby001.png
    1909 x 1050 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Lineups continued. the four on the right are from that cool skit. The other two are from purchases within the past month.

PaLineup001_Render_1.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Now this is Hilarius, lol. After getting access to my files on my hear-drive with Windows 7 64bit, Daz Studio 4.6 and Studio 4.7 had no issues installing directly threw DIM. Even given the note that until some paths are set up by manually installing Studio, Dim wont know what the paths are to install Studio.

Now with 4.8 Iray, apparently it had some issues. I don't know if that Icon on my desktop works or not yet, I still have some other things I need to do first (AKA Backups, backups, and did I mention backups, lol).

Given that I told dim not to flush it's temp install folder, it should be fairly easy to go and find the zip, extract it, and Right-Click-n-"Run As Administrator" the instal.exe wherever that is hiding. It's got to be something stupid-simple like that, if it didn't install completely.

"O" it was "Scene Builder", not Studio 4.8. That is stupid simple... Install Studio first. Then go and install the other stuff, lol.

In separate news, I still have a dozen lineups I want to do, and given that Iray is new, it may help some set up the alternate surface shaders.

Install_oops_001001.png
    1423 x 950 - 161K
    edited March 2015

I must be missing something. The new Photometric lights, do nothing in Iray, along with all the others in the "Create" menu. The only lights in the Iray folder, are skydomes from the looks of it, not surface light things???

in fact, right-clicking all over the surface tab for one of the omniUber area lights, dose not even show the Luxus options I had seen in Bluebird's vids. Is Iray in 4.8 just not have anything for indoor lights yet?

The only light that appears to function at all in I ray, is the headlamp, IF, that camera is selected when rendering.

MustUseCamView_ForHeadlamp_toFunction_001.png
    1410 x 889 - 758K
  • MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited March 2015

Hey ZDG, how is it going? Like the Line Up renders you did. Very beautiful idea and realisation. :)

Well, iray is not Luxus, so Bluebirds Tutorial is not helpful for iray. I wish Bluebird or someone else will make one.

In one of the threads it was explained like this, the luminance of the photometric lights have to be adjusted with the watt value. Dont use the intensity slider. If you want a strong light bulb, go with 100 Watts and more. This is not a quote, just what I remember. :down:

And you have to choose in the Environment Tab, what type of lighting the render engine will use. If it is set to Sun&Sky; your scene lights will be ignored. Take a look at it, there is an option called >Scene Only< or something, maybe that will enable your lights.

To create a light emmiting surface you will find an emmitter shader in My Library/Shader Presets/Iray Uber Defaults

By the way in MyLibrary/Props/DAZ Material Ball , there is a specific iray Test Scene. :-)

I tried to follow what is told in all those iray discussions, but actualy I got headaches from all the hardware specs everyone is posting.
    The few interesting informations about rendering with iray are getting burried. So I will take a step back and look deeper into this when the dust is settled and most people moved on to other topics.

Did a few tests yesterday. Nice results and seems to be a lot faster than LuxRender. But I miss the LuxRender GUI and the live adjustments.

Edit: Updating to a new version or a beta sometimes make the Luxus Menus disapear.
    Theres a way to fix it: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21492/P615/#748032

Post edited by MN-150374 on
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the tidbits MN-150374. I spent the night reading, and digging, digging allot. I think the phrase goes, I'm almost to china, and I still can't see the light, lol.

Yes a few had posted, turn the lights up, way up. 200% Uber panels quickly became six-thousand percent intensity Gama-ray-burst generators, the Dz lights pegged at 200% (there max, and they do, NOTHING), and still, Black without the headlamp.

"O" I replaced the key light up front with that "Photometric" light, lol. At a mere five-hundred-thousand lumens, (Xenon arc lamp maximum output)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp
    Two "Gama-ray-burst generator" panels, and a XBO lamp... Something is seriously WRONG here.

Dawn the radiation goggles and take cover y'all, I finally have something resembling, light . lol.

Iray_XBO_lamp_Test_001.png
    1798 x 967 - 712K
    WW2_Test_85070b8cd3993fe40af4c532d398dce7.jpg
    500 x 337 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Well, it turns out that at the current time, the light levels are not exactly equivalent from 3delight to Iray. And the exposure level for some of the "Lumen" lights is somewhere around ISO300 to ISO400, no where close to the default Iray render settings.

I posted a few test renders here,
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/780149/
    Tho they are overexposed in 3delight, and that is what I need to work on next with that Iray stuff. It is apparent that the auto conversion of the three shaders (dazDefault, AOA, omni) is not exact, they don't look the same next to each other in 3delight vs Iray.

However, I've neglected the lineups I wanted to do this week, and it's down to the crunch, lol. I will do these line ups in Studio 4.7 with the same exact scene (ZDG test chamber) that was used on all of the others going back to the Daz Originals line ups.

So, thanks MN-150374, Khory, timmins.william, Szark, tjohn, Legionair, Dumor3D, and DAZ_Spooky.
    I'm burnt out, and need rest.

edited December 1969

Hot out of the render engine, lol.
    I don't think Karynna is any happier with her outfit than I am, it needs more work. Still to see her next to a few others was the goal.

Dione, without the all out Unicorn bundle. I don't have minotaur, so I thought it looked odd just having the forehead spike alone, and it was in the way of the name tag, lol.

FW Natalia, well Fisty was named, so it became FWF in my inventory list, oops.

LY Trini, The tail probably looks much better with the LAMH thing, I've been delinquent, and just hadn't installed the thing. So this is the fox tail without LAMH. he he, your not wearing your fur, oh, sorry, not funny this time.

Dark Elvs, the default skin from the smart tab, and the reason I'm not doing the other outfit over again in this render. 36 minute face plant time with everyone in the scene.

Calais was a little worried that the name tag would fall on her, lol.

PaLineup002_Render_1.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 2M
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

The characters that are FW *** but have me as a PA as well are ones that I just did accessories/jewelry for. The ones called FWF *** I did more with the character, usually the makeup and nails.

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    The characters that are FW *** but have me as a PA as well are ones that I just did accessories/jewelry for. The ones called FWF *** I did more with the character, usually the makeup and nails.
    I was thinking something like that, as I lament on stuff that didn't make it in that lineup. A few of them well return. I'm still thinking about the blue one, as I don't recall the render time being that bad before with her. I did look for HD dials and back them off setting that scene up, and still, lol.

Three new figures, and a Geneses update, and then I started getting odd random skin location SSS errors during the renders (face, then arm, then hip, etc)??? Another distraction, lol. I have a few ideas what it may be, tho I need to do a few more lineups to confirm that. ("O" and that was before 4.8 being in this computer)

In any case, hope your doing well, I do need to find the accessories and stuff I missed. That and as good as some outfits look, it didn't really show the figure skin tone that well.

I was going to just do the Daz Original lineups that I have, and thought it would be better not to leave some PA's out. Especially some that I do like there works, tho not limited to just them. And the outfits, I forgot to list them, douh.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,352
    edited March 2015

I do appreciate these comparative analysis lineups you've been doing. Thanks.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited March 2015

Thanks FirstBastion, I've been intending to get back to them, and they never get completed, lol.

Here is an odd one. Daz Studio 4.8, Goddess Hair, Wachiwi SSS AoA mats (not converted to Iray at all), "Giselle 6 Ears 4" at 0.10, "Zahara Ears" at 0.30, and do a render.

With Iray, the bangs are smooth and consistent, with 3delight they get that odd smug mark. I tried rebooting the comp, same results.
    Turn back both ear morphs, and the smug stays. Switch from the AoA SSS mat to the Omni SSS AltShader, and the smug goes away???

I can't very well use that render to show what Wachiwi's mats are supposed to look like, as that smug makes it look doctored up.

Odd_Bangs_AltShader001crop1.png
    1445 x 557 - 463K
    TOTW_LisaW003_002_Iray_Dflt_SSS_Render_2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 311K
    Odd_Bangs_001crop1.png
    713 x 742 - 361K
    TOTW_LisaW003_002_3DL_SSSaoa_ScrnCap001.png
    1154 x 928 - 498K
    edited March 2015

Well past due time, and not exactly what I had first intended to do. I was first thinking of a darker skin lineup, that did not consist of Monique6 figures, lol. I also didn't want to be doing single PA lineups, tho this is a tougher one then I first thought.

As for getting clothe on the figures, and dealing with poke-threw, it's another reason short face-plant times is much appreciated. Thus this is a small sampling of figures with alternate shaders for such situations, and a comparison of them vs there regular shaders.

All of these figures have independent head and body dials, except CS Bryonia. CS Bryonia has a head shape dial, the body is a dial spun ON/OFF preset in the Content library (It still consists of dials tho).

PaLineup003017_HD_Render_6.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 2M
    PaLineup003018_HD_Render_5.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 2M