Why won't this render?

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

Ok, this really has me stumped. In the "doctor's office" from 3dc (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-doctors-office-by-3-d-c/70499) there is one item which won't render. It's the clock face from the clock prop. The rest of the scene renders just fine, but the clock face renders as black (with the rest of the clock looking fine) whatever the lighting. It looks fine in the viewport, before rendering.

I have even tried changing the clock face texture JPG to another image of a clock face, but it makes no difference. What could possibly be causing this?

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I'm going to assume it's some opacity setting on the surface for the clock, not allowing it to display as if you're looking through a wall clock's plastic cover. The set was built for Poser, so it will need tweaking texturally to look right in DS.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited January 2014

Vaskania said:
    I'm going to assume it's some opacity setting on the surface for the clock, not allowing it to display as if you're looking through a wall clock's plastic cover. The set was built for Poser, so it will need tweaking texturally to look right in DS.

No, it's not that. The clock glass has 0% opacity and it looks fine int he viewport before rendering. Anyway, the clock glass diffuse channel doesn't have the colour black, it is more like grey. So it's not that.

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

If you could post the material settings, we could help you isolate the issue better. A object with 0% opacity should be invisible, but it might react differently if you added lights into the scene rather than using the default Daz headlamp.

edited December 1969

If you could post the material settings, we could help you isolate the issue better. A object with 0% opacity should be invisible, but it might react differently if you added lights into the scene rather than using the default Daz headlamp.

It's not rendering even with just the DAZ headlamp either.

3Delight is generating this error message in my logfile:

3Delight message #3 (Severity 2): T2373: cannot read 3D texture file 'C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d944_clock_1.tdl' (No such file or directory) (in shader 'dzplastic' on object '')

Here are the materials settings

Untitled-1.jpg
    1558 x 2000 - 371K
    edited December 1969

On closer inspection, the problem is not with the glass, it's actually the clock face itself. The error to me suggests that Daz is having problems with the file, since the tdl file it's looking for is a temporary file created when Daz exports data to the 3Delight render engine using TDLmake (when Daz is 'optimizing images' this is what it's doing).

What was your lighting setup in the first image? It looked very similar to the Daz headlamp, which is why I suggested using an alternative lighting source. This won't solve your issue, but it will at least make erroneous issues easier to isolate. Aside from that, it might be prudent to also post details on the clock face itself or restart Daz and see if this solves the issue upon subsequent reloading.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    edited December 1969

What is the filename of the file for the clock surface? (check in surface tab).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Try opening the clock face image in an image editor and then resave it.

edited December 1969

Ah, I do have that set - the clock_1.jpg is a CMYK file, no wonder TDL Make doesn't like it. Converting it to RGB fixes the issue.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Ah, I do have that set - the clock_1.jpg is a CMYK file, no wonder TDL Make doesn't like it. Converting it to RGB fixes the issue.

I was reading this thread thinking, "I had this, I had this, I had .. how the heck did I fix this ...>" and ... it is just as you say, it took a while to track down!
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yeah, tdlmake is rather picky when it comes to image files. CMYK is definitely out and so are some others...can't remember off the top of my head, but certain hdr files are one.

edited January 2014

xxx
    Totte said:
    xxx
    xxx

Wow! thanks for the great response everyone. But I am sorry to say (and I did say this in my original post), that I even tried changing the clock face image. The one I am using now is no longer the original one as sold, but is a JPG of a clock face downloaded from a google image search. So unless this also happens to be a CMYK file (which would be a coincidence), I don't think that's the problem :(

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    xxx
    Totte said:
    xxx
    xxx

Wow! thanks for the great response everyone. But I am sorry to say (and I did say this in my original post), that I even tried changing the clock face image. The one I am using now is no longer the original one as sold, but is a JPG of a clock face downloaded from a google image search. So unless this also happens to be a CMYK file (which would be a coincidence), I don't think that's the problem :(

You've probably already done this, but did you name the new clock face file "clock_1.jpg?"

edited January 2014

Mari-Anne said:
    Sertorial said:
    xxx
    Totte said:
    xxx
    xxx

You've probably already done this, but did you name the new clock face file "clock_1.jpg?"

You know what? BRAINWAVE! When I created the new clock_1.JPG I did so by copying the new image over the old one, flattening the layers and re-saving. So it would have re-saved it still as a CMYK image.

So my problem is solved after all!

Thanks all of you clever people!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2014

Sertorial said:
    You know what? BRAINWAVE! When I created the new clock_1.JPG I did so by copying the new image over the old one, flattening the layers and re-saving. So it would have re-saved it still as a CMYK image.

So my problem is solved after all!

Thanks all of you clever people!

You don't want to know how many texture templates I've opened up that were saved as greyscale images and wondered why what I was now painting on my new layer was still grey... :red:

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Glad to have been able to hep, after getting help so often myself!

• kakura1102kakura1102 Posts: 7
    edited March 2015

My image won't render,please help

temp_file_IMG-20150306-WA00211.jpg
    719 x 1280 - 105K
    Post edited by kakura1102 on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,309
    edited December 1969

What exactly happens when you click the render icon?

edited December 1969

Nothing, all that happens is that it says the file could not b saved in render and the window that shows the render remains blank. I tried resetting it to the default render settings and now the rendering screen just comes up blank and nothing happens.

edited December 1969

What are your render settings, and what is the exact message? You can take screen-shots using the Snipping Tool in Windows 7 and later, rather than using your camera (which may make reading text tricky).

edited March 2015

Sorry, I was caught up in school work. It says:
    "The renderer encountered a memory error and the program has become unstable. Please close and restart DAZ Studio as soon as possible."
    And it won't render at all after that. I then set it to cartoon shaded and switched colours but the same thing keeps happening, please help me. I also reset the render settings to default.

Post edited by kakura1102 on
    edited December 1969

What are your system specifications - especially RAM? If you try to render, then go to help>Troubelshooting>View log what are the last entries, anything after the render command or the last file load that you recognise from before you rendered?

edited December 1969

RAM?

edited December 1969

RAM means how much memory is on your PC. Not to be confused with hard drive space either. This sounds like a hardware limitation, and machines with less RAM will have difficulty rendering scenes depending on their complexity.

edited December 1969

That could very well be the problem,I'll check my memory and of its too full I will delete unnecessary things. Hopefully that's the issue and it is resolved. Thank you for the explanation.

edited March 2015

To reiterate, hard drive space is NOT the same thing as memory. Memory is a hardware limitation and the only way to resolve it is to upgrade your PC. So while deleting unnecessary files might clear up hard drive space, it won't give you memory.

The two are often confused to mean the same thing, but they are very different. The hard drive stores information even when the PC is turned off. The memory only stores information after it's been loaded, which is why having more RAM means you can load more things at once. This is crucial for 3D rendering, since it's loading in shaders, 3D models and textures into memory so that the system can process them.

I consider 4Gb of RAM the absolute minimum for the most basic of scenes but ideally you want to aim for 8Gb or higher. The more memory, the better your PC can cope with rendering.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

That could very well be the problem,I'll check my memory and of its too full I will delete unnecessary things. Hopefully that's the issue and it is resolved. Thank you for the explanation.

You are thinking Hard drive space, where files are stored.

If you are on Windows 7, go to control panel -> System and Security -> System

there you will see some info about your PC. Look for "Installed memory (RAM): "

edited December 1969

My father says the computer only has 2GB in space altogether but the remaining space that is free is 1.75GB. So he says he will see if he can get the number changed to 4 GB an hopefully that may help. If there are any other suggestions as to why it is only now giving trouble with rendering,I am open. Thank u all for your assistance.

edited December 1969

Yeah, 2GB of RAM is really low these days, especially for 3D rendering work. You're likely to find yourself restricted to more simple scenes and a smaller number of figures per scene. Even 4GB of RAM is quite a low sum, so you might not see the end of this problem yet.

Still, you work with what you have. If you're low on RAM you may be able to composite different renders into one image by doing several different renders with transparent backgrounds. This way you get a decent level of complexity, but without straining your PC to death.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

If you live in the US, I've got 8GB of DDR3 RAM if it will fit your board.

Is this a custom built computer or a pre-built with a model number? If it's a pre-built, what's the model number or if you know the motherboard make and model, I can look to see if the RAM will fit the board.

Also you have to keep in mind that boards tend to have a limit on how much RAM they can hold (although newer boards have a pretty high limit.)

edited December 1969

Ah,that of be great but unfortunately I don't live in the US.