Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.21.0.5! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742
    edited October 2022

barbult said:

It is quite possible that I don't understand the recent changes to Update Base Geometry, but when I update from a DS exported OBJ, it always opens with a bizarre custom percentage. I am running DS 4.20.1.91 Public Build.

That "percentage" is a value that converts from inches; it is divisible by 254 (there are exactly 2.54 cm in an inch).  The number is 2.54*96, which also suggests the traditional Windows pixel size - 96 pixels per inch.  It's dimensionally wrong by that - 2.54 is cm/inch, 96 is px/inch, so it certainly looks like a mistake.

Post edited by jbowler on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited October 2022

jbowler said:

barbult said:

It is quite possible that I don't understand the recent changes to Update Base Geometry, but when I update from a DS exported OBJ, it always opens with a bizarre custom percentage. I am running DS 4.20.1.91 Public Build.

That "percentage" is a value that converts from inches; it is divisible by 254 (there are exactly 2.54 cm in an inch).  The number is 2.54*96, which also suggests the traditional Windows pixel size - 96 pixels per inch.  It's dimensionally wrong by that - 2.54 is cm/inch, 96 is px/inch, so it certainly looks like a mistake.

Thanks, I'll submit a ticket.

Edit: Request #421314 submitted

Post edited by barbult on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,211

It is also the conversion from 1 Poser unit (8 ft.) to DS units (cm) as a percentage. (8 ft * 12 in/ft * 2.54 cm/in) = 243.84

NorthOf45 said:

It is also the conversion from 1 Poser unit (8 ft.) to DS units (cm) as a percentage. (8 ft * 12 in/ft * 2.54 cm/in) = 243.84

That explains it; it's dimensionally correct.

Arre OBJ files always in units of 1 == 8ft, or is it something that is specified in the file?

edited October 2022

jbowler said:

NorthOf45 said:

Arre OBJ files always in units of 1 == 8ft, or is it something that is specified in the file?

When I exported the OBJ, I selected Daz Studio 1 unit = 1 CM. When I import the OBJ with that same scale, it works fine. It is only the Update Base Geometry from file that opens with that huge percentage.

Post edited by barbult on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,211

jbowler said:

NorthOf45 said:

I've seen it before when exporting Wavefront .obj format from Studio (partial geometry, for example), then re-importing them to make Studio native props or figures. Poser and Bryce show the same unit size on the import/export options dialog. Where and when it started I don't know, but there it is.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414

NorthOf45 said:

jbowler said:

NorthOf45 said:

I've seen it before when exporting Wavefront .obj format from Studio (partial geometry, for example), then re-importing them to make Studio native props or figures. Poser and Bryce show the same unit size on the import/export options dialog. Where and when it started I don't know, but there it is.

Poser had/has the unit size based on the height of a figure => 1 unit is the height of adult figure, measured with whatever length of someones feet => There was no unified scale, which can still be seen on some products.

• Richard Haseltine said:

That shouldn't be an issue - they are entirely separate as far as settings and application files go.

Yes but they have the same executable name and thus the same Windows process name.

If the installer is checking for the presence of the running Daz Studio process only by name without checking executable file version properties or the filesystem path said process is being run from, then it is entirely possible that it detects release executable as beta.

• barbult said:

jbowler said:

NorthOf45 said:

When I exported the OBJ, I selected Daz Studio 1 unit = 1 CM. When I import the OBJ with that same scale, it works fine. It is only the Update Base Geometry from file that opens with that huge percentage.

OBJ Export, OBJ Import, and Morph Loader remember the last settings used in their own dialogue, they don't talk to each other (and OBJ itself doesn't have a marker, which is why we need to set the values ourselves).

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

jbowler said:

NorthOf45 said:

OBJ Export, OBJ Import, and Morph Loader remember the last settings used in their own dialogue, they don't talk to each other (and OBJ itself doesn't have a marker, which is why we need to set the values ourselves).

The problem I had was not with OBJ Export, OBJ Import, or Morph Loader. It was with Update Base Geometry, which does not seem to remember its last settings. Even when I change it to Daz Studio, the next time it is Custom with that huge percentage.

• johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

That shouldn't be an issue - they are entirely separate as far as settings and application files go.

Yes but they have the same executable name and thus the same Windows process name.

If the installer is checking for the presence of the running Daz Studio process only by name without checking executable file version properties or the filesystem path said process is being run from, then it is entirely possible that it detects release executable as beta.

and if not then not, which I believe is the case.

• barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

jbowler said:

NorthOf45 said:

The problem I had was not with OBJ Export, OBJ Import, or Morph Loader. It was with Update Base Geometry, which does not seem to remember its last settings. Even when I change it to Daz Studio, the next time it is Custom with that huge percentage.

We are told this is a known issue, and is being investigated.

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

jbowler said:

NorthOf45 said:

We are told this is a known issue, and is being investigated.

Thanks.

barbult said:

I can't actually get "update base geometry" to work at all.  It claims that the vertext and facet counts are not the same even though I created the .obj by exporting Victoria 8.1 as wavefront then importing the resultant file then exporting again from the new figure/object and finally using that .obj in update base gemetry!  Update Base Geometry isn't saving the scale settings, but that might be because it is failing.

• jbowler said:

barbult said:

I can't actually get "update base geometry" to work at all.  It claims that the vertext and facet counts are not the same even though I created the .obj by exporting Victoria 8.1 as wavefront then importing the resultant file then exporting again from the new figure/object and finally using that .obj in update base gemetry!  Update Base Geometry isn't saving the scale settings, but that might be because it is failing.

Are you sure it was just the base? It's very easy to get add-ons, such as the lashes, or to forget to set the resolutuion to Base.

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you sure it was just the base? It's very easy to get add-ons, such as the lashes, or to forget to set the resolutuion to Base.

Maybe.  It's not clear what "File... Export..." actually exports; I'd assumed it was the selection but if it's the whole scene that would certainly explain it.

• jbowler said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maybe.  It's not clear what "File... Export..." actually exports; I'd assumed it was the selection but if it's the whole scene that would certainly explain it.

If you expand the dialogue (More Options) there is a check box to export only selected - before that the default was to export only visible. Do bear in mind that geografts may hide part of the base mesh.

• Richard Haseltine said:

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

That's easy to test -- copy notepad.exe another folder and name it dazstudio.exe then run it and the run DIM and see if it gets confused.

• johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

That's easy to test -- copy notepad.exe another folder and name it dazstudio.exe then run it and the run DIM and see if it gets confused.

It can be tested by having the General Reelase running while installing a beta, which I have done many times, or vice versa, which i think I have done a time or two.

edited October 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

It can be tested by having the General Reelase running while installing a beta, which I have done many times, or vice versa, which i think I have done a time or two.

I can confirm that the general release installs just fine while running the beta (an instance of the beta) but the beta release fails silently:

2022-10-12 13:30:33.825 [INFO] :: Installing: 12000-2 : DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2022-10-12 13:30:36.842 [INFO] :: Install Successful: DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2022-10-12 13:30:36.975 [INFO] :: Install Queue Finished: 0 min 3.1 sec

So that looks ok, but the "Helper Log..." reveals problems:

2022-10-12 13:30:24.504 [INFO] :: Install Successful: DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit)
    2022-10-12 13:30:28.309 [INFO] :: Install Successful: Measure Metrics for DAZ Studio 4.21+ (Win 64-bit)
    2022-10-12 13:30:35.887 [INFO] :: Executing File: C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 Public Build/plugins/uninstall_dynamic_clothing_basic.dzime
    2022-10-12 13:30:35.892 [INFO] :: Executed Script: C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 Public Build/plugins/uninstall_dynamic_clothing_basic.dzime
    2022-10-12 13:30:36.832 [INFO] :: Extract File Failed - : C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 Public Build/avatar_sdk.dll
    2022-10-12 13:30:36.840 [INFO] :: Install Failed: DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2022-10-12 13:30:39.810 [INFO] :: Executing file: %1Temp/initialize.dzime
    2022-10-12 13:30:39.811 [INFO] :: Queuing uninstall of package(s) that conflict with 16589-2...
    2022-10-12 13:30:39.846 [INFO] :: Executed Script: zip:/Temp/initialize.dzime
    2022-10-12 13:30:39.912 [INFO] :: Extract File Failed - : C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 Public Build/plugins/dz3dbridge.dll
    2022-10-12 13:30:39.914 [INFO] :: Install Failed: Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.21+ (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    2022-10-12 13:30:40.933 [INFO] :: Executing file: %1Temp/initialize.dzime
    2022-10-12 13:30:40.934 [INFO] :: Queuing uninstall of package(s) that conflict with 16598-2...
    2022-10-12 13:30:40.954 [INFO] :: Executed Script: zip:/Temp/initialize.dzime
    2022-10-12 13:30:40.979 [INFO] :: Extract File Failed - : C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 Public Build/plugins/dzgoz.dll
    2022-10-12 13:30:40.980 [INFO] :: Install Failed: GoZ for DAZ Studio 4.21+ (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    2022-10-12 13:30:41.755 [INFO] :: Extract File Failed - : C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 Public Build/plugins/dzmeasuremetrics.dll
    2022-10-12 13:30:41.756 [INFO] :: Install Failed: Measure Metrics for DAZ Studio 4.21+ (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+

Looks like the install manager is trying to overwrite DLLs when it should be extracting to a temporary file then renaming to the desired file.  Relaunching Install Manager shows that the beta is not installed, but it looks like some of the configuration files got damaged (I lose my layout if I launch the beta).

Post edited by jbowler on
  • docbotherdocbother Posts: 106

Still complaining about the ghost light fix? In the ghost light surface properties, multiply luminance used in pre-fix scenes by the reciprocal of the opacity value. e.g. for opacity of 0.000001, multiply the pre-fix luminance by 1000000. Yeah, makes for some super nova level luminance values. It won't melt your processor though. That should get you within an order of magnitude of the needed value.

FWIW, Ghost Light is not a feature of IRay. It is a marketing name given to an exploit of an IRay bug discovered by a clever PA at DAZ. I don't see how NVidia has any responsibilty to support said exploit.

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 409

So, does this version (4.21) support RTX 4090? Got one on pre-order, maybe it'll be here soon and the very first thing I'll want to do is take Iray for a spin. :)

Diaspora said:

So, does this version (4.21) support RTX 4090? Got one on pre-order, maybe it'll be here soon and the very first thing I'll want to do is take Iray for a spin. :)

I checked at 6AM this morning and, 30s later, they were out of stock Saved myself $1600 :-)  Since it's an NVidia GPU they are highly motivated to make the Studio driver work on it, though maybe slightly less so than the Game driver, well, a lot less so.  Making the Studio driver work means making Iray work.  4.21 also has a newly integrated dForce if I read the change log correctly, so dForce might work too, or not.

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

So now we know it isn't actually checking any of those things since the errors I got from installing 4.21 beta while actually running the previous beta indicated that the issue is with DLL installation; InstallManager did not refuse to install because I was running the beta!  In fact there is no reason for it to do that unless the shared config files are going to be updated, in which case the running beta may write an old version of the config file when it eventually exits.  That was not going to happen in my case because the beta that was running was an instance, so a parallel install was possible.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited October 2022

Diaspora said:

Amazon had 3090 TIs for $999 earlier today, but you have to be a Prime member.

Edit to add: Looks like the 3090 TIs are gone now. ZOTAC 3090 Trinity 24GB is up now, $869.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on

Jason Galterio said:

Diaspora said:

Edit to add: Looks like the 3090 TIs are gone now. ZOTAC 3090 Trinity 24GB is up now, $869.

Indeed, here's the link, it's "Prime Early Access" whatever that is so it may not work for everyone: https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Graphics-IceStorm-Advanced-ZT-A30900J-10P/dp/B08ZL6XD9H

Tempting, 50% discount, or not.  Twice as much RAM as my Titan XP and it is running out of RAM that stops my renders.

• jbowler said:

Jason Galterio said:

Diaspora said:

Indeed, here's the link, it's "Prime Early Access" whatever that is so it may not work for everyone: https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Graphics-IceStorm-Advanced-ZT-A30900J-10P/dp/B08ZL6XD9H

Tempting, 50% discount, or not.  Twice as much RAM as my Titan XP and it is running out of RAM that stops my renders.

I'm tempted as well, but I just got a 3080 six months ago. Really can't justify another one.

The massively delayed exit is still causing major problems, such as this:

2022-10-12 17:17:28.113 [INFO] :: Installing: 12000-2 : DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2022-10-12 17:17:42.586 [WARNING] :: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
    2022-10-12 17:18:06.795 [INFO] :: Install Successful: DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2022-10-12 17:18:06.904 [INFO] :: Install Queue Finished: 0 min 38.7 sec

More grist to the mill I think; the beta that I had just exited was almost certainly doing it's last dance before actually exiting.  The QProcess message is a well known bane of Qt programmers.

Uninstalling the beta and re-installing it did not repro the WARNING.

The final install has resulted in a beta system that has the correct layout, this is good and I am a happy chappy.  I did have to kill it with extreme prejudice after a slight change to the content directory, but it's a beta.  I expect that.  Probably a mistake to drop a beta into the release channel.

• KenYanoKenYano Posts: 81

Trying to render using laptop and razer core x gpu in Iray and got this message right before Daz crashed:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvami.inf_amd64_ab82c08bd4d2bb6c\nvoptix.dll" at 0033:00000000CC85E03B, optixQueryFunctionTable()+327691 byte(s)

I'm using Windows 11, Asus M16 Laptop with Core i9 and 3080TI 16gb and eGPU 3080TI 12GB. This happened after I swithched from the game ready driver (before today's update) to the studio driver which doesn't let me output to my external monitor when installed. Switched back to the game ready driver but the latest one and now can't render with my eGPU turned on. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

• jbowler said:

The massively delayed exit is still causing major problems, such as this:

2022-10-12 17:17:28.113 [INFO] :: Installing: 12000-2 : DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2022-10-12 17:17:42.586 [WARNING] :: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
    2022-10-12 17:18:06.795 [INFO] :: Install Successful: DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2022-10-12 17:18:06.904 [INFO] :: Install Queue Finished: 0 min 38.7 sec

More grist to the mill I think; the beta that I had just exited was almost certainly doing it's last dance before actually exiting.  The QProcess message is a well known bane of Qt programmers.

Uninstalling the beta and re-installing it did not repro the WARNING.

The final install has resulted in a beta system that has the correct layout, this is good and I am a happy chappy.  I did have to kill it with extreme prejudice after a slight change to the content directory, but it's a beta.  I expect that.  Probably a mistake to drop a beta into the release channel.

The need to have the application fully closed before isntalling a new version is well known.

This isn't a beta - it's the release version. the beta channel is always updated to match the release, if it isn't ahead, so that people can try the new version without disturbing the General Release if they wish (or need to, for compatibility)