In Store NOW!: Gemologica by Fisty and Marieah

Comments

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

That's actually one of the ways I was intending it to be used. =) I've seen others tweak my glass shader to do that but it takes a bit more adjustment than these. Looks great!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited August 2012

Very nice indeed.
    Below is another render using Rising Sun material from Gemologica applied to Genesis.
    Click the image to see it enlarged.

StephMix05pic01.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 319K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

great use of tile scale! =)

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    I've opened Carrara twice in 7 years.. but that would be a good place to start, yeah. Change the index of refraction to the gemstone you're going for and then change the diffuse color. If the diffuse color doesn't change it enough you might need to add color to the reflection and/or specular channels as well. DS and Poser handle index of refraction quite differently, I'm sure carrara is different as well so that's about the extent of how helpful I can be.

I haven't used Carrara much so far either, but I'm planning to so all advice is welcome. Will give it a try and see how it turns out. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Thanks, Fisty.
    Below is another render of the previous scene with Rising Sun material from Gemologica applied to Genesis.
    Render made in Lux (582 samples per pixel) via Reality 2 plugin for Daz Studio 4 Pro.
    Click the image to see it enlarged.

StephMix05no582_5Sp.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 330K
    edited December 1969

Interesting.. looks like Reality detected that it was Genesis and applied a Lux skin shader on top of the cloisonne texture map

• GhostpantherGhostpanther Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    Don't forget the tiling scale presets! All those rings would look better with tiling set to 1 or 2

*blushingred* do you have maybe somewhere some kind of help file or tutorial about how these tiling sets and the shaders should be used ?
    Although I'm totally stunned by Gemologica itself, I had to recognize, that I don't know how to handle it.

edited December 1969

Double click the shader, if it looks weird double click the tile presets til you find the one that looks best?

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

These instructions are actually on the product blurb, as readme's don't open any more.

The only other thing you need to know is that if you are using a partial such as embossing, engraving etc, to always use like with like..ie use the DS default version of the overlay over the DS default base and ditto for the US ones. This is clearly labelled in your folder.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

For those worried about how these work with DS 4.5... no problems. :) Here's my old friend Spuggles with skin in Pearl-04 and spines in Iolite light.

pearl-iolite.png
    494 x 588 - 176K
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Moon Key with silver, paua, MOP, and topaz. DS4.5. One distant light at 70% and UberEnv ambient at 30%. V4 with Maya skin.

moonkey.png
    490 x 584 - 384K
  • GeneRufusGeneRufus Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

WOW.

edited December 1969

GeneRufus said:
    WOW.

+1

edited December 1969

Below are the two renders of the bottles from the Love Poision with Gemologica materials applied to them.
    Click each of the images to see them enlarged.

HitomiCandy06pic01.jpg
    1100 x 1200 - 281K
    HitomiCandy05pic01.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 200K
    edited December 1969

Oh! What a great idea!

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

They look terrific Artini!

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot for the comments, Fisty and Marieah.
    Gemologica is such a nice set of shaders, that can be used on almost everything.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

I just had lots and lots of fun with one pic where I took that Queen Elizabeth I necklace, applied plenty of shaders, a treasure chest (FYI -- diamond on potion bottle + opal w/opacity 95% looks great) etc stuff. Sadly, can't show the pic until I get a permission, since it was a commission job...

I was totally right, Gemologica is one of the best investments I've made in terms of FUN & USEFULNESS.

edited August 2012

I got a permission to show the gemmed bits!

So, here's the treasure chest -- coins have Dzfire's shader, but bottle is made outta diamond, liquid is 95% opacity opal, chalice and ring have metal shaders from Gemologica, ring's stone is from there too.

The character -- a fighter-y sort of female, of no-nonsense no-fun-whatsoever variety -- is gingerly picking up the gaudiest necklace she has ever seen, with a look of "WTF is this ****" on her face.

Resized.jpg
    1618 x 1020 - 219K
    wtfisthisthing.png
    492 x 885 - 440K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Hahaha she's holding it like it's rotten or something!

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    Hahaha she's holding it like it's rotten or something!

Yes! That's precisely how my customer wanted me to do it! "Can you have her hold it like it is a rotten fish or something?" "Sure!"

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

When does the sale end

edited August 2012

I don't rightfully know.. it went on sale on the 10th so if it's 2 weeks you have til the 24th.
    Marieah should know for sure, that's set at upload time and she was the one that uploaded it.

Post edited by Fisty on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I actually got a friend of mine a Daz gift card so she can get this and she loves it

• edited December 1969

Beautiful work Marieah and Fisty.

edited December 1969

By the way, here's my two gem-heavy piccies now that I got a permission to stick 'em in reduced size to DA:
    Ice drake attack (I used fake diamonds etc for dragon body)
    Disappointing treasure (previously seen snippets)

edited December 1969

Okay, now I understand a bit better how shaders work ;-) - so, here's "The fight of the Gemologista":

The_Gemologista4.jpg
    802 x 601 - 446K
    edited December 1969

Skiriki - great!

Ghostpanther - did you even put it on his hair? LOL!

edited December 1969

@Fisty: Yes, I took the Bamboo for it :-D Normal hair wouldn't have fit there ;-)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247
    edited December 1969

Hm. *Nice* new earring collection by Inception8 over on RDNA. Looks like it would take very nicely to these shaders -- even though he included rather a nice lot of options already.