DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Kerya. I guess I should explore DS once in a while to see what else I've been missing... %-P

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited February 2015

...interesting, started up the DIMafew moments ago to download and install some new purchases and a dialogue popped up immediately afterwards that it was installing an update to DazStudio and Genesis2 Essentials.

Clicked "Cancel" and closed the utility. When I restarted the DIM again the dialogue didn't reappear.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...interesting, started up the DIMafew moments ago to download and install some new purchases and a dialogue popped up immediately afterwards that it was installing an update to DazStudio and Genesis2 Essentials.

Clicked "Cancel" and closed the utility. When I restarted the DIM again the dialogue didn't reappear.

The only dialog like that is when there's an update for DIM. The last time DAZ Studio and Starter Essentials were updated was December (except for the added geografts for 3D printing, which were added files rather than updates). DIM doesn't install anything unless you okay it.

edited December 1969

...this specifically said "Daz Studio" and "Genesis2 Essentials".

If it were a DIM update (and there hasn't been one yet) I would not have been able to open it up a second time without the update commencing.

The only major recent update I know of was a patch issued a few days ago for Reality4, however, that uses it's own .exe installer which has to be run from the desktop.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...this specifically said "Daz Studio" and "Genesis2 Essentials".

If it were a DIM update (and there hasn't been one yet) I would not have been able to open it up a second time without the update commencing.

The only major recent update I know of was a patch issued a few days ago for Reality4, however, that uses it's own .exe installer which has to be run from the desktop.

Do you have "Install After Download" checked? Did you select them to be downloaded?

edited December 1969

...no I never let it "autoinstall" anything as I don't need the Legacy 4.0 files since I am only using 4.7 and 3.1 Advanced (the latter which still makes use of the old Poser runtime structure).

The only items I uninstalled in the last couple days was Reality4 and LuxRender as I tired of dealing with the bugs (and again, those have nothing to do with the DIM).

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if there is known bugs associated with Specular or Index Of Refraction/Fresnel when using Gamma correction in current DS? As I have been getting issues where DS will render my character mats using specular with IOR inconsistently. All the skin surfaces have the identical surface settings with (I checked) seamless and correct specular strength textures, yet several material zones will completely ignore IOR and/or possibly the specular strength textures themselves.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Working on some material zone shaders for a project. IS there currently a way to inverse the surface zone selections?

If not is there a script?

Thanks!

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

OK I'm getting really annoyed with the new Environment Tab.
    How do I have the Backdrop automatically turned on, when starting
    How do I have the Background color have a different color than white in the view port when you have a new scene.
    Is there a safe frame feature as I can't tell what the camera is seeing I'm totally guessing. See sceen shots
    You guys really when backwards on this one, for a feature.

Render-Frame.jpg
    711 x 400 - 68K
    Safe-Frame.jpg
    1912 x 1040 - 291K
    edited December 1969

Create an empty scene with your desired backdrop, and cameras/lights if you like, then in Edit > Preferences > Startup set that as your startup scene.

How do I have the Background color have a different color than white in the view port when you have a new scene.

Window > Style > Customize Colors > Viewport Color, and make sure Edit > Preferences > Scene is set to Ignore Backdrop Color when opening a new scene.

Is there a safe frame feature as I can't tell what the camera is seeing I'm totally guessing.

Viewport options > Show Aspect Frame

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Create an empty scene with your desired backdrop, and cameras/lights if you like, then in Edit > Preferences > Startup set that as your startup scene.

Window > Style > Customize Colors > Viewport Color, and make sure Edit > Preferences > Scene is set to Ignore Backdrop Color when opening a new scene.

Is there a safe frame feature as I can't tell what the camera is seeing I'm totally guessing.

Thank you Yoda
    I am humbled by your wisdom !

edited December 1969

Thank you Yoda
    I am humbled by your wisdom !

Humbled there is not. Only create more products there is, so give you more money I can.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:
    Does anyone know if there is known bugs associated with Specular or Index Of Refraction/Fresnel when using Gamma correction in current DS? As I have been getting issues where DS will render my character mats using specular with IOR inconsistently. All the skin surfaces have the identical surface settings with (I checked) seamless and correct specular strength textures, yet several material zones will completely ignore IOR and/or possibly the specular strength textures themselves.

What is the render engine you are using and what shader?

edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:

What is the render engine you are using and what shader?

I am rendering with 3Delight, and the shader is a modified version of AoA's Subsurface shader - Basically I added an additional specular using BSDF and the Ashikhmin Shirley Specular mode with Fresnel enabled, and saved out an independent shader from it. It worked quite well to begin with, but after I took a break from Daz for a while its been rather troublesome. I didn't know if this was a known bug, a mistake on my part in shader mixer, or something odd with Gamma correction (which is something Ive been exploring allot lately).

I was quite careful in my edits in shader mixer, and looked at all the ones I could from different shaders available, but perhaps I just did something wrong.

edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:

I am rendering with 3Delight, and the shader is a modified version of AoA's Subsurface shader - Basically I added an additional specular using BSDF and the Ashikhmin Shirley Specular mode with Fresnel enabled, and saved out an independent shader from it. It worked quite well to begin with, but after I took a break from Daz for a while its been rather troublesome. I didn't know if this was a known bug, a mistake on my part in shader mixer, or something odd with Gamma correction (which is something Ive been exploring allot lately).

I was quite careful in my edits in shader mixer, and looked at all the ones I could from different shaders available, but perhaps I just did something wrong.

I see. You know, it seems to me that Shader Mixer is particularly unpredictable in the 4.7 build. It is probably being reworked as we speak, what with all the recent innovations in DS and 3Delight, so unfortunately it looks like we're living in turbulent times re:it, and we just have to wait till it stabilises.

Gamma correction shouldn't really mess with shader calculations. I render with it on exclusively, and even though I write my shaders in RSL (shader builder), technically they still use the same 3Delight bsdf() shadeop (Ashikhmin-Shirley is my favourite distribution =)) as the Shader Mixer brick does. So what may get wonky is Shader Mixer passing the Fresnel IOR to said shadeop.

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

I just ran the DIM for this and while all my content is still visible in my content library, smart content only thinks I have the 4 models I bought yesterday.

Help :(

edited December 1969

...had that happen after switching to the Postgre SOL database. Only content I purchased since then shows with the blue highlighting (using the "Darkside" UI), and is all that appears in the Category and Content Name lists.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...had that happen after switching to the Postgre SOL database. Only content I purchased since then shows with the blue highlighting (using the "Darkside" UI), and is all that appears in the Category and Content Name lists.

is there no way to fix this??

edited December 1969

With DS closed, in DIM, go to the Installed tab, select all, then right-click on an item and choose "Re-Import Metadata" > "For all selected".

edited December 1969

Mike, I'm a man and I don't have a uterus but I will still have your babies. All my thanks ;)

edited December 1969

...I tried that and it didn't work for me. Then again a major portion of my runtime was installed with the old pre 4.0 .,exe installers and not the DIM.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I tried that and it didn't work for me. Then again a major portion of my runtime was installed with the old pre 4.0 .,exe installers and not the DIM.

See my post in the "What features would you like to see in DS5" thread for how to get everything into categories that doesn't come with metadata and wasn't installed with DIM.

edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:

I see. You know, it seems to me that Shader Mixer is particularly unpredictable in the 4.7 build. It is probably being reworked as we speak, what with all the recent innovations in DS and 3Delight, so unfortunately it looks like we're living in turbulent times re:it, and we just have to wait till it stabilises.

Gamma correction shouldn't really mess with shader calculations. I render with it on exclusively, and even though I write my shaders in RSL (shader builder), technically they still use the same 3Delight bsdf() shadeop (Ashikhmin-Shirley is my favourite distribution =)) as the Shader Mixer brick does. So what may get wonky is Shader Mixer passing the Fresnel IOR to said shadeop.

I have read around the place allot of shaders have been acting up in this version of daz, maybe it is also a result of that drama. Thanks for the help :) Hopefully the next daz and 3delight version will fix all this

edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:

I have read around the place allot of shaders have been acting up in this version of daz, maybe it is also a result of that drama. Thanks for the help :) Hopefully the next daz and 3delight version will fix all this

And I bet those shaders were all done in Shader Mixer - Amazing Skins, AoA's Subsurface, etc etc, they're all Shader Mixer.

Now if people were to complain about the Uber series or the PW series playing up... now that would be serious.

edited December 1969

...so why should AoA's shaders/cameras etc get less consideration than the Uber or poseworks (the creator of which apparently disappeared some time ago) plugins?

There are a good number of us who find AoA's utilities to be more intuitive to use and they produce excellent results for our needs.

After all, the Shader Mixer is a "built in" plugin offered with the Daz application so naturally some PAs will use it.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

It's been an ongoing and rather bitter lesson since right back to DS1 that with plugins, shaders, lights and scripts by third parties, one can only expect them to work in the version of DS they were initially made for when one buys them. One cannot expect them to be updated in a timely fashion when they are broken by new DS versions, or indeed expect that they won't be abandoned completely at some point with no more fixes ever. One can hope support will continue through DS version changes, that fixes will appear rapidly, and that development of the product will not be abandoned; but one can't expect it. There have been far too many plugins, shaders and scripts - and PAs who made them - that have fallen by the wayside to have any higher expectations. (The ah/Pendragon shaders/lights, anyone?)

The Poseworks shaders continue to be supported only because DAZ took them over as DAZ Originals, so their ongoing development is from the inhouse DAZ team, not the original PA. I hope the AoA products will continue to be supported, but I won't expect things to have been fixed before each version releases so they continue working each update without a hitch unless and until DAZ buys them out as DAZ Originals like the Posework shaders.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so why should AoA's shaders/cameras etc get less consideration than the Uber or poseworks (the creator of which apparently disappeared some time ago) plugins?

It's not about "less consideration", KK. It's about technology.

Omnifreaker's Uber stuff, PW shaders and AoA's lights and EZVolume (*) - these are independently written shaders (not "plugins"!). The authors wrote them in a text editor, in RSL - Renderman Shading Language. These shaders were then compiled, and only then were they distributed to the customers. They are fixed, set in stone.

If these start misbehaving, it would mean there is a huge problem somewhere.

On the other hand - Shader Mixer networks (like AoA's Subsurface) are saved as these editable presets, compiled every time you render. They are dynamic. Any change to the Shader Mixer plugin is prone to messing these networks up.

(*) speaking of EZVolume as a shader, not the DS camera thing: the shader itself works perfectly, as I have demonstrated already, but if you don't want to use my fix, then you should contact AoA directly and ask him to provide one - because his volumetrics are his own products merely brokered here and not bought out by DAZ, so DAZ cannot help you here.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    It's been an ongoing and rather bitter lesson since right back to DS1 that with plugins, shaders, lights and scripts by third parties, one can only expect them to work in the version of DS they were initially made for when one buys them. One cannot expect them to be updated in a timely fashion when they are broken by new DS versions, or indeed expect that they won't be abandoned completely at some point with no more fixes ever. One can hope support will continue through DS version changes, that fixes will appear rapidly, and that development of the product will not be abandoned; but one can't expect it. There have been far too many plugins, shaders and scripts - and PAs who made them - that have fallen by the wayside to have any higher expectations. (The ah/Pendragon shaders/lights, anyone?)

The Poseworks shaders continue to be supported only because DAZ took them over as DAZ Originals, so their ongoing development is from the inhouse DAZ team, not the original PA. I hope the AoA products will continue to be supported, but I won't expect things to have been fixed before each version releases so they continue working each update without a hitch unless and until DAZ buys them out as DAZ Originals like the Posework shaders.

...usually though that happens between full releases (like 3.1 and 4.0) as the SDK is revised at the same time (which is made available to plugin developers before the public release).

In the case of 4.6 to 4.7 the SDK was not revised.

Maybe then what Daz needs to consider is doing the same with the Cameras, Advanced Lights and SSS shaders.

edited March 2015

...never mind, saw you were speaking about the something else called EZVolume and not setting for AoA's Atmospheric camera of the same name.

Post edited by kyoto kid on