Setting up/building an iray server at home for Daz Studio

Is there a way to build/setup an iray server in my house instead of renting one? There's gotta be. The upfront cost migh be a bit steep but at least I don't have to pay monthly fees or whatever. Has anyone done this? If so please tell me how. I'm proficient with hardware and most operating systems. I've just never taken on this type of project but I've been wanting to.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,272

As far as I know, there is still a monthly fee for the Iray server license, but it's almost certainly less than using a 3rd-party service.

• Doesn't Jack Tomalin run an Iray Server ? You could message him through the forums. My understanding is you need a server running Windows or Linux, not sure about which CPU, how much memory or disk space but as many Nvidia GPUs as possible. There is information on the Nvidia website somewhere.

Best Wishes
    Steve.

• TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 363

I would be willing to pay for a version of Daz that used something besides Iray.  Metal would be popular.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

Sadly right now it's pretty much an impossible task, profitibly.  

The ginormous hurdle is going to be getting your hands on the GPUs.  If you can manage to find a source to buy a bunch of RTX cards at MSRP, please PM me.  wink

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,154

The perks of running server in your own home..? You might as well just remote into a machine and run DS on the desktop.. rather than spefically set up an Iray server. But yes, they have a yearly license to pay.

• TBorNot said:

I would be willing to pay for a version of Daz that used something besides Iray.  Metal would be popular.

What is Metal in this context? The only one I am aware of is an API on Macs, not a rendering engine - and certainly not soemthing that would be available to Windows users.

Daz [Studio] does use soemthing other than Iray - 3Delight, and for some purposes Filament, plus Octane if your OS supports the plug-in. Most of those don't even require you to pay.

• I'm tempted to use octane since I'm planning on ditching Ultrascenery due to size of the plots but will it use more gpu vram then iray and will it render better not necessarily faster? Or will I be better adding a second gpu to my workstation. Ie a m4000 to my m6000 or if the fourth stimulus check comes (which I'm strongly thinking it's not coming) a second m6000 24gb (doubtful I'm getting that more like a m4000 and maybe a second one much much later) enough vram for iray in large scenes 24+ Gb vram (which is rare but sometimes happens once in a while but DOES happen as a 24+ vram gpu or even a $$410+ gpu is OUT OF THE QUESTION!!! I saw m4000's for then less than $400 from reliable sellers I've bought gpus from many times 

• Filament is not at all a good replacement for iray and forget 3delight. It looks like trash (yeah I'm a bit of a perfectionist) and doesn't support most of my assets

• How much are we talking for the iray server license????

• The upfront cost might be worth it 

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Does octane use less vram than iray? Because if it does use less than I'll go with that. I've done octane for smaller scenes and I like the results 

• Chloe_MChloe_M Posts: 5
    edited September 2022

RemiliaSutton said:

Is there a way to build/setup an iray server in my house instead of renting one? There's gotta be. The upfront cost migh be a bit steep but at least I don't have to pay monthly fees or whatever. Has anyone done this? If so please tell me how. I'm proficient with hardware and most operating systems. I've just never taken on this type of project but I've been wanting to.

Based on my understanding of iray server software, the advantage of using that rather than setting up remote access within your home (or physically going between the computers) depends on your situation....

So one advantage of iray server is, first you still need to make sure all your Daz content files are on both PC's or at least accessible on the second one, but once that is done, one advantage is you can just queue render jobs to your second PC using iray server. So this is a bit easier than manually going between the two PC's

Iray Server also allows you to do "stream rendering" where you basically use the second PC as additional rendering power for your host PC (only works with specific GPU's though on your host PC) which can (potentially) speed up rendering times substantially.

With iray server you can also setup multiple PC's, should that be your home situation as a render farm in your own home, so yeah there's that too.

I see people saying it is a subscription fee. But I just checked and for me it shows up as a 300 USD one-off payment that gives you one year access to new updates for iray server and after that you still keep access to the software you just can't get the latest updates anymore after a year. At least that's how I've understood it.

I'm no iray server expert though - so take above with grain of salt it could be wrong but it is my interpretation of the available information. I've not done it myself yet as I'm still on fence about the upfront cost of the licence fee.

*EDIT*

So I've decided to try the 30 day free trial. My setup is (both devices on same home network);

Main PC where I use Daz3D Studio = i9 9900K + RTX 2080
    My laptop that I used as an iRay Server = i7 something (don't remember by heart) + RTX 3070 Ti

So setup was easy, on iRay server official website there was button for free trial, put in my details and got the file. Installed iRay server ONLY on my laptop. Ensured GPU drivers up to date and started iRay Server on laptop. Got my local IP from my laptop 192.xxxxx and setup the login and password for iRay Server on the laptop

Setup a scene on Daz3D Studio on my main PC, went to the render advanced tab and entered the local IP, login details and connected to the iRay Server on my laptop. All went fine.

Then I tried two different modes on Daz3D Studio, first I tried the Streaming mode, so on my setup what happened then is that Daz rendered like you normally do without iRay Server except that my laptop GPU was used 100% and the CPU load was split between my laptop and my desktop. My desktop GPU was not utilised.

Then I tried the normal queue mode, which sends the data to the iRay Server on the laptop and just has the laptop render the full thing on its own while my PC is free to do whatever I want with it, including make new scenes, etc... For this my laptop CPU and GPU were used fully though you can change the settings on iRay Server on the laptop to only use CPU or only use GPU or use both.

In both streaming and queue mode iRay Server simply follows your entire render settings from Daz

One very very important advantage of iRay Server that I've yet to see anyone mention, you do NOT need to setup any files locally or even remote access for them on the iRay Server device!!! Daz automatically sends the data needed to the iRay Server and the iRay Server device then renders it.

So iRay Server already is very practical even for within a home network environment as you do not have to duplicate your library on the other device or even setup access to the files. Daz simply sends what the log calls "Render snapshots" to the iRay Server which has all the data iRay needs to render the image in the same way it would if you rendered it locally.

So yeah my personal feelings is that iRay Server is well worth it. I've gone ahead and bought it. The fact I can just queue up renders on another PC in my home all straight out of Daz without switching to remote access and without having to duplicate my Daz asset library and without having to setup access to my Daz asset library within my home network is just extremely useful.

In iRay Server you can set an output folder either locally or a network drive, so I made a folder on my main PC as shared folder within the network with read/write access and on laptop on iRay Server I set that up as the output folder. So my laptop renders the files from the queue and then outputs it back automatically to my main PC. Literally the best and most convenient rendering time saver I've ever found for Daz3D!!!

Post edited by Chloe_M on
  • gpgp Posts: 0

Now Iray Server is free ive decided to run it on the laptop. How would I set up a cluster? Working fine in standalone mode. 

Tried --cluster <ip> --master on the master - but It cant see it on the main GPU server.

• onis13onis13 Posts: 0

gp said:

Now Iray Server is free ive decided to run it on the laptop. How would I set up a cluster? Working fine in standalone mode. 

Tried --cluster <ip> --master on the master - but It cant see it on the main GPU server.

Hi, please tell me why the hdri map is not displayed on the Iray server when rendering.

• onis13 said:

gp said:

Hi, please tell me why the hdri map is not displayed on the Iray server when rendering.

They are there, hidden by the transparency layer. You can use a tool like photoshop to separate out the transparency layer.However, I find it easier to just copy the completed job and edit the bit depth from RGBA to RGB. The completed render will have the HDRI map and it will be visible.

• Where do I get the free iray server @onis13 ???

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,272

milliethegreat said:

Where do I get the free iray server @onis13 ???

https://www.irayplugins.com/iray-server/download.php

• yonderworksyonderworks Posts: 4

I'm not very computer-savvy, but I would like to set up my own render server someday when the upfront finances present themselves. In the meantime, couldn't you theoretically use your now free iray server license to send render queues to a cloud service you've rented?