NEW SET - No6 - Some new freebies I've been working on

BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381
edited September 2022 in Freebies

For several years I've thought about doing this, a new project, and the first part is finally ready, at least I think it is. Might be useful to fill in a scene, create a scene around it, or just use it as freebie for the contest.

I've been working on several styles of chess pieces and boards. The pieces are just one each of a King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, and Pawn. They are all done in a generic gray iray shader. You will have to duplicate them to make a side, and then again to make both sides and apply your choice of shaders or textures (either IRAY or 3Delight). The way I did it is noted in the read me file in the zip. Each one of the five styles is a different design. The three boards are rather large, about 36" with the borders.

Way back when, when I was about 11 (in 1960), my uncle gave me my first chess set one summer (a hand made wood Staunton design - I still have it stored in a small wooden box I saved most of a summer collecting pop bottles to pay for). He taught me how to play the game to pass the time while we were on an  extended family vacation at a Native American Reservation run area in New York bordering on Lake Erie. We use a smallish fold up cardboard checkers board (you may remember the kind from the late '50's and early '60's). Since then I've collected many sets from around the world, some plastic, wood, marble, onyx, ceramic, metal, bone, and couple of others. About half are hand made the rest are  mass produced. They come from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, The Philippines, Japan, Mexico, Hungry, Italy, and of course, mostly from the USA (several unique designs and material from different states).

Later on, when I was in high school, we had a chess club there . The teacher who was our sponser hand made several boards that were quite large. I found I liked playing with a good bit of space around the pieces. I've made my own boards over the years something like he did. The first two boards re-done here are in his honor (Tom Whetsel specials).  One was made of a large mirror that he removed the black backing and then removed the silver material coating on the back of the mirror on alternating squares using a razor blade and lots of pencil erasers. He placed it on black velvet material and then added the frame. This caused reflections of the pieces on the mirrored squares. He had a very tall set and the result looked great. In my Sophmore year the school added a swimming pool and he collected left over ceramic tiles that were used to covered the floor (you know, those funky gray inch by inch ones) and the black ones used for making the depth numbers along the pool side. He made each "square" of the board from a 3x3 tile pattern, gray with a black center, and black with a gray center. This made a board with each square about three inches for 24" across the board then he added a 6" boarder all around for an overall size of 36". These what I based the boards on, and since I was on a roll, I left the last one the same size.

Hope you can find a use for these and have fun with them and enjoy using them. I had fun making them, they reminded me of some good times that are now very long gone and renewed my modeling skills. My uncle and teacher both are still around though I don't get to see either anymore.

If there is enough interest and downloads of these I may do another bunch (I have a couple of other board designs, and lots of piece design ideas).

These should be available on rendo soon, maybe tomorrow, depending on if, and when, they are aproved. Just look at the new freebies page.

This just one set of pieces and one of the boards. To much of a hassle to do all the pics with having to do the run-a-round now required to post here.

Post edited by BronzeDragon on

Comments

• I like the way this set looks.

• Very very nice!

• These are nice. Have to confess I won't be downloading them, though. They are good models, no question, beautifully executed, so it's not down to you. I simply don't like chess, that's the only reason why I won't download them. Drafts (you may know as 'Checkers') is more a game I can play on a vanishingly irregular basis. Regards, Richard.
  • richardandtracy said:

These are nice. Have to confess I won't be downloading them, though. They are good models, no question, beautifully executed, so it's not down to you. I simply don't like chess, that's the only reason why I won't download them. Drafts (you may know as 'Checkers') is more a game I can play on a vanishingly irregular basis.

Shrink the Y-scale of the pawns and duplicate one of each color 4x. 2x new Y-scale, as needed, for kings. Voilà! Checkers! surprise

You're welcome. wink

• meganappstate said:

richardandtracy said:

These are nice. Have to confess I won't be downloading them, though. They are good models, no question, beautifully executed, so it's not down to you. I simply don't like chess, that's the only reason why I won't download them. Drafts (you may know as 'Checkers') is more a game I can play on a vanishingly irregular basis.

Shrink the Y-scale of the pawns and duplicate one of each color 4x. 2x new Y-scale, as needed, for kings. Voilà! Checkers! surprise

You're welcome. wink

I like it. There you go Richard. But besides that you don't need to like, or play chess, to use the items in a scene.

• I'm afraid I do need to like the items to have them in my content in the first place. Chess, just no thanks. I like the idea of Drafts being an option, though.

Regards,

Richard

• richardandtracy said:

I'm afraid I do need to like the items to have them in my content in the first place. Chess, just no thanks. I like the idea of Drafts being an option, though.

Regards,

Richard

Ok, maybe I'll look into doing a set of them sometime, then you can still use the boards. 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

BronzeDragon said:

For several years I've thought about doing this, a new project, and the first part is finally ready, at least I think it is. Might be useful to fill in a scene, create a scene around it, or just use it as freebie for the contest.

I've been working on several styles of chess pieces and boards. The pieces are just one each of a King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, and Pawn. They are all done in a generic gray iray shader. You will have to duplicate them to make a side, and then again to make both sides and apply your choice of shaders or textures (either IRAY or 3Delight). The way I did it is noted in the read me file in the zip. Each one of the five styles is a different design. The three boards are rather large, about 36" with the borders.

Way back when, when I was about 11 (in 1960), my uncle gave me my first chess set one summer (a hand made wood Staunton design - I still have it stored in a small wooden box I saved most of a summer collecting pop bottles to pay for). He taught me how to play the game to pass the time while we were on an  extended family vacation at a Native American Reservation run area in New York bordering on Lake Erie. We use a smallish fold up cardboard checkers board (you may remember the kind from the late '50's and early '60's). Since then I've collected many sets from around the world, some plastic, wood, marble, onyx, ceramic, metal, bone, and couple of others. About half are hand made the rest are  mass produced. They come from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, The Philippines, Japan, Mexico, Hungry, Italy, and of course, mostly from the USA (several unique designs and material from different states).

Later on, when I was in high school, we had a chess club there . The teacher who was our sponser hand made several boards that were quite large. I found I liked playing with a good bit of space around the pieces. I've made my own boards over the years something like he did. The first two boards re-done here are in his honor (Tom Whetsel specials).  One was made of a large mirror that he removed the black backing and then removed the silver material coating on the back of the mirror on alternating squares using a razor blade and lots of pencil erasers. He placed it on black velvet material and then added the frame. This caused reflections of the pieces on the mirrored squares. He had a very tall set and the result looked great. In my Sophmore year the school added a swimming pool and he collected left over ceramic tiles that were used to covered the floor (you know, those funky gray inch by inch ones) and the black ones used for making the depth numbers along the pool side. He made each "square" of the board from a 3x3 tile pattern, gray with a black center, and black with a gray center. This made a board with each square about three inches for 24" across the board then he added a 6" boarder all around for an overall size of 36". These what I based the boards on, and since I was on a roll, I left the last one the same size.

Hope you can find a use for these and have fun with them and enjoy using them. I had fun making them, they reminded me of some good times that are now very long gone and renewed my modeling skills. My uncle and teacher both are still around though I don't get to see either anymore.

If there is enough interest and downloads of these I may do another bunch (I have a couple of other board designs, and lots of piece design ideas).

These should be available on rendo soon, maybe tomorrow, depending on if, and when, they are aproved. Just look at the new freebies page.

This just one set of pieces and one of the boards. To much of a hassle to do all the pics with having to do the run-a-round now required to post here.

Very interesting and imaginative, keep it up and look forward to seeing more.

• I've uploaded a new set. Should be available on Rendo tomorrow.

s6 complete.jpg
    800 x 800 - 162K