Ripping a shirt - how to?

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I want to put a few tears/rips into an existing genesis shirt, and I'm not sure how to do it. Can someone post a quick'n'easy method of how to do it?

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Make an alpha map and apply it to the opacity strength channel in the surfaces tab.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited August 2012

ah,thank you! i was thinking it was for the opacity. Um, now, what is an alpha map and how do I create one? :D

edit: wait. is it black makes it transparent, or white?I can't remember.

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 1969

What shirt is it, Jaki? If I have it I can try to make you a "ripped up" transmap.

edited December 1969

What shirt is it, Jaki? If I have it I can try to make you a "ripped up" transmap.

I was thinking of using Smay's Bad Guy for Genesis:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bad-guy-for-genesis
    the singlet.

But the shirt itself doesn't actually matter - I want to use a plain shirt for a female character in the middle of a fight, so if you have any other suggestions, we can see which ones we own. :D

edited August 2012

ohh... I don't have that one
    Or if you want to try it yourself, the fast and easy answer is:

1. Open the file for the shirt
    2. On a new Layer, paint your "rips" using black as a color.
    3. Delete the layer of the original shirt ( not in your runtime... In the file you are creating)
    4. Put your "ripped up" black layer on top of a white layer
    5. Place your new map on the Opacity channel

Did that make sense? Let me know if I'm not...lol

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
    edited December 1969

ohh... I don't have that one
    Or if you want to try it yourself, the fast and easy answer is:

1. Open the file for the shirt
    2. On a new Layer, paint your "rips" using black as a color.
    3. Delete the layer of the original shirt
    4. Put your "ripped up" black layer on top of a white layer
    5. Place your new map on the Opacity channel

wow really? that's all it is?
    (although maybe I shouldn't put it that way, cos that's kinda offensive to people who texture...eeps)
    I have some "rip" brushes from Ron, so that should be ok.
    Alrighty, I"ll give it a try!
    Thank you, Ms Skunk! *grin*

edited August 2012

LOL.. yeah, pretty much... you may want to *actually put some of that "paint" on a copy of a new shirt image if you want to add shadows to the tears or anything... but yeah, pretty much... that's it!! Glad I could help! :)

edited December 1969

oh hey! that didn't turn out too bad!! I only wanted slight rips and tears, not a completely shredded shirt, so it came out pretty good!
    Hmmm shadows on the tears - would that be a drop shadow do you mean, or is that actually painting shadows on to them?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    oh hey! that didn't turn out too bad!! I only wanted slight rips and tears, not a completely shredded shirt, so it came out pretty good!
    Hmmm shadows on the tears - would that be a drop shadow do you mean, or is that actually painting shadows on to them?

Depending on how you did your tears, you could use a displacement map to actually simulate the "flapping" cloth.

Kendall

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:

Depending on how you did your tears, you could use a displacement map to actually simulate the "flapping" cloth.

Kendall

ooo now we're getting into complicated territory for me. LOL. It's mainly just tears tho, like from claws, so I havne't got any flapping cloth. But that is something I shall look into - I shall google how to make displacement maps, thank you!

edited August 2012

yeah... you can use a drop shadow! :)

Just take that same black layer you created for the transmap and copy into a new layer of the shirt (paste in place), then apply the drop shadow in the direction you need it... then, save as a copy and replace the old shirt file (Diffuse channel).

Sorry I was MIA for a minute... a displacement map is almost like a bump map..

You can get some simple "bumping" by using bevel and emboss on the ripped "paint" layer you created before. ( You may have to invert the image... black and white again... only this time... white will be the "high" raised part and black will the the "low" depressed part. You can put this image either on the bump channel or the displacement channel. Displacement tends to be a "stronger" effect

OK...if that didn't make sense...let me know..lol