How to export G2F's morph from Hex without changing vertices count and order?

wargiswargis Posts: 142
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello! Does anybody here make morphs (or maybe, simple morph adjustments) for Genesis 2 figures in Hexagon? Recently I found it usable for quick adjusting dialed morphs from DAZ, but I cannot figure out how to export OBJ from Hex to DAZ without changing vertex order or count. I tried bridge transferring, but when I transfer full G2F to Hex and start working, Hex crashes very often and apllying soft selection to facets becomes very complicated (I can use only tiny values, but with parts of G2F soft selection works much better).So I found more comfortable to work on simple exported OBJ files, cleared from all unnecessary surface materials.And with full G2F I cannot hide body groups I don't need.
There is a simple way in DaZ to make one morph (a face morph, for instance), from built-in G2F morphs - I export the morphed G2F as OBJ and re-import OBJ through Morph Loader and DS create the new morph flawlessly. All this OBJs are unwelded, broken to groups and they work fine in DAZ as morph targets. Then I import such OBJ in Hex to adjust the head a bit (without adding any vertices and changing their count, just moving polygons).But after exporting from Hex this OBJ becomes unusable as a morph target, DAZ informs me that geometry mismatches and morph creating fails. But the general number of vertices, facets and edges remains all the same, I just move them.
I tried another way to merge all groups in the OBJ and rename the outcoming figure (named after Lshin group) to Genesis 2 Female, as G2F transferred through DAZ Bridge. So I managed to import this morph in DAZ, but it explodes on dialing, so I guess it keeps vertex count but changes vertex order. How to export Genesis 2 from DAZ as OBJ for making morphs in Hexagon and how export from Hex to get rid from this problem?
There is a tutorial about all this - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/dazstudio/studio-relapp01, but pictures are lost - is there somewhere its copy with pictures of options?

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

The problem with the G2 figures is that Hex can't deal with the high resolution of the textures. You need to remove the textures before transferring via the bridge, or in Hex immediately after and before attempting to do any work. The resolution of the figure should be set to base.

If you have a 64 bit machine, you should make Hex LAA.

• wargiswargis Posts: 142
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much! I tried Hex LAA and 4GB patch and removed all materials and shading domains, which belonged to G2F - it seemingly helped somehow and my Hex didn't crash so far. Though I still find it a bit uncomfortable to send all the figure instead of separate parts, but when I save these stripped full figures as obj, it keeps vertex order and morphs work (at last!), so you solved my problem.

edited December 1969

Happy to have helped.

Something you can try - just an idea, I haven't done it because I have no need of G2 - is, after you have brought G2 in over the bridge and stripped out the textures and shading domians, to save it as .obj. When you next need it to make morphs, bring it over the bridge, delete and load your saved .obj.

If this does work, it will save you a lot of trouble deleting the textures every time you need to make morphs.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

wargis said:
    ... edit ...

But after exporting from Hex this OBJ becomes unusable as a morph target, DAZ informs me that geometry mismatches and morph creating fails. But the general number of vertices, facets and edges remains all the same, I just move them.
    ... edit ...

This is unfixable problem. Objects exported from D/S and Hexagon are never the very same size. I'll make models in Hexagon, import them into D/S and do a straight export back out. D/S cuts the file size [which for what I'm doing is good]. If I import that smaller file back into Hexagon and export it out again. It is once again a larger file.

The best way to do morphing with Hexagon [in my experience] is over the bridge. The base resolution model is shipped over, morph it, ship it back. Make morph. Don't worry about what it looks like. Test it, if keeping, dial to 0 and save it. Then load a fresh figure for any further testing.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Happy to have helped.

Something you can try - just an idea, I haven't done it because I have no need of G2 - is, after you have brought G2 in over the bridge and stripped out the textures and shading domians, to save it as .obj. When you next need it to make morphs, bring it over the bridge, delete and load your saved .obj.

If this does work, it will save you a lot of trouble deleting the textures every time you need to make morphs.

Or, just make a mat file ;-)

edited December 1969

Or, just make a mat file

By mat file, I take it you mean make a single grey texture and load that on G2 before sending over the bridge?

Would you not need to load it into every channel on G2?

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Or, just make a mat file

By mat file, I take it you mean make a single grey texture and load that on G2 before sending over the bridge?

Would you not need to load it into every channel on G2?

No texture images. One can select the figure on the Surface Tab, thereby having "all" of the surfaces selected, then go through the entire list and anywhere there's white on the image selected thing, click that and select "none" ... then save out a mat file ;-)

As I recall a mat file for G2F will also work on G2M but then it's a good idea to save out a second mat file for G2M. [to save time looking for it next time 'round]

One could make it any colour desired, white, grey, blue, whatever.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Patience:)

So, when you need to use G2 again, you drag the saved mat file onto it from the content list?

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Thanks, Patience:)

So, when you need to use G2 again, you drag the saved mat file onto it from the content list?

I think some drag items around, I just click on the icons. G2 has to be already selected in the scene and the mat will apply.
    btw - if/when removing fancy skins, it is not advisable to "Edit > undo" to get them back. It is better to reload them from their mat file or load a fresh G2. Some of those skin mats are very complicated and I have crashed D/S a few times on this matter ;-)

And yes, from the Content Library. If one puts a "!", it'll list at the beginning.

My Library > People > relevant figure > materials > ! whatyouwant

edited December 1969

Thanks for explaining that - this will save folks a lot of time :)

edited December 1969

No problem.