Gateway...

PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

502 Bad Gateway/504 Gateway timeout
Do I need to say more...

I just fail to understand, that there are countless of forums operated by amateurs, that have a large user base, lots of traffic and never any problems... They just keep working year after year after...

I assume the moderators have sent complaints to powers that be, but have you received any explanations as to what is the underlying problem that cannot be fixed?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

I located the problem with Ai devil

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,345

try coffee spill keyboard

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

FirstBastion said:

try coffee spill keyboard

Didn't help, it's now dripping on my lap... Luckily it's friday afternoon and the weekend starts in one minute cheeky 

• PerttiA said:

I assume the moderators have sent complaints to powers that be, but have you received any explanations as to what is the underlying problem that cannot be fixed?

It's kinda complicated, but the bottom line is yes its on the slate to be fixed.  The fix isn't really a simple one, it's essentially replacing the forum software which involves migrating all the data etc.  Given those contraints, it's not something that can be done overnight, and it sadly has to take a back-seat when other more pressing issues arise.

Everyone is very aware of the problem though, and it's not being ignored.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

The symptoms are similar to a DDOS attack, but you would have the same problems with the whole site and not just with the forums.

Does make me wonder if the bridge between the store software and the forum software isn't all that compatible, or if it just can't cope with the traffic.

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

PerttiA said:

It's kinda complicated, but the bottom line is yes its on the slate to be fixed.  The fix isn't really a simple one, it's essentially replacing the forum software which involves migrating all the data etc.  Given those contraints, it's not something that can be done overnight, and it sadly has to take a back-seat when other more pressing issues arise.

Thank you, although the part of replacing the forum software sounds ominous...

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

As someone who joined the forums in late 2016 and read how many folks referred to lost posts from the previous forum, all I ask is that a priority is made to 'safely' and 'securly' transfer the current forums into the software when it is done.

Please.

• memcneil70 said:

As someone who joined the forums in late 2016 and read how many folks referred to lost posts from the previous forum, all I ask is that a priority is made to 'safely' and 'securly' transfer the current forums into the software when it is done.

Please.

Actually there have been two changes, the last of which did preserve the forums (bar some links not working, as I recall). It was the older move that didn't carry the old data across, though it remained aailable as an archive for some time.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

With the gallery update, the forum lost the gallery image links.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176

Richard must really hate me. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,584

..."replacing the forum software"?

Oh geez..  

Hopefully whatever the forums are migrated to will have a much better built in spell checking, a search routine where we can specify word strings as our target instead of just individual keywords as well as filters like date/date range, user name, by thread title, and by post. 

Also please don't roll it out during a najir sales event.  Had enough with new store updates causing havoc with shopping and submitting orders (often times during the PC+....I mean, Daz+ sale).

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

It's truly terrible... It's been progressively more and more ponderous and frustrating to visit here for the past several weeks.

Often I'll read a few posts and go to the next page, only to have the forum freeze at which point it will probably take ten or fifteen minutes to unfreeze, so I just give up and move on to something else and when I try again it's the same... it feels like I'm back in the 90s using AOL to view a big document... the only thing that's missing is that horrific modem "handshake" sound.

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

PerttiA said:

Thank you for at least acknowledging this.

Its often frustrating to be a part of something like a community that seems at times it's being more tolerated than supported or encouraged.

I'm not being sarcastic or facetious, I do actually appreciate your response.

• DandeneDandene Posts: 162

I've had to skip a few conversations because of the errors or given up while in the midst of typing a response.  I took someone's advice and started using notepad to write my responses just to prevent potential loss.  When the forums get particularly rambunctious, I end up just waiting a day or two (or wait till I'm posting to the gallery) to see if the forums are behaving themselves.  It's good to know the problem is acknowledged.  This is the only forum that I post on, so it's frustrating when it goes down.  crying

LeatherGryphon said:

I see your squirrel with the animated whip is gone 

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited August 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Was wondering where your original post had gone, what's really got me is where the hell Jack's post came from, been back in this thread twice since I posted and this is the first I've seen it, CloudFlare playing funny buggers again.

Post edited by Bejaymac on

Bejaymac said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Was wondering where your original post had gone, what's really got me is where the hell Jack's post came from, been back in this thread twice since I posted and this is the first I've seen it, CloudFlare playing funny buggers again.

Same with the number of new posts to a thread... sometimes for example I'll see "10", but there are really only three new ones, or I'll see "6" but there are really eight...

I have been guilty of assuming others ignore my posts and repeat stuff I already said only to have a bunch of unseen posts appear next visit and I have repeated what others said blush

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Bejaymac said:

The symptoms are similar to a DDOS attack, but you would have the same problems with the whole site and not just with the forums.

Does make me wonder if the bridge between the store software and the forum software isn't all that compatible, or if it just can't cope with the traffic.

I've found, most of the time that the store remains up when there is a Cloudfare issue or something that causes the forum load issues.  SO perhaps its just this horrible forum software.  The HiveWire forums are just miles better in reliablity and really nice features.   

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

PerttiA said:

502 Bad Gateway/504 Gateway timeout
    Do I need to say more...

I just fail to understand, that there are countless of forums operated by amateurs, that have a large user base, lots of traffic and never any problems... They just keep working year after year after...

yes 

Adding forum problems...

Refreshing the page was "Waiting for www.mczbf.com" for quite a long time.
    Going to the page, opened a mostly blank page with the text "Hello World"

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Hahaha, I like that! Not!