Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA - version 8.5.1.19, Now Available! (UPDATED)

Comments

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I think what they did was when the beta came out they did a database statement that basicly authorized the beta to everyone that had C8.5 Pro. I would do as Acudia3D and open a ticket asking that you are not getting Beta either, point em to this page and it should be set pretty quick if thats the issue.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

greg018 said:
    Just a note.

For a while i could not get the new Carrara 8.5 Beta working with Windows 8.1 64, but after installing the PotsgreSQL CMS and Render Node, everything works perfectly. Just something to try if anyone else has the same problem :)

Same here - the 8.6 Beta always crashed on start, but after installing the Postgre Beta it works fine.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I'm curious....looks like we just passed the 3 month mark since this beta was released...

Does anyone have any idea when they might wrap this up and move on? I'm hoping it's not like the last beta, which lasted over a year or so? :) :) :)

Lots of people waiting for them to get C9 out the door :) :)

edited December 1969

Interesting...

I checked some of the old forum posts, and it seems (I could be off) that the first 8.5 beta came out in May 2012, almost 3 years ago. And the final 8.5 was released 16 months later, in Sept. 2013. One year and 4 months of beta.

And now we're one year and 5 months later, and still working on a 8.5.1 (?) beta.

Does that sound right? Hard to believe.

edited February 2015

Hold on I was wrong...

8.5.0.21 was released in Sept. 2011 !!! That's a long time ago.. :) :)

Almost exactly 2 years of 8.5 beta??

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

That must be pretty close to Silo's record!

How long has Bullett been in Beta?

• UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, this version doesn't work on my computer, just like all of the previous version of Carrara. It crash instantly after being launched, so I don't even have a log... Well, I think that this is it for me, I've never been able to use carrara so I can't tell if it's a good software of not, but well, I wish hours of fun to those who can use it.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    That must be pretty close to Silo's record!

How long has Bullett been in Beta?

We've waited since 2008 for a Silo update, so 6 years.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    We've waited since 2008 for a Silo update, so 6 years.

I don't know how to break this to you, but....

Ummm....after 6 years...uh, I don't think it's coming. You can probably stop waiting :) :) :) :)

Heck, even the name of the company that produced it...."Nevercenter" ??... :) :) :)

I dunno, seems like they're being pretty clear :) :) :) Kinda like when DAZ gives away its software for free :) :)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

They just did the update this past yr., so waiting a yr or maybe 2 for an update could be worse

• skydatskydat Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I'm also amazed this is still in Beta. I think I saw the first post about downloading Beta back in 2013-2012 even? I just purchased 8.5 Pro assuming that it would now be out of Beta. I was wrong, as is none of my smart content is showing up. I've tried to download the "Beta" as per instructions from DAZ and I can confirm what other users are reporting in this thread - it's not possible to do it, no discount is applied and you are asked to pay $199 dollars despite the product description clearly stating that 8.5 Pro users are entitled to it for free.

People have been reporting this for weeks, and yet it is currently still an issue, I have raised another support ticket. Would it not be easier if DAZ actually fixed it rather than deal with all the separate support tickets?

I think the reason they are heavily discounting 8.5 Pro is that when 9 comes out the Beta will be withdrawn, and you will have to "upgrade" to get access back to your smart content.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

6) Fixed #CAR-108 - Fixed an issue where using a sky crashed the application on exit
    Anyone not familiar with "the application" might wonder if Chicken Little was involved in the sky crashes.

And...
    Does anyone have any idea when they might wrap this up and move on?

That's easy... Soon.

*runs away before she can be pummeled with keyboards*

• destrechtdestrecht Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Where is the discount? I got all the way to the credit card, and the only discount showing is my pc+ discount. I don't want to accidentally buy this.

edited December 1969

You have to raise a support ticket. Issue has been going on for weeks, instead of fixing it globally they seem to fix it on a per request basis. Support is however very good, they got back to me fast.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    Thanks fixmypcmike and dbdigital2 for your advice - I'll go with backing up the manifest file and of course i must remember to do it everytime I add content.
    I'm sure others will find this very useful info and apologies for turning this thread into a DIM discussion but I am much happier with DIM as a result. :coolsmile:

No problem, glad I could help. But I would like to mention there is more than one manifest file. There is one for each product you purchase/download from Daz. Where they are located is how DIM knows if a product has been downloaded and/or installed. I am betting that was just a typo but I wanted to make sure. :)

Understood ! I should have said "back up the manifest FOLDER " which contains all the manifest files.
    There is only ONE manifest folder isn't there ?

users/documents/public documents/ daz3D/install manager/manifest files

edited December 1969

OK, support added my to the Beta users list and I got it installed, changed the font and it works OK. Now smart content won't show up. Postgress is running, and everything works fine in Daz Studio 4.7. I've never had or used the "Valentia" product or database, though someone (Kitka) above posted that you have to re-install this legacy database to get the Carrara to Postgress connection working? How can I do this since I only started using DS in January and none of my products have ever used Valentia, and it does not appear anywhere in DIM?

As a new "virgin" user of a fresh DS4.7 and Postgress database one would expect that my installation path should be the most straightforward with no database conversions necessary - evidently this is not the case. If it's this much hassle for a new user to install a fresh clean non-legacy package and get basic content showing up, then Carrara 8.5 Beta is nowhere near ready for prime-time.

As an aside I've checked that the Postgress database is running and listening on port 1024. Postgress is a stable and mature product, so I doubt that's the trouble. Also, having worked with various databases before, it is normally a trivial matter to connect to them and do SQL queries as long as you connect to the right port. I can't understand how Carrara Beta can mess this up. Is there a log file I can check for Carrara to see what it's doing, is there an ini file registry setting that tells it where to look for Postgress? It would be good to put this issue to bed once and for all!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It is not the older Valentina db that you need, it is CMS (Content Management Service) which needs to be running as a Process in windows.

If you look in Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service you should find it there, and be able to start it from that menu.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

It is not the older Valentina db that you need, it is CMS (Content Management Service) which needs to be running as a Process in windows.

If you look in Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service you should find it there, and be able to start it from that menu.

Thank you, I couldn't figure out why even when tried loading DS so it was running in the processes with DS running it wouldn't load in the Carrara Beta, that did the trick and now works for me.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Note that is the Valentina Database, which, even though it is not used, is still needed with this Beta of Carrara. (Missing it results in a crash.)
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bigh - 09 March 2015 08:04 PM

Spooky does this version DS 4.8 beta work with Carrara 8.5 ?
    And will the duf files be the same as the old versions ?

DUF files have not changed as a basis, though they have a few new things in the extra section which Carrara should ignore. There should be no change in DS-Carrara interoperability.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

That's good news, bigh. Just as I'm getting ready to start using Carrara again, we get hit with DS 4.8.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited March 2015

Note that is the Valentina Database, which, even though it is not used, is still needed with this Beta of Carrara. (Missing it results in a crash.)

Since the installation of the Carrara Beta and the CMS, a lot of problems with file references have been occurring. They corrupt not only the most current version, but also old versions of the working file. Such as proj1mar15th.car, proj1mar16th.car,... This means the entire effort can be wasted. The “Hudson” error seems to be the worst, but there is also a "missing description" error that has occurred for the Daz hair cap installed to the default location (mention because there is no way Carrara should lose that file description). Any insights?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53763/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53372/P75/#785373

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53372/P30/#776753

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53921/#782721

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53948/

Post edited by Diomede on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Looks like there's a new beta - just seen it listed in the Install Manager product updates. Haven't downloaded it yet cos I'm in the middle of a long render. But it'll be something to look at in the morning :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Looks like there's a new beta - just seen it listed in the Install Manager product updates. Haven't downloaded it yet cos I'm in the middle of a long render. But it'll be something to look at in the morning :)

thanks Tim :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Excellent news: OS X Yosemite + 8.5.1 64-bit + Postgres + Smart Content = IT WORKS!! FINALLY!!!

:cheese:

Now I can play with it...

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Happy that you're able to play now, Tim. Have fun! Go ahead, try to break it.

edited December 1969

First post was updated. :) Yes we finally managed to stop the crashes when you remove Valentina, and run PostgreSQL by itself. :)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

First post was updated. :) Yes we finally managed to stop the crashes when you remove Valentina, and run PostgreSQL by itself. :)

What about the crash that occurs if you choose to continue to run Valentina, and not install PostgreSQL at all?

edited December 1969

de3an said:

What about the crash that occurs if you choose to continue to run Valentina, and not install PostgreSQL at all?Valentina is problematic in our experience with implementation, especially on the Mac. We did not choose to change to PostgreSQL lightly.

It is highly recommended that you switch to the PostgreSQL CMS.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

What about the crash that occurs if you choose to continue to run Valentina, and not install PostgreSQL at all?

Valentina is problematic in our experience with implementation, especially on the Mac. We did not choose to change to PostgreSQL lightly.

It is highly recommended that you switch to the PostgreSQL CMS.

Well, you really didn't answer my question.
    I choose to continue to use Valentina because it is compatible with the current released version of Carrara. PostgreSQL is not.
    I prefer not to break my current Carrara installation by installing PostgreSQL.
    I usually look forward to beta testing the new Carrara releases, but they normally can run side by side without breaking the official version.
    If the crashing that occurs if you are only running Valentina has been resolved, then I'll try it (basically to look for newly broken features).

Has the crash that occurs if you are only running Valentina been resolved?