Is it worth the effort to choose octane over iray in daz?

I wish to know how people feel about octane render in daz.

Does it worthy the effort to use octane in daz?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,457

As far as I have understood, you need to be online for it to work (dealbreaker for me) and there are enough posts about problems it has caused... So, in my opinion, not worth trying.

• PerttiA said:

As far as I have understood, you need to be online for it to work (dealbreaker for me) and there are enough posts about problems it has caused... So, in my opinion, not worth trying.

thanks

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited August 2022

AFAIK Octane can render out of core, that means your daz scenes will use ram when vram is not enough and still render with the gpu. The new cycles in blender 3 does the same. Iray doesn't.

Post edited by Padone on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Padone said:

AFAIK Octane can render out of core, that means your daz scenes will use ram when vram is not enough and still render with the gpu. The new cycles in blender 3 does the same. Iray doesn't.

+1

Other than the huge benefits that out of core rendering gives you, for a casual user it's probably not worth the extra effort the optimize all your shaders. But for someone a bit more serious, and willing to invest the time and effort to really learn Octane (there are many settings you can tweak to improve render speed/quality - but you need to take the time to learn how to use them), it can have some big benefits. Especially if you plan on using the same assets repeatedly for multiple renders. For one-off renders the extra work in optimizing the shaders probably isn't worth it, unless you need the extra memory - free is a lot cheaper than a new GPU with more memory laugh

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

Personally, I'd stick with Iray. I've experimented quite a lot with Octane in C4D, and it's a fine renderer, but I can't say that it's better than Iray overall. All renderers have their own strengths and weaknesses, and you'd have to really like the look of Octane or need specific features in order for it to be worth the extra hassle of using it within DS. Also, unlike Iray, Octane REQUIRES a supported NVidia GPU to work, whereas Iray can render on CPU only but benefits from GPU acceleration.