Regretting The Day I Got Comfortable Using Smart Content

JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Recently I upgraded to Studio 4.5 the latest one and I just Can't get the Content Database Management Service to start working so none of my Smart Content is working.

I won't be surprised if in Studio 5 They Remove that feature.

I have tried uninstalling it reinstalling it and studio, I have done everything in the content database maintanece and still nothing.

It hates me, Studio 4.5 Hates me.

Comments

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Got the same problem. After many tries I got fed up and created a new one after backing up the old in case of I want to try to recover it one day as I had customized it

Find your DB and move all the datas somewhere else. Uninstall DS4.5 and install it again. It should recreate the DB
    You may have to reimport metadatas after that.

If you had some categories customizations, you may have lost them

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Do you mean the Data folder

edited December 1969

On Win 7 the default path for the database is C:\program Data\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases. I don't know for other OS

There you find some files for the database :

ContentDB.blb
    ContentDB.dat
    ContentDB.ind
    ContentDB.vdb
    master.vdb

Move theses files elsewhere

edited December 1969

Did it but nothing. I'm stuck

edited December 1969

OK other method

Uninstall DS4.5 and contents
    Intstall it again but this time customize your DB content manager installation
    When installing the DB Content manager specify a new folder for your DB content
    After installation check that the "DAZ Content Management Service" is started
    Start DS and go to Content Library->content DB Maintenance->Re-import metadata

edited December 1969

Hey thanks for your help

I think I got it now

I am just hoping it stays turned o

edited December 1969

No problem, glad to help. You shouldn't have anymore problem...till the next update ;)

edited December 1969

Lets Hope so

You know something I still regret getting to the point where I can work with Genesis in Studio 4 with out the smart content

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I don't use smart content. I come from DS3A and I'm so used to the Content Library that it's all I use. I still run the CMS and let it import metadata but I don't think I'll ever use that feature very much, if at all.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

I also don't use the smart content. I for some odd strange reason like to you the content library and find the stuff.

edited December 1969

IN studio 3 I know where everything is but when it comes to my genesis content I find my self a bit lost

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Smart Content is really not very user friendly for a couple reasons:

1) It resets every time you click on something else in the scene list. This makes it particularly irksome when you want to apply material presets to an outfit that has multiple pieces to it. Each time you click on the next item, the smart content view resets and you have to drill back into where you were and then scroll down to the material presets. Terrible user experience.

2) It lumps everything together into one bucket with no discernible sort order. Thus, it's hard to tell what is the actual figure item itself to load vs a material preset and so on.

3) There is a vast amount of content that does not come with metadata, so you can't rely on it for finding everything you own anyway.

I long ago gave up on Smart Content. The only thing I ever do with it now is sometimes use it for a quick browse and then use the right-click option to "Open in Content Library" to jump the library tab's location and then work from the library. But more often than not, I just use the Content Library and ignore Smart Content altogether.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

1) It resets every time you click on something else in the scene list. This makes it particularly irksome when you want to apply material presets to an outfit that has multiple pieces to it. Each time you click on the next item, the smart content view resets and you have to drill back into where you were and then scroll down to the material presets. Terrible user experience.

2) It lumps everything together into one bucket with no discernible sort order. Thus, it's hard to tell what is the actual figure item itself to load vs a material preset and so on.

3) There is a vast amount of content that does not come with metadata, so you can't rely on it for finding everything you own anyway.

I long ago gave up on Smart Content. The only thing I ever do with it now is sometimes use it for a quick browse and then use the right-click option to "Open in Content Library" to jump the library tab's location and then work from the library. But more often than not, I just use the Content Library and ignore Smart Content altogether.

BINGO!! You understand!!
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I also use the Content Library tab, and seldom look in Smart Content, and even then, only out of interest. I always have the Content Management Service running as I use the search feature in the Content Library often, and I think it is terrific.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    cwichura said:

BINGO!! You understand!!

Exactly!

• DaleCar_06ae99e4f4DaleCar_06ae99e4f4 Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

Another interesting problem with smart content. I moved a bunch of my smart content onto a different hard drive, Now all that stuff is missing from the smart content in Daz Studio. This pretty much makes genesis useless to me or nearly so.

It implies that eventually if you need to add a hard drive or change computers. You may have to re-install all the meta=data files. Doesn't that sound like loads of fun if you have a lot.

I don't think smart content was well thought out.

Dale

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Another interesting problem with smart content. I moved a bunch of my smart content onto a different hard drive, Now all that stuff is missing from the smart content in Daz Studio. This pretty much makes genesis useless to me or nearly so.

It implies that eventually if you need to add a hard drive or change computers. You may have to re-install all the meta=data files. Doesn't that sound like loads of fun if you have a lot.

I don't think smart content was well thought out.

Dale

That is incorrect. I've switched computers several times and have never had to reinstall any content. I've also moved content to different runtimes. Even if you don't do it inside the DS4 interface (I don't), it's easy to fix. Adamr001 has a tutorial here which covers all the possible permutations: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5639/

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...as with the latest release of MS Office (which I have to deal with at the day job), it seems like Daz tried to make the software so "smart" it actually became more difficult to use in an efficient manner. I disabled the CMS and only use the content tab when I do work with Studio4. Don't have much of an issue save for the fact I don't care for the horizontally scrolling display (and the fact it takes up almost a quarter of my available RAM).

3.1.2.32A is so elegant in comparison even with the memory management issues it still has.

For my writing and statistical work, I still use Office2K at home.

Less time spent jumping through additional hoops of a cumbersome "smart" UI means more work gets done.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited December 1969

I love Smart Content! I started with DS 4 (never had 3 or earlier). When content comes without metadata, I create my own, following a tutorial I got in the old forum. When content comes with metadata that I don't like the organization of, I modify it to be the way I like it, using that same tutorial.

edited December 1969

I have all of my content on my D drive and a back up of it on another drive. Studio has no problem with that you just need to update the directories in the manager

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • DaleCar_06ae99e4f4DaleCar_06ae99e4f4 Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

Fixmypcmike posted

That is incorrect. I’ve switched computers several times and have never had to reinstall any content. I’ve also moved content to different runtimes. Even if you don’t do it inside the DS4 interface (I don’t), it’s easy to fix. Adamr001 has a tutorial here which covers all the possible permutations: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5639/

I looked over that tutorial. Pity its PC specific and I'm on a Mac.

I'm just guessing that moving from one computer to another could be a problem. In my instance. I had to move my smart content to an external drive where Daz was actually located. Since that time a lot of my smart content is blank.

I'm just getting real tired of fixing things to make the various DAZ upgrades work. Switching from Daz 3 to Daz 4 totaly screwed up my runtimes. In Daz 3 it used to be in neat alphabetical order even though it was spread over several different places on my HD. Since upgrading to Daz 4. All my content purchased outside of Daz is so messed up it takes me a real long time to find the things I need. But of course. That complaint is a little off topic

But be that as it may. I agree with the people that dislike the smart content feature. Even for the stuff that works. Its less than helpfull having two different types of content directories to search through.

Dale

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Betty Swollocks... just installed Stephanie 5 and my Smart Content comes up blank now.

Not my best week in DS4, LOL

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2012

I use smart content for genesis stuff and I do find it to be a lot faster than hunting through the content library. I still use the content library for Poser stuff but I sort that all out manually so I can find things easier. It's not as fast as smart content but reliable.

I don't plan on organizing my genesis/Studio Native content at the moment since I prefer to spend the time working on new pieces, but one day if I do go that way I may stop using smart content simply because moving items around always seems to break meta-data. Even though I've been told you can move things within studio and the metadata still works, that hasn't been the case for me.

Smart content could be better, but when it does work it does make things much faster to accomplish. Too bad it breaks for people :(

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I use content library for anything non-Genesis.

I got database running again, but none of the S5 bundle showing... next time I get a spare week, I'll need to reorganize so that's it's actually logical how to find Genesis stuff in content library and put an end to this hit-and-miss nonsense.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    Yeah, I use content library for anything non-Genesis.

I got database running again, but none of the S5 bundle showing... next time I get a spare week, I'll need to reorganize so that's it's actually logical how to find Genesis stuff in content library and put an end to this hit-and-miss nonsense.

Thats why I haven't done it yet, I did my poser content in chunks but I was fairly family with where stuff was the challenges I had with organization. I'm pretty blind to how the daz native content is laid out except for a few items I have to get to manually because the metadata never worked.

It would be a big undertaking and I know one day it will happen but I've got to many projects on my plate at the moment. (and it's not fun)

edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Fixmypcmike posted

That is incorrect. I’ve switched computers several times and have never had to reinstall any content. I’ve also moved content to different runtimes. Even if you don’t do it inside the DS4 interface (I don’t), it’s easy to fix. Adamr001 has a tutorial here which covers all the possible permutations: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5639/

I looked over that tutorial. Pity its PC specific and I'm on a Mac.

I'm just guessing that moving from one computer to another could be a problem. In my instance. I had to move my smart content to an external drive where Daz was actually located. Since that time a lot of my smart content is blank.

I'm just getting real tired of fixing things to make the various DAZ upgrades work. Switching from Daz 3 to Daz 4 totaly screwed up my runtimes. In Daz 3 it used to be in neat alphabetical order even though it was spread over several different places on my HD. Since upgrading to Daz 4. All my content purchased outside of Daz is so messed up it takes me a real long time to find the things I need. But of course. That complaint is a little off topic

But be that as it may. I agree with the people that dislike the smart content feature. Even for the stuff that works. Its less than helpfull having two different types of content directories to search through.

Dale

DS can't guess that you moved your content that is why you must redefine your content library path accordingly to where you moved them and may be reimport metadatas. DS4 content library still work like DS3 content library. No change on that so you shouldn't have a mess unless you move content

I don't use smart content that often because I have to reorganize it (again) but that's usefull when you organize it and create metadatas for poser stuff. And also the search function is time saving if you have all content indexed. Customizing the "compatibility" of every materials so that they show in smart content for the garment you just loaded instead of having to navigate in the pose library to find it. There is potentially some big workflow gain but a lot of work has to be done to get it

edited December 1969

I just did a re-import of metadata and now it looks like everything is now correctly displaying

I'd checked the following boxes:
    "remove un-mapped base paths and orphans"
    "remove orphaned file references"
    "re-import metadata"

It took a good 15-20 minutes to execute, but so far looking like my smart content is now the best it's been.

I wonder if too many "orphaned" and "unmapped" items affect stability of database? Or maybe I was just lucky... either way, I feel greatly relieved ...at least for the time being :lol:

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

IN studio 3 I know where everything is but when it comes to my genesis content I find my self a bit lost

MOST of the Genesis content is in People>Genesis ... There are some folks that like to take advantage of other areas of the My Library but I move all that to the main Genesis folder. I even created a Heroes folder for those types of projects and characters and sets that come Genesis way. I also created a "Fantasy" folder for creatures from RAWN and Midnight Stories and others so they don't get mixed up with regular skins. I keep the Male and Female skins in Male Genesis and Female Genesis under the Characters folder so those don't too mixed up (this library will grow and grow so just thinking ahead) Same with clothing. Just because all clothes will, for the most part, work on ANY shape there are specific male and female outfits so I keep those also separated. One other thing, if there is a set of clothing I make sure the Materials folder is within that folder so I don't have to hunt around for it. Once you get into a groove you like and understand your Genesis content folder will be easy to maintain WITHOUT dependency on the Smart Content folder. I don't use it. It's a botched mess for a good many of us and really not worth the hassle.

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

Hi guys,

my two cents:
    I love the smart content tab and use it all the time for any Genesis work, which I use all the time.
    Cant remember the last time I loaded any Gen 4's into DAZ.

Issue No 1 was bugging me too but not that long ago I discovered this:

If you have genesis loaded, covered with all sorts of pieces of clothing make sure that you are using the Items Tab not the product tab that way when you click on each piece of clothing / prop or accessory the materials options will pop up directly for just that item
    Then move to you next item and so forth. I find this much faster now.

Issue No 2: 4.5 Has fixed that now with labels added per item such as:
    Clothing / Attachment / Accessory / Material - makes things much faster too identify what is what..

Issue No 3: Still a small bummer but it is slowly disappearing as products are released or updated.

------

I was such a freak about managing my content categories for this and that, folders within folders...now
    ah hell I just install, load my content and the stuff I need...well

pops out of the snow like daisy's.