Fresh install content?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've really bungled my content installation, where some stuff show up in the smart content whereas some other stuff does. Is there a way to uninstall so that when I reinstall my paths aren't kept? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it just automatically pathed everything the wonky way I did originally.

On this topic, why is the stuff I install in "myLibrary" not appearing in the smart content tab? I'n getting a little tired of having to root around in my content hierarchies with such a small (and slightly annoying) folder interface.

Thanks!

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited May 2012

First, what platform are you on? Mac or Windows?
    I know the Mac OS X Installers, specially the first version of BitRock installers never defaults to a good path on Mac OSX, but there's an app for that ;-)

Post edited by Totte on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited May 2012

I'm on PC, Windows 7. They say to save in C:/Users//Documents/DAZ/MyLibrary or whatever, but I've been using the C:/DAZ/myLibrary path

Is the one if the user documents the better path? Does it have some hard coded magic to put stuff in the right place?

For example, I installed West Park last night in the daz format istead of the poser format I was using in Poser, but I can't even find it using the search feature!

Post edited by Testing6790 on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

You're on Window, I hope some of the Windows people can help you, but basically (which was the most difficult thing with all this for me when I started two years ago), you really need to grasp how the Runtime-structure is supposed to be setup, and find a way that works for you.

I think there are some great tutorials on that, I googled it to find how I needed to set things up. Not to say it is bad, but the whole way the runtime works is from the early 90s and I don't thing anyone who designed that could even dream about how much stuff there is now.

edited December 1969

I'm used to poser, so I'm very familiar with runtimes, the issue I have is that I don't know which path the smart content tab actually maps to

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

It doesn't matter what folder you use, as long as it isn't in Program Files (which yours isn't). There have been a couple of plugins which, annoyingly, place their files in the default location but you can get round that if you run into it by adding the new folder as an extra content directory.

Smart Content will show only items with metadata -to see older content you will need to look in the Content Library pane.

edited December 1969

It doesn't matter what folder you use, as long as it isn't in Program Files (which yours isn't). There have been a couple of plugins which, annoyingly, place their files in the default location but you can get round that if you run into it by adding the new folder as an extra content directory.

Smart Content will show only items with metadata -to see older content you will need to look in the Content Library pane.

yeah, I read a really good guide on daz3d docs about this issue, http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazcontentconfiguration